Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The best part of afterburner photos are the planebutts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My flight school got a ton of tickets to an advanced screening of Sully. It was good if you're an airplane nerd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Really? The number of errors in the trailer was atrocious. Scimitar wings in 2009? And don't get me started about the liveries!
:goonsay:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Neat! I never knew they captured the YF-12 outrunning a surface-to-air missile!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Paint it black

When you see a plane painted like this you know it's up to no good

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Suicide Watch posted:

When you see a plane painted like this you know it's up to no good

I've been reading "Fifteen Minutes" about LeMay's persistent desire to start WW3, and evidently the Air Force was *not happy* about having to repaint the undersides of BUFFs from anti-flash white to 'harder to spot' black. Of course, they were even less happy about putting their precious hydrogen bomb trucks in harm's way in the first place to bomb 'suspected truck parks,' too.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Inacio posted:

I'd say best plane but I don't want to get chastised by the thread. :allears:

Agreed.

When I was a kid my Dad (former US Air Force pilot) had this huge book about military aircraft and I thought the Draken was so weird and cool. This too:

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been reading "Fifteen Minutes" about LeMay's persistent desire to start WW3, and evidently the Air Force was *not happy* about having to repaint the undersides of BUFFs from anti-flash white to 'harder to spot' black. Of course, they were even less happy about putting their precious hydrogen bomb trucks in harm's way in the first place to bomb 'suspected truck parks,' too.

Over the years I've gathered that LeMay wanted to start WW3, but I never understood his rationale. Similarly, I'm kind of impressed that despite his long time in such a position of power he was constantly prevented from starting WW3. Is there any information on this?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AlmightyPants posted:

Over the years I've gathered that LeMay wanted to start WW3, but I never understood his rationale. Similarly, I'm kind of impressed that despite his long time in such a position of power he was constantly prevented from starting WW3. Is there any information on this?

LeMay wanted to start WW3 because in the mid 1950s to early 1960s, we would have won handily with 'acceptable losses.' The Soviets had the SS-6, but the thing required like 24 hours of prep time and had a CEP of like 3 miles.

He was a textbook obsessive compulsive headcase who couldn't understand why given the knowledge that we'd 'win,' why anyone *wouldn't* give him the authority to go in and do his job. In short, imagine LeMay as 'Mugatu' from Zoolander, and every day, he wondered why everyone except him (and maybe Gen. Thomas Power) was taking 'crazy pills.' He finally went completely off his loving nut as soon as we'd let the Russians build enough of and good-enough missiles and other assorted delivery systems to assure MAD (in addition to McNamara's love of missiles and his constant chopping away at Airborne Alert), and ran as George Wallace's VP, thereby hitching his wagon to a bigot when in all truth he'd never shown a single example of racism - the only people whom he couldn't stand were people who got in his way.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 8, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Curtis LeMay wanted to start WWIII on his terms.

quote:

Native annalists may look sadly back from the future on that period when we had the atomic bomb and the Russians didn't. Or when the Russians had aquired (through connivance and treachery of Westerns with warped minds) the atomic bomb—and yet still didn't have any stockpile of the weapons. That was the era when we might have destroyed Russia completely and not even skinned our elbows doing it.

As to the balance that kept him in power, but not starting WWIII: I wish I knew. Time travellers, maybe. :tinfoil:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

As to the balance that kept him in power, but not starting WWIII: I wish I knew. Time travellers, maybe. :tinfoil:

Or it's a rare moment in human history where decency and morality won over morbid logic. Unlikely*, I know - but I'm a pessimistic fucker by stock and trade and I've gotta imagine silver linings *somewhere*.

* the real reason is that despite having deliverable weapons to the other side's 'nothing,' that we 1) didn't have enough fissile material for a usable stockpile until around 1949 for purely fission bombs, 2) until the B-47 and B-52 the plan for delivering the few bombs we DID have was "fly B-29s and B-36s in large formations and hope the Reds don't shoot down the ones carrying the nukes," and 3) before the B-47 and B-52 were introduced, we were dropping bombs that were landing well off target, which meant that even though we HAD the bombs in larger quantity than the Russians and could deliver more of them to the general *vicinity* of targets, we couldn't guarantee their usefulness, and the delivery platforms were simultaneously immensely valuable and extremely unreliable at the same time.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 8, 2016

food-rf
May 18, 2014
Night-time afterburners you say?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

ehnus posted:

Neat! I never knew they captured the YF-12 outrunning a surface-to-air missile!

more of an air to surface missile, generally

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

:drat:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or it's a rare moment in human history where decency and morality won over morbid logic. Unlikely*, I know - but I'm a pessimistic fucker by stock and trade and I've gotta imagine silver linings *somewhere*.

* the real reason is that despite having deliverable weapons to the other side's 'nothing,' that we 1) didn't have enough fissile material for a usable stockpile until around 1949 for purely fission bombs, 2) until the B-47 and B-52 the plan for delivering the few bombs we DID have was "fly B-29s and B-36s in large formations and hope the Reds don't shoot down the ones carrying the nukes," and 3) before the B-47 and B-52 were introduced, we were dropping bombs that were landing well off target, which meant that even though we HAD the bombs in larger quantity than the Russians and could deliver more of them to the general *vicinity* of targets, we couldn't guarantee their usefulness, and the delivery platforms were simultaneously immensely valuable and extremely unreliable at the same time.

I wonder if anybody ever said to LeMay "Hey, isn't this how World War 2 started? A golden opportunity to attack an enemy and knock them out quickly?"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Love me some lemay quotes

quote:

If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting.

quote:

If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future looks good.

:911:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You also forgot that Russia is relatively close to the NATO countries so any potential fallout would inevitably drop on them as well. If Russia was as isolated as, say, Australia is it would have been a more attractive option.

(If Australia's interior were nuked would anybody really even notice?)

edit:

quote:

Twelve Vixen B trials, between 1960 and 1963, attempted to discover the effects of high explosives detonating a nuclear weapon in a fire (typical of conditions which would occur in aviation accidents) and involved 22 kg of plutonium. They produced "jets of molten, burning plutonium extending hundreds of feet into the air."

:stare:

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 8, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JATOchat:

:france:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yes, apart from those practical reasons they should have murdered 100 million people so we didn't have to risk a war breaking out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I wonder if anybody ever said to LeMay "Hey, isn't this how World War 2 started? A golden opportunity to attack an enemy and knock them out quickly?"

To be fair, that part worked on the Western Front.

blugu64 posted:

Love me some lemay quotes

quote:

If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future looks good.

:911:

I can't believe my family isn't posting LeMay quotes on facebook. But even if you only buy into two of the three, we're loving ourselves pretty good.

Edit:

Party Plane Jones posted:

You also forgot that Russia is relatively close to the NATO countries so any potential fallout would inevitably drop on them as well. If Russia was as isolated as, say, Australia is it would have been a more attractive option.

The jet stream moves eastward. Not to say it's not a concern, but only the stuff that stays very low in the atmosphere.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 8, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ola posted:

Yes, apart from those practical reasons they should have murdered 100 million people so we didn't have to risk a war breaking out.

Well, yeah, and that.

"We have to but kick in the door, and the whole rotten edifice will collapse." I like this quote because if you are inside the rotten edifice when it collapses, you will be killed.

I think if you assume, like I think LeMay did, that nuclear war with the Warsaw Pact was 100% inevitable, then it was pretty much, well, like George C. Scott in Dr. Strangelove:

quote:

General Turgidson: Mr. President, we are rapidly approaching a moment of truth both for ourselves as human beings and for the life of our nation. Now, truth is not always a pleasant thing. But it is necessary now to make a choice, to choose between two admittedly regrettable, but nevertheless *distinguishable*, postwar environments: one where you got twenty million people killed, and the other where you got a hundred and fifty million people killed.

President Merkin Muffley: You're talking about mass murder, General, not war!

General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

President Merkin Muffley: I will not go down in history as the greatest mass-murderer since Adolf Hitler.

General "Buck" Turgidson: Perhaps it might be better, Mr. President, if you were more concerned with the American People than with your image in the history books.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think if you assume, like I think LeMay did, that nuclear war with the Warsaw Pact was 100% inevitable, then it was pretty much, well, like George C. Scott in Dr. Strangelove:
The more you know about the cold war, air power, and nuclear deterrence the better this movie gets. It's truly a masterpiece. Also, "turgid" is a great word.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Alereon posted:

The more you know about the cold war, air power, and nuclear deterrence the better this movie gets. It's truly a masterpiece. Also, "turgid" is a great word.

Can confirm. So's merkin for that matter.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Godholio posted:

I can't believe my family isn't posting LeMay quotes on facebook.

Be the change you want to see in the world

quote:

I don't want to hear of any of you men getting into any fights with the British. But if you do, you'd better not get whipped.

quote:

I think there are many times when it would be most efficient to use nuclear weapons. However, the public opinion in this country and throughout the world throw up their hands in horror when you mention nuclear weapons, just because of the propaganda that's been fed to them.

Actual quasi content as I don't think there is anywhere else to post it. I found a Davy Crockett, B53, and a nuclear rocket at the museum of atomic testing in Las Vegas.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Imagine living in the world where it happened. "Hey, remember that day America went and killed Russia?" That's gotta put a bit of a dent in your general outlook.

e: who am I kidding, we'd be talking about Bieber and Game of Thrones again five minutes later

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 8, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

This is relevant: http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/history-is-weird

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Imagine living in the world where it happened. "Hey, remember that day America went and killed Russia?" That's gotta put a bit of a dent in your general outlook.

"I am pleased to announce that I have just signed legislation that will make Russia illegal forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jaguars! posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE :supaburn:

SE-DXP is the only flying Draken in Europe at the moment and it has this weird (and awesome) thing going on where it farts out a big yellow flame when the afterburner lights up. I don't believe I've seen other Draken individuals do this. It might just be that it's got the short version of the tail cone - most of the one-seaters had a longer tail cone.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 8, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

blugu64 posted:

Actual quasi content as I don't think there is anywhere else to post it. I found a Davy Crockett, B53, and a nuclear rocket at the museum of atomic testing in Las Vegas.

I'm imagining some sort of Ocean's 11 where the Davy Crockett is still live, and they gotta steal it from a museum as part of the latest big plot.

"What the hell? This thing is rigged to blow with a egg timer?"

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://www.wired.com/2016/09/air-force-stash-f-22s-us-nasa-yeah-sure-got-room/

I wonder if they have a hangar map with little F-22 shapes like they do on carriers

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Suicide Watch posted:

I wonder if they have a hangar map with little F-22 shapes like they do on carriers

quote:

But again with the mutual love: NASA uses the base’s runways for their own aircraft. Share and share alike.

Except … at the low end of the F-22 cost estimate, those 13 parked planes are worth about $1.8 billion—that’s 10 percent of NASA’s total annual budget.

Holy crap.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

TheFluff posted:

LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE :supaburn:

IMO one of the coolest things about the Viggen is everything that it's engine is essentially a license built JT8D (as in the 727/DC9/737 classic engine) and is as far as I know the only aircraft to use that engine with an afterburner.

Which makes me wonder if some Saab engineer had a really fun phone call with Pratt and Whitney

:phone:: "Hey guys, crazy question..."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Suicide Watch posted:

I still think of the F-22 as this superhero lone wolf aircraft, it's weird seeing such a visceral reminder that yeah, the thing was mass-produced.

Was. :smith:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The only solution is to start production of an updated YF 23

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Actually that reminds me, why the gently caress did we skip all the F-designations between 22 and 35? I realize the joint strike fighter prototypes were the X-32 and X-35, but why when it was chosen as the contest winner wasn't it re-designated F-24 or whatever?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm imagining some sort of Ocean's 11 where the Davy Crockett is still live, and they gotta steal it from a museum as part of the latest big plot.

"What the hell? This thing is rigged to blow with a egg timer?"

I'd be lying if I didn't think about how awesome one would look in my office. Side note, I also forgot I saw this too:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Enourmo posted:

Actually that reminds me, why the gently caress did we skip all the F-designations between 22 and 35? I realize the joint strike fighter prototypes were the X-32 and X-35, but why when it was chosen as the contest winner wasn't it re-designated F-24 or whatever?

designation-systems.net posted:

(4) Design Number: Each vehicle type and basic mission symbol is used to form a separate series of design numbers. E.g., all helicopters are designated in a single numerical sequence, while "normal" aircraft are designated in separate series according to their basic mission. According to the instructions, the numbers in each series are to be assigned in strict numerical sequence without reference to manufacturers' model numbers and/or existing numbers in other MDS series. However, this rule is rather often violated nowadays, e.g. by using the manufacturer's model number (e.g. KC-767A), retaining the number when a new designation in another series is assigned (e.g. the production variant of the X-35 was designated F-35, although the next number in the F-series was 24), or allocating "special" numbers (e.g. X-50A, T-6A). For more information on these and other examples, see article on Non-Standard DOD Aircraft Designations. Also, sometimes numbers are skipped in one series because they are in use at the same time in another series (e.g. C-34 was skipped to "avoid confusion" with T-34).

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/aircraft.html

If you're really interested in how that works, this page lays it out in detail, including sentences like this:

quote:

The PO sends a written request for assignment of a new MDS to the DODCP. For U.S. Air Force POs this is done directly, while for the other DOD services (Navy/Marines, Army, Coast Guard) or the NASA, this is done via that service's DCP (Departmental Control Point), which handles and forwards all MDS requests for the respective service. The written request must include a reasonably detailed description of the program and the vehicle, so that DODCP can determine which new MDS (if any!) should be assigned.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

blugu64 posted:

I'd be lying if I didn't think about how awesome one would look in my office. Side note, I also forgot I saw this too:

64 days 22 hours 19 minutes

Still find it hard to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Terrible Robot posted:

64 days 22 hours 19 minutes

Still find it hard to believe.

Holy poo poo, that's a pretty amazing story.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2008/march/pilot/endurance-test-circa-1958