Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Would've been an Anne of Cleves situation anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

:allears: He wanted to drink some GODDAMN TEA with Cid...

But yeah, Garland is a curveball, to be sure, yet he is completely underwhelming in the face of everything else. The fact we know nothing about him at this point, that he appears from nowhere and the only one to really react to his presence is Kuja (which, enemy of my enemy, uncertain motives until Alexander just gets obliterated by a flying eyeball) and doesn't really have any prominence at all in the scheme of things until now (which, by disc 3, you figure you have a lot of the main players already made somewhat known) all probably contributes to marking his appearance as the equivalent of a stone tossed in the water: Makes some wide-reaching ripples, but has about the same emotional impact on the viewers.

That said, that the game is still introducing characters this late in just stands testament to how much development went into the world and story. It's actually impressive.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Alexander Eidolon
My name is Alexander Eidolon
And there’s a million things I haven’t done
But just you wait, just you wait...

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
You know, I have owned this game since its release on the PlayStation, and I've never made it past the prison sequence at the start of disc 2. So I legitimately have no drat clue what's going to happen and have had no clue since Steiner broke out of his cell.

Right now, I just find myself wondering how the damnity-drat hell I've managed to avoid spoilers for sixteen fuckin' years, because Garland showing up seems like something I ought to have heard people talking about some time in the last decade.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

You know, I have owned this game since its release on the PlayStation, and I've never made it past the prison sequence at the start of disc 2. So I legitimately have no drat clue what's going to happen and have had no clue since Steiner broke out of his cell.

Right now, I just find myself wondering how the damnity-drat hell I've managed to avoid spoilers for sixteen fuckin' years, because Garland showing up seems like something I ought to have heard people talking about some time in the last decade.

I dunno. I don't really spend a lot of time talking to others about or listening to others talk about video game plotlines. unless you're following the FF megathread or something, I don't know where you were expecting it to come up.

I was always struck by the whiplash of this section. First Brahne dies and Garnet ascends to the throne. Then, it looks like Alexandria is in for some tough times maybe but is mostly okay. Then Kuja shows up to draw out Alexander, and the entire town ends up pretty much destroyed. It's a goddamn roller coaster.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

I dunno. I don't really spend a lot of time talking to others about or listening to others talk about video game plotlines. unless you're following the FF megathread or something, I don't know where you were expecting it to come up.

Mostly the fact I've spent the last sixteen years hanging around on videogame message boards and chat rooms, and I've got numerous friends who are big Final Fantasy fans. I know a woman who wrote slash fics about Kuja and Sephiroth for Christ's sake.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fedule posted:

That's not quite it. What Kuja didn't expect or consider possible was that Garland would take any notice of what was happening in Gaia. Garland didn't do any particular unexpected thing that Kuja wasn't prepared for, but by showing up at all he completely scuppered Kuja's plans, because said plans hinged entirely on remaining undetected. I guess Garland just wanted to show off by appearing at a key moment because that's just how he rolls.

Well, Kuja's ultimate plan was to acquire Alexander, presumably so he could use it against his master.

But his master just showed that the big eyeball > Alexander so Kuja's plan was invalidated before it even began. I think there's a fancy Latin legal term for this maybe but hell if I know what it is.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

slash fics about Kuja and Sephiroth

:gonk:

I know that's tame compared to what people do with this series, but how does that even work out?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

morallyobjected posted:

:gonk:

I know that's tame compared to what people do with this series, but how does that even work out?

Dissidia, I guess. :shrug:

There's also Zidane's throwaway line about knowing a guy with a huge sword (reference to Cloud) and Final Fantasy IX's world being called Gaia, same as VII's.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's also Zidane's throwaway line about knowing a guy with a huge sword (reference to Cloud) and Final Fantasy IX's world being called Gaia, same as VII's.

I keep forgetting that FFVII-World had an actual name instead of just The Planet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh it was happening long, long before Dissidia. See, when I first beat FFVII and FFIX well over a decade ago, I was the biggest fanboy for them. I got online and in the course of ranting and raving about how great they were and looking up fansites, I discovered this thing called "fanfiction." It was the miracle of miracles to my young brain. I loved FFVII/FFIX so much so that, what could possibly be bad about more of it?

So it happens one of the first fanfics I ever came across was a Sephiroth/Kuja yaoi fic. I remember absolutely nothing about it, just that I found it. This was before even Advent Children, let alone Dissidia.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
To be fair, Gaia's a pretty generic name for a planet.

Like it's an obvious callback but it's not like it was some super unique name to begin with.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think people tend to not talk about the last third or so of FF9's plot because it's just not as good as the beginning. You can gush for ages about how adorable Vivi is and how Garnet is a strong character and how all those scenes up until now really hit the heart, and you are perfectly correct, but I personally think that everything involving Garland loses a lot of what makes this game's opening (and middle part) so great, and while there are still memorable scenes, we will soon have passed the zenith. Signs are already there with Freya's obsolesence for the plot and anything Amarant.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
People undoubtedly wrote erotic fanfics hundreds of years ago already, it's an inseparable part of human nature.

KieranWalker posted:

Mostly the fact I've spent the last sixteen years hanging around on videogame message boards and chat rooms, and I've got numerous friends who are big Final Fantasy fans. I know a woman who wrote slash fics about Kuja and Sephiroth for Christ's sake.

That's because nobody talks about Final Fantasy IX, even II and III come up more often.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, Kuja's ultimate plan was to acquire Alexander, presumably so he could use it against his master.

But his master just showed that the big eyeball > Alexander so Kuja's plan was invalidated before it even began. I think there's a fancy Latin legal term for this maybe but hell if I know what it is.

Kuja called out for 'Invincible' (the big eye ship) to control Alexander. Instead, Garland was inside the Invincible, and destroyed Big Al instead.

Perhaps Kuja's plan involved owning both the Invincible and Alexander, since Garland was probably not meant to be in that ship at the time.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bewilderment posted:

Kuja called out for 'Invincible' (the big eye ship) to control Alexander. Instead, Garland was inside the Invincible, and destroyed Big Al instead.

Perhaps Kuja's plan involved owning both the Invincible and Alexander, since Garland was probably not meant to be in that ship at the time.

Yeah, it always felt like Invincible/eyeball was Kuja's Super Secret Super Weapon he kept in his sleeve all the time until juuuust the right times to get what he wanted/needed. Bahamut, Alexander, a nice view of the Treno sunset...

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I guess when it came to Alexandria, Garland knocked you all down.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kanfy posted:

People undoubtedly wrote erotic fanfics hundreds of years ago already, it's an inseparable part of human nature.

Most religions probably started as erotic fanfic if you think of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Good. We've started building airship No. 3. It's going well, too <gwok>. Many engineers from the Industrial District have volunteered.

They have faith in you, Regent. That is why they can be strong. They are proud to be citizens of Lindblum.

We have completely switched gears and are back in Lindblum. It's been awhile!

Baku?

I'm tired from working day and night on a new airship... Hey, why don't you come by the research center and give us a hand sometime?

You talkin' to both of us?
Heh, heh, heh. I'm just kidding. We already have enough people <gwok> working on it.
Oh... Do you know how Zidane's doing?
He's fine. In fact, he's probably awake now.
Blank, go to the castle and see how he's doing.

-----

...How did I get here?

Zidane's apparently alive after all. Go figure.

Egoist's Armlet nullifies shadow damage and teaches Level Up and Beast Killer.

More Mognet stuff.

As we try to leave, Blank catches Zidane.

Okay, I guess...

Zidane may be curious about how he got there but we all know what's gonna be the foremost thought on his mind right now.

No, I haven't seen her. Maybe she's upstairs by the telescope.

We're in control of Zidane now, which means time for a QTE!

Yeah... Whatever it is, I think it's dead.

!!! C-Captain! I-I'm sorry, sir, but we found this weird thing by the shore.
Step aside. I used to be a sea-dog, so I know a thing or two about these things.

...It's dead.

I'll be damned. They got their butts movin' in a hurry.

...Where is this?

So Quina apparently cheated death again. Auto-Life is a hell of a thing, I guess.

Most of the soldiers don't have anything interesting to say, just telling you where everything is and stuff like that.

There are a few highlights, though.

A couple items to loot down here, including another Chimera Armlet.

Alright, let's check in on Dagger.

But as you can see, I'm alright now.

Dagger... Is something wrong?

Ohhh, okay. You're so happy to see me, you don't know what to say.

Dagger's being unusually quiet, you may notice.

(...Maybe she's just tired. A lot has happened since Brahne's death...I'd better cheer her up.)

It'll be fun. Come on!

(Maybe I should leave her alone.)

Sorry to bother you. I'll see you later.

(Thank you.)

So that didn't really go as expected.

I forgot to tell him to go to Cid's room. He's probably still upstairs, yappin' away.

The ATE pretty much sets up Zidane meeting Blank once he stops annoying Dagger.

What, are you following me or something?
Hey, I don't have time to play around, like you. I forgot to tell you something earlier.
Yeah, what?
Sheez... What's with you? Ohhh... You had a fight with her, huh?

Heh-heh-heh. Take it easy. Cid said he wants to talk to you.
I know.
How...!? Man... I've been waiting here for nothing.

I love it when Zidane and Blank have a conversation. They're always ribbing on each other.

Cid is upstairs but let's check out the conference room first.

How are you feeling?
Okay, I guess.
Zidane, Regent Cid wishes to see you. Go to the royal chamber.
Oh. Okay. See you all later.

Happy to see you too, Rusty.

If we re-enter, we can talk to everyone.

This suit of armor is impeccable. I wish I could try it on.

This castle has so many neat things.

Did you talk to Cid yet?

I'm getting bored.

I thought you were dead... Shucks...

Amarant's is clearly the best.

Alright, enough screwing around. Let's chat with Cid finally.

I heard you wanted to see me. What's up?
After reviewing the attack on Alexandria, we've discovered some interesting facts...facts, I think, you all should know <gwok>.
The others are waiting in the conference room. We can begin the meeting at any time.
Alright, let's begin.

-----

Is that everyone?
We are still missing the princess.
...She's probably upstairs, by the telescope.
I'll go get her.

...Oh well.
Let's begin.

While they catch up on stuff we've already seen, let's check in with Dagger and see how she's faring.

(Alexandria is gone... I still can't believe it... So many people were killed. The survivors are homeless and destitute. How could this have happened...?)

(No. It's not her fault.)

(I got everyone involved in this: Zidane, Vivi, Steiner...everyone... Had I stayed with Mother, maybe I could've stopped her.)

(I shouldn't have assumed the throne... I thought I could make amends, but...I've only brought misery to everyone.)

I mean, the people around her figured Dagger to be in poor spirits, but they probably don't realize to the extent that everything that happened has affected her. She was powerless to stop her mother and still blames herself for leaving Alexandria in the first place and getting her friends involved in this conflict. She watched helplessly as Burmecia, Cleyra, and Lindblum were destroyed (the last one right before her very eyes) using her very own eidolons. She wasn't able to save her mother from Kuja. And the kingdom she led quickly fell despite her best efforts.

The worst part is that she believes all of this is her fault, and hers alone. If only she could've talked Brahne out of it, if only she could protect Brahne and Alexandria, if only she stayed home in the first place. When you place yourself responsible for such tragedies, that would tear apart even the most steel-hearted of people, let alone a teenage girl. It's honestly surprising she hasn't had a complete mental breakdown by now over the weight of everything that's happened.

That said, at least externally there's something very noticeably wrong with her, something you've very likely picked up on by now.

-----

<Gwok> ...I can imagine.
Her Highness is probably beyond despair.
I have never witnessed such tragedy. There was nothing we could do. We fought with everything we had, but to no avail. Beatrix and I were prepared to give our lives.

Beatrix is currently M.I.A. as well.

But I believe it will take much longer for our people to overcome their losses. Those who survived have a long, tough road ahead of them.

Kuja has vanquished all four nations. What is he trying to accomplish?
Who knows!? Let's just go get him!

Kuja's powers are beyond ours. How do you plan to fight him?
Kuja is a man of many mysteries, indeed. I still can't believe what I saw when we were evacuating from Alexandria.
What!? What did you see?
I saw him escape on my stolen airship, Hilda Garde 1 <gwok>. There were black mages onboard, too.

No way... Are you sure about this?
There's no doubt.

The peaceful mages from the Black Mage Village have apparently joined Kuja for some reason. Vivi can't imagine why they'd join such an evil man, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, time for another ATE.

For a second, I thought I was...

What can that old fool do to me!? He can't kill me! Nothing can! ...Besides, he's too late. The wheels are already in motion.

So, surprise, Kuja survived. Things didn't go to plan, but he's not giving up whatever nefarious plan he's up to.

And look who joined up with him?

What happened?
Terrible injuries, you have suffered.

...If I can't have Alexander, so be it. I'll find another eidolon soon enough.

I am Mr. 234.
Shut up! I didn't ask for your number! Are the preparations complete?
Yes.
It's about time.

Seriously, both Kuja and Garland know who Zidane is, though he has no memories of his past beyond a blue light and certainly doesn't seem like he remembers Kuja.

Of course, it'll be awhile before we get into that.

-----

Sad story, isn't it? My lecherous character has led to my undoing.
But how did Kuja get a hold of Lady Hilda's airship?
<Gwok!> That's what I'd like to know. He probably commandeered it to further his mad schemes, whatever they may be. In any case, I must get Hilda and her airship back somehow <gwok>!
What a shame, for a ruler to end up like this... But we can't ignore this situation. Kuja must be stopped!
Indeed! We must deal with him before it is too late!
It's easier said than done. We don't know where he is. We don't even have an airship to look for him.
He's right. No. 2 is still <gwok> out of commission. And I doubt I can oversee the construction of a new airship in my current form.

Artania, is there anything that can be done?
I have spoken to Doctor Tot regarding this matter and asked him to join us. He should be here any minute.
That's wonderful! I'm certain Doctor Tot will be most helpful!

Please forgive me for calling you on such short notice, Doctor. Thank you very much for giving up your precious time to come here.
Please, Minister. You need not be so formal.

Yes, we're experiencing Minister Artania and Doctor Tot having a conversation. I knew you all dared to hope this moment would come, and it is indeed a glorious one.

Hmm? Where is the princess? Eiko is missing, too.

Don't worry, Doc. They're alright. Eiko's out looking for Dagger right now.
Oh, I see. Well, that's a relief.

Geez, what's up?
Ho-ho-ho. I see you are as energetic as ever.
It's Dagger. She's...
What!? What's wrong!?

Just come with me! She's in the guest room.

Come on, Doc!
I'm coming, too!
Let's postpone this meeting.
I agree, sire... We will resume this meeting later.

-----

She's sitting on her bed.

Doctor, isn't there anything you can do?
What tragedy... The princess has indeed lost her voice.

She has suffered so much pain.
P-Princess...
Dagger...
So that's it!? There's no hope!?
...I believe this is only temporary. But it may be months, even years, before she can speak again...

So, all we can do is wait.
I'm afraid so... This is no ordinary illness. We must keep her heart at peace. That is all I can think of.

Maybe we could just cast Haste on her over and over until she gets cured that way?

Yeah, bad idea, sorry.

But yeah, Dagger didn't go through all that above trauma unscathed. She's now mute, effectively shutting herself off from the world due to her guilt, so overcome she doesn't want to deal with any of this poo poo anymore. This is what happens when someone endures circumstances so continuously horrible that it breaks their very mind and causes them to completely shut down.

I really wish more games would go into the psychological trauma war can bring, though I'm sure there are some good examples already.

...Eiko, can you look after her for a while?
...Sure. What are you gonna do?

Doc, I need an airship to find Kuja. Tell me how to turn Cid back into a human! That's the only way!
Now, now. Calm down... Let's go see the regent.

Next time, we'll look into turning Cid back to normal and also catch up on what's going on in Lindblum since our last trip. Hopefully things will be more cheerful than this update!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 12, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, asking how you got there has Blank point out that Zidane has been unconscious for about a week.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I did like the fact of when we see Kuja in that qte, if you look closely, you can see that a lot of his outfit is stained and smoke is coming off him.
And now comes a chance to get a party the way you want it to be.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So a bunch of artificially created people with a limited life span are following a psychopath on his trail of destruction. Where have I heard this before?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Fister Roboto posted:

So a bunch of artificially created people with a limited life span are following a psychopath on his trail of destruction. Where have I heard this before?

Roy was a much better dude.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I've heard no mention of Ketracel White

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fister Roboto posted:

So this Kuja is just a copy leading us to the real Kuja?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Oh boy, the most best and exciting gameplay effect is about to take place.

Why couldn't Dagger just turn to alcoholism like a normal person.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, asking how you got there has Blank point out that Zidane has been unconscious for about a week.

Does it mention any reason why? If the giant laser had gotten him there's definitely be more damage than that and it presumably would have affected Eiko and Garnet too.

Mega64 posted:

Things didn't go to plan, but he's nothing giving up whatever nefarious plan he's up to.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
He just came from a mandatory Tetra Master tournament, I'd want to sleep for a week too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LEGO Genetics posted:

: "Gimme a Her ♥ Majesty."
: "Queen or no queen , no one under 21 gets the hard stuff.
: "I can't even get the drink named after me? Everything is wrong."

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

: "Gimme a Her ♥ Majesty."
: "Queen or no queen , no one under 21 gets the hard stuff.
: "I can't even get the drink named after me? Everything is wrong."

I'm pretty sure Zidane was getting tanked in that bar at the start of the disc and I think he's the same age as Dagger.

*checks*

Yep, 16. Either the legal drinking age is lower in Alexandria or Zidane stole that booze.

Man, Steal Beer would be a really useful skill over in Ivalice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm still wondering how Tot manages to say "!!!?".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bufuman posted:

I'm pretty sure Zidane was getting tanked in that bar at the start of the disc and I think he's the same age as Dagger.

Logical explanation: He was just moping but not drinking.

Fun explanation:

: "I just look 16 because I haven't grown any since. Level 1 run, you know."
: "I guess that checks out. They say drinking a Her ♥ Majesty is an experience you-"
*has fled into the wilderness*

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

: "I just look 16 because I haven't grown any since. Level 1 run, you know."
: "I guess that checks out. They say drinking a Her ♥ Majesty is an experience you-"
*has fled into the wilderness*

All of your suffering has been worth it because it lead to this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm still wondering how Tot manages to say "!!!?".

if Tim Allen can do it, so can Doctor Tot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A nice detail: if you look closely at Kuja, his robes are hosed up, after face-tanking Megaflare led to only a bit of blood. Retroactively sells Alexander really well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

:yeah:

Zagglezig posted:

Does it mention any reason why? If the giant laser had gotten him there's definitely be more damage than that and it presumably would have affected Eiko and Garnet too.

I was wrong on the amount of time that had passed, but here's the exchange.

Zidane: "So what happened after that? How did I get here?"

Blank: "Slow down. Geez... Things were so chaotic; it took forever to find you guys. No one really got hurt except you. I heard you pulled some crazy stunt."

Zidane: "Yeah... Eiko and Dagger were in trouble, so..."

Blank: "Always showing off. You got hurt pretty bad because of that. After we found you guys, we stole a ship by the port and escaped."

Zidane: "Wow. I don't remember any of that."

Blank: "I didn't think so. You know, you slept three days straight..."

Zidane: "Really!?"

Blank: "By the way, Cid said he wanted to talk to you in the royal chamber."

Zidane: "Oh. Okay. I wonder what he wants..."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Makes you wonder how it took that long for anyone to notice Dagger's a mute, but eh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

Makes you wonder how it took that long for anyone to notice Dagger's a mute, but eh.

Depends how long Dagger herself was out.

Dagger: (...this chicken needs more salt, but I can't tell anyone to pass me some.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
They really missed an opportunity by not giving Quina ultra high defensive stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

They really missed an opportunity by not giving Quina ultra high defensive stats.

Clearly, Quina is wearing some sort of gear that resists water.

(Unfortunately, there's no gear that Quina can get at this point that nulls or absorbs water, so my joke falls flat here :eng99:)

• Locked thread