Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mozi posted:

I think I've finally figured out how to keep the squirrels out of my garden...

Yeah, it's called .22LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAWjDNK1_Yw

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Mozi posted:

I think I've finally figured out how to keep the squirrels out of my garden...

Apparently someone my Dad worked with got tired of the deer munching on his vegetable garden and just shooting them wasn't an option for some reason. His solution was to throw a steel plate out under whatever the deer liked best and hook it up to his arc welder with the amperage cranked all the way up, then sit on his porch with a big knife switch drinking beer. Deer were harmed, veggies stayed safe, and venison is delicious. Not entirely OSHA, quite possibly bullshit, but I can't say I haven't been tempted to see if it works because doing fences that will actually keep deer out is expensive and a real pain in the rear end. Would also cut down on the number of car/deer interactions, which would be a positive for everyone since they're dumber than rocks and if they don't manage to get you by jumping out in front of your car they'll settle for just headbutting the side of it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The firefighter is taking little tiny baby steps, which makes me think his training stuck.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Volcott posted:

Yeah, it's called .22LR Subsonic.

... my neighbor is the Police Chief. They work really well on groundhogs at about 50 feet.

drzrma posted:

Apparently someone my Dad worked with got tired of the deer munching on his vegetable garden and just shooting them wasn't an option for some reason. His solution was to throw a steel plate out under whatever the deer liked best and hook it up to his arc welder with the amperage cranked all the way up, then sit on his porch with a big knife switch drinking beer. Deer were harmed, veggies stayed safe, and venison is delicious. Not entirely OSHA, quite possibly bullshit, but I can't say I haven't been tempted to see if it works because doing fences that will actually keep deer out is expensive and a real pain in the rear end. Would also cut down on the number of car/deer interactions, which would be a positive for everyone since they're dumber than rocks and if they don't manage to get you by jumping out in front of your car they'll settle for just headbutting the side of it.

15kv/30ma Neon Sign transformer works really well without killing them. It does shock the everliving gently caress out of them though. Once or twice, and they don't come back. I've seen it in action.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 8, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neutrino posted:

I'm guessing this is what OSHA inspectors watch on their day off?

"Pass me a ladder"

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

... my neighbor is the Police Chief. They work really well on groundhogs at about 50 feet.

15kv/30ma Neon Sign transformer works really well without killing them. It does shock the everliving gently caress out of them though. Once or twice, and they don't come back. I've seen it in action.

Go whole hog and build a stun-lethal fence system like they have at maximum-security prisons and military installations. First touch you get knocked on your rear end, touch it again and you get no pulsing or current-limiting.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Just ask him if it's cool if you snipe woodland creatures. Cops are known for being super chill.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Volcott posted:

Just ask him if it's cool if you snipe woodland creatures. Cops are known for being super chill.

I can't tell if you're sarcastic but yeah all the cops I know would probably be ok with it. Disclaimer: I'm a white piece of poo poo and so are they

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Volcott posted:

He's a pretty cool Police Chief, so, fundamentally, I don't think he would give two shits. Problem is, I live inside the village limits and there's that whole "discharge of firearms" thing, so I don't draw attention to it. I only pop about 2 or 3 a season, I'm lucky enough to be able to fire from an elevated position, and there're no houses downrange. The Subsonics are really low velocity, yet effective at reasonably close range, and really sound no louder than an air nailer when fired. Ok, I'll shut up with gun chat now.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Three-Phase posted:

Go whole hog and build a stun-lethal fence system like they have at maximum-security prisons and military installations. First touch you get knocked on your rear end, touch it again and you get no pulsing or current-limiting.

I'm sure Three-Phase can help me wire this up but I have an electric cow fence transformer that I would like to use for squirrel control. Obviously it is designed so that the cow with its feet firmly planted in the ground will complete the circuit but how can I set it up to shock/melt a squirrel running along a wooden fence?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Neutrino posted:

I'm sure Three-Phase can help me wire this up but I have an electric cow fence transformer that I would like to use for squirrel control. Obviously it is designed so that the cow with its feet firmly planted in the ground will complete the circuit but how can I set it up to shock/melt a squirrel running along a wooden fence?

My grandfather saw early bug zappers and built his own out of two circles of wire mesh. The bugs touched both bits of mesh at once and were incinerated, because he basically used regular 110 current and we were all told not to touch it under any circumstances. drat, now I wonder what happened to that thing, it was magnificent.

Was reminded of chlorine trifluoride in the spaceflight thread and saw this video on experimenting with fluorine in gaseous form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtWp45Eewtw They're being pretty safe, but fluorine all by itself is hella reactive.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
OSHA.jpg from a coworker:

Sorry for the crappy pic, had to take it fast before he killed himself finished testing the spotlight.

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 8, 2016

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

As I recall, the way the prison electric fences work is that they have a latent charge that stuns, but when the chain links touch together, it sets off the lethal current. Been a while since I heard it and I could be wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doctor Bombadil posted:

OSHA.jpg from a coworker:

Sorry for the crappy pic, had to take it fast before he killed himself finished testing the spotlight.

This is how it feels to plug in any mains device in America. :911:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Neutrino posted:

You need pairs of conductors roughly (0.2 to 0.5 * squirrel diameter) apart, i would imagine

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One ANSI squirrel diameter

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Jet Jaguar posted:

My grandfather saw early bug zappers and built his own out of two circles of wire mesh. The bugs touched both bits of mesh at once and were incinerated, because he basically used regular 110 current and we were all told not to touch it under any circumstances. drat, now I wonder what happened to that thing, it was magnificent.

My father in law had a "worm finder" he built out of a broomstick and an old electric cord. It was a cord he had cut about 15 feet from the plug, and connected each wire to a spike at the far end of the broomstick. Plug it in, stick the spikes in the ground, and watch worms come out of the ground - perfect for fishing. Just don't touch the end of that worm finder or let any of the 5 year old grandchildren find it and try to use it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Three-Phase posted:

And you discover too late that the squirrels around here are metric.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Three-Phase posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit v.666: Death comes to us all > OSHA: One ANSI squirrel diameter

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Volcott posted:

Yeah, it's called .22LR.

When I was a wee lad we had a single squirrel keep tearing up the lawn furniture padding to get the stuffing, I would guess for a nest or whatever squirrels do. So, what did we, as red blooded gun owning americans? Sat on a windowsill on the second floor of the house with a .22LR and killed that sucker dead. One shot got it as soon as it started walking away with its prize. We lived in the suburbs pretty close to chicago, our house is probably 75' to one neighbor and 40' to another, yeah I'm pretty sure they heard the crack of the rifle, but no cops came, so maybe they chalked it up to something else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PPE doing it's job to perfection there, IMO.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The best in-town squirrel defense is a .22 pellet rifle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tactlessbastard posted:

The best in-town squirrel defense is a .22 pellet rifle.

my .144 was still enough to knock 'em dead right out of a tree if you hit them in the right spot.
.22 pellets own though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bacon Taco posted:

My father in law had a "worm finder" he built out of a broomstick and an old electric cord. It was a cord he had cut about 15 feet from the plug, and connected each wire to a spike at the far end of the broomstick. Plug it in, stick the spikes in the ground, and watch worms come out of the ground - perfect for fishing. Just don't touch the end of that worm finder or let any of the 5 year old grandchildren find it and try to use it.

I had a co-worker try to get me to build one of these when I told him my two year old son liked finding worms :stare:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did it just plug in and go right to the ground, or did he have some kind of current-limiting ballast (like a lightbulb in series) with it?

Depending on the soil conditions and how deep you pound the stakes, you could get a lot of current to flow. (As long as you're not somewhere like a rocky desert or badlands.)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

my .144 was still enough to knock 'em dead right out of a tree if you hit them in the right spot.
.22 pellets own though.

.177, isn't it? But yeah, there's some fancy .22 airguns, some with power right up there with .22 regular guns.

Back when we were kids, my more redneck cousin and his friend would straight-up shoot each other with the cheap lovely BB guns we all had (which is basically what airsoft is, just without the "soft" part). One of said friends was almost blinded when he caught one in the eye socket, luckily it just missed his actual eyeball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrAwb9ptu9U

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A guy on a big airsoft forum liked to brag about playing private games with .177 BB guns instead of airsoft. I think he was an rear end in a top hat old redneck who liked to think it made him tougher if he played "extreme".

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I had never heard of a "worm finder", but the first page of google results has this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/10/us/recall-is-ordered-for-worm-probes.html

quote:

June 10, 1993
RECALL IS ORDERED FOR WORM PROBES

By PETER APPLEBOME,
ATLANTA, June 9— The Federal Government has announced the recall of an electronic device used by fishermen to shock worms to bring them to the surface of the ground for use as bait, saying similar devices had caused the deaths of more than 30 people since 1973.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission formally ordered the recall on June 1 of about 83,000 of the devices, which run an electric current through the ground and send out vibrations that shock worms. [Ed. Note- lol what???]

The agency said the worm probes, which are sold commercially and often made at home, can electrocute users who touch exposed metal or stand on wet soil while using them. Most of the deaths reported were those of children, the agency said.

No details were available on the individual victims or the circumstances of their deaths.

No deaths had been attributed to the specific products being recalled, the WG6-S and WG8-L Worm Getter probes, made by the now-defunct Handy Marketing Company of Grand Rapids, Mich.

Still, the fact that such devices were still being made and widely distributed after warnings and recalls that dated to 1976 had raised troubling questions about the ability of the safety commission to protect the public from dangerous products.

The recalled probes, which were widely distributed by retailers including the Kmart Corporation and Bass Pro Shops, used household electricity. Typically, they had a single energized metal rod that could be inserted into the soil and connected to an electrical outlet with extension cords.

Five of the retailers named in the recall, mainly sport and fishing gear companies, sold the devices mostly through catalogues. A sixth, Kmart, sold them in its stores. All have said they had stopped selling the probes and would refund customers' money. Political Pressure on Agency

Despite the humble intent and modest prices of the devices -- about $11 to $28 each -- worm probes have a long regulatory history. In June 1976, Terann Industries of Tustin, Calif., agreed to stop selling its Baitcatcher electric worm probes and recalled all 6,000 of those sold after the product safety commission said the devices were unsafe.

In 1988, the agency had tried to halt the sale of Worm Gett'rs, a probe made by P&M Enterprises of Caldwell, Idaho. Senators Steve Symms and James McClure, both Idaho Republicans, said the company was unfairly targeted and blocked Congressional financing of the agency until an administrative law judge upheld the agency's finding that the product was dangerous.

By then the company was bankrupt, and no recall could be ordered, but the agency issued an order banning the sale of the products and advising people not to use them.

Ken Giles, a spokesman for the product safety commission, said the agency had consistently tried to stop the sale of worm probes, but had never set standards for their use.

He said setting a standard for a product was a complicated legal process used selectively by the agency.

"We try to cover the products with the most deaths and injuries," he said. "A product with 30 deaths since 1973 is a concern, but it's not at the top of the list." A $3.7 Billion Business

He said that it might be possible to make a safe worm probe, if for instance it was built with a device that would shut down the current if necessary, but that the agency had never seen any built with such a feature.

The probes are a tiny part of the recent growth in fishing gear, paraphernalia like high-tech lures that have made recreational fishing equipment, not including boats, a $3.7 billion business that serves 62 million Americans. Still, the probes are relatively rare.

"There are so many retail outlets selling worms for $1.79 or $1.99 a can, people don't usually dig their own," said Greg Hammond, the owner of Anglers Pro Shop in Mauldin, S.C.

Officials said they hoped the publicity surrounding the recall would curtail use of the probes. Many retailers said they had chosen not to stock them.

"A lot of places kind of frown on them," said Eunice Evers of Paul's Bait and Tackle in St. Louis. "We don't carry them. They just don't look safe."

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Slanderer posted:

I had never heard of a "worm finder", but the first page of google results has this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/10/us/recall-is-ordered-for-worm-probes.html

Our favorite Russian backyard mad scientist has a helpful video on catching worms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfINQB6n0Is

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder what voltage/frequency is actually required to drive worms out of the ground effectively.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Gonna need some ANSI worms first.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I would probably not troubleshoot this panel the way he's doing it. (Live 240V) :stare:

http://youtu.be/OqaIVSkTFEM

BONUS VIDEO:
http://youtu.be/cgQ8CPkx9bM
"The fire's happening again!"

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 9, 2016

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Three-Phase posted:

I would probably not troubleshoot this panel the way he's doing it. (Live 240V) :stare:

http://youtu.be/OqaIVSkTFEM

BONUS VIDEO:
http://youtu.be/cgQ8CPkx9bM
"The fire's happening again!"

He's really laid back about that electrical fire. Probably the third one he's seen this week?

Also I think that looks really similar to what I have lurking in my basement now. Um.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/x5ZDVTw.mp4

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
What the gently caress was he even trying to do? I had a gun safety course once, twenty years ago, haven't touched a firearm since, and even I know better than that!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He's lowering the hammer. You have to pull the trigger on most guns to do it. It slipped and fired the round under it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guyver posted:

He's lowering the hammer. You have to pull the trigger on most guns to do it. It slipped and fired the round under it.

Protip: Don’t have a round in the chamber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't do it while pointing the gun at yourself?