Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Demon_Corsair posted:

Really? drat it. I have a few ui tweak mods for fonts and font sizes since I play on my TV.

Guess there is no point bothering with Ironman I guess.

UI tweaks usually don't mess with achievement capabilities, I use one that makes the font bloody readable, and another that puts in two extra slots for the intrigue list, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I don't bother with Ironman since while I don't savescum, I do misclick often enough that I prefer being able to reload when I make a mistake. Also there's still a lot of game mechanics I don't fully understand, so it's nice to be able to save, click on something to see what it does, then reload.

I also don't use mods except for a couple really basic UI mods, mainly because I haven't bothered finding out which ones are good and what all is involved in setting them up, and it's one less thing to potentially break.

I'm probably missing out on some cool stuff though.

Edit: I do lock the game to a single game version for the duration of a campaign though, so I don't need to worry about mods getting broken by game updates while I'm playing, so that should simplify things.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 7, 2016

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm just getting into this game and I have a couple of newbie questions. I watched the Arumba videos and I'm trying the same thing the dude did - starting in the 800s as an Irish duke and trying to become king of the bogs.

First, revoking the title of my bishop and running it myself didn't actually work the way it did in the video. When I did it I received no taxes (as opposed to the 25% in the video) and no levies. The garrison sat at zero, but would jump up to like sixteen or so each month for about a half second before going back to none. What is causing this?

Second, fabricating a claim and invading flat-out destroyed me every time due to the target duke's alliances. I invade, and multiple 2500+ armies would swoop in and murder the hell out of everything. I tried to combat this with alliances of my own (with West Francia) but when the time came I couldn't call to arms. It said that the offending reason was that it wasn't a war the King was able to fight for some reason. How can I actually take over these places without the entire world murdering me, and why do alliances seem to work for the AI dukes but not me?

1) paradox nerfed "north korea mode" (revoking all your vassals' titles so you can punch way above your weight) so that wrong-type holdings (cities, temples as christian feudal) dont give you any money or troops. i miss it, but it was ridiculously OP.

2) i'm not sure what was going on with your alliance but i've never had any issues with calling allies to war. pick your battles more wisely, smash some schlub who doesnt have any allies before attacking someone with multiple alliances. you can see what alliances they might have in the enemy ruler character screen, i believe under the tab "abroad"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jihad update: The caliph is based in Baghdad, so I would probably have a tough time wading troops all the way over there to gently caress with him.

I called England in as an ally but the HRE said no (wtf? "We like your enemies too much"). Those were my only two official allies - are other people gonna join in anyway or is it just gonna be me and England vs the muslim world?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tried a new Karen game on a whim, and it's actually going very well. Took Khiva by marching my event troops towards it, declaring war the day before they hit it, then taking out some of his scattered, partial-morale stacks before they consolidated while my own levies came in to help. Started a plot to kill Nasr so my truce ends faster and got two of his wives in on it, then took Tabaristan from the Alavids since for some reason the Abbasids didn't declare war on them.

While I was fighting them, Ya'qub died of smallpox, leaving the Saffarids ruled by a baby, 0 years old. The Tahirids weren't even conquered yet, and slowly, the war started to turn back in their favor. Then I got a notice (since I marked both Ya'qub and Nasr as important) that Nasr married a "Touran" from the Saffarid Shahdom, and then they formed an alliance. At first I thought this was bad, since I'd have to fight both. But this pulled the Samanids into the war against the Tahirids, and I had a realization: If they're fighting against the Tahirids, that means they can't come to their defense like they usually do when I try to go for Khorasan instead of Khiva as my first target in Karen games. So, declared war for Khorasan and got three of its provinces (the Samanids managed to siege Tus before I got there, and Birjand starts under Saffarid control) with no trouble. As a bonus, the Samanids and Saffarids broke their alliance off before I even finished taking the Tahirid land, so all it accomplished was giving me an uncontested run at the Tahirids. As a bonus, despite me taking this land the Tahirids still seem to be reversing the war; while the warscore was at 67% or so when Ya'qub died, now it's down to 10%, despite the Samanid aid.

After this, I decided to take a look at Layth, Ya'qub's infant son, because I was curious. Mousing over his mother's name, I saw she was called "Touran". Recognizing the name, I clicked her, and discovered that, yes, she's the same one who's now married to Nasr. The Samanid regent went and married off the king's mother, wife of the former ruler, to some jackass for an alliance that lasted about a year, maybe, and that got nothing or outright backfired on all involved. Also Nasr hates her because she cheated on him apparently. Sadly she doesn't hate him back; I'd love to get her in on the plot to assassinate him.

Still, I love how this game goes sometimes. This kind of stuff reminds me of the good parts of Game of Thrones.

Now, since most of my neighbors have truces still (hasn't even been a decade since I first kicked Nasr's rear end, or since I started actually) and I'm not interested in taking the crappy tribal land to my north, I'm thinking of declaring war on the Saffarids and taking Kerman from them. Does anyone know if attacking them will bring the Samanids in? Their alliance is over and their military is still hosed, but they're still stuck helping the Saffarids against the Tahirids so I don't know if declaring on the Saffarids will immediately make the Samanids hostile or not.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 8, 2016

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I gotta say, I am starting to do the 'anathema' thing now and stacking all my baronies in one province because of the sheer amount of +levy size things you can get with the prosperity system now.

In my Zunbil game, I literally have a 20k army just from my cap province. :stare:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I got the +50% galleys one the other night in my Viking feudal run so now I can have even bigger raiding parties!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

I took to devouring them because that didn't give the tyranny penalty.

They might hate me for being a crazy cannibal, but they would have hated me more for executing 8+ traitors traditionally.

respect the environment by using every part of the traitor

Extropist
Apr 26, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tried my hand as Saxony and you really have to rely on Charlemagne not deciding to invade.

In my first attempt Charles died in battle against some rando pretty early and Karloman of disease not long after. While this was happening I was subjugating the Danes and building up in preparation for my son subjugating Ragnar who had already formed Sweden. Then of course the broken and dysfunctional Karling realm was united under one flag again and the 8 year old kid in charge decided to invade and take over which he very easily did but I was already planning a planned invasion of him, when his realm had been much smaller and racked by rebellions, but somehow the preparations did not stop once I became his vassal and I kept getting new men but couldn't actually declare the war. Then Widukind happened and absolutely steamrolled Saxony and left with me without any lands and thus I lost.

The second attempt was about the same only less dramatic since shortly after the Franks curb stomped me I died heirless from being really old and crippled. My heir had gotten himself killed a long time ago and I had tried to not have any more kids since I wanted to avoid gavelkind splitting everything up too soon.

If the Karls invade, it's not the end of the world as long as you have established a quick subjugation - I grab the big fat Sjaelland chiefdom and conquer Denmark ASAP. This will help you with some vassals, and it will win you some fast prestige. Hopefully you'll get some prisoners out of it, too - in my current game, I got lucky and managed to grab the title holders for Sjaelland and released other prisoners before sacrificing the whole clan at Thorsmas but it's not really necessary to do that. The free prestige and army+vassal opinion buff are what you want. The big thing to keep in mind is that the Frankish doom stack, if that's how they try and roll, will fall apart from attrition very, very quickly - if their forces are smaller, you can hold and force them to fight across the Elbe. They might siege down some counties but whatever. You can afford to play hopscotch with your tribes, since they're easy to siege back and the AI doesn't seem willing to build forts that early into the game (it may not be able to afford to, not sure though.) After you survive your first war with them, you can use your chancellor to try and sow disunity among the Franks. Raid them, too, and just do anything you can to in the interim to mess with them while gobbling up nearby tribes.

In my current game (successfully defended as above a few times, but my republic converted to a feudal government on succession once, and had some other similar succession issues besides), I'm still running with ol' Theo (he had an out of karmic cycle experience), and managed to establish a Merchant Republic to dominate Baltic trade. Widukind never showed up, or if he did I guess maybe I didn't notice among some other fights that broke out regarding tribal organization and cultural differences. Never reformed the religion, though, just bit the bullet and converted to Catholicism.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

With the Conclave DLC, do you still need to appoint a guardian for a child when it turns 6, or does the Focus system completely replace that mechanic?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

With the Conclave DLC, do you still need to appoint a guardian for a child when it turns 6, or does the Focus system completely replace that mechanic?

Guardians will be appointed automatically, but they don't have as big an influence as they used to. The only thing a guardian does is that during the 12-16 education they can sometimes influence what adult traits their childhood traits will lead to. Sometimes it lets you pick a better trait than they were going to get, other times it's just a choice between two roughly equal options, and sometimes the kid will just ignore the trait you chose and take the default anyway.

You can still manually assign guardians for the relations boost, or if you want to convert the kid's culture/religion with the heritage focus.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The only thing an educator will do before age 12 is attempt to convert their religion/culture if you have Faith or Heritage picked.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

In addition to what has already been written, a guardian with 3 or more high stats may choose to teach their ward to be Ambitious, at the expense of said ward becoming their Rival. This means a good ruler can guarantee that their relatives become ambitous, if you're willing to risk the problems of your heir(s) hating you. IME, that's usually a manageable problem, so long as you only do it with your heir and your spare, or if you're playing a republic, with your male dynasts. Edit: You don't have to pick that option, though, so there's no inherent risk in being the guardian of your family members.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Guardians will be appointed automatically, but they don't have as big an influence as they used to. The only thing a guardian does is that during the 12-16 education they can sometimes influence what adult traits their childhood traits will lead to. Sometimes it lets you pick a better trait than they were going to get, other times it's just a choice between two roughly equal options, and sometimes the kid will just ignore the trait you chose and take the default anyway.

Note that you only get the chance to pick a different trait if you have that trait yourself. The child then has a choice between getting that trait or keeping the original trait. The AI has 50-50 chance for both of these, so an AI child with an AI guardian has only a 25% chance of the trait being replaced. It's also not always a better trait, for example I got an event where I could have tried to make my daughter proud instead of brave today.

Not sure on the details here, but the guardian can also give them one of ambitious, patient and diligent. Caustic Soda just explained ambitious, diligent gives the guardian stressed (and is unavailable if already stressed), and patient gives the guardian -2 to most (all?) stats for five years, also unavailable if the guardian already has the modifier.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Caustic Soda posted:

In addition to what has already been written, a guardian with 3 or more high stats may choose to teach their ward to be Ambitious, at the expense of said ward becoming their Rival. This means a good ruler can guarantee that their relatives become ambitous, if you're willing to risk the problems of your heir(s) hating you. IME, that's usually a manageable problem, so long as you only do it with your heir and your spare, or if you're playing a republic, with your male dynasts. Edit: You don't have to pick that option, though, so there's no inherent risk in being the guardian of your family members.

There's a few other "extra" traits you can give them for a cost. You can give them diligent in exchange for you becoming stressed, or patient in exchange for a temporary trait "out of patience" for you that gives -2 to all your stats (I think it wears off in 5 years? Maybe 2). If you have exceptionally high stats sometimes you get extra choices, like high intrigue letting you give them cynical or deceitful.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Caustic Soda posted:

You can also use it to imprison/execute/etc your heirs you don't like!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

axeil posted:

You can also use it to imprison/execute/etc your heirs you don't like!

Or if you have high PCS you can switch to War focus and duel them. You'll get Kinslayer and everyone will hate you for a while, but you can sure as hell prune more retards with a broadsword.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Now it all makes sense, thanks everyone!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi! i just started playing this game. Any guide or tips for a newbie? Thanks!!!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Did decadence invasions get buffed this patch? Last patch? I know the Shia uprising seems to have been, and successful decadence revolts fire a global notification event now, but I've never seen anything like this before:

It's only been ~150 years or so and the Abbablob has been totalled. Those are top level titles. Persia is on its third dynasty.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
One thing that I noticed in my current game is that rebels seems to be a lot less common.

I'm +- 150 years into the game and so far I had like 2 rebellions

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorGonzo posted:

Hi! i just started playing this game. Any guide or tips for a newbie? Thanks!!!

Eat your family

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Parallax Scroll posted:

I don't bother with Ironman since while I don't savescum, I do misclick often enough that I prefer being able to reload when I make a mistake. Also there's still a lot of game mechanics I don't fully understand, so it's nice to be able to save, click on something to see what it does, then reload.

I also don't use mods except for a couple really basic UI mods, mainly because I haven't bothered finding out which ones are good and what all is involved in setting them up, and it's one less thing to potentially break.

I'm probably missing out on some cool stuff though.

It's literally just a matter of going onto the workshop, clicking 'subscribe' on stuff you like, then clicking more boxes in the launcher. You usually have to combine mods that obviously don't go together (like two overhaul mods, e.g. HIP and CK2+) for it to break. I encourage you to check this poo poo out! I have no idea how you guys have been playing CK2 vanilla for all these years and haven't gotten bored yet.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Well, the answer is that it's probably one of the best drat games out right now!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nutranurse posted:

It's literally just a matter of going onto the workshop, clicking 'subscribe' on stuff you like, then clicking more boxes in the launcher. You usually have to combine mods that obviously don't go together (like two overhaul mods, e.g. HIP and CK2+) for it to break. I encourage you to check this poo poo out! I have no idea how you guys have been playing CK2 vanilla for all these years and haven't gotten bored yet.

All mods I've tried (CK2+, HIP, Game of Thrones) changed the game mechanics in ways that just didn't seem really better and often felt wrong and improvised, and almost always made the game less stable. Or where just plain boring (GoT)

So I stick with vanilla

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

All mods I've tried (CK2+, HIP, Game of Thrones) changed the game mechanics in ways that just didn't seem really better and often felt wrong and improvised, and almost always made the game less stable. Or where just plain boring (GoT)

So I stick with vanilla

Did you try the After the End Mod?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently some guy on Reddit has come up with a Random World Generator. That is; a mod that crafts a new map, tiles, and topography in addition to a generator that creates a new timeline and religions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/51pod5/random_history_map_generator_for_ck2/

Of all the mods that have come and gone since release; this is easily the most ambitious.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I love the new optimization so much because it means I can actually play HIP without it running like molasses. Plus they got rid of all the stupid oases on the map which is nice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

YouTuber posted:

So apparently some guy on Reddit has come up with a Random World Generator. That is; a mod that crafts a new map, tiles, and topography in addition to a generator that creates a new timeline and religions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/51pod5/random_history_map_generator_for_ck2/

Of all the mods that have come and gone since release; this is easily the most ambitious.

Jesus Christ Alive, I was impressed enough when I saw this and it was generating random dynasties and countries and stuff, but full on random mapgen is completely insane and incredible.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Getting into this game through EU4, so I have dumb newbie questions:

I'm starting as the two-province Irish minor in 769 (don't remember the name) and it looks like I'm immediately crippled by having two bishops with poo poo stats on my council as chancellor and marshal. What's the most efficient way to get rid of them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elotana posted:

I'm starting as the two-province Irish minor in 769 (don't remember the name) and it looks like I'm immediately crippled by having two bishops with poo poo stats on my council as chancellor and marshal. What's the most efficient way to get rid of them?

You can fire and replace them right away, can't you?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Elotana posted:

Murder. Just plot to kill them, that solves 90%of CK2 problems.

As you already realized Chancellor and Marshal are the most important council position in the beginning, but if you're only a duke or count, your "powerful vassals" will actually be only barons, bishops or mayors with 100-150 troops to their name at most so they pose absolutely no threat, you can safely fire them and hire whoever. It's when you start having vassal counts and dukes that keeping them appeased is important.

Also you can just reassign them to other positions in the council for "free" if you don't want to murder or fire them and other councilors have better relevant stats.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 8, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elotana posted:

Just replace then. They are certainly not strong enough to rebel against you. Dont worry about your vassals strength for now, its usually only when you have a decent sized kingdom that they start to be dangerous

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

nutranurse posted:

I have absolutely zero interest in mods that change the gameplay, but adding convenience features to the UI or making stuff look nicer sounds OK. Is there much risk of breaking stuff if I add something on when I've already got a campaign in progress?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Elotana posted:

Just fire them they won't be able to cause much trouble with just a church.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

You guys not suggesting murder as the first and best option are clearly not thinking straight :colbert:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TorakFade posted:

You guys not suggesting murder as the first and best option are clearly not thinking straight :colbert:

murder is for important people

just fire them

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

YouTuber posted:

Holy crap. That's something that's worth a DLC, imo. They need to hire that guy, polish that program, maybe make some customization options in the generation and just release that with official support.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Parallax Scroll posted:

I have absolutely zero interest in mods that change the gameplay, but adding convenience features to the UI or making stuff look nicer sounds OK. Is there much risk of breaking stuff if I add something on when I've already got a campaign in progress?

I only did it with the one mod, but I added the larger intrigue menu mod in the middle of an ironman game and nothing exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Elias_Maluco posted:

So I stick with vanilla

You're going after the overhaul ones. Don't do that unless you want some totally different experience. It's like trying anal without prepping the butthole with a metric butt ton of foreplay. It's gonna be an unpleasant experience.

When I want a vanilla+ experience I put in these:

Patron Deities (Adds little patron saints/deities your characters can choose from depending on their religion. Confers a small stat bonus and penalty)
Cultural Bonuses (Adds various cultural based bonuses, e.g. Norsemen fielding more and better heavy infantry)
Your Personal Castle (Allows you to build upgrades to your capital province that confer new events, stat bonuses, and overall acts as a worthwhile money sink)
Trade++ (Extends the trade routes all throughout the world, and there's no performance impact as of the last patch!)
Unique Buildings (Adds unique buildings that would be in certain provinces, e.g. Hadrian's wall in northumbria/scotland)
Great Holy Warriors (Extends the crusader trait to all religions)
Historical Adventurers (Spawns more historical invaders/adventurers, e.g. Rollo invading and creating Normandy/Normans)

No changes to base mechanics! Only more events and stuff to do and none of it's crazy imbalanced.

• Locked thread