Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Got hepatitis-C? No problem if you got the 85k USD to cover the pills. Oh you're poor, well it sucks to be you when your liver decides to stop working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

Every single Canadian thinks this but won't say it

CI's trolling but no joke there's a huge swath of the population that casually gives no fucks for anyone they don't immediately associate with and these people will vote to gently caress the rest of us over no matter what they say publicly, this more than anything is the true canadian identity

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Just the psychotic ones without a sense of empathy or a conscious.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Really

Have you even been to Vancouver

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Maybe we should move towards a system like healthcare for pets. Each visit starts at $100 for the consultation, and it only gets better from there. It's ok though, you can find a clinic open 24x7 that will see you immediately for cases of the sniffles with a $200 prescription for renamed drugs that are in lower dosages than that for humans, which we can buy OTC for pennies.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

I don't.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

In fact I'm glad that a dumb rich rear end in a top hat has to wait in line like everyone else.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yeah but I don't own real estate what are you even taking about

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Yinlock posted:

In fact I'm glad that a dumb rich rear end in a top hat has to wait in line like everyone else.

Working as intended.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Yinlock posted:

Get the McLaren it's a great car, too bad you have to drive on the same roads in rush hour as the rest of us :owned:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yinlock posted:

I don't.

Yinlock posted:

Perfect.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
You can hate people and still value a social safety net.

In fact destitution lessons the hatred. If you've been given relatively the same security as everyone else and still end up and rear end in a top hat then you deserve scorn.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The dark truth about CI is that he cares about his fellow canadians as much as the rest of us. Why else would he obsess over this thread? A truly spiteful FYGM would call us all losers and close the browser, never to return.

I'm onto you CI, ya big softie.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

namaste faggots posted:

I seriously don't give a gently caress about any of you how is this not obvious

I don't care!
I don't care!
"continues to argue and post post post*

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

The dark truth about CI is that he cares about his fellow canadians as much as the rest of us. Why else would he obsess over this thread? A truly spiteful FYGM would call us all losers and close the browser, never to return.

I'm onto you CI, ya big softie.

This thread cures empathy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CI is a lovable Vancouverite yuppie irl, he's drinking a pumpkin spice latte whilst posting here

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
While taking a landmark seminar

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

CLAM DOWN posted:

CI is a lovable Vancouverite yuppie irl, he's drinking a pumpkin spice latte whilst posting here

I think he drinks hot water

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The main take away here is that CI's ulcers are helping pay for some American doctor's boat.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

BattleMaster posted:

Can't remember if I posted about this jackass but now it's even more relevant

Small-town mayor with pancreatic cancer feels ‘betrayed’ by health system

tl;dr he can't get OHIP coverage for an experimental treatment available in the US so he goes online to beg for money and says some boneheaded stuff like

even though if he was in the US things would be identical and he'd still have to beg for money to pay for it

Pancreatic cancer is a death sentence; five year survival is 6%. Criticizing this dude for grasping at straws is a low blow.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ikantski posted:

This thread cures empathy.

CANPOL CURES EMPATHY

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

apatheticman posted:

You can hate people and still value a social safety net.

In fact destitution lessons the hatred. If you've been given relatively the same security as everyone else and still end up and rear end in a top hat then you deserve scorn.

Yes, you can quite reasonably realize that even if you dislike ("hate" is such a strong term, why water it down?) most people, it's a better benefit for yourself if the system you participate in serves everyone equally... as long as that service is high quality in the first place, anyway. (You only have to look at the Chinese and Russian communist history for an example of equal treatment not being in and of itself sufficient.)

Sure, you might be rich now, and benefit better from a different system, but you might not always be rich, and in that case you'll appreciate having an equitable system.

The only thing that's wrong with FYGM is that people don't actually think it through. Long-term it's best for you to have an educated population, public healthcare, et cetera.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You're assuming that the driving force of FYGM thinking is a desire to maximum material comforts. That's not really accurate though, because FYGM is typically motivated by spite and resentment, which are much more complicated and messy human emotions. Don't under estimate the vicarious pleasure people can derive from voting to hurt other people.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Imagine voting participation if people didn't vote out of spite.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jm20 posted:

Get the McLaren it's a great car, too bad you have to drive on the same roads in rush hour as the rest of us :owned:

Jokes on you, just gonna speed in the HOV lane and treat my tickets as the cost of being better than everyone else.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ikantski I got you a present.

quote:

Last October, a tree fell on a power line leading to Kip Van Kempen’s cottage on Mazinaw Lake, north of Kingston, Ont. Hydro One crews came and cut the tree and disconnected the line but they were unable to repair the power line because of red tape and logistical issues. It took eight months for Hydro One to restore the electricity to the Ajax resident’s all-season cottage. When Van Kempen later received his electricity bill, he said he was stunned.

“At that point the smoke was coming out my ears,” he told CTV Toronto. “If you’re not providing it (electricity) to the building, because you snipped the wires to the building, then you’re not delivering it. How can you charge a delivery charge?”

Hydro One charged Van Kempen hundreds of dollars in delivery fees for the months his cottage was without electricity. The bill even shows his electricity usage per day during those months as zero. The delays in restoring power to the cottage were due in part to the lack of accessibility. Van Kempen’s cottage is only accessible by ATV or boat. He said he tried repeatedly, for months, to make repairs and secure the inspections needed to reconnect the power.

According to Van Kempen, Hydro One is arguing that they provided the electricity and if the customer didn't use it, that’s the customer's problem. Van kempen says the delivery charge is “deceptive and unfair.”

“The arrogance was unbelievable,” he said.

Now, he is suing the utility company for $7,500. He describes his small claims court fight against Hydro One as a David and Goliath type battle.

“Finally, I said, ‘I’m not going to argue with you guys anymore, tell it to the judge,” Van Kempen said.

Hydro One would not discuss Van Kempen’s case because it is currently before the courts. However, in a statement issued to CTV Toronto, Hydro One said that customers always receive a monthly flat-rate delivery charge if the utility company’s equipment, including the smart meter, is still on the customer’s property. Van Kempen should have cancelled his service and returned Hydro One’s equipment if he wanted to avoid paying the automatic delivery charges.

“The fixed charge is not payable if the customer requests electricity service to be cancelled,” the statement said.

With a report from CTV Toronto’s Paul Bliss

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ont-man-suing-over-electricity-charges-for-cottage-without-power-1.3061684

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
HOV in ON is demerits, otherwise that checks out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How long has northern Ontario been planning to separate and become its own province? How am I just hearing about this now? What the hell would they call it?

And more importantly, will Patrick Brown see his calling if this happens? Its basically a guaranteed for life job as a Conservative leader. Ikantski can have all his wildest dreams come true as well!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mazinaw is really one of southern Ontario's nicest lakes, I went camping there a few weeks ago. The provincial park bit is crowded but the beaches are really nice, fishing was decent and the lake is not crowded at all once you get away from the park. The rock and pictographs are pretty impressive too (by Ontario standards). The bottom actually goes down over 400 feet, a perfect location to send all the politicians who contributed to the privatization of Hydro One.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Baitcaster, eh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

Playing devil's advocate, if the rich want to not possibly die of an MRSA infection while recovering from surgery they can loving pony up some more tax dollars to make sure our health care system is fully funded.

OK, how should I do that?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
there's a line on your tax return that allows you to voluntarily remit your refund to the government. get cracking

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

OK, how should I do that?

If you pay your taxes without looking for every single loophole to exploit, nothing short of donating time or money.

A smart country would set up a better tax bracket system and give their revenue agency some teeth to chase tax dodgers, but this is Canada.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Furnaceface posted:

How long has northern Ontario been planning to separate and become its own province? How am I just hearing about this now? What the hell would they call it?

And more importantly, will Patrick Brown see his calling if this happens? Its basically a guaranteed for life job as a Conservative leader. Ikantski can have all his wildest dreams come true as well!

People were talking about it when I was growing up there over 20 years ago.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

linoleum floors posted:

there's a line on your tax return that allows you to voluntarily remit your refund to the government. get cracking

The odds of that going to extra funding of the health care system are pretty small. Isn't it earmarked for debt reduction?

Besides, I try to not have a refund. Certainly not enough to keep anyone alive at the margins.

Furnaceface posted:

If you pay your taxes without looking for every single loophole to exploit, nothing short of donating time or money.

I take the same deductions I took when I made a lot less, tax avoidance isn't really a goal.

What's the most effective place to donate time or money? Who is running on a platform of raising taxes to fund healthcare, or lobbying meaningfully for it?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Playing devil's advocate, the primary cause for surgical wait times seems to be a lack of facilities; there's either not enough OR time for the surgeons you have, or there's no beds to put the patient when you're done cutting.

You could, then, theoretically have a private system which supplemented rather than destroyed the public system, by building more facilities and allowing you to use your resources to the fullest potential.

That being said, my understanding is that in practice, the public system worsened in Australia when private health care was introduced.

Indeed, plus the people behind the case seem really keen on profiting off of any loosening of the regulations.

Actually, maybe they're a little too keen...
https://www.pressprogress.ca/13_things_you_need_to_know_about_the_people_trying_to_end_canadian_health_care_as_we_know_it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

namaste faggots posted:

My Vancouver gp only works 3 days a week lol

Well yea, it's Vancouver. He is probably a real estate agent as his "real" job and probably only works part time as a gp out of a vague obligation that he should because of all the time and money spent on med school.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Furnaceface posted:

How long has western Virginia been planning to separate and become its own province? How am I just hearing about this now? What the hell would they call it?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Terra Incognita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
East Manitoba