Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Athrawes (the guy on B&C building that won the auction) painted him up pretty quickly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It's insane this happened, but man - he did it justice.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

adamantium|wang posted:

Athrawes (the guy on B&C building that won the auction) painted him up pretty quickly:

Hot drat that is pretty sexy for a dirty space wizard

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How much did he end up shelling out for it?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
$US99 :stare:

e: plus $20 shipping :stare::stare::stare:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Thats not too bad, all things considered.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Cheaper than I thought it would be.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

adamantium|wang posted:

That's rad. Totally sweet mini.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm surprised the auction completed without GW legal apparating and gutting someone.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Quick question, is 3x 20 man tactical squads and 2x 10 man support squads a good basis? Will I need more ? This is for Word Bearers and I'd like to be able to play 3k point games with my friends.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

ijyt posted:

Quick question, is 3x 20 man tactical squads and 2x 10 man support squads a good basis? Will I need more ? This is for Word Bearers and I'd like to be able to play 3k point games with my friends.

Tac squads are garbage.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Tac squads are garbage.

Care to say why? Just saying something sucks without saying why isn't really helpful at all, and I figure 2x blocks of 20 dudes with apothecaries will be hard to shift.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Tac squads are garbage.

Aren't they the main scoring unit?

Would it help if I replace "Word Bearers" with "Loyalist Pansies"

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

SRM posted:

Care to say why? Just saying something sucks without saying why isn't really helpful at all, and I figure 2x blocks of 20 dudes with apothecaries will be hard to shift.

Agree wholeheartedly. Tactical Squads are by and large a tax unit that are very limited in what they can do. Aside from the sergeant you basically have the choice of either bolters for every body or switching that out for another CCQ weapons. They're usually run as blob that sits in the backfield that holds objectives , usually a good idea to stick them with apothecary with an augury scanner for FnP and Interceptor. Alternatively, you can run them as 10man squads in Rhinos so that you have some mobile objective grabbers. Most legions run them in big squads because morale is far more important in 30k due to the lack ATSKNF. As a Word Bearer player you can get away with running 10 man squads since they have better morale than a lot of other Legions, thought at that point it's better to run Veterans using Pride of the Legion, as they'll have way more tactical flexibility. I also feel people underestimate the power of Fury of the Legion. That's my 2 cents anyway.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So 3 ten man squads should do me? I'm just asking as I want to get some calth marines from eBay while they're still cheap but don't want to overbuy. :)

e: I don't mind want they're run as just want to have an idea of how many bodies I need. It's a bit tough as I don't know anything about the force org for 30k and if I can ran them as vets instead of tac marines that's fine.

e2: vvv Ok, I'll get another two sprues, don't want too much to build and paint and get burned out again.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

ijyt posted:

So 3 ten man squads should do me? I'm just asking as I want to get some calth marines from eBay while they're still cheap but don't want to overbuy. :)

e: I don't mind want they're run as just want to have an idea of how many bodies I need. It's a bit tough as I don't know anything about the force org for 30k and if I can ran them as vets instead of tac marines that's fine.

I get ya. My lists as WB player usually wobble been 30-40ish Marines. I'm usually running them as Vets but I also magnetized them (the Calth minis are perfect for this) to switch to regular 10man squads if I need to.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

TTerrible posted:

I'm surprised the auction completed without GW legal apparating and gutting someone.

Take this with a pinch of salt if you will, but I know someone who worked at GW HQ for some time, and and she immediately recognized the desk surface behind the original ebay pic. In the past, when models have appeared early, there was a good chance that it was a factory error, an unreleased sprue falling in the wrong hopper and getting boxed+shipped, but this may have been some sly internal hype attempt.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

My general heresy experience has been that throwing hard punches is way better than trying to tank hits, and tacs are just way too ineffectual at that to accomplish anything. 20 footslogging tacs will melt to a lot of anti infantry stuff, and especially with vets getting so much better they've really become a tax you want to minimize as much as possible, either through RoWs or just taking some small units in rhinos to objective grab. 20 with hand weapons in a storm eagle or Spartan is a good time but if they're not in vehicles they're probably toast.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

gently caress it, these guys are pretty much done.

These turned out great. Well-weathered Death Guard are a highlight of the army and those modified scythes are way better than the farm tools they started as.

I kind of wanted to do some minor weathering on my Dark Angels, but you can't do much with black armor. Sponge on some dark metallics, maybe, but soot isn't an option.

SRM posted:

I can kind of see where that's coming from. Tactical squads are the budget troops choice and don't bring anything special to the table. In my opinion, that really depends on the legion. A 20-man blob can do some real damage with the right bonuses. For example, swords are mandatory for my guys seeing as how that's the only thing they have going for them. It's one thing tacticals can do that breachers can't. Even then, a blob needs an apothecary and likely an additional character like a chaplain attached to make them really effective since they'll be walking barring access to a big, ol' transport. Those should probably be going to better units though. A blob ends up being a huge investment by the time it's all said and done and there are a lot of ways to bypass that 3+ save and feel no pain. It's a big target that's hard to hide and people are going to be gunning for it. A full-blown Fury of the Legion can be devastating, but it's difficult to pull off as the unit can't move beforehand. It seems like it's meant to further punish a failed charge.

I've also taken a 10-man squad in a rhino and it's rare they do anything at all beyond objective grabbing. My ultimate goal is to run an Ironwing list (at least until plastic jetbikes appear) so I need to get used to that. I always ran mechanized tacticals in 40k, but I really feel the loss of special weapons here.

The thing is, I like 30k tactical squads. With swords added on they become a solid jack of all trades unit and an apothecary makes a blob into a decent anvil. They have to be dealt with and they're the cheapest way to get bodies on the table. They just have some real limitations. God forbid they get charged by a contemptor.

ijyt posted:

I think having the option of running two 20-man tactical squads is probably a good idea. I grabbed two Calth boxes as my base and the 60 marines got built as 40 tacticals and 20 support guys. You could easily do a mix of veterans if you wanted. Veteran tacticals are really good right now and function more like a 40k tactical squad on steroids.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Now that I am infront of a computer, I can properly respond.

The reason that I dislike tactical squads is that other units just do what they do, but better. Tacticals are way better midfield units, both with their ability to take special weapons, and they start out with chainswords. 10 tacs with chainswords costs only 10 points less than 10 vets. If you want melee, go with assault marines. If you just need to fill out your two troop choices, I would go with assault marines every time. 13 points pr. model. The 12" move is a big gamechanger. You can grab objectives faster, get to the enemy faster, or run away from danger faster. Yeah, FotL is kind of nice, but It's still only a bolter shot. Best case scenario is 80 shots, which is alot, granted, but its only 9 dead marines. Assault Marines atleast gets you the possibility of a sweeping advance, which is deadly as gently caress. Veterans are also better in CC, due to more attacks and the ability to take more power weapons that cant be challenged out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sorry, it was also my fault for not using proper nomenclature. When I said tactical marines it's because I wasn't aware of veterans being a thing - it was more of a "how many of these models should I have to be able to be flexible with my lists"

Again, sorry for the confusion and thanks for the good info.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
do not take assault marines

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

For something different: Daemons in 30k? Y/N

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Safety Factor posted:

These turned out great. Well-weathered Death Guard are a highlight of the army and those modified scythes are way better than the farm tools they started as.

I kind of wanted to do some minor weathering on my Dark Angels, but you can't do much with black armor. Sponge on some dark metallics, maybe, but soot isn't an option.

Thanks man. Have you thought about going the other direction for your weathering? Depending on your basing, why not use an ochre or khaki pigment as dust that will actually show up on your black plates?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Assault Marines are probably the best troops choice you get without a ROW. Tacticals once had a niche as the cheapest troops choice, but now they're barely cheaper than assault marines which can move faster, take melee weapons, and get combat shields with no drawbacks compared to breachers. Breachers are the worst troops choice outside of scout squads- super expensive, super niche (people make the ZM argument all the time, but in reality 90% of games are not ZM so it's a very weak argument), and get no extra attacks in melee. When it comes to ROW troops choices, vets are kings of poo poo mountain. They're stupid good for the cost and FW kinda screwed the pooch by making them better than all the other options. Next up are terminators- cheaper and everything breachers wanted to be. You also get two flavours one that's as fast as infantry and another that's tough and slow. Both have combi weapons and power axes.

I like tactical squads, but in the new meta they are worse than before despite the points drop. They need a buff- like allowing fury of the legion after moving. Some legions can pull them off still- world eaters are scary in melee, iron hands are cheap yet really tough, word bearers and iron warriors will never run away. My personal belif is to either go all in or buy them for their rhinos. Three rhinos with MM and combi meltas inside is cheap and pretty effective. 40-60 warm bodies with FNP is totally counter to the meta in some places and can really surprise people. Outside of this, the only nice thing about tacticals is that they can take a drop pod in orbital assault lists to help you with your drop pod quota. Anyways thanks for reading my opinions about space barbie dolls.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 7, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do not take assault marines

We live in a brave new world of wildly cheaper assault marines, which a lot of legions boost to frightening capabilities for the unit's costs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, assault marines can get pretty pricy when you factor in their upgrades. We're talking 405 points for a 20-man squad with combat shields and four power weapons (I'm guessing the conventional wisdom is to take axes?). Toss in a tooled-up sergeant and that's another 20-30 points depending on weapon choice. Is a squad like that worth it? I'd be really hesitant to shell out that much for a troops choice. Even a 10-man squad with power weapons (no shields) is fairly pricy though not that much more than a tactical squad with knives in a rhino.

I think a unit of assault marines with power swords and combat shields would look rad as hell and if a proper plastic kit came out I'd definitely make at least one. The Dark Angels' sword bonus might even make them decently effective. Combat shields would also be a perfect place for checker patterns. :shepface:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So I bought Calth. SRM talked me into it. I want to do some list-building before I paint them all up, though. I'm planning on doing Raven Guard. Which books do I buy?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

The Sex Cannon posted:

So I bought Calth. SRM talked me into it. I want to do some list-building before I paint them all up, though. I'm planning on doing Raven Guard. Which books do I buy?

If you just want the army lists and you aren't trying to go crazy, these two are pretty much all you need for now:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Legiones-Astartes-Age-of-Darkness-Legions

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-heresy-legiones-Astartes-Age-of-Darkness-Army-List

The first contains all the legion-specific info from the first few big black books, and the second is all of the basic units that are not specific to any legion. I believe both are available digitally as well?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Further to the above, the Raven Guard are covered in more detail in Book 3: Extermination.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

Thanks man. Have you thought about going the other direction for your weathering? Depending on your basing, why not use an ochre or khaki pigment as dust that will actually show up on your black plates?

DA hand down their armor to their little brothers whenever it gets dirty :smug:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm a great bad influence. Those two books will do ya good. The extra info and color plates and such in Extermination might be useful for hobbying and inspiring with cool stories and such, but just those two books will be all you need to play.

I didn't play in this game at NOVA, but this 30k Apocalypse game was too cool not to take pictures of:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Finally got some 30k hobbying in. Still got a few details left but by and large these guys are done.

Erebus' lack of fingers is due to an rear end in a top hat cat knocking him onto the ground.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ha ha those googly eyes on the great unclean one, great job!

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

BULBASAUR posted:

Assault Marines are probably the best troops choice you get without a ROW. Tacticals once had a niche as the cheapest troops choice, but now they're barely cheaper than assault marines which can move faster, take melee weapons, and get combat shields with no drawbacks compared to breachers. Breachers are the worst troops choice outside of scout squads- super expensive, super niche (people make the ZM argument all the time, but in reality 90% of games are not ZM so it's a very weak argument), and get no extra attacks in melee. When it comes to ROW troops choices, vets are kings of poo poo mountain. They're stupid good for the cost and FW kinda screwed the pooch by making them better than all the other options. Next up are terminators- cheaper and everything breachers wanted to be. You also get two flavours one that's as fast as infantry and another that's tough and slow. Both have combi weapons and power axes.

I like tactical squads, but in the new meta they are worse than before despite the points drop. They need a buff- like allowing fury of the legion after moving. Some legions can pull them off still- world eaters are scary in melee, iron hands are cheap yet really tough, word bearers and iron warriors will never run away. My personal belif is to either go all in or buy them for their rhinos. Three rhinos with MM and combi meltas inside is cheap and pretty effective. 40-60 warm bodies with FNP is totally counter to the meta in some places and can really surprise people. Outside of this, the only nice thing about tacticals is that they can take a drop pod in orbital assault lists to help you with your drop pod quota. Anyways thanks for reading my opinions about space barbie dolls.

Breachers are most defiantly over-costed but they can take a Land Raider as a Dedicated Transport, which can be useful. I've also found them to be OK in The Stone Gauntlet ROW, but they are mostly just a tax for toughness 5 THSS Terminators.

I'm still bitter that I bought 40 of them anticipating a decent point adjustment. I should have known better, GW puts way too much value on lovely invulnerable saves and defensive grenades.

I need to work on a Hammerfell Strike Force list and use it to spam face plasma. How douche-baggie could I go with that?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Some images of a 3v3 game we played today. 3k points on each side. Teams were TS/EC/Mech vs SW/WS/Salamanders. Sorry for the blurryness of some of the pictures, my hands arent very steady.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cool pics

What did the TS dude do for rules?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whole bunch of great looking armies there - that gradient on the Thousand Sons leviathan though. :flashfap:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
It's cool seeing some White Scars in the wild, I feel like they're the least represented legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
gently caress yeah, loving all these painted 30k mans