Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chaosapiant posted:

Yep that's it, thanks!

Also just sayin, GMDX makes your strength aug on at all times. My face when I accidentally strength chucked a body at wall instead of leisurely letting it down like I intended: :stare:

Just saying "he exploded" is not a proper description of what I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just dropping in to say I'm trying GMDX based on how hard SolidSnakesBandana is shilling it and I just discovered crossbow bolts (normal ones, not tranq darts) make guys' heads loving explode now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

All headshots do. Unless they ping off a helmet.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Oh. I hadn't seen my pistol doing it, guess it was just the helmets.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
GMDX isn't bad (I'll probably play through it after Revision), but it does some things that make me go 'huh?".

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Posts like the above just make no sense to me. I don't see how someone can like Revision and not like GMDX. Honestly I don't see how someone can like Revision at all. It takes good things about Deus Ex and does away with them. Yeah there are a few things in GMDX that aren't fantastic but the same can be said about nearly any mod that changes a lot of things, including Biomod and Shifter. Most likely its me thats the weirdo in this instance

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Posts like the above just make no sense to me. I don't see how someone can like Revision and not like GMDX. Honestly I don't see how someone can like Revision at all. It takes good things about Deus Ex and does away with them. Yeah there are a few things in GMDX that aren't fantastic but the same can be said about nearly any mod that changes a lot of things, including Biomod and Shifter. Most likely its me thats the weirdo in this instance
Revision is a mod that adds things to Deus Ex. Some of them are good, some of them are bad, but they are mostly optional. Biomod is a mod that adds things to Deus Ex. They are not optional, but they are well considered, fixing actual flaws in the game.

GMDX is a mod that subtracts things from Deus Ex. Good things that Deus Ex works worse without. It's a garbage mod for garbage people :)

Edit - I'm sorry, GMDX actually makes such valuable changes as additional sentry bots that go invisible when damaged, and Karkians in Vandenberg. Basically, every time I noticed a major change it was garbage.

Editx2 - Besides TNM, which I've replayed twice, are there any good DX mods? I recall playing Nihilus and one other that were fairly garbage, and I never got Project Cassandra to run.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 30, 2016

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
GMDX lets you use your strength aug to kill people by hurling the bodies of their friends at them so hard that they explode in a shower of blood. I find that to be both major and good.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Crindee posted:

GMDX lets you use your strength aug to kill people by hurling the bodies of their friends at them so hard that they explode in a shower of blood. I find that to be both major and good.

I would love to see a gif of this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

I would love to see a gif of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnaLnztijA

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think the best part is how Jaime's dialogue doesn't change.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One neat thing about GMDX is it adds a lot of throwable poo poo everywhere, so you can probably beat the whole game just chucking boxes at people at mach speed

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

One neat thing about GMDX is it adds a lot of throwable poo poo everywhere, so you can probably beat the whole game just chucking boxes at people at mach speed

So it brings the best part of IW over? Cool.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

So it brings the best part of IW over? Cool.

It does not have EMP Baton Punch, no

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This works even if you're doing a non-lethal run! Chucking cardboard boxes knocks people unconscious but does not kill them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Segmentation Fault posted:

This works even if you're doing a non-lethal run! Chucking cardboard boxes knocks people unconscious but does not kill them.

This changes everything.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This changes everything.

I discovered this on accident. Someone heard me skulking around and I went into panic mode, grabbing a giant cardboard box and throwing it at the guy and he just went "euuhhhnnnhhh" instead of the usual "YAAARRRGGG." Checked the body and sure enough, he's unconscious.

My next GMDX run is going to be melee/throwing only.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh, that's wonderful.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I haven't played Revision or GMDX. :ohdear:

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 31, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Edit - I'm sorry, GMDX actually makes such valuable changes as additional sentry bots that go invisible when damaged, and Karkians in Vandenberg. Basically, every time I noticed a major change it was garbage.

let's not forget that every single loving mj12 trooper can cloak, making them super-obnoxious to fight straight-up and encouraging you even more to just stealth-kill them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Are there any mods/fixes/etc that I should get beyond the launcher, New Vision, HDTP and Biomod?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ok yeah i think i just hit peak GMDX in the Underwater Base Walton Simons fight. playing on Realistic the dude shrugs off four Master rockets like it's nothing. full plasma clip? not a scratch on him. flamethrower? don't even think about it. even with energy resistance i gotta say, they sure beefed up this fight.

Sniper Rifle? two headshots in less than half a second, dude doesn't even get to raise his weapon before he's dead. somehow they've made it even more the one true answer than in standard DX.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it also solved all my lockpicking problems

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm halfway or so through revision and I absolutely love it! That's all.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I got my girlfriend to start playing Deus Ex. She fell in love with it the moment she heard the intro theme, and became utterly engrossed when stepping into UNATCO HQ for the first time.

Its one thing to experience this game for the first time, but sharing that experience with someone else is priceless.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I got my girlfriend to start playing Deus Ex. She fell in love with it the moment she heard the intro theme, and became utterly engrossed when stepping into UNATCO HQ for the first time.

Its one thing to experience this game for the first time, but sharing that experience with someone else is priceless.

Put a ring on that quick!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

Silly goon; video games can't wear rings.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Girlfriend leaves Everett's residence without discovering Morpheus: divorce.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

gary oldmans diary posted:

Girlfriend leaves Everett's residence without discovering Morpheus: divorce.

I literally just discovered Morpheus after reading this post :stare:

(yeah im playing og deus ex for the first time in 2016, what of it)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Didn't they originally want Morpheus to include a whole ELIZA-esque text parser, or am I imagining things again?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

psychoJ posted:

I literally just discovered Morpheus after reading this post :stare:

(yeah im playing og deus ex for the first time in 2016, what of it)

It's been said before but NG Resonance validating everything Morpheus says about society embracing surveillance as the evolution of celebrity culture was one of the best things to come out of Invisible War. The fact that she was such a great character("Tra-la-la-la-la-lala. I think I'll fire the bitch ;-*") and they let you interact with her in so many ways didn't hurt either.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

She met Alexander Brandon and he's on her Facebook friends list. I'm so goddamn jealous.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

It's been said before but NG Resonance validating everything Morpheus says about society embracing surveillance as the evolution of celebrity culture was one of the best things to come out of Invisible War. The fact that she was such a great character("Tra-la-la-la-la-lala. I think I'll fire the bitch ;-*") and they let you interact with her in so many ways didn't hurt either.

I was disappointed that NG Resonance was an actual person. I was hoping that she was just an AI.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

I was disappointed that NG Resonance was an actual person. I was hoping that she was just an AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4VxZAkkdI

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is it possible to do Castle Clinton without using lockpicks or multitools? As far as I can tell, the only ways in are to either pick the box to access panel next to the vending machine by the start, pick the chest inside the kiosk to get the password data cube, or multitool the panel to open the door directly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

404notfound posted:

Is it possible to do Castle Clinton without using lockpicks or multitools? As far as I can tell, the only ways in are to either pick the box to access panel next to the vending machine by the start, pick the chest inside the kiosk to get the password data cube, or multitool the panel to open the door directly.

Can't you bribe the kid for a password?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

IIRC you can give the kid inside Castle Clinton a candy bar and he'll tell you the panel code.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Any kind of food will work. But I can't remember if there's a way past the locked hatch that covers the panel other than lockpicking.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

chiasaur11 posted:

IIRC you can give the kid inside Castle Clinton a candy bar and he'll tell you the panel code.

He gives you the password for the panel, but the panel itself is inside a locked box.

I looked up how a guy doing a "no items" run did it, and he just used one of the TNT boxes in the subway to blow open the chest with the data cube with the password to open the door. I was hoping to do a run without any tools or hacking, but literally every other guide I read said to just pick/multitool my way in, so I guess this'll have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Can't you just knock out one of the NSF in the courtyard and take a key off one of them. I bet one of them has one.