Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Caught up from ep4 to 10. This show feels really balanced compared to the first generation. Every episode feels like it has a bit of everything rather than there being arcs that feel like a slog; relationships develop naturally within this rather than character stubbornness being a roadblock that halts the show and impedes it until the conflict is resolved.

The show isn't pulling any punches with the yuri either. nice confession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
various jp popularity polls

I'm surprised You's popularity has lasted this far into the anime. I figured it'd die down as we got further from that pv.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

various jp popularity polls

I'm surprised You's popularity has lasted this far into the anime. I figured it'd die down as we got further from that pv.

She was really popular before that PV as well. I think the rankings have been pretty stable since the beginning. Which is hosed up, because it means my favourites are still at the bottom.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She was really popular before that PV as well. I think the rankings have been pretty stable since the beginning. Which is hosed up, because it means my favourites are still at the bottom.

It's weird they're so stable, mine have changed a lot since the anime began.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's weird they're so stable, mine have changed a lot since the anime began.

Yeah, but if people are just voting for their favourite rather than ranking all of them I can see most people as already having their favourite locked down from the first pvs and audio dramas. With the anime not really changing that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
True. Dia was probably my fav from the dramas, the first ep just solidified that.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
All caught up now. Didn't expect to start watching 5 shows this season but here we are

I love this entire cast (except maybe Ruby but she's good too) but if I had to pick a favorite, it'd have to be between Chika or Riko. Yohane and Mari can battle it out for third

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Negrostrike posted:

I am super duper behind the pole behind Dia. :unsmith:

Those comics looks nice. I'd love to see more translations if possible.

OK.

X

Now "Yousoroad" makes sense! I'll probably do more of this artist's short comics.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 8, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

You's a solid choice, especially after this last episode, but Dia and Mari got me on their side via their antics in the previous ones, and then of course Yohane is Yohane.

I'm surprised that Kanan is still so popular in Japan, I've seen a lot of people in English boards rank her last (myself included) because she hasn't really done anything. Sure, she's got that aura of being the grounded team mom from the PVs and audio dramas, but for people who haven't seen or heard them, she's been basically an empty void prior to two episodes ago.

Riko is pretty low on my list too unfortunately; while her rediscovering her love of music and antics with dogs are cute, there are just so many other characters that she kinda just gets lost a bit in the shuffle for who keeps my attention the longest. Doesn't help that her quotes in the SIF game are so self-deprecating. She even calls herself boring in some of the lines and apologizes for it, which kinda rubs me the wrong way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

You's a solid choice, especially after this last episode, but Dia and Mari got me on their side via their antics in the previous ones, and then of course Yohane is Yohane.

I'm surprised that Kanan is still so popular in Japan, I've seen a lot of people in English boards rank her last (myself included) because she hasn't really done anything. Sure, she's got that aura of being the grounded team mom from the PVs and audio dramas, but for people who haven't seen or heard them, she's been basically an empty void prior to two episodes ago.

Riko is pretty low on my list too unfortunately; while her rediscovering her love of music and antics with dogs are cute, there are just so many other characters that she kinda just gets lost a bit in the shuffle for who keeps my attention the longest. Doesn't help that her quotes in the SIF game are so self-deprecating. She even calls herself boring in some of the lines and apologizes for it, which kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Is Kanan popular? She's right down there with the rest of the 3rd years and Chika.

Also, I find it funny you mention You because I find it tough to get a grasp on her. Like she has a bunch of smaller characteristics to her but she kinda acts as a balance to the two stronger more opposing personalities in the 2nd years. I sort of feel the same about Maru. They're not bad or anything and I still quite like them but I feel like other characters make more of an impact.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

OK.

X

Now "Yousoroad" makes sense! I'll probably do more of this artist's short comics.

:neckbeard: :neckbeard: :neckbeard:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hanamaru is a lot more dynamic than I was expecting, even if half the time it's just her saying zura. She plays off of Yohane well so that helps.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is Kanan popular? She's right down there with the rest of the 3rd years and Chika.

Also, I find it funny you mention You because I find it tough to get a grasp on her. Like she has a bunch of smaller characteristics to her but she kinda acts as a balance to the two stronger more opposing personalities in the 2nd years. I sort of feel the same about Maru. They're not bad or anything and I still quite like them but I feel like other characters make more of an impact.

I like You because she's a relatively grounded character that has some nice quirks with the saluting thing but also is out to support the rest of the group and Chika specifically. I have her firmly in the middle of my list. Reminds me of Kotori and she was also a solid middle of the list character.

I guess I misread the character polls posted wrt Kanan. Honestly, with the amount of material she's been in, I was surprised she isn't dead last.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Allarion posted:

Hanamaru is a lot more dynamic than I was expecting, even if half the time it's just her saying zura. She plays off of Yohane well so that helps.

The 1st years in general have a way better dynamic than I expected. They're super fun together!

GhostStalker posted:

I like You because she's a relatively grounded character that has some nice quirks with the saluting thing but also is out to support the rest of the group and Chika specifically. I have her firmly in the middle of my list. Reminds me of Kotori and she was also a solid middle of the list character.

I guess I misread the character polls posted wrt Kanan. Honestly, with the amount of material she's been in, I was surprised she isn't dead last.

Well she was last in a couple. Also, her and Mari's moments in eps 8 and 9 were some of the strongest bits of the show so far I thought. So that combined with people who already liked her probably got her her few votes.

Edit: Though i'm not sure when all those polls occurred.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 8, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like you because she's buff

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i like you because she's buff

I bet Kanan is buffer.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Here's a comic for the 3rd years

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I bet Kanan is buffer.

You claimed in one of the character interviews that she's the better swimmer than Kanan.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Daxing Dan posted:

Here's a comic for the 3rd years

Dia being able to play Ruby is already canon anyways.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Allarion posted:

You claimed in one of the character interviews that she's the better swimmer than Kanan.

Possible, but the anime has definitively proven Kanan is the better runner. Perhaps You just has the advantage in swimming, but I will need proof of it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Dia's lines are from the show, so I went with the official translations of them to preserve the reference.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Possible, but the anime has definitively proven Kanan is the better runner. Perhaps You just has the advantage in swimming, but I will need proof of it.

The Sunshine anime isn't canon because I will never accept that You has only as much endurance as Ruby when You Watanabe lifts weights, jogs, and swims for hours on a daily basis and is a national-level high diver specializing in a technique that has literally killed people.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

The Sunshine anime isn't canon because I will never accept that You has only as much endurance as Ruby when You Watanabe lifts weights, jogs, and swims for hours on a daily basis and is a national-level high diver specializing in a technique that has literally killed people.

I bet Ruby tried really hard though. With her sister there she probably gave like 200%, or even more!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Minor detail but I really like how flashbacks have saturated colors compared to present-day scenes in Sunshine. It's something I don't see a lot in other shows and it helps make the show prettier to look at

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

x

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
starting from the beginning of the artist's Sunshine comics

X
X
http://gs.dengeki.com/news/72444/
Newmers? Numers? Knumers? I dunno. now I know. Cute promotion, though.
X
X

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 13, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's true, the only males I remember are Cotarou and Honoka's dad.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X
I'm so uncertain about that last bubble (the only part of it that even needed translation :sweatdrop:) that I only included it out of a desire for completeness.
X
X
is Shiitake a boy?
X

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm so uncertain about that last bubble (the only part of it that even needed translation :sweatdrop:) that I only included it out of a desire for completeness.

It's from the BGM that plays on that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapMDT-rYCM

EDIT: Oh, about that last bubble, yeah maybe the joke wasn't strong enough. Didn't get the translator's note right, sorry.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 9, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Negrostrike posted:

It's from the BGM that plays on that scene.

there's something to that BGM other than "oh! oh! oh! oh! oh!"?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Huh, I'd been reading the text on the Gamers sign as Numazu before, since that location's relevant iirc.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh duh, that makes sense, though it loses the pun when it's not in kana. I'll just have to make a note.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
2nd & 3rd years as Greek goddesses

[obligatory boob ribbon joke]

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The pancakes joke

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X
X
it seems he wasn't so hot on ChikaRiko at first
X
X
thought I'd messed up and grabbed the same file twice at first

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
oh no

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I gotta admit I was surprised the first time I saw Riko smiling when she saw Chika was living next door. That comic shows a more realistic outcome indeed.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Ruby with Dia:
"My sister never shares her snacks with me, and she never helps me with my homework"

Hanamaru with Dia:

This family is all sorts of messed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

Ruby with Dia:
"My sister never shares her snacks with me, and she never helps me with my homework"

Hanamaru with Dia:

This family is all sorts of messed up

The anime is clearly superior because anime Dia would love to share snacks with Ruby and help her at school. :colbert: