Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

They said they chose that section to show-off the 4K and HDR. It's weird that the first real footage we get of this is from an event about visual improvements, not a real gameplay showcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm the Asari Burglar

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Veotax posted:

They said they chose that section to show-off the 4K and HDR. It's weird that the first real footage we get of this is from an event about visual improvements, not a real gameplay showcase.
Not that weird if the game's still in the pre-alpha stage, as the footage suggests.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh poo poo did you see dem platforms?!?!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kurtofan posted:

I'm the Asari Burglar
In a hole in the ground there lived an asari.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sombrerotron posted:

Not that weird if the game's still in the pre-alpha stage, as the footage suggests.

But aren't they claiming release early next year? Shouldn't they be beyond pre-alpha?

What are they, Star Citizen?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

But aren't they claiming release early next year? Shouldn't they be beyond pre-alpha?

The footage was pre-alpha, doesn't mean that the game is still there.

But they did say that November 7th they'd put up a new trailer, so I assume we'll get the release date around then.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Pre alpha is everything up until formal testing begins. An alpha is everything up until feature completion, a beta is feature complete. Depending on their testing definitions, alpha->beta->gold could be relatively fast compared to the majority of the time spent in "pre alpha".

Seems weird that they didn't show a full vertical slice though, should've at least taken a pot shot at something to show some particle effects in engine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hobbesmaster posted:

Pre alpha is everything up until formal testing begins. An alpha is everything up until feature completion, a beta is feature complete. Depending on their testing definitions, alpha->beta->gold could be relatively fast compared to the majority of the time spent in "pre alpha".

Seems weird that they didn't show a full vertical slice though, should've at least taken a pot shot at something to show some particle effects in engine.

Ah, cool, thanks.

It looks good and it's positive to see something in-engine and such but it still feels a bit weird that this is the first thing we've really seen.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I wonder if the jet pack is context sensitive or if you can just use it anytime. It looked like just enough to jump to the pillars.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

denimgorilla posted:

I wonder if the jet pack is context sensitive or if you can just use it anytime. It looked like just enough to jump to the pillars.

They said it's a new feature.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

denimgorilla posted:

In one of the leaked videos, we saw a guy flying around in what appeared to be a combat section.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pattonesque posted:

that's kinda pretty

interesting that their first reveal focus on scanning things and exploration

I hope they aren't making it an Ubisoft game like DA:I was.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

I hope they aren't making it an Ubisoft game like DA:I was.

Oh they are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/32yzxf/last_month_i_took_a_random_survey_about_mass/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poo poo. Maybe the writing will at least be better. Wtf happend to bioware.

Edit: parts of it sound good though. if they can get rid of the ridiculous amount of grinding that plagued DA:I then it could work.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 8, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
some new info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/51qbfr/potential_spoilers_new_details_about_ryders_family/

The Ryders are siblings and the N7 guy from the original trailer is their dad

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
SSV Daddy Issues flies again

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

the daddy issues will be coming from inside the commander

e;fb

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anyone else notice the "platform appears as I walk" animation was from DAI's Trespasser? It's fine to reuse stuff, but that particular animation looked like it worked better as "this is purely magic dream realm" sort of thing rather than a sci-fi thing.

So little things I'm wondering about: Is Nolan North the guy-Ryder or the dad? Are exploration sections just Ryder on his/her own or will we have companions trailing behind us in normal gameplay? Also, who is belly coat Asari?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Lotish posted:

Anyone else notice the "platform appears as I walk" animation was from DAI's Trespasser? It's fine to reuse stuff, but that particular animation looked like it worked better as "this is purely magic dream realm" sort of thing rather than a sci-fi thing.

So little things I'm wondering about : Is Nolan North the guy-Ryder or the dad? Are exploration sections just Ryder on his/her own or will we have companions trailing behind us in normal gameplay? Also, who is belly coat Asari?

It looked kind of rough to me, more like the bridge became visible in a circle around the player rather than a bunch of mini platforms all coming together. I expect it'll be more appropriately scifi when finished.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pattonesque posted:

some new info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/51qbfr/potential_spoilers_new_details_about_ryders_family/

The Ryders are siblings and the N7 guy from the original trailer is their dad

Which one is the space racist and/or I can nuke. I got to get my ashley fix out of this game, and then laugh when she is brought up ever again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Whichever sibling you're not playing is going to make the heroic sacrifice so the stakes can get personal and importing to the second game is easier.

I wonder if the sibling you're not playing is going to still have blank protagonist syndrome of if they're going to be a rounded out character; like, am I going to start playing as Fem-Ryder and find that boy-Ryder is a cool guy to have around, and then never want to play as guy Ryder because Fem-Ryder is a stick in the mud I can't stand?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Can we turn the Ryder siblings black? Asking for a friend. Of a friend. Who is me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lotish posted:

Whichever sibling you're not playing is going to make the heroic sacrifice so the stakes can get personal and importing to the second game is easier.

I wonder if the sibling you're not playing is going to still have blank protagonist syndrome of if they're going to be a rounded out character; like, am I going to start playing as Fem-Ryder and find that boy-Ryder is a cool guy to have around, and then never want to play as guy Ryder because Fem-Ryder is a stick in the mud I can't stand?

I thought this was supposed to be DA:I not DA2

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Can we turn the Ryder siblings black? Asking for a friend. Of a friend. Who is me.

I imagine character creation will be a thing in a Bioware game, yes.

I always assumed MEA would follow the same formula as DAI (and that 4K video was DAI as gently caress) but I also hoped it would make the zones a lot more interesting. I actually really liked the idea of DAI's large zones with various points of interest and a bit of level cordon. The problem was that those points of interest were only rarely interesting and all you really got from them was the occasional fun fight and descriptions in a text box.

If MEA can take that idea from DAI and make it better then I think it has a good chance of being a good starting point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Nolan North is the male Ryder, but we don't know who the female VA is yet, right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Drake is Shepard?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Waltzing Along posted:

Drake is Shepard?

Actually don't know if it's confirmed, but it sure sounded like him.

Though, re-listening w/ a bit more scrutiny, I'm not so certain anymore. (But the guy has a lot of range)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rinkles posted:

Nolan North is the male Ryder, but we don't know who the female VA is yet, right?

apperently the dude in the video isnt male ryder, its the ryder's father.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apperently the dude in the video isnt male ryder, its the ryder's father.

The dude in the video is Ryderbro. The guy in the N7 suit in the trailers is Ryderdad.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Have they said anything about whether you'll be able to import your ME3 save or not? I'd say poo poo might get complicated with all the variables and stuff, but given how inconsequential a lot of ME decisions ended up being, I'm confident they could do it with a minimum of effort.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

QuantaStarFire posted:

Have they said anything about whether you'll be able to import your ME3 save or not? I'd say poo poo might get complicated with all the variables and stuff, but given how inconsequential a lot of ME decisions ended up being, I'm confident they could do it with a minimum of effort.

It will probably be like inquisition where you log into a website and tell it what decisions you want to have apply.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurieg posted:

It will probably be like inquisition where you log into a website and tell it what decisions you want to have apply.

That system is so much better than any kind of safe state import, there's no way they won't use it.

If there is such a thing at all. Because it doesn't really matter at all what happened in the Milky Way, right? They could just not do any kind of import.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nothing I have seen from this game has given me any confidence in its ability to be good at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

QuantaStarFire posted:

No, but I'd hazard that they wouldn't.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

exquisite tea posted:

Nothing I have seen from this game has given me any confidence in its ability to be good at all.

If they have the same team as MS3 for multiplayer that part might still be good.

God that's a lot of "ifs".

BexGu fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 9, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

Nothing I have seen so far gives me any reason to think this game will be bad either.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Torrannor posted:

That system is so much better than any kind of safe state import, there's no way they won't use it.

If there is such a thing at all. Because it doesn't really matter at all what happened in the Milky Way, right? They could just not do any kind of import.

there'll be some kind of import, I think, because at one point Ryder and someone are going to talk about Shepard and how he/she was such an amazing soldier/engineer/biotic and what they can learn from his/her paragon/renegade decisions

Torrannor posted:

Nothing I have seen so far gives me any reason to think this game will be bad either.

we're all experts here

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

BexGu posted:

If they have the same team as MS3 for multiplayer that part might still be good.

God that's a lot of "ifs".

I'm pretty sure that the team who did the multiplayer for 3 are the leads for Andromeda. I can't find it right now but I definitely remember reading it last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pattonesque posted:

there'll be some kind of import, I think, because at one point Ryder and someone are going to talk about Shepard and how he/she was such an amazing soldier/engineer/biotic and what they can learn from his/her paragon/renegade decisions

we're all experts here

1. That seems like very little payoff for a lot of work to implement that feature. But perhaps they fear fan backlash if they don't reference Shepard, so anything is posdible.

2. I'm bad at detecting internet sarcasm, is that a dog at me? In any case, you can approach the game like "bad until proven otherwise", which is a valid method. But we have so few informations regarding the actual game itself, I would simply wait until we get at least beta footage and more in-depth looks before despairing over the game possibly being bad.

• Locked thread