Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

do all iphones have the chip they need to talk to the headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

oh cool, more poo poo for me to throw in my bag when i travel

seems pretty straightforward to me. it's just a thing you put them in when you take them out of your ears. seems better than carrying them loose anyway.
but i lol at the idea of some shmuck dropping an airpod on the train or something and having to comb under the seat for it and stuff. the wire is actually useful and succeeds at simplifying poo poo such as keeping your phone and the headset together

it's hard for me to believe that removing the headphone jack is what allowed them to fit the second camera or the stereo speakers but what do I know

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the render they showed implied that the haptic engine was what took up the space of the headphone jack

you know, so the home button feels better

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

maniacdevnull posted:

do all iphones have the chip they need to talk to the headphones?

still assuming it's not actually bluetooth, perhaps not. i could be wrong about it not being bluetooth

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fleshweasel posted:

seems pretty straightforward to me. it's just a thing you put them in when you take them out of your ears. seems better than carrying them loose anyway.
but i lol at the idea of some shmuck dropping an airpod on the train or something and having to comb under the seat for it and stuff. the wire is actually useful and succeeds at simplifying poo poo such as keeping your phone and the headset together

it's hard for me to believe that removing the headphone jack is what allowed them to fit the second camera or the stereo speakers but what do I know

its not complex, i agree, but its yet another thing i need to put electrons into all my poo poo. its not the thing i want to use, its a thing i need to carry around to use the thing i want to use. normal headphones dont have this issue by not requiring some kind of charging station like its the tesla of loving headphones

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

atomicthumbs posted:

still assuming it's not actually bluetooth, perhaps not. i could be wrong about it not being bluetooth

gently caress
ing
lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

$170 for headphones that come with a compatibility list and infrastructure. tim youve done it again!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

they can use Bluetooth so you can use them with your iPad and Mac. but note that the webpage states you need an iCloud account and the latest version of iOS / macOS. in order to use Bluetooth earbuds.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder what happens if one of them runs out of power before the other

what happens when your left one gets ganked by someone exiting the bus/train for laffs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Linguica posted:

they can use Bluetooth so you can use them with your iPad and Mac. but note that the webpage states you need an iCloud account and the latest version of iOS / macOS. in order to use Bluetooth earbuds.

my thinkpad x220 tablet runs the latest version of macos and will be more capable than the iphone because i can also plug wired headphones into it

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

graph posted:

what happens when your left one gets ganked by someone exiting the bus/train for laffs

this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AtIRu0034E&t=100s

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

croakies apple edition

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

also, they apparently don't use Bluetooth, but a special Apple bluetooth-like protocol using their W1 chip, in the manner of Logitech

Logitech wireless devices that aren't Bluetooth (i.e. with the universal receiver) use an off-the-shelf NRF24 chip

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

thanks i had forgotten about this stupid trash movie

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i've never seen that movie

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cremnob posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

At least one article I've seen says you can in fact pair airpods like normal Bluetooth headphones with whatever. so I don't really know anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

unngghhhhhhhhh yessssssss

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Apple made in-ear standalone bt earbuds for half the price at 2x the battery life of the bragi dash or similar models but somehow this is an epic failure because people itt are trump-like brokebrain idiots

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

wait the phone itself has stereo speakers. wtf. how many people are listening to poo poo on their phone without headphones. this is all really bad decisions.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Elder Postsman posted:

wait the phone itself has stereo speakers. wtf. how many people are listening to poo poo on their phone without headphones. this is all really bad decisions.

stereo speakers that are, what, an inch apart? perfect for stereo audio

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stereo speakers on a phone are useless garbage marketing points and nothing more.

the first android phone with stereo speakers was the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, released in 2011.

five years later, apple copies android's useless marketing points.

checks out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Logitech wireless devices that aren't Bluetooth (i.e. with the universal receiver) use an off-the-shelf NRF24 chip

the h760s I got worked as (uncomfortable) wireless headphones with a normal bluetooth thing but without the dongle the microphone didn't work.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

LmaoTheKid posted:

the iPads Pro does.

no it does not

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

My favorite part was when they had their little wrapup infomercial for the iphone 7 that they added little concenctric cartoon sound-broadcasting circles over footage of the phone to illustrate the stereo speakers

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
courage

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

bump_fn posted:

stereo speakers that are, what, an inch apart? perfect for stereo audio

it's really dumb.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

graph posted:

law and law enforcement, same thing preventing thieves from "ganking" your phone, hat, shoes, pants and anything else not physically grafted to you body you dumb gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

the police don't give a gently caress about your earbuds

i mean the overall structure of law and order in our society, not to mention morality

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PleasureKevin posted:

law and law enforcement, same thing preventing thieves from "ganking" your phone, hat, shoes, pants and anything else not physically grafted to you body you dumb gently caress

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fffffffffffffffffffff.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if you think a tiny 1.5mm thick cable is the only thing holding us back from a "the Purge" style of nightmare anarchy headphone theft you are dumb as heck

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

PleasureKevin posted:

if you think a tiny 1.5mm thick cable is the only thing holding us back from a "the Purge" style of nightmare anarchy headphone theft you are dumb as heck

courage

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

* man buying cordless phone*

what's to stop a hooligan from hopping in my window, stealing my cordless phone and making a bunch of collect calls, huh?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm not being brought any pleasure, kevin

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this thread, unlike apple, continues to deliver

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

triple sulk posted:

i'm not being brought any pleasure, kevin

nobody ever is.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

omg i missed it

100k hours. all hail zdr

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol buzzfeed updated their blowjob article to address apple's weird reticence to confirm that airpods work as normal bluetooth headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

11 years

• Locked thread