Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

The few times that I've used Android Pay the terminal made me put in a PIN.

Does your phone use the whole unlock, or do you use something like a PIN/Fingerprint/Password?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Does your phone use the whole unlock, or do you use something like a PIN/Fingerprint/Password?

Pattern lock.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Serenade posted:

Suppose there was a sudden and compelling reason to swap from an iphone to an android device, going from one to the other is just a matter of file transfer then moving over the sim cards, correct?

Asking for a friend and that friend is me.

Look up disconnecting iMessage from your number. If you don't, group messages from iPhone users will fail. That's the big thing that trips people up.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uthor posted:

Look up disconnecting iMessage from your number. If you don't, group messages from iPhone users will fail. That's the big thing that trips people up.

Not only that; they have to start a new group conversation once you deregister.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Have they announced a price for the LG V20 yet?
Given that the price of the HTC S&M is going to be near Samsung territory, I want to know if I should bother, or just wait for a sale on a S7/Edge.
The dust resistance is actually relevant to my job.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love it when all the Americans in this thread complain about how bad contactless is. I walk into almost any retailer in the UK and touch my phone on the card reader for half a second and it works. Don't have to unlock the phone, no entering PINs, no delays. Sorry that you live in a terrible country.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tap payment loving owns, chip cards are a close second. Americans are big babbies.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Contactless payment works great for me in the US so I'm not sure what you two are going on about. What a strange position to launch an "America sucks" argument from.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Tunga posted:

I love it when all the Americans in this thread complain about how bad contactless is. I walk into almost any retailer in the UK and touch my phone on the card reader for half a second and it works. Don't have to unlock the phone, no entering PINs, no delays. Sorry that you live in a terrible country.

You've got no security whatsoever when paying with your phone? :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, you do. It's tokenized so it's actually more secure than any magnetic swipe since the merchant isn't using your credit card number.

Holy poo poo there's a lot of FUD about how these contactless payment systems work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Contactless payment works great for me in the US so I'm not sure what you two are going on about. What a strange position to launch an "America sucks" argument from.

It works great for me at the handful of places that actually accept it. It's mostly just McDonald's and Whole Foods and I'm surprised when I find somewhere else accepting it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Pretty sure he was talking about the lack of PIN or fingerprint or what have you, so if someone stole his phone they could go on a shopping spree.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

To be fair, when one's country votes en masse that it's totally cool with the idea of isolationism, and nullifying a decades long, international economic agreement that had generally been in their favour, you grasp whatever straws you can to feel good.

See: Canadian envy of even American internet/phone plans, while holding high their healthcare system. :canada:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 8, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Chip & PIN doesn't even exist in the US so tell any foreign person you know that at when you want to pay at a restaurant the waiter takes your card and disappears with it and they will look at you like all Americans are batshit crazy. Also 75% of merchant terminals don't even have the NFC portion turned on (yet).

However, at places where the terminal has contactless actually enabled, it works great.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The most annoying thing in Australia is that random pos terminals have NFC disabled for either amex or android pay for no reason. drat you Woolworths, Coles accepts my AP using my Amex, why won't you? You accept the amex...?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The vast majority of places I've been to in the USA don't use tap or chip. I get really uneasy and it's really weird when for every meal out the server takes my card away to swipe rather than bring a chip terminal to me, or if I'm picking up a drink and can't tap my card. You guys are waaaaaay behind a lot of places I've been to.

Funny enough, one of the most modern places I've seen for tap/chip payment was New Zealand.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
In my area, it seems like most chip readers are disabled, and pretty much no one has NFC. :shrug:

The chip readers that are enabled are finicky as poo poo. I usually have to run it twice because of some sort of error.

That and my bank can't get it's poo poo together and work out how my chip card should work because it's a completely different process every week when I buy groceries.

I think this all boils down to America being behind the times, but it certainly sucks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Pretty sure he was talking about the lack of PIN or fingerprint or what have you, so if someone stole his phone they could go on a shopping spree.

Well, the security is up to the phone in that case. You can set a pin, fingerprint, password, pattern lock or whatever and remotely erase it if it's stolen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Any worthwhile phone payment will force a security measure of some sort. If it doesn't, then you shouldn't be using it and should strongly question using that manufacturer's phones.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

Any worthwhile phone payment will force a security measure of some sort. If it doesn't, then you shouldn't be using it and should strongly question using that manufacturer's phones.
I use my fingerprint scanner on my 6P and it works fine. I was referring to this:

Tunga posted:

Don't have to unlock the phone, no entering PINs, no delays.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds like a phone someone shouldn't be using since they don't value the user/s security.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Selling my Nexus 6P 64GB in Gold: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789376

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I seem to recall 2 years ago wanting to get the newest Sony Xperia phone for some reason, at the suggestion of some goons on here. I ended up grabbing a refurbished phone for a while instead. Is the newest Xperia any good? Or is there supposed to be one coming out in several months? Or is it poo poo now?

Thinking I should upgrade to an actual new phone sometime in the next half year or so and just trying to figure out what the gently caress to get.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MaxDuo posted:

I seem to recall 2 years ago wanting to get the newest Sony Xperia phone for some reason, at the suggestion of some goons on here. I ended up grabbing a refurbished phone for a while instead. Is the newest Xperia any good? Or is there supposed to be one coming out in several months? Or is it poo poo now?

Thinking I should upgrade to an actual new phone sometime in the next half year or so and just trying to figure out what the gently caress to get.

I went from a Z1 to my current Z5 and they're wonderful, albeit almost identical devices. I love the waterproofing and camera, the battery life is generally good, and I like my green phone colour.

ymmv, of course

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The whole email just keeps slamming Samsung ("Moto Z Force Droid packs a rigorously-tested, high-quality battery...")

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, you do. It's tokenized so it's actually more secure than any magnetic swipe since the merchant isn't using your credit card number.

Holy poo poo there's a lot of FUD about how these contactless payment systems work.

The best ones are the ones that bilk rubes out of money with tinfoil wallets and poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Funny enough, one of the most modern places I've seen for tap/chip payment was New Zealand.

Small market, few banks, fairly well regulated. Comparatively easy rollout. Plus companies will often use it as a trial area.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

monster on a stick posted:

The whole email just keeps slamming Samsung ("Moto Z Force Droid packs a rigorously-tested, high-quality battery...")

Any details on this?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm in the process of updating my Nexus 5X to 7.0 OTA and I just noticed the first time it went to reboot after unpacking it has the Android robot and says Error. Should I be worried? About 10 seconds after that it continued doing its thing.

EDIT: Once it rebooted it still seems to be on 6.0.1, guess I just try again?
EDIT 2: Tells me to just try again but apparently it needs to download the 1.1 Gb update again, sigh...

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 8, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds like a phone someone shouldn't be using since they don't value the user/s security.

I'm pretty sure he uses a Nexus

Here's how it works silly American types - up to £30 you can just tap without any kind of pin, but there are time/location/amount limits where it will then start asking for a pin

So no they wouldn't be able to go on a shopping spree, and it would be trivially easy to show the bank it wasn't you doing the spending as we live in a country with every inch covered by cctv and you'd get your money back

Contactless is bloody great

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Skarsnik posted:

Here's how it works silly American types - up to £30 you can just tap without any kind of pin, but there are time/location/amount limits where it will then start asking for a pin

Contactless is bloody great
It is great but in American it's even better because you can use contactless for any amount. I've used it at Trader Joe's and bought something like $75-100 worth of grocery for the month and while juggling a baby managed to use my phone to pay for it instead of having to insert my drat card and put in my PIN.

Imagine my surprise when I moved to the UK, bought a bunch of stuff to furnish my house and I couldn't use my phone to pay for it since you have a weird rule it has to be under £35 or something like that.

It was great nonetheless to be able to use contactless even with my American card here until I got setup with a UK bank account.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Over 30 it just asks for a pin and the limit is £100

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some of this already got answered but I'm catching up with all the overnight chat that happened while I was sleeping in my non-terrible country.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

For amounts up to £30 there is no validation required, exactly the same as for a contactless card. The phone just has to be awake. Using Android Pay at all does require that a secure lock screen is set up, and for amounts over £30 you have to unlock.

real_scud posted:

Imagine my surprise when I moved to the UK, bought a bunch of stuff to furnish my house and I couldn't use my phone to pay for it since you have a weird rule it has to be under £35 or something like that.
There is no payment limit on Android Pay, unlike with a contactless card, because it has this ability to actually validate the user when needed. Banks and retailers can set limits if they want to. Nationwide doesn't have any fixed limit, for example, except the standard language about "suspicious usage" or whatever.

Endless Mike posted:

Nexus 6P but it has nothing to do with the device. This is how Android Pay works in the UK (and, I suspect, other places) because this is how contactless cards work here already.

If I lose my phone I can remotely wipe/lock it. If I lose my card I phone my bank and they cancel it. Either way I get any fraudulent payments refunded and it's totally fine.

Mister Macys posted:

To be fair, when one's country votes en masse that it's totally cool with the idea of isolationism, and nullifying a decades long, international economic agreement that had generally been in their favour, you grasp whatever straws you can to feel good.
:feelsgood:

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I'm actually pretty excited about the Pixel idea, if it's true that Google brought back Osterloh to run head up Pixel phones next year and beyond and that Google's going to be doing the design, rather than the manufacturer. The original Moto X was the best phone I ever had, and I'd like to see more stuff like it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think people in places where contactless cards are commonplace are just a lot more comfortable with the concept. Sure if you lose the phone/card you could get ripped off by small amounts at a time but the bank is just going to refund you anyway.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Since we're on the subject - when using Android Pay (in the UK) for payments over £30, do you have to unlock before you try to pay? If you try and pay without unlocking, will it fail, or will it prompt you for your PIN/fingerprint then? I've only used it for <£30 payments so far.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chippy posted:

Since we're on the subject - when using Android Pay (in the UK) for payments over £30, do you have to unlock before you try to pay? If you try and pay without unlocking, will it fail, or will it prompt you for your PIN/fingerprint then? I've only used it for <£30 payments so far.
According to the help docs it will prompt you, but I've not personally seen it as my credit card doesn't support contactless and I generally don't put anything over £10 on my debit (via card or phone).

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Red_Fred posted:

I'm in the process of updating my Nexus 5X to 7.0 OTA and I just noticed the first time it went to reboot after unpacking it has the Android robot and says Error. Should I be worried? About 10 seconds after that it continued doing its thing.

EDIT: Once it rebooted it still seems to be on 6.0.1, guess I just try again?
EDIT 2: Tells me to just try again but apparently it needs to download the 1.1 Gb update again, sigh...

My 6P did exactly this and it worked fine the second time. I've seen quite a few people who had the same issue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm going to be headed to the the EU in a couple of weeks from the US. Is it possible to use Android pay or do I have to pay with cash for everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All Australian airlines have banned the Note 7 and it may have burned down a house in SC.

Seriously people, get rid of these things. Buy a cheap sub $100 phone on Amazon or swappa to get you through until you get a replacement. But I would stop using them if your have them and return them