Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Meat Dimension posted:

Available only on the PS4 Pro

So what you're saying is that it will never exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Pretty much just like Scorpio

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

FishBulb posted:

Pretty much though I mean it does give them an excuse to be like "now we can focus on the REAL Destiny experience"

"To much content." - The Destiny Thread, November 2016.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

moist turtleneck posted:

I like how we are all assuming that the private matchmaking will actually work at launch

How would it not work? Drop random red bars into your lobby?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Choose a host who has the most terrible internet because it's NAT type 1

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Even choosing the shittest host will be better than playing against people in the middle of the ocean or dubai.

Private matches should be cool as hell mostly because we wont have to synch drop and balance teams before hand so the skill range is weighted or have some mlg wanna be drop in with a uni remote and max range melee when were loving about with khostovs and fusions.

The annoying thing is though crucible will still be a sweaty grind for iron banner and normal play.

I'll probably be super happy if thsy just nerf shotgun range and uni remote because that dead orbit shotgun with max range and quick draw as a possible weapon drop looks retarded and I can just see every pvp sperg that can't get a kill with a primary saving motes, heavy and bounties to pop a bunch of packages at the start.

If i see "adjusted match making to give greatest weighting to connection over skill" in the notes i might go blind and lose motor function from getting such a hard dick so quick. Probably shouldnt post destiny dreams in the thread.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

BlindSite posted:

If i see "adjusted match making to give greatest weighting to connection over skill" in the notes i might go blind and lose motor function from getting such a hard dick so quick. Probably shouldnt post destiny dreams in the thread.

The only issue is that bungie have said this a few times and it's all just bullshit lies.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

How would it not work? Drop random red bars into your lobby?

First hotfix breaks it guaranteed. Just like the fatal vision ship after they fixed.

Fenrax
Oct 9, 2012

Just got put into a game of clash that started 5v2, matchmaking didn't add any players after that and then we won after the 2 people quit a couple minutes in. I don't understand how the matchmaking is this broken.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fenrax posted:

Just got put into a game of clash that started 5v2, matchmaking didn't add any players after that and then we won after the 2 people quit a couple minutes in. I don't understand how the matchmaking is this broken.

SBMM, too many playlists dividing the population, lull in numbers before a big expansion hits.

Add it all together and you got a shitshow!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CheeseFactory posted:

The only issue is that bungie have said this a few times and it's all just bullshit lies.

I'm positive that they did relax the band from which you're pulling around your skill level. I'm now matching against people I have no right matching with if it's strong sbmm. Unfortunately they are above me lol. I really think it's the sbmm combined with only the hardcore left pvping this dumb game.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I'm positive that they did relax the band from which you're pulling around your skill level. I'm now matching against people I have no right matching with if it's strong sbmm. Unfortunately they are above me lol. I really think it's the sbmm combined with only the hardcore left pvping this dumb game.

The problem is though if they have tweaked it they wont tell you in which playlist. Like when they aidsed control the first time and they lied about doing anything at all. Like their lies about iron banner.

The dumbest thing ever said was to the effect of: it is connection based within a skill range. Making it entirely not connection based.

The annoying thing is why they changed it from the good match making before poe2 dropped. It was still bad but no where near the current level of shitness.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Oh I agree. I went from dropping solo against all diamond level dudes (which is fair but annoying) to now that plus matching up against streamers and poo poo. I think what Bungie did is opened up the top level brackets into a free for all while still protecting the nooblords from anyone good. Basically I'm happy to stay positive when I drop solo and I have to really work for it. (On that note 3v3 freelance has been a hilarious little diversion that's quite a bit different, likely due to retards thinking that good players won't roll solo and that they'll be safe therein).

I'll still drop 1.5-2.2 the second I pull in anyone below me to my team, which is nice, but they still get shat on hard which is lame.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I might give playlist a whirl see if I can actually find a game. There might be a pvp increase once the patch goes out trying out the subclass and weapon tweaks.

Could make a daily a little more viable.

I should have rolled an alt when tlw was available.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Crucible Radio from last week had Deej and Derek Carroll on it, was actually really informative. Deej waxes poetically like he's some kind of video game philosopher but overall lots of good info.

I did think it was interesting how he talked about private matches making the "Bungie bounties" so much better because, as of right now, whenever they do it they end up fighting the same people multiple in the PNW due to the regional connection bias of the matchmaking.

I know everyone will cry bullshit at that but I doubt he made it up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The way match making works put simply is like this:

Bungie has their own internal method of rating your play call it bungie rating.

If youre average at pvp from .7 to 1.1 recent kd with a 50% win loss youre in that middle of the road bungie rating. This is where 75% of the destiny player base probably sits. Where bungie has said they want all players to sit.

Now lets say you zoom into a region. In this "region" you have 1000 guardians. 100 are elite players. 2+ career kd 70% winning %.

250 are dogshit "lol im going to use a sidearm and an unlevelled answering chord to do a rift daily" glue eaters.

650 are the average. They know to slap on a mida and a conspiracy theory at least and play a couple games a week. These are the majority of casual pvp players.

Because that pool is so big if you're in that range the match making will give you 11 other players with decent connection. Why? Because it has 650 guardians to choose from. The liklihood of it finding 11 players with a similar connection to yours is pretty high. You dont get your guts stomped out, you dont stunt on people, you win some, lose some and the connections appear to be fine.

If youre in that top 100 though for instance. The game might find 6 players on when you're searching for a game. If they cant find 5 more in the region they'll just find the next 5 in your skill bracket and dump them into the game. They could be from down the street or from a world away and now you get to deal with their red bar as well as their talent, map knowledge and everything else.

It will also pick one lucky guardian in most instances to be stuck with the morons (usually the highest bungie rated player) while the other 4 better players form up on the other team.

This is why its frustrating for someone in the top % of "bungie rating". It also explains why deej and co get similar players when they run the bungie bounty. They're average as poo poo at pvp and even when they draft in a decent player the average "bungie rating" of the team is still low enough to hit that sweet spot.

Its why my best pvp experiences at rhe moment come when I use a bad players low "bungie rating" to pull my higher one down into the lower skill but larger pool of player bracket where the chances of good connection are higher.

The argument for connection based lobby making is that the pool will be large enough that one poor dude doesnt get stomped day in and out but the better players dont have to deal with so much lag.

Deej also didnt talk about the fact that people synch drop when they run the bounty which given proximity makes it surprisingly easy to hit someone in your skill bracket.

I do it all the time to play against a certain streamer or if someone i see in my friends list is playing game mode.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
That's a good write up

BlindSite posted:

Deej also didnt talk about the fact that people synch drop when they run the bounty which given proximity makes it surprisingly easy to hit someone in your skill bracket.

What is synch drop? I don't know the technical term for how sweaties find each other in game.

I'm after Mark of the Opposing Will but considering how I've rolled Cozmo before lol if I'll ever match Bungie again

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

That's a good write up

What is synch drop? I don't know the technical term for how sweaties find each other in game.

I'm after Mark of the Opposing Will but considering how I've rolled Cozmo before lol if I'll ever match Bungie again

Making sure each fireteam leader is geographically close and joining matchmaking at roughly the same time

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Making sure each fireteam leader is geographically close and joining matchmaking at roughly the same time

Got it. Welp I can't even find them while I'm 100 miles away.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Call of Cholula posted:

Crucible Radio from last week had Deej and Derek Carroll on it, was actually really informative. Deej waxes poetically like he's some kind of video game philosopher but overall lots of good info.

I did think it was interesting how he talked about private matches making the "Bungie bounties" so much better because, as of right now, whenever they do it they end up fighting the same people multiple in the PNW due to the regional connection bias of the matchmaking.

I know everyone will cry bullshit at that but I doubt he made it up.

:3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Call of Cholula posted:

That's great for them when all their bros are living in the same city, but goons are spread all the gently caress over the place. "Regional bias" can't work for most of the player base.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Got it. Welp I can't even find them while I'm 100 miles away.

It's a crap shoot at best

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah I don't know how anyone could ever loving hope to match them let alone win.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
lmao if during the next Bungie Bounty stream they raffle out spots in a private match.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I will defend Crota being the best raid until the day I die:

http://i.imgur.com/lLnLDYP.gifv

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

lmao if during the next Bungie Bounty stream they raffle out spots in a private match.

That's probably exactly what they'll do yeah

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

FishBulb posted:

Looks like we'll have to work a lot harder to try and win while solo dropping.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FishBulb posted:

They'll deffo do this and you have to donate $5 or whatever to the bungie foundation to chat in their twitch

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Neo Helbeast posted:

I will defend Crota being the best raid until the day I die:

http://i.imgur.com/lLnLDYP.gifv

Well that's a new one to me

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

so is there a patch happening thursday or somethin

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

ohrwurm posted:

so is there a patch happening thursday or somethin

Should be happening soon. There is going to be an outage first. I think

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

BlindSite posted:

The way match making works put simply is like this:

This is how I understand it to work as well.

I bought Destiny in January and up until about April / May, shared my account with my friend after she expressed an interest in trying PvP. We'd play in the evenings and swap the controller between matches. At that point I couldn't sympathise with the complaints frequently voiced in this thread regarding laggy players and whatever was going on with the meta. We'd get the occasional red bar but it wasn't very frequent or those players didn't seem to have an advantage.

After my friend got her own copy of the game, things changed. Since she was new to competitive online FPSs, her skill level wasn't as great as mine (I'm not super awesome, I'm just more experienced) so I imagine my account's overall 'Bungie Rating' was suppressed, meaning I got to play games where I could stomp other players and generally the connections were good. Once my account was only played by me, I gradually started playing more skilled players, but I also ended up having a lot more matches where multiple players were registering as having poor connections.

I also noticed that the types of opponents I came up against were becoming more similar -- more warlocks using shotgun / blink/ melee combo; almost all snipers being the Longbow or 1000YS with the TLW as primary, etc. I imagine they just read the Reddit Crucible Handbook and never deviate. To be honest it's made PvP more dull because I'm just fighting the same tactics over and over. I don't care that I'm losing more, it's less fun to play against the same builds and weapons all the time. That's the real problem with Destiny PvP right now: lack of variety.

We'll see if this patch induces any behaviour changes.

So I guess my tip is to not get too good at PvP because the experience gets worse as you get better?

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

runwiled posted:

This is how I understand it to work as well.

I bought Destiny in January and up until about April / May, shared my account with my friend after she expressed an interest in trying PvP. We'd play in the evenings and swap the controller between matches. At that point I couldn't sympathise with the complaints frequently voiced in this thread regarding laggy players and whatever was going on with the meta. We'd get the occasional red bar but it wasn't very frequent or those players didn't seem to have an advantage.

After my friend got her own copy of the game, things changed. Since she was new to competitive online FPSs, her skill level wasn't as great as mine (I'm not super awesome, I'm just more experienced) so I imagine my account's overall 'Bungie Rating' was suppressed, meaning I got to play games where I could stomp other players and generally the connections were good. Once my account was only played by me, I gradually started playing more skilled players, but I also ended up having a lot more matches where multiple players were registering as having poor connections.

I also noticed that the types of opponents I came up against were becoming more similar -- more warlocks using shotgun / blink/ melee combo; almost all snipers being the Longbow or 1000YS with the TLW as primary, etc. I imagine they just read the Reddit Crucible Handbook and never deviate. To be honest it's made PvP more dull because I'm just fighting the same tactics over and over. I don't care that I'm losing more, it's less fun to play against the same builds and weapons all the time. That's the real problem with Destiny PvP right now: lack of variety.

We'll see if this patch induces any behaviour changes.

So I guess my tip is to not get too good at PvP because the experience gets worse as you get better?

Bunge thinks this is fun though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CheeseFactory posted:

Bunge thinks this is fun though.

I mean they're kind of stuck, because they want everyone to have fun but also cannot or will not add dedicated servers and ranked play, which would alleviate the lag issues and allow skill based matchmaking to actually be viable in things like Trials. Until they do those things they're stuck because of the zero-sum nature of the game. For you, a PVP god, to have a 5.0 k/d game against me, by definition I had an abysmal sub 1.0 k/d, and the game is designed to be primarily fun when you're winning. It's the basic trap every competitive FPS falls into.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
They should bring back the element type stuff on primary's , that was pretty good fun, getting a primary with a damage type you didnt have and being pushed to run PvP with that gun you werent so sure of

Ive basically used MIDA and nothing else since they pulled it int Y2 and i find it impossible to use anything else, i try using stuff in PvP and i just get mashed for an hour and switch back. The main reason is to maintain my impressive 0.98KDR.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hitchensgoespop posted:

They should bring back the element type stuff on primary's , that was pretty good fun, getting a primary with a damage type you didnt have and being pushed to run PvP with that gun you werent so sure of

Elements have no effect in PVP :confused:

They should probably add solar and void primary exotics just because it's weird that there's only an arc primary now, but they wanted to move away from a handful of weapons being head and shoulders above all the rest for PVE.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

Elements have no effect in PVP :confused:

They should probably add solar and void primary exotics just because it's weird that there's only an arc primary now, but they wanted to move away from a handful of weapons being head and shoulders above all the rest for PVE.

yeah, but using stuff in PvE kinda gets you used to PvP, it shortens the learning curve slightly

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Matching elements to enemy subclasses does more damage like a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
This game is so dead. Can't get a PVP match with full teams no matter what. Super lame.

• Locked thread