Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I think the main thing weirding me out about the Friday the 13th game is like, some of these kills are pretty bad (Good-bad) when they're not showing you the details up in your face, stomp holding the struggling person in the fireplace and ones like that, but then he's squeezing heads and grinding them into brick walls with all these crunchy croaky sounds leading up to a wet smash... and then their head is still fully intact if just blood-splattered. I'm not super into horrifying gore just to have it usually, but if we're doing Jason slaughtering people then I dunno, it feels so weak to see those not actually have any big gross results at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keOm-39MX80

Huh, I didn't know it was coming out so soon. I know that uhhh dead by daylight showed up to do a similar kind of thing and I've heard it is pretty decent, but here's hoping that this friday the 13th game is fun too :)

Maybe this just got me in a weird way, which is odd because I have consumed absolutely unnecessary amounts of violence in media, but something about most of these kills just put me off. The music helps, and so does the absurd showcase after the kill montage ends, but man that just left me feeling squicky instead of raring to play and watch.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

I think the main thing weirding me out about the Friday the 13th game is like, some of these kills are pretty bad (Good-bad) when they're not showing you the details up in your face, stomp holding the struggling person in the fireplace and ones like that, but then he's squeezing heads and grinding them into brick walls with all these crunchy croaky sounds leading up to a wet smash... and then their head is still fully intact if just blood-splattered. I'm not super into horrifying gore just to have it usually, but if we're doing Jason slaughtering people then I dunno, it feels so weak to see those not actually have any big gross results at the end.

Maybe that was it. It felt OFF. The victims all limply and weakly do nothing as they're killed in an almost bored manner, and it's a really loving ugly set of deaths, but the actual gore is minimal. I was braced for the fire one to get under my skin, but it did because she barely reacted to being held in a fire. It all just felt creepy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

That E3 stage event made a lot of people cringe. They debuted the gameplay as a "tournament" and had announcers calling the game with made up terminology. Stuff like "He got a two-three eat right out of the gate!".

Ugh, the whole thing was really sad. It's what happens when you stick a publisher's marketing department in charge of development I think.

It really hurt that it was a THQ game picked up by Take-Two and I think that move introduced the majority of its problems. Take-Two paid a large amount of money for the property probably went the most extreme route to get a return.

Yardbomb posted:

I feel the opposite, that the kills are a little too detailed? Going back through the movies the kills are rather conservative. Jason stabs someone, there's a splash of blood, next scene. Here Jason lingers while the victim screams and sobs for mercy while in the movies he's like a ninja assassin that gets most victims before they even see him. It reminds me of the modern Mortal Kombats but the game lacks the detail which makes those funny to watch.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

al-azad posted:

I feel the opposite, that the kills are a little too detailed? Going back through the movies the kills are rather conservative. Jason stabs someone, there's a splash of blood, next scene. Here Jason lingers while the victim screams and sobs for mercy while in the movies he's like a ninja assassin that gets most victims before they even see him. It reminds me of the modern Mortal Kombats but the game lacks the detail which makes those funny to watch.

Yeah. They feel too detailed, go on too long, are a little too intimate, but also don't have enough model detail to back up the violence being done, leaving it feeling really weird for me. Plus, it seems you can just slaughter - Dead By Daylight had the neat idea of making it a ritual killer in terms of gameplay, where you need to get victims, chase them, hack them down, THEN drag them to ritual sites for a prolonged kill, encouraging them to escape, friends to fall into traps, a scramble to get more as the doors start to open, and so on. Good mix of the frantic and plausible.

I did see some cool stuff here though, and it is early alpha, so I'll wait and see.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Black August posted:

Yeah. They feel too detailed, go on too long, are a little too intimate, but also don't have enough model detail to back up the violence being done, leaving it feeling really weird for me. Plus, it seems you can just slaughter - Dead By Daylight had the neat idea of making it a ritual killer in terms of gameplay, where you need to get victims, chase them, hack them down, THEN drag them to ritual sites for a prolonged kill, encouraging them to escape, friends to fall into traps, a scramble to get more as the doors start to open, and so on. Good mix of the frantic and plausible.

I did see some cool stuff here though, and it is early alpha, so I'll wait and see.

Jason is a weird character that goes from hillbilly to Michael Myers to ghost wraith(?) to immortal juggernaut. I don't know where they're going here but the guy can be beaten up... sometimes so there has to be a hook for the players to turn around to fight back I just don't know how they'll balance that. I don't know how far they'll go with the character but possible angles could involve needing to find his mom's altar or closing gates to hell or something I DON'T KNOW he's such a dumb character!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I haven't really looked too much into it but I will they say better have multiple costumes for Jason otherwise they have failed already. Vanilla Jason, Hillbilly Jason with the sack on his head, Jason X, NES Jason, Mrs. Voorhees, etc.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 8, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

exploding mummy posted:

Avoid Murdered: Soul Suspect

Am I the only one who liked that game? The stealth was awful and the gameplay outside that was really easy, but I honestly enjoyed it. I'm not sure why, but I felt really compelled to finish it and was disappointed when it ended so quickly.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Accordion Man posted:

I haven't really looked too much into it but I will they say better have multiple costumes for Jason otherwise they have failed already. Vanilla Jason, Hillbilly Jason with the sack on his head, Jason X, NES Jason, Mrs. Voorhees, etc.

From that kill compilation it does indeed look like they already have a good couple. They have the simple rolled up sleeves with jeans or whatever, they have the hillbilly bag head from 2, they have the decomposing chain around his neck Jason from 7.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

chitoryu12 posted:

Am I the only one who liked that game? The stealth was awful and the gameplay outside that was really easy, but I honestly enjoyed it. I'm not sure why, but I felt really compelled to finish it and was disappointed when it ended so quickly.

I liked it although I was pissed when it turned out I missed a single collectible and didn't realize it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna say that they'd probably have to avoid showing too much gore at something like a press release, or avoid getting an adult rating from gore, but that's just me talking out of my rear end so who knows. I just want the game to be fun and good and to be the jason game I always thought would own.

It really does feel like a quick turnout for this game tho. When was the kickstarter again?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FirstAidKite posted:

I wanna say that they'd probably have to avoid showing too much gore at something like a press release, or avoid getting an adult rating from gore, but that's just me talking out of my rear end so who knows. I just want the game to be fun and good and to be the jason game I always thought would own.

It really does feel like a quick turnout for this game tho. When was the kickstarter again?

Last year sometime I think.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Len posted:

Last year sometime I think.

Jeeze, that really was quick then. I feel like most kickstarters get the money and then spend several years either delaying the game or running out of money for the game or just tweaking the game until they feel it is fine to release. I hope the relatively quick dev cycle isn't a sign of quality...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Technically it was announced back in October of 2014, under the name Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp. Though after a year, it was announced that a deal with Sean Cunningham had been made, and they acquired the rights to Friday the 13th.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It also isn't a $60 release if the kickstarter tiers are to be believed. The $30 tier gets you the game which makes some sense for the two year dev time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chitoryu12 posted:

It was okay for $20 but it would have been better as a straight adventure game the ghost stealth stuff was pretty meh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

It was okay for $20 but it would have been better as a straight adventure game the ghost stealth stuff was pretty meh

Agreed. The stealth mechanics were admittedly very poorly designed, to the point where it sometimes became almost impossible to hide after getting caught without zipping between every hiding place as fast as you could because demons would search every single one nearby and inevitably catch you.

I'm not even sure why I found it so engaging. If you think enough about the plot and characters you can start picking apart things you don't like, but I dunno. I just really enjoyed the combination of atmosphere, characters, and story for some reason I can't put my finger on. I'd be totally cool with a sequel.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FreudianSlippers posted:

I really liked a game called Heart of Darkness as a kid. I think it was a PC port of a PlayStation game. You played as a kid with a lightning gun fighting evil shadows. I remember it being really hard so I never got very far.

Heart of Darkness was the spiritual successor of Another World/Out of this World, by the same creator (Eric Chahi, whos also made the most excellent The Last Express, and the much less good From Dust). Inside would be an excellent modern take on the same kind of thing (as would Limbo, but Inside is basically a better Limbo). How kid-friendly it is kinda depends on your perception and it may be a good idea to have a look at it yourself beforehand. Back when I was a kid I didn't mind the brutal deaths of Another World and Heart of Darkness, they very much were part of the horror, and Inside has the same approach (little blood but very brutal and taking place in a world that openly wants your character dead).

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Actual question: did anything happen in limbo ? I loved the atmosphere in this game but I don't remember anything besides 'go find girl'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uhh, you got chased by a big spider thing? That's all I remember.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still have no idea how we were supposed to solve, like, 90% of the puzzles in Out Of This World

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Danaru posted:

I still have no idea how we were supposed to solve, like, 90% of the puzzles in Out Of This World

Repeated trial and error, I think. I think when I played it it went something like:

Walk right, get too close to worm thing, die.
Walk left, monster thing jumps down from rocks, run away, get too close to worm, die.

And each subsequent attempt was just another iteration on that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Fil5000 posted:

Repeated trial and error, I think. I think when I played it it went something like:

Walk right, get too close to worm thing, die.
Walk left, monster thing jumps down from rocks, run away, get too close to worm, die.

And each subsequent attempt was just another iteration on that.

That makes sense, but what about that panel of buttons in the Colosseum you need to mash in the right order :psyduck:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Regarding Limbo, well yeah, the gist of it is you chase the girl, face various dangers along the way (the spider, other kids, brain worms), turn derelict mechanisms back on and eventually go through ambiguous events which you may or may not think about for days trying to reconstruct a narrative, depending on how invested you were in it all.

Inside is a little bit more open with its narrative, in the sense that even if you don't get the backstory (and in fact it starts with less of one than limbo, in the sense that it is not made clear you're chasing after anyone or anything other than survival at first) there's much more obviously events happening, your characters is going through an arc and it does a wonderful job wordlessly building a coherent and disturbing world. In the end it still leaves you thinking as to what it was all really about but with a more concrete setting to think about. Also as an extra there are secrets to hunt throughout the game that are wonderful pieces of level design (well, until the last secret puzzle that necessitates serious lateral thinking, but I'm also playing La Mulana blind so I wasn't gonna let that stop me for long), that eventually provide you with a big extra clue, though whether it's helpful or mindboggling is left to the viewer.

The atmosphere is crazy and like few others and it really reminds me of a good evolution of Another World.

Danaru posted:

That makes sense, but what about that panel of buttons in the Colosseum you need to mash in the right order :psyduck:

You're on a relatively lenient timer, that actually resets at one point (when you blow up the ground, preventing death by grenades), and there actually aren't that many buttons. You're really just meant to do what any intrepid dimensional adventurer would do, press them randomly to make things happen. People who tried to follow the button order from a FAQ were doing it wrong.

Chev fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 8, 2016

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

There was talk of "kid friendly horror" and that takes me back to Maniac Mansion. More of a parody than anything scary, but I float between wanting an amazing remake and never wanting anyone to touch such a perfect game ever again.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Danaru posted:

I got through it when I was 7 or 8 years old without a guide so its not that hard. What I still remember are those leech things you have to jump over in the beginning for some reason those things really freaked me out as a kid.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

DropsySufferer posted:

I got through it when I was 7 or 8 years old without a guide so its not that hard. What I still remember are those leech things you have to jump over in the beginning for some reason those things really freaked me out as a kid.

First time through the game I went through hell timing those jumps, especially when you have to run back pursued by the beast. Much later I discovered you can just kick the slugs to kill them the first time through and never have to jump over them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feel like Friday the 13th will turn out to be poo poo. Silly reason but I attribute it to Adam Sessler shilling for it, same guy who went in hard on Evolve and Evil Within, both which turned out to be loving awful. (At least EW was for me, playing that janky broken poo poo on console). Seeing him attached to another project like this just tanks my interest because while he's a nice guy, I feel like the poo poo he gets paid to shill for always turns out terrible.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hey all. I didn't see this mentioned but I thought it belonged in this thread since there isn't a general Arcade Thread (for good reason :smith: ).I recently got to play Namco's horror themed light gun shooter Dark Escape 4D. This thing was ridiculous in a cheesy way. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03m8IXHVb8

It relies mostly on copious amounts of jump scares. It was fun as an experience because my partner is susceptible to jump scares. As a game it was ok. The survival horror aspect of it was hard to get into because your gun is an unlimited ammo machine gun. It was also expensive at the place we were at. $2 a play :eek: Anyone else seen or played it?

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Not at all! It definitely has problems, but I thought it was novel enough and had a pretty good time with it. I would love to see another one.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey all. I didn't see this mentioned but I thought it belonged in this thread since there isn't a general Arcade Thread (for good reason :smith: ).I recently got to play Namco's horror themed light gun shooter Dark Escape 4D. This thing was ridiculous in a cheesy way. Here's a trailer:

It relies mostly on copious amounts of jump scares. It was fun as an experience because my partner is susceptible to jump scares. As a game it was ok. The survival horror aspect of it was hard to get into because your gun is an unlimited ammo machine gun. It was also expensive at the place we were at. $2 a play :eek: Anyone else seen or played it?

i love gimmicky poo poo like this and would love to try it out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wamdoodle posted:

I love that their super terrifying haptic feedback features are speakers and wind special effects from the 1950s.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Black August posted:

That sounds really cool and I'm kinda wishing I had heard about that before I kickstartr'd Friday the 13th.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skyscraper posted:

That sounds really cool and I'm kinda wishing I had heard about that before I kickstartr'd Friday the 13th.

If it makes you feel any better, it gets old pretty fast. Depending on the patch day it's either "Killer is OP, so do your best and cross your fingers that you get some points before he murders you" or "Survivor is OP and can literally tank hits without any problem" so they are still really working out the kinks.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If it makes you feel any better, it gets old pretty fast. Depending on the patch day it's either "Killer is OP, so do your best and cross your fingers that you get some points before he murders you" or "Survivor is OP and can literally tank hits without any problem" so they are still really working out the kinks.

It'll be interesting to see if Friday the 13th ends up any different.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I gave Dead by Daylight a try during their last free weekend and it is absolutely punishing for new players. Knowing the maps and the little quirks of the interaction systems seems to make a huge difference, and I'm pretty sure I doomed my entire team the first few games while I was still learning how the skill checks work. If you've got the patience to learn it inside and out I bet it can be pretty thrilling but that learning curve looks like a brick wall to me.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah, I played it in a Dave & Busters in Dallas. It cost around $4 (D&B obfuscates the costs in points) and had a line thirty minutes long to try it out. It would have been scarier if there hadn't been like five kids at a time pulling the curtain back to watch us play.

Also the air blasts felt very cold and wet, almost like water spray.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Yeah, I played it in a Dave & Busters in Dallas. It cost around $4 (D&B obfuscates the costs in points) and had a line thirty minutes long to try it out. It would have been scarier if there hadn't been like five kids at a time pulling the curtain back to watch us play.

I can't swear I played this exact game, but I played a very similar one at a D&B here and it was not good. It was the modern equivalent of cheap parlor tricks covering up a very boring game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They had one the last time I was at a D&B but it wasn't unlimited gameplay time and gently caress spending that much on a light gun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Eww. I wonder if someone spilled a drink or something in the mechanism. The one I tried felt dry.

Len posted:

They had one the last time I was at a D&B but it wasn't unlimited gameplay time and gently caress spending that much on a light gun game.

Lol yeah. We just tried it once for kicks. I definitely don't have any desire to try again whereas I still have no problem playing Terminator 2, the Time Crisis series or any other classic light gun game.