Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i use earpods almost exclusively. they're perfectly adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I use five Buck panasonics they suit my needs and when they gently caress out after twelve months I pony up another fiver for another set

long live my lovely apparently water resistant with a 3.5 jack phone even though I have no intention of submerging it in water except for that one time that I did [I was listening to sweet beats on my phone while I was cleaning our swimming pool]

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

and you know, water makes fools of us all in the end

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

madeupfred posted:

i've used bluetooth headsets and wireless headphones before and i think they're great! but all the advantages of those discrete units is lost when you scale them down to the earbud level. to begin with, the two earbuds aren't connected which opens up a whole slew of concerns, like what happens if just one of them breaks or gets lost or whatever? i'm not much for gambling, but knowing apple, the answer will probably be "buy another pair". but then again, you're spending $160 for audio quality that is not appreciably better than the free headphones that came out of any of the other iphones you've bought in the past, which you would have been fine with using had apple not removed the audio jack. the battery life on the air buds is shorter than what one expects from bt headsets even though it's much better than other bt earbuds. combine all that with the fact that apple's not puting them in the box of every new iphone 7 and i don't know man, i just don't think Air Buddies The Touchdown Pups is going to take the world by storm.

where is this post from

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

triple sulk posted:

"Uncle at Nintendo" User loses posting privileges for 100,000 hours.

:gizz:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pissflaps posted:

where is this post from

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3731436&perpage=40&pagenumber=409#post464019065

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
extraordinary

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

just like the new iPhone

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

madeupfred posted:

who is the market for in ear bluetooth earbuds, ESPECIALLY proprietary earbuds that will only work on two devices AND comes at the cost of a headphone jack????

AFAIK they aren't proprietary and will work with anything that supports Bluetooth audio. And you can always just use cheaper BT headphones if you want.

The benefit of the AirPods over other BT headphones seems to be that Apple designed a BT audio chip that isn't garbage.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is this debate the new dubs v subs

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Doc Block posted:

AFAIK they aren't proprietary and will work with anything that supports Bluetooth audio. And you can always just use cheaper BT headphones if you want.

The benefit of the AirPods over other BT headphones seems to be that Apple designed a BT audio chip that isn't garbage.

has anybody said that the Russians just used a pencil?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

has anybody said that the Russians just used a pencil?

they did

lol at the onion

"Tennessee is known as "The Volunteer State" in recognition of the state's shockingly low-wage jobs."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Apple unveiled the iPhone 7 at a press event Wednesday. Here are some of the smartphone’s new features:

Looks more impressive twirling inside white void during video demonstration

No longer required to dial 9 before making outside call

Put together by a child

Preloaded with 5,000 unread work emails

Lets user set which government agency their data funneled to

New retina display that can only be fully appreciated after laser surgery to enhance vision beyond capabilities of human eyes

Siri will no longer refer to Russia as the U.S.S.R.

Can get a case for it, if you want

Will combust if in the presence of wires

Glass now fractures into even smaller, sharper pieces

Exclusively compatible with Cricket Wireless

Expiration date printed on back allows easy disposal before next iPhone released

http://www.theonion.com/infographic/features-new-iphone-7-53904

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

iOS has had adblock for a while now shameful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

zen death robot posted:

echi you getting a 7+

if i know him he'll go for a series of used 4's and 5's

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I want to know about the farmers who I didn't know we're lesbians

e. thanks for the apostrophe, iOS auto correct

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you do know me

currently rocking a used 5s

I see no reason to upgrade until at least idk ios12?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cameras are usually frowned upon at orgies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"i just spend half a grand on a new phone"

*flawless picture of a potato salad uploaded to instagram*

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
tbh it is kinda funny to see people act like Apple is killing something that's been around forever - one of the main things that differentiated the iPhone 3G was the fact that it had a 3.5mm audio jack at all. outside of smartphones or a handful of 'music phones' the overwhelming majority of cell phones either had 2.5mm audio jacks or required a dongle through their accessory/charging port or something else.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had one of those sony candybars with all the adapters and poo poo ughhhh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
my only concern about the new iphones is the home button

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Apple stans are so easy to rook I'll tell you what

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

uncurable mlady posted:

tbh it is kinda funny to see people act like Apple is killing something that's been around forever - one of the main things that differentiated the iPhone 3G was the fact that it had a 3.5mm audio jack at all. outside of smartphones or a handful of 'music phones' the overwhelming majority of cell phones either had 2.5mm audio jacks or required a dongle through their accessory/charging port or something else.

prior to the iphone the overwhelming majority of cell phones weren't also marketed as multimedia consumption devices

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sagebrush posted:

So just out of curiosity do the new wired lightning headphones have an internal DAC, like everyone is saying will be the big stupid audiophile advantage to having headphones only connectable through the lightning port? Or do they still use the iPhone's internal DAC and pass the audio out as analog signal on some of the unused pins?

I bet it's the latter

yeah I'm pretty sure its the latter but external dacs continue to be an option for weirdos. there's been 3 unused pins on the lightning connector since forever, it was pretty clear to me where they were going with it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

:eyepop:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Pissflaps posted:

my only concern about the new iphones is the home button

if it's anything like the force touch trackpad it'll be better in every way

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

uncurable mlady posted:

Yeah and the dongles sucked rear end then and they suck rear end now, esp since now there is no option for charging while listening to headphones at all, a very common use case for a modern smartphone.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Remember $oldtimeyproduct? It was bad, so this new bad thing is ok i guess!!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Iphone 7S to require landline and quarters, hey guys payphones were ok so what's the big deal?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pinterest Mom posted:

idk why people are mad, apple is shipping a $49 adapter that lets you use legacy earphones while charging

yeah, odds on that any 3rd party battery case released will have something like this built in.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

i had one of those sony candybars with all the adapters and poo poo ughhhh

walkman w810i supremacy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pinterest Mom posted:

idk why people are mad, apple is shipping a $49 adapter that lets you use legacy earphones while charging

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there's going to be inexpensive 3rd party adapters inside a month that fork audio from the data/power pins who gives a poo poo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

there's going to be inexpensive 3rd party adapters inside a month that fork audio from the data/power pins who gives a poo poo

advocation of the use of cheap dongles and splitters? poo poo, is this the anroid lol thread?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

It's the same issue i had with the new macbook, if they had put a second usb c /lightning port, it would be fine, you could charge in one port and use devices/headphones on the other. This poo poo with one single port is just clownshoes.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
macbook has a headphone jack though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

fleshweasel posted: