Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kelp Plankton posted:

retirement is treating oak well

I think he's saying that he came to study the Regional Forms, but someone with better Japanese can take a stab at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Waffleman_ posted:

It would honestly be weird if they weren't.

Lillie is a lillin.

Lillin are human, who are Pokemon.

Yo whoever said you wanted more EVA in you Pokemon you're getting your wish this gen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Feranon posted:

new R4s work on all 3DS systems, or at least mine does. your best bet if you get that itch to go back and play old DS games is to do what I did, get a new R4 and load it full of DS roms :yarr:

I can't find a reputable seller, or, in fact, even one that uses HTTPS.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Looks like we got confirmation Starmie, Cubone and Hypno don't get Alola forms since they were all standard in the trailer. Slightly bummed about Hypno tbh, he could really use an evo/megaevo or new form.

Also that dancing Bug and Wishiwashi are island guardians like Gumshoos/Faticate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Lillie is a lillin.

Lillin are human, who are Pokemon.

i warned you about fuckin that raticate

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benach posted:

New short japanese trailer (yes, another one). Has very quick shots of a lot of things. Not much new, but there is a shot of the menu when selecting the Z-Move and a shot of selecting a Poke-HM.

dress up confirmed

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's professor oak's brother, Kyle Oak

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

oddium posted:

it's professor oak's brother, Kyle Oak

Having it be the original Professor Oak's brother would be the coward's way out

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Maybe its Blue's dad.

He ran away to Hawaii after his son lost the championship after 5 minutes.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

retirement is treating oak well

There's no way they're going to localise this to actually be like, actual Prof. Oak right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why wouldn't they? It's Professor Samuel Oak, after all.

What, a man's not allowed to get a tan on vacation?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Professor Oak should always be doing something silly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yo whoever said you wanted more EVA in you Pokemon you're getting your wish this gen.

Why would someone want this though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know why you guys are so much in denial about an old man getting a tan and a mullet.

It seems like a natural evolution.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blackface is in poor taste

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Here's the screen of what looks like the HM replacement

Looks to me like you're either given specific Pokes to act as HMs like the Latios Flute from ORAS or (hopefully) you get to assign your Pokes to those duties

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i've seen plenty of people retire to somewhere sunny and get a tan like that, its not weird or anything

hes havin a good time in Alola like any old scientist would

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Professor Oak getting some sun while doing his pokeresearch and getting some fine island strange during those breezy Alolan nights

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Here's the screen of what looks like the HM replacement

Looks to me like you're either given specific Pokes to act as HMs like the Latios Flute from ORAS or (hopefully) you get to assign your Pokes to those duties

Its definitely specific pokemon, there's no way in gently caress they're modelling it for all of them and they've consistently shown Charizard/Sharpedo/Lapras/Mudsdale/Herdier

Plus the original announcement like a month ago talked about befriending specific pokemon who wouldn't join your team.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oak just needs a margarita and he's full Buffet.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

i've seen plenty of people retire to somewhere sunny and get a tan like that, its not weird or anything

hes havin a good time in Alola like any old scientist would

I'll be the poo poo head who says it but he's inappropriately dark to the point where if they actually localize him as the "real" Professor Oak there will be buzzfeed articles and memes and like "...whoah what really" reactions on the non-nerd internet

Like Professor Oak is one of the characters from Pokemon that non-nerds know of and he's not known to be black

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

Its definitely specific pokemon, there's no way in gently caress they're modelling it for all of them and they've consistently shown Charizard/Sharpedo/Lapras/Mudsdale/Herdier

But I don't wanna ride on Charizard :(

Why couldn't they pick a cool flying type that isn't everywhere.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would someone want this though

Bad people

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

But I don't wanna ride on Charizard :(

Why couldn't they pick a cool flying type that isn't everywhere.

You knew this was coming when they kept Charizard solo in smash and gave him two megaevos.

Honestly I want to ride Charizard-Y anyways. Charizard and Charizard-X look fat and dumb.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'll be the poo poo head who says it but he's inappropriately dark to the point where if they actually localize him as the "real" Professor Oak there will be buzzfeed articles and memes and like "...whoah what really" reactions on the non-nerd internet

Like Professor Oak is one of the characters from Pokemon that non-nerds know of and he's not known to be black

have you never seen people get a really intense tan before

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They should of made his skin that hideous orange shade people turn when they use cheap spray on tan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tans are not loving blackface jesus christ thread

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

have you never seen people get a really intense tan before

i mean yeah but oak there is blacker than the "black" PC character choices in XY

for the record i'm not saying it's blackface, it's just incredibly weird. Like people will legit think "wait I thought Oak was white?" Like yes, he's clearly tan but it doesn't read as tan; dude looks black, which makes it feel super weird

The only way I can imagine it not being weird is if his tan-ness is the subject of a joke in some fashion, like he was too busy studying to spend any time outside so he had to get a ludicrously dark spray tan to fit in. Because just as a reminder this dude

is not gonna tan that dark

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 8, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I don't want any spray-tanned people. Especially in my Pokémon game.

As for Oak, I suppose people find it strange for him to appear in this game since it's been several years since his last appearance in a Pokémon game (I think it was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?) and he was already fairly old in the Gen 1 games. Shouldn't he be at or over 80 by now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tans

are not

blackface

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

i mean yeah but oak there is blacker than the "black" PC character choices in XY

Personally, I think that's more to say that the 3 skin colour choices of XY were kinda limited and not great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I don't want any spray-tanned people. Especially in my Pokémon game.

As for Oak, I suppose people find it strange for him to appear in this game since it's been several years since his last appearance in a Pokémon game (I think it was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?) and he was already fairly old in the Gen 1 games. Shouldn't he be at or over 80 by now?

ORAS canonised that new pokemon games may be entirely new dimensions from previous ones, so clearly in this dimension good ol Samuel Oak is just a bit younger than he used to be.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Or maybe healthcare in the Pokemon world is just really drat good.

Hell I think there was a 3000 year old guy walking around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Or maybe healthcare in the Pokemon world is just really drat good.

Hell I think there was a 3000 year old guy walking around.

Have we ever seen a person die? The only graveyard in the series is explicitly for Pokemon and you can be an 8ft tall immortal giant and barely merit a second glance.

:tinfoil:

Seriously what the gently caress was up with Az

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

only an absolute dipshit would see a character in a tropical setting with a tropical shirt and go 'hey wait i don't understand what happened to his skin'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffles Inc. posted:

Super No Vacancy posted:

blackface is in poor taste

Okay so I know I poo poo on a lot of posts in this thread for having dumb opinions on pokemon designs or just not being all that knowledgeable about comp play/the mechanics in game but can we all agree that these are the two dumbest posts?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zore posted:

Have we ever seen a person die? The only graveyard in the series is explicitly for Pokemon and you can be an 8ft tall immortal giant and barely merit a second glance.

:tinfoil:

Seriously what the gently caress was up with Az

the real Ultra Beast.... is humanity

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I love that exeggutors head isnt even on screen when he evolves.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Space T Rex posted:

I love that exeggutors head isnt even on screen when he evolves.

they went all-in with the joke and its really good

i hope the same thing happens when you're looking at it from behind during battles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I wonder if it means that they'll properly resize Wailord...