Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

If I wan't so lazy I'd go back to every article that bitched about killing Krypto and be like "NYAH NYAH NYAH."

It's Brian Griffin all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

The scene where Kara mourned "her" actual cousin at the Fortress of Solitude made me sad, though. So much of the Nu52 had been thankfully brushed aside that I'd almost forgotten that, for all intents and purposes, the Superman who died is the one that everyone had thought of as their Superman, their Clark Kent, their Kal-El. Except...maybe he wasn't? It's just curious to see all these pre-Flashpoint relationships and history slowly coming back bit by bit, and yet every character still feels so estranged from the actual pre-Flashpoint Superman. Except...maybe he isn't? It's one of the most intriguing long-running Rebirth mysteries that I'm invested in at the moment.

I really, really, really don't care about literally any of this. Superbro was, overall, a poor Superman and I need less reminders or mourning of a lovely comics initiative that DC has straight-up metatextually admitted was lovely, especially since by dwelling on the loss it opens up avenues for the characters to be reintroduced and to subsequently re-dominate storytelling focus.

I also don't really want focus on pre-Flashpoint relationship stuff because it's a problem of DC's own devising with no adequate solution. Like, technically speaking, every single Batman story pre-Flashpoint happened (and canonically speaking, this was true even before Rebirth came a'calling) unless they involved Stephanie Brown or Cassandra Cain, and Tim Drake's in the weird limbo where his stories "happened" but he was never technically Robin.

There's no possible loving way DC will be able to satisfactorily explain what the loving gently caress happened in any detail beyond the very awkward but sufficiently vague "Dr. Manhattan stole ten years from us, that's where all the Stuff Happened. Except I guess the Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain poo poo which never did I guess, whatever." And that's one corner of one segment of the overal DC canon, not even the most complicated poo poo like everything dealing with post-Crisis, pre-Flashpoint Superman, any Green Lantern poo poo, or loving Donna Troy. They made their canon into loving spaghetti, threw it all out with Flashpoint, made it even more complicated then it previously was in the N52, then scraped the garbage pasta out of the dumpster and placed it back in Rebirth. If they start trying to untangle noodles it will be ruinous to the current, very good place the Big Three currently are in. I mean, Action Comics is a mess of idiotic canon bullshit and I quit it because it was so dull and so loving convoluted.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Geez.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

Honestly, what books other than RHATO did you like from New52? Better yet, were any of them written by someone who isn't Scott Lobdell?

Off the top of my mind:

Superman
Action Comics
Azzarelo' Wonder Woman
Soule's Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns
Constantine
JLD
Manapul's Flash
Nightwing
Suicide Squad
Johns' GL
New Guardians
The first two Arcs of Snyder's Batman
His Talon issues were also pretty good
Teen Titans

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, I really enjoy Titans and you can already feel the strain of the writing trying to make Wally's whole deal attempt to be congruous to current canon, which is probably why they punted on the whole issue by introducing Wally starting to forget his pre-Flashpoint memories besides the very broad strokes ("I married Linda! Dick's my best friend and he was my best man! etc"). The current concept of the DCU "canon" is a house of loving cards due to the sheer number of continuity wipes and realignments they've done just within the last ten years, and their continued insistence to attempt to straighten it out has produced, by and large, their worst comics: Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint, Convergence, and so on.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I had no idea Beast Boy originated in the Doom Patrol till today. I think Way's said he's working with everything, so hopefully there's a cute flashback or reference, if N52 Beast Boy hasn't acknowledged it already.

You missed a pretty fun episode of the Teen Titans cartoon. Granted, if you missed any episode, you missed a fun episode.

WickedHate posted:

It's Brian Griffin all over again.

To this day I still don't understand that. Maybe because I'm not an avid Family Guy watcher. Characters in that show take fatal injuries literally all the time. They come back in the next scene unharmed. It's part of the gags. Why would you ever buy that they killed off a character for real? Even if they wanted to pretend for a few episodes, was there ever a chance that he legit died? How can you even feel anything if it did stick?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Beast Boy originally being a survivor from a team that mostly bit it was one of the best parts about the pre-flashpoint version.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, I really enjoy Titans and you can already feel the strain of the writing trying to make Wally's whole deal attempt to be congruous to current canon, which is probably why they punted on the whole issue by introducing Wally starting to forget his pre-Flashpoint memories besides the very broad strokes ("I married Linda! Dick's my best friend and he was my best man! etc"). The current concept of the DCU "canon" is a house of loving cards due to the sheer number of continuity wipes and realignments they've done just within the last ten years, and their continued insistence to attempt to straighten it out has produced, by and large, their worst comics: Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint, Convergence, and so on.
Effort response: Of course there's going to be inconsistencies and continuity issues and not everything's going to make historical sense in this universe, but that's always been the case. Long before Infinite Crisis was a blip in Johns' head, DC continuity was an unsolvable puzzle and everyone just rolled with it. Continuity is never the real problem. Doing interesting things with continuity, metatextually or otherwise, is.

(I mean, even then, they already gave a perfectly serviceable in-universe "excuse" for any of the inconsistencies and paradoxes by saying Dr. Manhattan stole those ten years of relationships and stories but you don't like that sooo)

Rebirth is not going to be the same universe as pre-Flashpoint and it frankly shouldn't be; the state of the DC Universe right before Flashpoint was a unrivaled mess, not in terms of continuity but in terms of they've just hosed up so many characters and teams beyond repair. By no means should the goal of Rebirth be to make sure that everything somehow fits back into the same exact distinct pieces as the DCU was before Flashpoint. What it should be doing is making sure things are engaging and enticing going forward, using all the tools and history at its disposal.

I find the current state of Superman incredibly interesting. Right from the end of Convergence I'd been wondering just what the heck their game plan was for having two different Supermans, one from the universe that the current one displaced, and yet they've managed to find a way to make it work in like the most headscratchingly eccentric way possible. And they shouldn't shy from how eccentric it is. Embrace the weirdness and the questions, especially if the alternative is that everyone just shrugs and accepts that he's their Clark now. That would be unrealistic and jarring.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think the Pre-Flashpoint mess was unrivaled seeing as how what came after managed to top it in messiness.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Rebirth has been the right decision for DC so far, and it seems to be paying off for them so far.

I went into this thinking that I'll just be happy if Teen Titans finally manages to be at least as good as Johns' run, but I've been pretty pleased with most of the books I've read under the Rebirth label.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't disagree, the problem with DC's approach isn't that their canon is a stupid mess of total nonsense, it's that their canon is a stupid mess of total nonsense that they then, repeatedly, attempt to justify or explain, and in so doing only make it worse. Or, worse, pretend it's super simple and clear so that's how we get a situation where N52 Batman is a totally new canon that rewrote his own origin story from their most popular and well-known comic ever and possibly of all time...but then backpedaled immediately by trying to fit everything else that happened (unless it involved Steph or Cass in literally any way except for Batman, Incorporated, which was all canon except for the Black Bat stuff which wasn't) pre-Flashpoint in that five year gap between Zero Year and the beginning of the N52, so we get three Robins and Knightfall and No Man's Land and the entirety of Morrison's Batman opus and two Batwomen and TKJ and Oracle Babs and her rehab to the point where she's pulling on the cowl at the beginning of N52. Post-Flashpoint Batman, despite all of DC's much-ballyhooed claims that it's the perfect entry point for new readers, betrays how fundamentally idiotic an assertion that actually is, when you only have to look at Batman, Inc volume 2.

I just don't care about DC's overall canon, and their dogged insistence to explain or make it all make sense is one of the things I most dislike about their creative direction. It's, again, why I quit Action Comics after Rebirth - it shone a spotlight on how utterly insane the current status of Superman's post-Flashpoint canon is on top of being a flat, boring overly expositional punchfest. Which, by and large, accurately sums up every single previous attempt DC's made within at least the past decade if not longer when it comes to resolving their own internal history - boring, overly expositional punchfests too self-serious for their own good that highlight how actually loving stupid it all is.

I honestly think the one time DC's had a really clever, elegant solution to addressing continuity was Hypertime, which - surprise, surprise - was quickly rendered non-canon. I just fundamentally distrust and do not believe DC can or, for the forseeable future if the same creatives that gave us IC and Flashpoint and Convergence remain in charge, ever create good stories out of addressing or utilizing overall continuity. They've shown, repeatedly, that they are incredibly bad at making the overall canon of their universe make even the slightest modicum of sense, and I'd much rather read about Superdad or Batman with Gotham Girl or Wonder Woman metatextually recognizing that her entire past is a ball of stupid nonsense and just rolling with it over yet more justifications or explaining.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If anything, with Geoff Johns not writing every major event now, maybe the next one will be something fresh as far as event comics go?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

If anything, with Geoff Johns not writing every major event now, maybe the next one will be something fresh as far as event comics go?

Does Johns have a protege?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I don't think the Pre-Flashpoint mess was unrivaled seeing as how what came after managed to top it in messiness.
I don't know that I'll swear to this in a court of law but off the top of my head I'd suggest that nothing in the N52 was as bad or did as much damage to every mythos it touched as Cry for Justice did.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like, let's rewind the clock to pre-CoIE, right. Here's the current status of the DC multiverse: There's the "main guys" universe, there's the universe of dudes who are older than the main guys because they age "normally", there's the universe of the evil versions of the main guys, and there's our universe. That, by and large, covers pretty much everyone - sure there's some outliers and exceptions, and Donna Troy's already a gigantic mess history-wise, and Hawkman's even worse, but by and large that covers virtually everyone anyone would realistically care about in the DCU.

DC considered that convoluted enough to blow everything up and start over. Now compare that, directly, to what the post-Flashpoint Batman canon is - one corner of an admittedly significant portion of their comics line - and it throws into high relief how needlessly obtuse and complicated everything is, and how it's only needlessly obtuse and complicated because DC simultaneously tries to fix it while highlighting how silly it is via storyline focus.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dick, calm down, you're creeping me out man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Does Johns have a protege?

Young up and comer Scotty Lobdell.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Great page from this week's Superman.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Great page from this week's Superman.

So it's a great shot but the colorist messing up and coloring in a cloud blue so it looks like half of Africa blew up is kinda ruining it for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't presume to know the status of Africa in the DCU.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Don't presume to know the status of Africa in the DCU.

Well I really only started reading DC with rebirth they uh didn't blow up half of Africa did they?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone stole 10 years and Africa.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roth posted:

To be fair, the tie-ins for Convergence were rad as all hell.

You and I must have been reading very different tie-ins. Other than Rucka's Question, that was magnificent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
remember how convergence batgirl gave fans of that book exactly what they wanted

stephanie brown in a desert being angsty about her ex-boyfriend

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure how they managed to get a third really great artist to rotate on Green Arrow but it's really making me happy because the story is really good too. I thought I'd miss Otto Schmidt and then Juan Ferreyra was just as good and then I saw Stephen Byrne credited for today's issue and being unfamiliar with his work I was bummed but then hit the first page and immediately really liked it too. I wonder how Green Arrow gets so lucky when some other books can't even get one good artist.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

X-O posted:

I'm not sure how they managed to get a third really great artist to rotate on Green Arrow but it's really making me happy because the story is really good too. I thought I'd miss Otto Schmidt and then Juan Ferreyra was just as good and then I saw Stephen Byrne credited for today's issue and being unfamiliar with his work I was bummed but then hit the first page and immediately really liked it too. I wonder how Green Arrow gets so lucky when some other books can't even get one good artist.

Maybe Ben Percy is just that charming.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yvonmukluk posted:

You and I must have been reading very different tie-ins. Other than Rucka's Question, that was magnificent.

Hey now, Shazam was also uncannily good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Let's not forget Convergence: The Atom.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Supergirl is getting an American Alien type out of continuity origin miniseries written by Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer) art by Joelle Jones (Lady Killer)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/supergirl-being-super-comic-book-926438

quote:

Being Super will skew away from what people expect from a superhero origin story, with Tamaki citing some surprising influences on her work in the series. "I come from a very John Hughes place, because I'm very old and that's my starting point for starting to talk about adolescence," she jokes, adding, "There's something about taking a weekend in someone's life and just focusing on what happens in that time. Although, obviously, if you're writing about superheroes, then about 10 times more things can happen than would if you're a regular kid living in Toronto, Canada."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Awesome, I've been waiting for a comic to be influenced by Home Alone 3 and Flubber.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Supergirl is getting an American Alien type out of continuity origin miniseries written by Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer) art by Joelle Jones (Lady Killer)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/supergirl-being-super-comic-book-926438

As a fan of This One Summer (seriously, check it out) this is awesome news.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Let's not forget Convergence: The Atom.

Huh. I didn't know Donald Trump was Deathstroke.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really like the art, so I'll probably give Supergirl: Being Super a try.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

I really like the art, so I'll probably give Supergirl: Being Super a try.

It's really good. Something has obviously happened that makes all the Super books good. Not sure what it is but it's working.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Movie Superman being horrendously terrible absorbed all the badness and Superman being a sad rear end in a top hat from the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Joelle Jones is sooooooo good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I trade-wait on Superman through my library but I will throw money at all the good Supergirl books. :allears:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

It's really good. Something has obviously happened that makes all the Super books good. Not sure what it is but it's working.
They moved two good writers from the Batman offices onto Superman and Supergirl.

poo poo I wouldn't be surprised if Tomasi is editing his own book given his experience, but they just credit that one douchebag as the head editor.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Comixology is adding The Wild Dog series to prove there is a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SonicRulez posted:

You missed a pretty fun episode of the Teen Titans cartoon. Granted, if you missed any episode, you missed a fun episode.
Really good episode of Brave and the Bold, too. Sad ending though.

But I think that's a version without Gar.