Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lauer wasting time asking about the stupid emails means that Hillary ignoring the dumbasses in the media was totally deserved although that probably hasn't helped her either. Is Lauer actually getting any blowback or is it just angry people on Twitter?

I will laugh if Matt is the next in a long line of idiots that gently caress over themselves professionally and/or politically trying to help out or softball Trump. What is it about that guy that so many dupes that shouldt know better think they will be the ones that help him and don't get screwed and for what gain?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Radish posted:

Lauer wasting time asking about the stupid emails means that Hillary ignoring the dumbasses in the media was totally deserved although that probably hasn't helped her either. Is Lauer actually getting any blowback or is it just angry people on Twitter?

I will laugh if Matt is the next in a long line of idiots that gently caress over themselves professionally and/or politically trying to help out or softball Trump. What is it about that guy that so many dupes that should no better think they will be the ones that help him and don't get screwed and for what gain?

Find anyone anywhere praising or even being neutral on Matt Lauer right now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Radish posted:

Is Lauer actually getting any blowback or is it just angry people on Twitter?

#LaueringTheBar is trending. He literally destroyed all respect he'd built up over his entire life to fellate Orange Hitler, a man that would gleefully slit Lauer's throat if he could get away with it. And honestly, Hillary didn't even come off bad enough to change anyone's minds. The people for Trump are still for him, the people against still against. Lauer killed his image for nothing. I can not for the life of me understand why people continue to go to bat for the world's most incompetent thousandaire.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Boogaleeboo posted:

#LaueringTheBar is trending. He literally destroyed all respect he'd built up over his entire life to fellate Orange Hitler, a man that would gleefully slit Lauer's throat if he could get away with it. And honestly, Hillary didn't even come off bad enough to change anyone's minds. The people for Trump are still for him, the people against still against. Lauer killed his image for nothing. I can not for the life of me understand why people continue to go to bat for the world's most incompetent thousandaire.

Morning show host has an age limit, evening male news host does not, he was trying to show he had the chops to hang with the big boys.

He does not have the chops to hang with the big boys.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Firstly, I don't think Hillary acquitted herself poorly considering the inane and stupid questions they asked her and the sexist garbage she got from the moderator.

Second, I don't think it's a correct understanding of what's going on to say that they're going to bat for Trump, because that implies they're rooting for or like Trump. They're going to bat for the Republican Party in general and whoever they nominate, but most correctly, they're going to bat for the false equivocation that both parties are equal entities with equally meaningful, correct, and fact-based opinions deserving of merit, because they need people to think that the election could be close, and that they should pay attention to it because, above all else, their participation could matter and thus they can feel important. Because that draws in clicks and pageviews and most importantly ad revenue, and that's all profit-driven media cares about. They don't focus on objective, truth-based journalism because that isn't what sells.

Edit: Essentially, it's not about liking Trump or Republicans, it's about appearing to be the so-called objective, unbiased "adult in the room," who can look very professional and smart declaring to their viewers (who also want to feel professional and smart) that all these Serious Politicians with Serious Opinions are going to engage in complex debate so that you, America, can decide who is best for the country. The problem is that this relies on the Serious Politicians actually being serious professionals with meaningful opinions based on fact, who aren't trying to be massively racist idiots or just straight up not living in economic, social, or geopolitical reality. The Republican Party doesn't stand up to any meaningful scrutiny anymore, so they have to play pretend to keep up the ruse so people keep coming back to watch.

The slow death of television news also plays a part into their desperation to keep up the viewership. Meanwhile internet news is eager to steal away audiences from TV, so they also want this narrative to generate likes, clicks, and video watches.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 8, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Radish posted:

What is it about that guy that so many dupes that shouldt know better think they will be the ones that help him and don't get screwed and for what gain?

They're trying to chase balance in a year where there is none. Trump is a poo poo tier candidate that doesn't deserve to be on the same stage let alone in the same race for an office as Hillary Clinton.

The media feel it would be "biased," if they admitted it, though. So they're slanting their coverage so far toward Trump in a way to make him seem like a reasonable candidate that they end up falling off the cliff.

"Nobody expects you to have really done a deep dive on some of these complicated policy issues..." is such a patently absurd statement. We've gone from "What newspapers do you read?" to, "Oh we're not going to expect you to have read anything..." in the span of 8 years.

I think it's so insane that even the public can sense it a little bit.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 8, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately, he's still being mauled even when he did everything he was supposed to under normal circumstances because he tried to play nice with the Republican nominated feral pig. If he was pitching to a Romney or even a Zodiac Killer, they would at least bunt something back that wouldn't tear into his face. But he looked like a bigger idiot than Trump trying to play the game with him and it's just amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lid posted:

Morning show host has an age limit

Joe Scarborough's trying his damndest to disprove that :v: Then again, Morning Joe isn't so much a morning show than it is a social experiment about how long a group of people who fundamentally hate one another can sit around a table before each tires to kill all the others.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trump said stuff that was flatly untrue and/or insane, so Trump managed to look bad even despite Lauer deciding to never follow up on anything at all.

What makes it worse yet for Lauer is that he also came off as a sexist when he went into emails for 10 minutes at a foreign policy forum and tried to cut off Hillary when they were talking about anything else. Meanwhile, the complete opposite for Trump.

We're actually fairly lucky that this long-predicted sort of "moderator" performance came early and will scare off other moderators from attempting the same during the actual debates. Matt Lauer is also apparently a massive loving poo poo in real life, so it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Matt Lauer is also apparently a massive loving poo poo in real life, so it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

It's funny because I was in line at a Wal-Mart checkout last night and one of the tabloid covers that caught my eye as I was scanning about the place trying to numb the existential boredom that comes from waiting in line in a drat Wal-Mart had a headline in bright yellow block letters that screamed "I SOLD MATT LAUER COCAINE!" At first I just rolled my eyes at it thinking it was just opportunistic bullshit thrown out there because Lauer would be in the headlines again because of tonight's forum, but now... I'm not so certain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lid posted:

Morning show host has an age limit, evening male news host does not, he was trying to show he had the chops to hang with the big boys.

He does not have the chops to hang with the big boys.

Yea this was his desperate buckshot attempt to break free and get his own evening show for life.

He blew it and now we all laugh.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm surprised Trump's comments about leaving with Iraq's oil haven't been getting more play. In the run up to the war, there was always the sneaking suspicion that Bush and Cheney invaded so that they and their oil buddies could get rich, but it was never proven. Trump is straight up advocating for war as a means to making the country rich.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Given that Trump changes his positions by the hour based on who he's talking to, I'm going to go ahead and call him the world's greatest performance artist. What he has revealed about American politics and media is truly astounding.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Given that Trump changes his positions by the hour based on who he's talking to, I'm going to go ahead and call him the world's greatest performance artist. What he has revealed about American politics and media is truly astounding.

It's funny, all the stuff he's revealed I always thought was true to some extent. I always figured the media was spineless, and Republican voters largely are just in it for the hate. However, he's proven it to such a degree that I am still shocked at what's happening. I never thought it was this bad. Did anyone here think this was possible?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It gives even more credence to the "Trump was a Hillary sockpuppet the whole time" theory, it's making all the idiot journalists look like total morons for doing this to the race.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nichael posted:

It's funny, all the stuff he's revealed I always thought was true to some extent. I always figured the media was spineless, and Republican voters largely are just in it for the hate. However, he's proven it to such a degree that I am still shocked at what's happening. I never thought it was this bad. Did anyone here think this was possible?

Yeah, it pretty much has been this bad since at least the '90s and the beginnings of the right wing media sphere, but more broadly since the adoption of the Southern Strategy.

The Republican Party has been fundamentally morally bankrupt since Ronald Reagan, though Nixon laid a lot of the groundwork. Largely because American conservatives aren't properly conservative - they aren't really in favor of preserving the status quo or emphasizing slower, gradual change - so much as they're reactionary fascists with an obsession with otherizing minorities, putting women "in their place" and advocating for psychotically interventionist foreign policy to enrich their military-industrial backers.

Edit: That said it's important to keep reminding ourselves that Trump isn't really a true believer. I'm sure he's an rear end in a top hat and a racist, but he's probably not any more racist than, say, your racist grandpa. What makes him special is that he's basically figured out what makes the modern Republican Party tick, and hijacked it to make a quick buck. He's so inconsistent because he has no meaningful policy - he just says whatever will get him the most attention and money from conservatives, because they're easy to take for a ride.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Trump said stuff that was flatly untrue and/or insane, so Trump managed to look bad even despite Lauer deciding to never follow up on anything at all.

What makes it worse yet for Lauer is that he also came off as a sexist when he went into emails for 10 minutes at a foreign policy forum and tried to cut off Hillary when they were talking about anything else. Meanwhile, the complete opposite for Trump.

We're actually fairly lucky that this long-predicted sort of "moderator" performance came early and will scare off other moderators from attempting the same during the actual debates. Matt Lauer is also apparently a massive loving poo poo in real life, so it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

The part that terrifies me is that I'm not sure the public thinks Trump looked bad at all. I know it's a Twitter poll, but NBC News's poll says that Trump won, thanks to Lauer grooving Trump fastballs when he showed he couldn't hit the slider.

I think you're right about this leading to more rational moderation in the debates, though. I think this next news cycle is going to be important, to see how willing the other news outlets are to cannibalize Lauer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Shortest Path posted:

It gives even more credence to the "Trump was a Hillary sockpuppet the whole time" theory, it's making all the idiot journalists look like total morons for doing this to the race.
I don't even know how society would handle it if Trump said "Yeah, it was a work" in his concession speech. I mean if you want to appeal to his ego... My God, is that how it was done? Is that the trick Bill Clinton played on the world? Has he convinced Donald Trump that if he destroys the Republican Party, history will vindicate him?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nessus posted:

I don't even know how society would handle it if Trump said "Yeah, it was a work" in his concession speech. I mean if you want to appeal to his ego... My God, is that how it was done? Is that the trick Bill Clinton played on the world? Has he convinced Donald Trump that if he destroys the Republican Party, history will vindicate him?

This is basically my dream scenario. I had hoped he'd do it at the Republican convention. Just waltz out on stage and be like, "nah bitches, I actually think Hillary owns (<- his opinion, historically) and I did this as a favor to Bill, also haha holy poo poo you guys are gullible racist jacksses" and then peace out with all the millions of dollars he stole from the raving lunatics that make up the Republican Party.

Unfortunately Trump is a con artist and an empty shell of a businessman, but he also doesn't really appear to have a conscience. He's just a sociopath who found an angle taking other sociopaths for a ride.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
in news that is equal parts hilarious and eyeroll-worthy: Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka had arrest warrants issued against them for painting equipment at the Dakota Access Pipeline protest.

Good going Jill! You have hundreds of thousands of followers and instead of mobilizing them to raise funds for the Standing Rock Nation's legal funds, or to collect donations for the protesters at the site, or anything, you showed up for a photo op that makes you look anti-establishment! Good use of that spotlight! Vote Green

(not denying the warrants are stupid and unnecessary but come on lady)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's much more effective for him to tank the general so downtickets suffer across the board, and never fess up to it so he can then follow up by making tons of money off of a new alt-right media machine and playing up the "rigged election" angle while continuing to slowly erode the credibility of everything he touches. It would be solid loving gold to see the reaction of his supporters if he did, though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Shortest Path posted:

It's much more effective for him to tank the general so downtickets suffer across the board, and never fess up to it so he can then follow up by making tons of money off of a new alt-right media machine and playing up the "rigged election" angle while continuing to slowly erode the credibility of everything he touches. It would be solid loving gold to see the reaction of his supporters if he did, though.

I didn't say it was my dream scenario because it was the most damaging. It's my dream scenario because it would be the most morally devastating to the American Right. :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

True that. It would be glorious.

Just imagining Howie Carr try to retroactively justify himself after such an event is going to make me sleep well tonight.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Farchanter posted:

The part that terrifies me is that I'm not sure the public thinks Trump looked bad at all. I know it's a Twitter poll, but NBC News's poll says that Trump won, thanks to Lauer grooving Trump fastballs when he showed he couldn't hit the slider.

I think you're right about this leading to more rational moderation in the debates, though. I think this next news cycle is going to be important, to see how willing the other news outlets are to cannibalize Lauer.

The NBC poll seems to be a result of Trumpista brigading. And any Trump "victory" will be tainted by Lauer's incredibly obvious softballing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

dicks assassin posted:

I'm surprised Trump's comments about leaving with Iraq's oil haven't been getting more play. In the run up to the war, there was always the sneaking suspicion that Bush and Cheney invaded so that they and their oil buddies could get rich, but it was never proven. Trump is straight up advocating for war as a means to making the country rich.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, it pretty much has been this bad since at least the '90s and the beginnings of the right wing media sphere, but more broadly since the adoption of the Southern Strategy.

The Republican Party has been fundamentally morally bankrupt since Ronald Reagan, though Nixon laid a lot of the groundwork. Largely because American conservatives aren't properly conservative - they aren't really in favor of preserving the status quo or emphasizing slower, gradual change - so much as they're reactionary fascists with an obsession with otherizing minorities, putting women "in their place" and advocating for psychotically interventionist foreign policy to enrich their military-industrial backers.

Edit: That said it's important to keep reminding ourselves that Trump isn't really a true believer. I'm sure he's an rear end in a top hat and a racist, but he's probably not any more racist than, say, your racist grandpa. What makes him special is that he's basically figured out what makes the modern Republican Party tick, and hijacked it to make a quick buck. He's so inconsistent because he has no meaningful policy - he just says whatever will get him the most attention and money from conservatives, because they're easy to take for a ride.

This is it really. All the Orange One really represents is that the Republicsns have decayed so much morally and intellectually that they can be taken in by such an obvious conman and most traditional media is so desperate to ignore this fact that they help elevate men like this rather than dare admit it. The only problem is that Trump is such an obvious fool and dictator wannabe that this might finally come back to bite them both since there really is no way to keep pretending he is in any way qualified to anyone who is not fully brainwashed, just as bigoted as him, or just mindlessly pulls the "R" lever out of habit.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

An email sent by a blithering idiot who thinks demanding payment for military interventions we initiate is a better idea to alleviate deficits than just raising taxes. :downs:

Who is that person? Tell me they don't work for the Democratic Party in any meaningful capacity.

Geostomp posted:

This is it really. All the Orange One really represents is that the Republicsns have decayed so much morally and intellectually that they can be taken in by such an obvious conman and most traditional media is so desperate to ignore this fact that they help elevate men like this rather than dare admit it. The only problem is that Trump is such an obvious fool and dictator wannabe that this might finally come back to bite them both since there really is no way to keep pretending he is in any way qualified to anyone who is not fully brainwashed, just as bigoted as him, or just mindlessly pulls the "R" lever out of habit.

Bleh. It'll be back to business as usual just in time for Republicans to retake both houses of Congress in 2018. Things won't change dramatically until Republicans start losing Congressional seats in traditionally Republican districts due to demographic shift, and/or a massive spanking in 2020 that leads to Democratic controlled redistricting.

I don't really understand why Democrats can't mobilize voters in off-years. I understand why traditionally Democratic voters don't show up, but I don't understand why the Democratic Party is seemingly so institutionally incapable of addressing the problem.

Edit: holy poo poo that woman is actually taken seriously by people in the Democratic Party establishment. lmao gently caress that noise.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The US Media's coverage of Trump in comparison to how they treat Hillary is reminding me of the BBC's coverage of Brexit leading up to the referendum. So desperate to appear neutral and unbiased, they'd repeat outright lies with the same weight and subtance as corrections to those lies. Even gonig so far as getting a historian leave-voter to refute scientists arguing for how bad Brexit would be for UK science because they couldn't find any scientists who supported brexit. Of course they didn't bother to tell viewers that Dr X was a historian and not a scientist.

It's baffling and damaging and much like with Brexit i'm sure they're telling themselves it doesn't matter because Trump can't win (Not Arzying, am sure Trump's going to lose but the media's determined to make it closer than it should be with a narcissistic, tiny-handed racist as the Republican candidate).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't understand why the Democratic Party is seemingly so institutionally incapable of addressing the problem.
Bad leadership.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bad leadership.

As in, the head of the DNC is a moron (it can't just have been DWS, we were losing in off-years before her), or the entire bureaucratic apparatus is blatantly stupid?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

PST posted:

The US Media's coverage of Trump in comparison to how they treat Hillary is reminding me of the BBC's coverage of Brexit leading up to the referendum. So desperate to appear neutral and unbiased, they'd repeat outright lies with the same weight and subtance as corrections to those lies. Even gonig so far as getting a historian leave-voter to refute scientists arguing for how bad Brexit would be for UK science because they couldn't find any scientists who supported brexit. Of course they didn't bother to tell viewers that Dr X was a historian and not a scientist.

It's baffling and damaging and much like with Brexit i'm sure they're telling themselves it doesn't matter because Trump can't win (Not Arzying, am sure Trump's going to lose but the media's determined to make it closer than it should be with a narcissistic, tiny-handed racist as the Republican candidate).

At least in the case of Trump there's the United States' byzantine voting structure which reduces his chances even if nationally he's closing the gap. Unlike the straight "every vote actually matters for once" of Brexit where people in safe seats suddenly found that for the first time in their lives most likely that their vote had some impact.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lightning Knight posted:

An email sent by a blithering idiot who thinks demanding payment for military interventions we initiate is a better idea to alleviate deficits than just raising taxes. :downs:

Who is that person? Tell me they don't work for the Democratic Party in any meaningful capacity..

not the democratic party, per se, but I'd say she's got a shot at being your next president's chief of staff.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lightning Knight posted:

Who is that person? Tell me they don't work for the Democratic Party in any meaningful capacity.

Neera is Hillary's former and likely next chief of staff. She currently heads the most influential left wing think tank, in which capacity she sent that email.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

awesmoe posted:

not the democratic party, per se, but I'd say she's got a shot at being your next president's chief of staff.

Joementum posted:

Neera is Hillary's former and likely next chief of staff. She currently heads the most influential left wing think tank, in which capacity she sent that email.

My confidence in Hillary's foreign policy just fell a little bit. :stare:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lightning Knight posted:

As in, the head of the DNC is a moron (it can't just have been DWS, we were losing in off-years before her), or the entire bureaucratic apparatus is blatantly stupid?

the latter

its not really as much as stupidity as it is sheer ineptitude and laziness, comes from presumption and arrogance as well which isn't to say isn't stupid in itself

especially with downtickets

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Meanwhile, Johnson on Morning Joe:

quote:

JOHNSON: And what is Aleppo?
BARNICLE: You're kidding me.
JOHNSON: No.

Video: https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/773851435477762048

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well? What is it?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:laffo:

Even I know that poo poo and I couldn't tell you the name of every state and their capitols off the top of my head. (I'm a huge history nerd, but I've always been abysmal at geography).

greatn posted:

Well? What is it?

The capitol of Syria.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's Syria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich