Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

The studios only get about half of domestic gross back to them and about one-quarter of international gross back to them because people other than the studios have to get paid from those same ticket sales.

It's been well known for ages that theaters make their money on concessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack Gladney posted:

The inclusion of "inherently" would suggest exactly that, though I don't see why that would be the case. It's not like there are any scheming evil Jews or anything. I guess just because it's about a Roman who converts to non-swarthy Jesus without any historical fidelity to Christianity being a Jewish cult?
Ben-Hur is a Jew. A Jew converting to Christianity because it is obviously correct is a different narrative than "a Roman converts...". I haven't read the book since I was a teenager, so I can't say if Jews other than Ben-Hur and his family are stereotyped.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ben-Hur is a Jew. A Jew converting to Christianity because it is obviously correct is a different narrative than "a Roman converts...". I haven't read the book since I was a teenager, so I can't say if Jews other than Ben-Hur and his family are stereotyped.

Holy poo poo am I embarrassed I forgot that part. In my defense that movie was really long and 60s when I was 14 and watched it for history (?) class. It mostly taught me that everyone in ancient times was white.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But Ben-Hur doesn't convert. He shows kindness to a man who showed kindness to him and was rewarded for it. Unless the book differs significantly in that regard?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

But Ben-Hur doesn't convert. He shows kindness to a man who showed kindness to him and was rewarded for it. Unless the book differs significantly in that regard?

I had a panicked feeling, but Wikipedia to the rescue. "After witnessing the Crucifixion, Judah [Ben-Hur] recognizes that Christ's life stands for a goal quite different from revenge. Judah becomes Christian, inspired by love and the talk of keys to a kingdom greater than any on Earth. The novel concludes with Judah's decision to finance the Catacomb of San Calixto in Rome, where Christian martyrs could be buried and venerated."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had a panicked feeling, but Wikipedia to the rescue. "After witnessing the Crucifixion, Judah [Ben-Hur] recognizes that Christ's life stands for a goal quite different from revenge. Judah becomes Christian, inspired by love and the talk of keys to a kingdom greater than any on Earth. The novel concludes with Judah's decision to finance the Catacomb of San Calixto in Rome, where Christian martyrs could be buried and venerated."

Huh. I like the movie better.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah I remember watching a making-of on the 1959 version that mentions how William Wyler and others wanted to tone down the explict "Jew converts to Christianity because it's obviously right" angle of the book, so it's more of a general brotherly love message in the movie (although Jesus is still at least somewhat magic I suppose).

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Just saw God's Not Dead 2. Ray Wise was fantastic in it as usual, but overall I found it pretty disappointing. His character wasn't as present or as explored as Sorbo's, despite being an even more amusing performance. I did enjoy how it was about Christians being victimized by paper pushers, office workers and dealing with oppressive administrative actions. And how every low level d al clerk or school board type was just absolutely sneeringly evil.

I was hoping that David AR White's character would maybe be somewhat relevant to the main plot this time instead of renting cars and failing to take a road trip. Then he got on the jury and it seemed like maybe he'd have something to do, but then he got randomly sick and literally fell out of the plot.

But the after credits teaser for God's Not Dead 3 & Knuckles seems to indicate he might actually do something next time.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I like to think that David AR White and Kirk Cameron are bitter rivals and have major Christian movie beef.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I like to think that David AR White and Kirk Cameron are bitter rivals and have major Christian movie beef.

Ok, somebody needs to make a movie of this right now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Robotnik Nudes posted:

They both make movies for Christ, but they can't stand reach others guts. What happens when God decides they should make a film together.

God sees to it that hijinks ensue, praise Jesus.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God's Not Dead: Civil (Holy) War

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Last Days in the Desert pales in comparison to the recently released Risen.

EDIT: Can't bring myself to believe Ewan McGregor as Jesus Christ.

The movie was total bullshit, even worse than The Last Temptation of Christ.

Rather than miracles, Rodrigo García's Jesus is a schizophrenic who hallucinates and is 100% human and 0% divine.

The director's vision is what the Sadducees and Pharisees claimed went down.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 5, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Evidently nobody agrees with my posts in this thread because I get no feedback.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

David is just mad he wasn't invited to Kirks bday

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

David AR White could have livened that poo poo up. Could have brought Ray Wise. Would have been a good time. Kirk hosed up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Who needs friends when Jesus is carrying you along the beach, toward a feast of Subway footlongs

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
When you saw only one footlong/it was because I ate the other one

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't get ride or die Subway people.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't get ride or die Subway people.

I mean, one in a while to get something into you during work or when there's nothing else to have but for your birthday? Really? Just you and your sister-wives(?) and Subway?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

resurgam40 posted:

I mean, one in a while to get something into you during work or when there's nothing else to have but for your birthday? Really? Just you and your sister-wives(?) and Subway?

Pretty sure that's on the FBI cult checklist. There's nothing else nearby? No gas station? Your supermarket doesn't have a deli?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
How does anyone bring themselves to eat the entire footlong?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

With intense shame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Horried Subway execs assumed people were buying footlongs to share with a friend.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

KinkyJohn posted:

Why are the comments disabled for every christian trailer movie ever? Is it because the non-believers are bullying those poor christians on the youtube, or is it because the creator pre-emptively knows what type of comments he'll get...

Eh, they likely know people are gonna either troll the comments or beat their opinions shown in the clip into the dirt. So to avoid having to defend their crazy bullshit they'll block comments instead.

Kinda like watching them bitch on IMDb about "atheists" insta downvoting their movies with 1 star ratings. But when you actually look at the votes, there's like 25-50% that 10 star the movies and a sprinkling of other votes down to a small percentage that voted 1.

It's just them trying to excuse their bullshit by not giving anyone room to question it or play the victim...because dear god are Christians ever persecuted more than anything else in the modern era

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To their credit, Youtube comments are vile.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I am always more confused when I see any sort of official youtube video with comments enabled. I can't see how that is any sort of benefit (unless you are Samantha Bee and you make 'which hateful screeds are real comments' a bonus part of your show)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is one of the saddest pictures I have ever seen in my life.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I always eat half, bring the other half home, and stick it in the fridge for another meal. 2 decent meals for $5 is a pretty good deal.

e: it especially owned when I lived walking distance from a 24-hour Subway, but it seems like the only places in the Houston suburbs that are allowed to be open 24 hours are Whataburger, Denny's and IHOP.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 7, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ensign_Ricky posted:

This one just feels like "Hey, let's remake this thing!" "Great, how do we make it feel authentic to the original?" "...Morgan Freeman!" "High five, bro!" *commence cocaine snorting*

I think that's the basic thought pattern for any modern remake and the remake of a remake.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Feldegast42 posted:

This is one of the saddest pictures I have ever seen in my life.
only because Jesus' love is invisible

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Sorry in advance for this - it's an effortpost that is a hard turn from the generql vibe here, but I figured it'd be an interesting discussion to have with you all. Interesting question I had posed to me in a film class last year, which I just thought of to post here for your thoughts:

The Irish film Calvary, starring Brendan Gleeson, is an excellent recent film that undoubtedly has Catholicism as a central theme. It is certainly of a much higher quality than the sort of "Christian film" generally discussed in this thread. However, there is certainly an argument to be made that this is a quality Christian film.

Now my professor gave an interesting insight. He said that generally, Christian or more spiritual individuals in the class saw it as a deeply Catholic film, and focused more on the tragic aspects of it; whereas atheist or non-religious students considered it extremely critical of religion and focused on the darkly comedic aspects.

Being a weird agnostic I suppose it's fitting that I landed in the middle. I thought that it was pro-Catholic values and anti-Catholic doctrine. I saw Gleeson's character as an incredibly accomplished Catholic with the power to do great who's hands were tied by the doctrine, incompetent priests in his parish, and especially the loss of public trust from the church sex scandal; his decline in morals (drinking, lashing out) is mainly due to his frustration with all of this.

What would the rest of you think of this who saw it? Catholic film, or secular?

DoctorG0nzo fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 8, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think that if you live a life steeped in Christ then you will see him under every bed skirt and use it as an excuse , so why not use it as an escape hatch from logic just the same as Jesus' forgiveness gives you an escape hatch from acting like a lovely person and then seeing yourself as forgiven?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Last Days In The Desert features a non-divine Jesus? That kinda sucks. Is it at least a good movie? If I have faith am I gonna feel like poo poo if I enjoy it?

I consume plenty of 'sinful' media but the blatantly heretical actually does bother me.

I thought the Last Temptation was a great movie though. The Passion is more upsetting and infuriating to me from the overtly sexist depiction of satan to the nazi-propaganda-esque depiction of the pharisees and actually basically everyone that was Jewish, the glorification of rome, and the most offensive thing is the apparent way the movie loving relishes in the torture of Christ. I hate to agree with South Park, but The Passion is a sickening, lovely movie and I've gotten into shouting matches about it back in my hardcore christian days.

That Christians not only accept The Passion but promote it as some way to connect with the savior is.... I just want to scream at them. There's so much wrong with the movie it's an insult to faith, it's an insult to God, and God, and the spirit of God, and women, and men, and snakes, and Romans, and also gently caress Mel Gibson although I like Apocalypto, it has many of the same problems, but it doesn't offend my religious sensibilities and he did a hell of a job with the imagery and storytelling, but I don't know this for sure, but I suspect his depiction of the Mayans/Aztecs/whoever the decadent human sacrificing natives were might be problematic, but apocalypto has little to do with this thread so i'll stop now.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

hemophilia posted:

Last Days In The Desert features a non-divine Jesus? That kinda sucks. Is it at least a good movie? If I have faith am I gonna feel like poo poo if I enjoy it?

I consume plenty of 'sinful' media but the blatantly heretical actually does bother me.

I thought the Last Temptation was a great movie though. The Passion is more upsetting and infuriating to me from the overtly sexist depiction of satan to the nazi-propaganda-esque depiction of the pharisees and actually basically everyone that was Jewish, the glorification of rome, and the most offensive thing is the apparent way the movie loving relishes in the torture of Christ. I hate to agree with South Park, but The Passion is a sickening, lovely movie and I've gotten into shouting matches about it back in my hardcore christian days.

That Christians not only accept The Passion but promote it as some way to connect with the savior is.... I just want to scream at them. There's so much wrong with the movie it's an insult to faith, it's an insult to God, and God, and the spirit of God, and women, and men, and snakes, and Romans, and also gently caress Mel Gibson although I like Apocalypto, it has many of the same problems, but it doesn't offend my religious sensibilities and he did a hell of a job with the imagery and storytelling, but I don't know this for sure, but I suspect his depiction of the Mayans/Aztecs/whoever the decadent human sacrificing natives were might be problematic, but apocalypto has little to do with this thread so i'll stop now.

Last Days in the Desert portrays a version of Jesus, sans miracles and divine revelation, where the Devil is personified as his id. The Devil criticizes Jesus, demoralizes him, and tries to nag Jesus into giving up his 40 day fast and pilgrimage. While this could have been the makings of a great Christian movie, Last Days just seems bare and lacks what we know about Jesus being the son of God.

I disagree about Passion of the Christ because it's my personal favorite Christian movie, but my favorite movie genre has always been horror films. Passion is brutal, hateful, and extremely violent. I really liked Mel's vision of the Jewish council, but do admit that the Devil was pretty campy the first time I watched Passion more than 10 years ago. Jim Caviezel was the best Jesus I've ever seen in film, and Maia Morgenstern as well as Monica Bellucci were an excellent supporting cast. The mother-son dynamic was done really well too.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 8, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DoctorG0nzo posted:

What would the rest of you think of this who saw it? Catholic film, or secular?

Both. Or neither, I suppose. The question you are putting forward is something of a false dichotomy because the catholic themes in Calvary - guilt (collective and individual), compassion, revenge, forgiveness, redemption - are themes that strongly concern secular thinkers as well. Father James' spiritual journey is important of course, but it also serves as an opportunity to portray a community slowly falling apart through resentment and self-doubt. If both religious and non-religious students can identify with the film, it's probably because we all see something of ourselves in at least one of the village's inhabitants.

I'm hesitant to reduce such a multi-faceted film to a simple statement, but Gleeson's line about integrity is what I consider the closest Calvary ever comes to a message. We all have to stand for something. Whether that something is of a religious nature or not is ultimately less important than that we try.

Incidentally, if you're interested in the child abuse cases involving the Catholic Church and the moral questions they pose, I strongly recommend the Chilean film The Club. It touches on a lot of the themes that are also present in Calvary.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Phone posting so excuse the brevity. I think the reason the spiritual students see it as a Catholic film is because it so obviously deals with many of the contemporary issues the Catholic Church is facing. First and foremost is the obvious child abuse plot but as the other poster mentioned the institutional inertia, apathetic priests, are all problems more pronounced in the RCC rather than your mainstream protestants. IMO Catholicism also puts more of an emphasis on embracing the more difficult aspects of life as a matter of faith (e.g., "it's your cross to bear", etc...) than other denominations.

To a non religious student or someone not as clear on the differences between Catholic and protestant beliefs the film might just come off as a broader critique of religion.

I'm an atheist by the way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Calvary is, I think, just as much about Ireland as it is about Catholicism in general. One example is the scene where a filthy rich Irish businessman, the sort who trashed the countries economy eventually leading Ireland to be hit hard by the recession, urinates on a priceless piece of art he payed a fortune for simply because he can. I talked to a Irishman about it once and he said that it really helps to have some knowledge and experience of Irish culture and society to fully understand the film.

But of course Catholicism is pretty deeply ingrained into all of Irish culture and society. The history of Ireland, at least for the last few centuries, is a history of Catholicism.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 9, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

coyo7e posted:

only because Jesus' love is invisible

While God's is so unconditional it has conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

hemophilia posted:

Well, the more "devote" push it anyways. I've seen lots of Christians rail against it just as much as anyone else because it really has no message or any meaning except "Everyone was evil and killed Jesus, see how awesome we are for believing in it". Religious stuff can be done well, I enjoyed the Bible series when the History channel showed it and I didn't get beat over the head with a book through the whole thing about how awesome this religion is.
I'd like to be able to enjoy Saints and Soldiers more, but the movie is so trite on the religion vs atheism thing it's hard to watch without rolling your eyes so much they hurt.
The thing is, Gibson didn't make a movie to be artsy or creative. He made a movie to showboat part of his religion

• Locked thread