Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Most of Winston is learning how he counter plays all of the other characters, and then different groups of characters. It takes time to learn that and the positioning, but he is probably one of the best punishment tanks for going after people in poor positions or if they use poor cooldown management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

I can't seem to get winston. Any other tank cool I got it down but every time I play Winston I feel like a joke

Unlike any other tank Winston really sucks at actually killing heroes who are full health with cooldowns up. You have to watch the fight's flow and jump in to help and redirect it when necessary, instead of trying to forcibly twist the flow (a la Reinhardt/Roadhog)

Thanks to the jump Winston can be instantly anywhere his team needs him to be, it's like +0.75 of a hero to anywhere

Someone link the Winston guide for lil pup here

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

communication is always a key component of actually winning and is why going up against 6 stacks is a lot harder than random groups at any level, including the bottom

like they'll be bad at hitting you but you won't be any better. the difference is coordination. communication wins you games at all levels. if you don't wanna talk, don't; it's just a game. but you're wrong if you think it isn't a big help to communicate and work together

Skill/experience trumps communication, because skill includes the ability to know what to do without the need to communicate. It's the difference between thinking Reaper has his ult and playing with that in mind and HEY GUYS REAPER IS RIGHT UP THERE WATCH OUT. Is the latter better? Yes but not by as much as you might think. People (goons) insisted on voice for Vermintide and that game gave tons of audio clues, people overvalued how much new information communication gave.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 8, 2016

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
Why are some people so against talking to others? Arguing that any type of communication, voice or otherwise, between teammates doesn't lead to better performance is pretty mind-boggling.

Which scenario is better?

Scenario A:
Guy playing Rein: My ult is up, we need to push.
Guy playing Zarya: Oh, my gravity well is up. I'll use it to set them up for you.
Guy playing Rein: Okay.

Zarya launches black hole sucking up 4 of the enemy and Rein immediately stuns them all allowing their team to eliminate 2/3 of the enemy team pretty easily.

Scenario B:
Rein uses hammer down on his own and may or may not stun some dudes. Then a few seconds later Zarya uses gravity well and people are inconvenienced for a couple seconds.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Noonsa posted:

Why are some people so against talking to others? Arguing that any type of communication, voice or otherwise, between teammates doesn't lead to better performance is pretty mind-boggling.

Which scenario is better?

Scenario A:
Guy playing Rein: My ult is up, we need to push.
Guy playing Zarya: Oh, my gravity well is up. I'll use it to set them up for you.
Guy playing Rein: Okay.

Zarya launches black hole sucking up 4 of the enemy and Rein immediately stuns them all allowing their team to eliminate 2/3 of the enemy team pretty easily.

Scenario B:
Rein uses hammer down on his own and may or may not stun some dudes. Then a few seconds later Zarya uses gravity well and people are inconvenienced for a couple seconds.

I'm not against it; I just think it's overrated.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 8, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
But if you took your department of psyops psychic gamer skill pills, you would perfectly coordinate with each other with perfect skill, thus not requiring the primitive 'communication' methods that you are touting.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Normally yes communication is key.

BUT

Not always. Watch this video and learn. We get shifted on first round and then the magic happens.

https://youtu.be/cVC_gMLEndA

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if you communicating or not communicating isn't making a clear and visible and immediate difference in your win rate, you are executing basic social skills poorly.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Considering he's the guy who got muted for being abusive to teammates and complained about in thread it's a given.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Zikan posted:

Considering he's the guy who got muted for being abusive to teammates and complained about in thread it's a given.

Haha I was wondering if he was the same guy. He should take his own advice and shut the gently caress up here as well.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kashuno posted:

I can't seem to get winston. Any other tank cool I got it down but every time I play Winston I feel like a joke

u need 2 believe

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gallant calls out when flankers are coming and compliments the team when they win a skirmish or hit a checkpoint. Goofus rages from the start at perfectly acceptable hero picks, cracks fellatio jokes at strangers, and sighs into the microphone whenever he dies.

Communication is only overrated if you communicate like Goofus. A happy team is an effective team, friends.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zikan posted:

No I was muted for hitting a threshold of reports. Of course I'm lying and Blizzard has great support, oh and so are those other folks who have had the same experience are also lying.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I use the mic to let my team know I have gold damage and elims as zenyatta and that they should try to take them away from me if possible

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zikan posted:

I've played a bunch with Duck and Cover and I can safely say he was never abusive, just extremely chatty and inane

A lot of uptight players would find him annoying, though, and between that and his Torbjörn play I can see why he gets reported

I totally understand why people aren't inclined to believe him though, and if I hadn't played with him enough to see how he behaves, I wouldn't believe him either

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I imagine you don't get a very high opinion of voice chat if you're constantly listening to people complain about your off-meta picks.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Duck and Cover can be abrasive in the thread but he's at least not bullshitting about muting being tied to report volume rather than actual behavior.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Kashuno posted:

read this and be enlightened: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777487&userid=115223&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post463029330

it will allow you to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKzKR4Q_b1o

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

resistentialism posted:

I imagine you don't get a very high opinion of voice chat if you're constantly listening to people complain about your off-meta picks.

This is definitively part of it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ciaphas posted:

Don't worry I'd have to figure out how to make Shadowplay stop repeatedly making GBS threads itself to record anything and I'm at work for another hour anyway :v:

I would check to see whether the geforce experience thing is running properly, sometimes it fucks up. Aside from that, maybe it's your hard drive. How much RAM do you have? Maybe it's eating all that poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FAUXTON posted:

I would check to see whether the geforce experience thing is running properly, sometimes it fucks up. Aside from that, maybe it's your hard drive. How much RAM do you have? Maybe it's eating all that poo poo.

Yeah it's more geforce experience being a pile of raging loving garbage than shadowplay itself, but since the latter relies on the former, welp :v:

OBS works great though (thanks Willie Tomg!) so I'll just stick to that instead. I never really used the "save the last 5 minutes" stuff anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the one hand I really wish people would quit sticking with Symmetra once point A is lost...I'm sorry you didn't get to place your teleporter but I don't think the one second it's going to save getting back from the defense spawn is really going to help here as opposed to just about any other character...but on the other hand I'm still glad that sometimes people on the enemy team decide to go Widowmaker on KotH and contribute nothing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
omg reinhardt i love you

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
All of bastions voice macros are just beep beep boop variations.

Who gets potg with Ana or Symmetra enough for their other dynamic poses to be relevant?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Don't worry I'd have to figure out how to make Shadowplay stop repeatedly making GBS threads itself to record anything and I'm at work for another hour anyway :v:

I am using XBox in Windows 10, Win-Alt-R to record,
if it says there was nothing to record you have to clear temp files then try again

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
whens a good time to go mercy over lucio?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
After posting that video last night I teamed up with a friend who finished Season 1 at 64 or somewhere in the 60's anyway.
and he suggested Junkrat and pharah for a couple games,

His comments were that i was doing ok, (even though we lost 8 out of 10 matches)

I still think i suck but he pointed out, Even though we lost I was getting gold for eliminations on 4 and he was playing Lucio and getting silver for Damage. so It wasnt really me perse, Yes i needed to improve but the rest of the team sucked worse.

One game we lost after fighting over the Well in illios for such a long time with both teams at 99%, same with Nepal and the Village map, (the one with genji's house above the point)

But thanks for the input at least i know i need a lot more practice.

PS Junkrat is kinda fun

PPS i also noticed in most cases when changing maps I was then being teamed up with the players who previous game had been thrashing me a lot (ie the ones who were killing me all the time) suggesting that the matching system was moving me up away from the dross and towards the sort of ok players.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 8, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tokubetsu posted:

whens a good time to go mercy over lucio?

When there's an obvious carry on your team and nobody else is doing much of any use.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I think Mercy's most useful if you have to play solo healer. She can keep two tanks going just barely, as long as one isn't D.Va.

I find she's most fun when there's only 1 tank to worry about keeping alive, and 4 disposable chuckleheads playing damage. I top the tank off and boost the closest chucklehead, but don't worry too much about them dying. If two go down at once, they get a res if it's available. That's usually hectic enough to make Mercy not boring. Everything falls apart when you die though.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 8, 2016

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Got this yesterday and now I'm tired at work. It's a lot more chill and fun than most online shooters I've played for a long time, and feels a lot like a TF2 successor, only without hats and fancy helpful items that I don't have.

Lucio is fun, between shields and his heal aura you can do a lot to keep a team alive, even if you're not actively 'being the healer'. I enjoyed Symmetra a fair bit too, though her charge orb is useless as hell, except against a rooted Bastion. I got a surprising amount of turret kills with her in the round or two I played (including a PotG). Mercy was cool, it was nice having a lot of guys just jump on anyone that comes near you because they love their heals, and flying toward a teammate to escape danger is great.

I expected it to be like TF2 in terms of how frustrated I was when I'd constantly die at chokepoints, but I feel like apart from Anubis B there weren't any that I felt were 'unfair', and none of the characters have made me yell "WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT" yet either, it seems nicely balanced.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I usually play Mercy on payload maps cus her ult can theoretically keep the team moving, or Hanamura where I can fly all over the place. I'm no top tier player so I'm not sure that's the official Pro version but it works for me.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I feel like Winston is probably the tank that is easiest to shut down in that a fair few of the cast can do it no worries (Reaper, Roadhog, Bastion) but if you're clever you can really 1vX a fair few 200hp heroes in a way that no other tank can. It's all about the barrier, and then, all about when to pop your ult. Commoner's effort post on Winston should be required reading if you want to bust someone down into their component pieces scientist-style.

The only thing I would add is to always finish people by punching them. That way you get a high melee kill score, and also if you get POTG you will look like a badass. Oh and figure out how your barrier interacts with the rest of the cast. Obviously blocking sleep darts and poo poo is baller as hell but what is better than that is placing your barrier so the Pharah or Jrat blow their first shot and do damage to themselves in the process. Imagine a Pharah who is one shot down, and also on 120 health. Now imagine yourself electrocuting that Pharah to death. Imagine her boosting into the sky to escape you, and you leaping after her, hitting her in the brain with your fist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm not against it; I just think it's overrated.

it's not. just because people don't use it doesn't mean it's not much better to communicate; it is. I don't get how this is even up for debate, it really does help your team a ton and a less skilled team that communicates will generally beat a bunch of individually better players that lone wolf it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Communication isn't a substitute for execution is all I'm saying.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

TheresaJayne posted:

After posting that video last night I teamed up with a friend who finished Season 1 at 64 or somewhere in the 60's anyway.

His comments were that i was doing ok, (even though we lost 8 out of 10 matches)

I still think i suck but he pointed out, Even though we lost I was getting gold for eliminations on 4 and he was playing Lucio and getting silver for Damage. so It wasnt really me perse, Yes i needed to improve but the rest of the team sucked worse.

One game we lost after fighting over the Well in illios for such a long time with both teams at 99%, same with Nepal and the Village map, (the one with genji's house above the point)

PS Junkrat is kinda fun

PPS i also noticed in most cases when changing maps I was then being teamed up with the players who previous game had been thrashing me a lot (ie the ones who were killing me all the time) suggesting that the matching system was moving me up away from the dross and towards the sort of ok players.

Jesus after all the advice and callouts of your bad playing you ignore it all and insist that it's still your bad team's fault.

Congrats on your meaningless gold medals. Don't hear you bragging about your objective time. I think we know why that is.

Maybe bacontotem is looking for some more support.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
gold medals mean poo poo if you aren't actually contributing to your team success

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

TheresaJayne posted:

This doesn't mean what you think it means. It means you are the dross.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Rufio posted:

This doesn't mean what you think it means. It means you are the dross.

Yeah, in quick-play when a full game carries over to the next map, it occasionally switches the best and worst player on each team to shake it up.

That's why I drop after any game that leads to my team stomping the enemy because I'm a dirty solo player and the switch always happens to the solo player.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I play Mercy on attack, and first point defense. I play Lucio on payload, 2nd point defense, and koth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

PS Junkrat is kinda fun

Your friend is lying to you to make you feel better. He was doing more damage as Lucio than you were as Pharah or Junkrat (both characters that can rack up a lot of elims without really contributing anything), so while it's entirely possible that the rest of your team was bad, you're in no position to be criticizing anyone else's performance! You don't just need practice, you need to work on your judgment and game awareness, because in the games you showed us you routinely made awful decisions and accomplished essentially nothing.