Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ErIog posted:

The way Donald Trump groups people into categories is very creepy. He kept saying, "the vets," over and over again tonight.

"The blacks," "the Mexicans," etc etc. It's because he's incredibly out-of-touch and hasn't met any of them, so they're abstract concepts to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/773715636950298625

Remember how pissy Powell was about "they're trying to pin this on me"

Powell has a history of being a lying sack of poo poo, so it's not unexpected.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Main headline on CNN is a giant "Trump defends tweet on military sex assault" with a giant rear end photo.

I'm telling you, Trump hosed up tonight. With a friendly moderator. He is going to get evicerated by Hillary in the debates.

Don't want this as the last post on the page.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Main headline on CNN is a giant "Trump defends tweet on military sex assault" with a giant rear end photo.

I'm telling you, Trump hosed up tonight. With a friendly moderator. He is going to get evicerated by Hillary in the debates.

Yeah... Hillary didn't do as well as I would have liked, no doubt, but Trump royally screwed the pooch on that one. Like Hillary's emails are a total known quantity at this point. Bringing up an old tweet? While Lauer loving put basketballs on a tee the entire time, that question was good.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

We'll see if it becomes a news cycle or not. His loving Nuremberg immigration speech was covered for like 16 hours

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:agreed: I wasn't looking forward to the debates that much before tonight. Now, hoooooly God.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Anyone have a gif of the GOP veteran's look of exasperation at Trump attempting to correct her on the number of veteran suicides?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/poniewozik/status/773721763716993024

I hope Lauer gets laughed off tv. There's some serious backlash brewing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/773721709090316288

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

William F Cuckley posted:

Powell has a history of being a lying sack of poo poo, so it's not unexpected.

He also has a history of being more responsible for Iraq fuckery than Clinton but we are morons so

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Wait did Lauer really say that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

This is pretty much a perfect summation of what's wrong with contemporary political science. It's the height of hubris to think that one can look at politics in any way, shape, or form with objectivity, much less distill it into data.

e: LOL, the HuffPo headline is currently "Lauer Cowers!"

Lol so you don't believe in polling? You don't believe political messaging studies are valid? Do you think humans are too complex to science? Or did you just read the zeizik wiki and are trying to make some point about lack of ideology?

Because I'm an non-positivist and pro-qualitative science persona and all, but your post veers close to an anti-science post.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ImpAtom posted:

Wait did Lauer really say that?

Yes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

That one piece about 'poo poo if this is how journalists run it Trump could win' will hopefully knock some of the dumb bastards out of their haze. I think a lot of them are doing what they're doing because they don't even consider the possibility of a Trump victory and don't realize they're even doing harm.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mother Base has an trip intel report for us.

Venom Snake posted:

papa snake would have been v upset if I brought up Edward B Balls. but iv got a trip report:

-they asked us "please dont laugh, please do clap" when trump came on
-people laughed anyway
-eric trump was there and he is every bit as horrifying in person
-ROONSE PUBIS was stumbling trying to get to his seat, he is trumps goddamn BABYSITTER
-people gasped when trump said he war going to purge people
- trump loving touched invankas hips before she went to go sit and watch i loving swear on ed balls it happened

i was literally inside thisfuckingelection.jpg and i was feeling the pull of the abyss.

hillary was aggressive as hell and it owned owned owned. matt was so loving pissed afterwards lol

Venom Snake posted:

he kept trying to interrupt her and she kept telling him to get bent. afterwards he complained loudly about not getting enough questions in and how clinton was being to angry and aggressive and trying to walk all over him.

also more stuff because holy gently caress this night:

-they had to double check trump general was actually a real general because he routinely makes up fake people to endorse him and networks waste time trying to call fake people
-they screened the hell outa the questions because 98% of what they got was "why the gently caress is trump so goddamn racist??? he KNOWS black and latino's are in the military RIGHT???"
-trump camp almost walked out, this is a thing that happened i cant believe it what is happening is this goddamn election???
-pubis walked trump in and walked trump out
-why in the name of god did the entire trump family need to come in? seriously they reserved an entire section of seats that could go to vets to use for 5 minutes. they turned actually loving DISABLED vets away because trump family all had to watch daddy speak to MTV man

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 8, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder how this will get edited in the coming days lol

quote:

On body language, the two diverged, too. Mrs. Clinton was far more likely to look audience members in the eye, nod along as they expressed concern or curiosity, and give relatively direct if sometimes uncomfortable answers. Mr. Trump came off as more relaxed but also far lighter on details, and was seldom pressed by Mr. Lauer or the veterans.

One of the most surprising moments of the night came when Mr. Trump chose to answer a question about the confidential national security briefings that he has recently begun to receive — a topic that presidents and presidential candidates rarely discuss with any openness.

Mr. Trump, asked if he learned anything alarming, said, “There was one thing that shocked me” and suggested that it involved a decision by President Obama and Mrs. Clinton that amounted to “a total disaster.”

He then went further, asserting that Mr. Obama “did not follow what our experts said to do,” and even claimed that the government officials who provided the briefing were “not happy” with Mr. Obama. Explaining the basis of that assessment, Mr. Trump said, “I was pretty good with the body language.”

It was a classic Trump moment — a dark insinuation without evidence — and his campaign did not immediately provide details.

A classic Trump moment.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/773715636950298625

Remember how pissy Powell was about "they're trying to pin this on me"

Hagiography aside lets not forget that Powell's first time on the national stage was saying there was no evidence of War Crimes at Mai Lai.

Hes done a lot of great stuff, but he is very much a political animal and a Republican operative.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/773724643693883392

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nice.

I am very pleased with how tonight went. Not only was Trump awful at everything but he had a few terrible soundbytes. The Take Their Oil, the Putin tongue bath, the Rape Tweet, the Rubbish Generals, and the outright lie about not supporting the Iraq War.

Tonight is a good night.

Hillary ran ads of terrible Trump soundbytes basically unopposed during the Olympics and Trump cut her lead in half. Why should I be confident at all that people are going to respond positively to a different set of them? Trump has been completely normalized by the media and no one gives a poo poo about anything that he says anymore, and Hillary flooding the airwaves with it might just make annoyed people vote against her out of spite.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol so you don't believe in polling?

I do, I'm talking more about endless data regressions to see if the President of Iran is the fifteenth or sixteenth most-powerful person in the Iranian government.

This was literally something I had to do in my Ph.D program.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Hillary ran ads of terrible Trump soundbytes basically unopposed during the Olympics and Trump cut her lead in half. Why should I be confident at all that people are going to respond positively to a different set of them? Trump has been completely normalized by the media and no one gives a poo poo about anything that he says anymore, and Hillary flooding the airwaves with it might just make annoyed people vote against her out of spite.
Might as well not have an election at all, really.

e: Also man if they nearly walked out of THIS, does that mean Trump might storm off mid debate in another one? I mean I'm sure the NYT will suck his dick for being so brave as to do so.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 8, 2016

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol so you don't believe in polling? You don't believe political messaging studies are valid? Do you think humans are too complex to science? Or did you just read the zeizik wiki and are trying to make some point about lack of ideology?

Because I'm an non-positivist and pro-qualitative science persona and all, but your post veers close to an anti-science post.

There's really nothing scientific that takes place in polling. They can, at best, only reveal this pre-conceived notion that people vote with called ideology.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Geostomp posted:

Yup. There was never any real danger of a Trump presidency, but that wasn't ever the point.

Right.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Hillary ran ads of terrible Trump soundbytes basically unopposed during the Olympics and Trump cut her lead in half.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I think that's coming to an end for two reasons: 1. Hillary has opened up to the press. 2. Matt Lauer is getting eaten alive right now for softballing Trump the way he did.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

iospace posted:

I think that's coming to an end for two reasons: 1. Hillary has opened up to the press. 2. Matt Lauer is getting eaten alive right now for softballing Trump the way he did.

I wonder how much of the backlash is related to them not wanting to get shut out again because this makes them all look really loving bad? It's not like they actually give a drat. If that were the case pretty much everything about everybody's coverage of everything would've been wildly different since last July

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/773721048923508737

the commentariat is not happy

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

They might also be realizing that Trump is a slightly less X-rated version of Todd from Achewood.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

There's really nothing scientific that takes place in polling. They can, at best, only reveal this pre-conceived notion that people vote with called ideology.

There's a lot of well verified scientific claims that can be backed by polling. They just are a lot less exciting than even Nate wants. Things like basic demographic are well established voting indicators, but not exciting ones.

Majorian posted:

I do, I'm talking more about endless data regressions to see if the President of Iran is the fifteenth or sixteenth most-powerful person in the Iranian government.

This was literally something I had to do in my Ph.D program.

That does sound like the usual academic sophistry, condolences. Retraction watch is amazing to read and consider the sub-implications when some lab pulls 5 papers because they never checked their cell lines or whatever. The number of hours of labwork wasted and misplaced efforts.

Or the numbers on pediatric medical studies that never are completed or published is disturbing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Well, lets see if it is in the new version

quote:

Mr. Trump also reiterated his praise for Vladimir V. Putin, Russia’s president, and argued that there was no evidence Russia had a hand in hacking the Democratic National Committee.

“If he says great things about me, I’m going to say great things about him,” Mr. Trump, the Republican nominee, said of Mr. Putin.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

That does sound like the usual academic sophistry, condolences. Retraction watch is amazing to read and consider the sub-implications when some lab pulls 5 papers because they never checked their cell lines or whatever. The number of hours of labwork wasted and misplaced efforts.

Or the numbers on pediatric medical studies that never are completed or published is disturbing.

I'll do that; I could always use a reminder of why I stopped and got a job after a year.:cheers:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

iospace posted:

The media is more likely to react to this by retaliating against Hillary for daring to go after one of their own. Look at all of the "both sides did equally well/badly" equivocating that went on afterwards.

Bothsidesism is pathological and there's no way they're gonna give it up just because Ryan Lochte Interview Guy got torn up.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

I think the heroes hounding her on Twitter should know she's a legacy brat. Good context, she's probably been coasting on her father's rep her whole career. I imagine that's not uncommon in journalism, and most of the legacy brats are pale shadows of their parents.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, lets see if it is in the new version

There's even less mention of Putin in the new version!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but still, her husband's record in the 90's doesn't instill confidence. Obviously I understand she's not her husband, but still. I'll be reassured when I see it happen.

Literally stop this. No more "but still" weaselly sexist-but-don't-call-me-that bullshit. Mrs. William Jefferson Clinton isn't running for president, Hillary Rodham is. She is her own person and always has been, because women are people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Moatman posted:

There's even less mention of Putin in the new version!
Does Putin have a cut on the NYT or what? Jesus Christ, how much of this dumb country does Putin own now?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The media is more likely to react to this by retaliating against Hillary for daring to go after one of their own.

ahahah bullshit. I don't know much about journalism but from what I do know its that journalists love tearing eachother down more than anyone else. No one outside of NBC is going to come to Lauer's defense and they certainly won't be inspired by him. Lol like there's any comradory there anymore, they will tear eachother apart just for the privilege of being pissed on by someone important.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The BBC website is "Trump says Putin better than Obama" in big letters across the top anyway.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

ahahah bullshit. I don't know much about journalism but from what I do know its that journalists love tearing eachother down more than anyone else. No one outside of NBC is going to come to Lauer's defense and they certainly won't be inspired by him.

Even most NBC people are going "yikes"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The media is more likely to react to this by retaliating against Hillary for daring to go after one of their own. Look at all of the "both sides did equally well/badly" equivocating that went on afterwards.

Bothsidesism is pathological and there's no way they're gonna give it up just because Ryan Lochte Interview Guy got torn up.

Reading Journo Twitter, it's quite clear that they knew Lauer blew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

There's a lot of well verified scientific claims that can be backed by polling. They just are a lot less exciting than even Nate wants. Things like basic demographic are well established voting indicators, but not exciting ones.

That's an abuse of the word. It's too easy to obfuscate the results for election polling, and rarely do they fall under the same rigor that conference papers or journals do. There was a huge scandal awhile back when some kid from UCLA got caught fixing data.

• Locked thread