Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
So apparently Tragedy Looper: Cosmic Evil is showing off that good ol' ZMAN quality control.

The summary sheet (i.e. the thing what makes the game work) that comes with the box has several major errors. There's a revised version of the sheet tucked away in ZMAN's Downloads page...which STILL has errors.

(It's worth noting for those who missed it, the Midnight Circle expansion also came with a botched summary sheet, which had to be revised online, and said revised version ALSO still contains translation errors.)

Also, at least one of the prewritten scenarios is fundamentally broken (warning for CE script 2 spoilers), and likely unwinnable by the Mastermind.

Basically, ZMAN games can't find its rear end with both hands and I hope Asmodee fires everyone for grotesque incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MikeCrotch posted:

Are

Are you simultaneously getting into COIN, ASL and 18xx

I think i'd be less concerned if I found out you were doing krokodil on the reg

My friend, I didn't choose the Grog life. The Grog life chose me.

Also I'm not that "into" COIN, I only have a couple of the games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I can quit any time I want

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Thanks everyone for the five player game suggestions. I'd forgotten about a lot of the stuff that came out because I hadn't really been paying attention for a bit and that leaves me with quite the list. I did actually already have BSG which is great, if an ungainly and kinda fugly great. I ended up picking up Dogs of War for now, mostly because while it looks very uninspiring, the reviews are outstanding and it's a bit unlike anything else we regularly play.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

MikeCrotch posted:

Are

Are you simultaneously getting into COIN, ASL and 18xx

I think i'd be less concerned if I found out you were doing krokodil on the reg

Wargaming with a krokodil, however, I can heartily recommend.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Guarantees someone to play Diskwars with

poo poo I should probably pick that up before it possibly goes OOP. What if the FFG/GW rumors are just a plot to get us to buy their stuff ASAP :tinfoil:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

StashAugustine posted:

Guarantees someone to play Diskwars with

No, you're thinking of chloroform.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well, guess I went and did it and finished my collection of Yomi characters. I even bought Argagarg. I feel dirty.

EDIT: No gutterowl, I didn't get the EX expansion.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Thanks everyone for the five player game suggestions. I'd forgotten about a lot of the stuff that came out because I hadn't really been paying attention for a bit and that leaves me with quite the list. I did actually already have BSG which is great, if an ungainly and kinda fugly great. I ended up picking up Dogs of War for now, mostly because while it looks very uninspiring, the reviews are outstanding and it's a bit unlike anything else we regularly play.

Dogs of War is probably the only actually good game CMoN has ever made.

Modern Art is a lot of fun with 5 also. As are Keyflower and Orleans.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

minute posted:

Dogs of War is probably the only actually good game CMoN has ever made.

Guilds of Cadwallon and World of Smog.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We're playing two player Leaving Earth today for the first time. Anything I should know going in?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Played a game of Signorie.

Struck me as a combo of Castles of Burgundy's dice actions, Trajan's "work on these unconnected sections to get points", and of all things, Goa's tech tree.

I liked it, but I think I like each of those three games better for doing their individual things better.

The main new thing is for the dice, there's 5 colors, you can take one of each die, each are associated with an action or set of randomized mini actions or adding a bonus onto a different action. The key is that the total die total can't exceed 13 (it can, but there's a large bonus at the end of the round if you are below that), and higher dice let you do your actions cheaper and get better bonuses, but again, count towards that 13. It was interesting, certainly, and I liked the game. Would play again.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm going to have to teach Cuba Libre this Sunday without having played it. In this case I usually use YouTube videos, but there is no Watch It Played for Cuba Libre. Instead there's two random 45 minute videos by people who seem to jump right in without explaining much.

I don't have any interest in playing a mock game by myself solo. Are there any other alternatives to watching these videos?

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Jedit posted:

Guilds of Cadwallon and World of Smog.

Oh I've never even heard of those. It's just nearly all of their kickstarters seem like really shallow dice fests which are carried by the minis.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Megasabin posted:

I'm going to have to teach Cuba Libre this Sunday without having played it. In this case I usually use YouTube videos, but there is no Watch It Played for Cuba Libre. Instead there's two random 45 minute videos by people who seem to jump right in without explaining much.

I don't have any interest in playing a mock game by myself solo. Are there any other alternatives to watching these videos?
I made a Cuba Libre LP a long time ago if you have archives.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Guilds of Cadwallon is pretty good. I enjoyed Blood Rage when I played that too. Kaosball was a neat idea but could have done with more support and balancing, some teams are notably better/worse than others.

Zombicide is okay but it's in an over used theme. Black Plague improves it slightly. Better than most Zombie games but that's hardly a difficult goal.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

IIRC this lost the second half of the thread for some reason

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013
Hey all, few questions.

Where do you generally stock up on sleeves, and what is your go to card sleeve? I've been partial to ultra pro's from playing magic but if there's a better option i'm open to it.

Also, I just traded for a copy of Star Wars: Rebellion and one of the tie fighters wings is broken. Is it worth trying to contact FFG and see if I could get a replacement?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Mayday Premium sleeves are my go-to but everyone here hates them so :shrug:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Jedit posted:

Lewis and Clark runs way too long at 5, not a bit long.

And Rococo is too crowded at 5, whoever goes last is severely hampered.
I have never played Lewis & Clark, I was only asking about Rococo; sorry if that was unclear.

And Rococo does give the first player an advantage, but it's a slight one imo. Basically, they get first dibs on the cheap Fountain spots. Then somebody picks up the Queen's Favor later on and they're no longer going first, unless everybody just ignores that, which is something I have yet to see in a game. And the last player will still get good resource or employee picks even if they miss out on Fountain and Favor. Like being the first to two dresses or whatever.

Basically, considering the directly player-determined turn order for subsequent turns and the sheer amount of stuff to spend actions on, I think you're overstating how big a deal first turn order is.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

I have never played Lewis & Clark, I was only asking about Rococo; sorry if that was unclear.

And Rococo does give the first player an advantage, but it's a slight one imo. Basically, they get first dibs on the cheap Fountain spots. Then somebody picks up the Queen's Favor later on and they're no longer going first, unless everybody just ignores that, which is something I have yet to see in a game. And the last player will still get good resource or employee picks even if they miss out on Fountain and Favor. Like being the first to two dresses or whatever.

Basically, considering the directly player-determined turn order for subsequent turns and the sheer amount of stuff to spend actions on, I think you're overstating how big a deal first turn order is.

I don't think he just means at the start of the game - I find that even with 4, taking Queen's Favor is extremely important, mostly because how bad it is to go last in a round. Chances are the employee you want will be bought, the dress you want to make will be made... your options just get severely reduced. At 5, this is exacerbated even more.

I still think the game is good at 5, but I don't deny that I think going last in a round is an extremely bad thing to have happen to you.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

dblankenship81 posted:

Hey all, few questions.

Where do you generally stock up on sleeves, and what is your go to card sleeve? I've been partial to ultra pro's from playing magic but if there's a better option i'm open to it.

I get my sleeves from Miniature Market or Coolstuffinc, they are twice the price everywhere else.

Fantasy Flight sleeves are expensive but they are the best I've found. They are thick and the dimensions are consistent. Ultra Pro is good too if you don't mind the little logo on every sleeve.

Ultimate Guard and Mayday are both too thin. Mayday "premium" are thicker but they have poor quality control and the dimensions are noticeably different from pack to pack.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

dblankenship81 posted:

Hey all, few questions.

Also, I just traded for a copy of Star Wars: Rebellion and one of the tie fighters wings is broken. Is it worth trying to contact FFG and see if I could get a replacement?

For some reason on Amazon most sleeves are sold at above MSRP, so definitely not there.
The next question to "what's the best sleeve?" is "what are you sleeving?"
My mental checklist for sleeving goes something like this:
How likely are these cards to show wear during normal gameplay?
How important is it that these cards do not show wear?
How unpleasant will it be to replace these?

If it's a deckbuilder like Dominion where you're shuffling many, many times in the game, you're going to see a lot of wear. It will ruin the game for you, because the wear will be disproportionately high on the cards that are always in your deck like estates and copper. Replacement for Dominion is not bad for the money/victory cards, because they're sold separately. I chose to sleeve them in the Fantasy Flight euro sleeves, because they fit super nicely and make it easier to do the tons and tons of shuffling required.

On a game like Codenames, why bother? The game is in print and it's like $15 so who cares if the cards get worn.

I didn't sleeve Sushi Go! either, because it's cheap to replace and the cards are printed on that nice thick plastic like playing cards.

Yeah, FFG is real good about replacements for X-Wing miniatures, I'm sure they'd hook you up for the Rebellion piece.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

burger time posted:

I don't think he just means at the start of the game - I find that even with 4, taking Queen's Favor is extremely important, mostly because how bad it is to go last in a round. Chances are the employee you want will be bought, the dress you want to make will be made... your options just get severely reduced. At 5, this is exacerbated even more.

I still think the game is good at 5, but I don't deny that I think going last in a round is an extremely bad thing to have happen to you.

That's exactly what I mean. But you're also overlooking that the player who goes last in a 5-player game is often unable to buy the Favour as well because someone else took it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

canyoneer posted:

I didn't sleeve Sushi Go! either, because it's cheap to replace and the cards are printed on that nice thick plastic like playing cards.

I'll be sleeving Sushi Go! as soon as I can as the cards started to wear noticeably almost immediately.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dblankenship81 posted:

Hey all, few questions.

I like KMC sleeves a lot, also introduced to them through magic. For most standard-size board game cards I just use perfect fits which are sort of their version of penny sleeves, but they're cut very narrow and relatively high quality. You can get 1000 for like $22 on Amazon. I used to use them for double sleeving legacy/vintage/modern stuff since they fit very well under a normally cut sleeve.

Their various hyper matte, super, silky, etc are more akin to a normal tcg sleeve and are also nice, but more expensive obviously. I think if you buy in bulk, you can get like 600 for $30-40. They also make other cuts for different card sizes, but I haven't sleeves anything non-standard yet. I prefer the hyper matte line.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Tekopo posted:

Sweet. Do you have a link?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Potomac Distribution is great for buying sleeves in bulk as well.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Anyone find a good sleeve for the large cards in Scythe? Mayday has a bundle but they're all sold out and from what I can tell online FFG doesn't make a sleeve that'd fit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Clanpot Shake posted:

Anyone find a good sleeve for the large cards in Scythe? Mayday has a bundle but they're all sold out and from what I can tell online FFG doesn't make a sleeve that'd fit.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/item/4213476#item4213476

It's a good geeklist to bookmark.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Sorry for asking a question which I'm almost certain was answered dozens of pages ago, but it just came back in stock at CSI and I'm curious how Blood Rage plays with two. The theme and mechanics would probably be perfect for me and my regular gaming buddy, but I worry that the game probably lends itself far better to 3/4 player play than 1v1.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Holy poo poo this is amazing, thanks.

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013
Will look into Mayday Premium / FFG / KMC sleeves. I'm partial deck builders and could likely go pro with how much my friends and I play Smashup, and to a lesser extent Ashes, so there's lots of shuffling going on.

Has anyone tried the new Miniature Market sleeves? They gave me a sampler pack when I picked up the most recent Smashup xpac but I haven't tried them out yet.

Just recently made an account on BGG after mostly just looking at their hot list. Any other threads I should bookmark?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Aside from Mayday sleeves being inconsistent garbage, they're also the company that was selling defective returned Crokinole boards as new. Don't give them money.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/139427/mayday-games-cautionary-tale

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Is there a board/tabletop game *design* thread or is it encompassed here?

I'm working on an idea about being stranded in space/having to compete against limited air supply while you try to race other players to power up an escape module before a huge solar flare kills you all. Basically think "Gravity" but as a board game... the mechanics hinge heavily on risk-reward and planning to have enough air to go do an objective, then come back, with different objectives having different levels of risk.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 8, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

strangemusic posted:

There is, but it moves pretty slow, and is like 80% people talking to themselves. (To be fair, I'm guilty of this too.)

Let me save you some agony: Have something concrete to post before you post there. A prototype, a playtest document, pictures, something to actually comment on. "So I have an idea" posts are dirt common and universally ignored.

Tekopo posted:

Well, guess I went and did it and finished my collection of Yomi characters. I even bought Argagarg. I feel dirty.

EDIT: No gutterowl, I didn't get the EX expansion.

Then where are you keeping the decks???? Are you just letting them lie loose on your shelf, like some layabout vandal? What if the Queen visits and sees such disarray?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

There is, but it moves pretty slow, and is like 80% people talking to themselves. (To be fair, I'm guilty of this too.)

Let me save you some agony: Have something concrete to post before you post there. A prototype, a playtest document, pictures, something to actually comment on. "So I have an idea" posts are dirt common and universally ignored.

Then where are you keeping the decks???? Are you just letting them lie loose on your shelf, like some layabout vandal? What if the Queen visits and sees such disarray?
In the round 1/2 boxes, of course.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

burger time posted:

Sure, but after first round who knows what place in the turn order the original last player will be in? I agree with Jedit that it's unlikely they'll be able to get the Favor themselves, but they may still wind up in second or third place and then have the opportunity to get the Favor in round two.
Unless of course the first player hogs the Favor, but then they're always going last and playing an action down for 5 Livre per round.

And in the first round, the main factor contributing to first player advantage to me are the cheap Fountain spots, which admittedly have long-term consequences. Potentially also getting the best resource tiles.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Sweet. Do you have a link?
here it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

strangemusic posted:

I'm working on an idea about being stranded in space/having to compete against limited air supply while you try to race other players to power up an escape module before a huge solar flare kills you all. Basically think "Gravity" but as a board game... the mechanics hinge heavily on risk-reward and planning to have enough air to go do an objective, then come back, with different objectives having different levels of risk.

Sounds like a potentially good version of Sucking Vacuum.