Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

EvanSchenck posted:

If it is competitive with a matchlock in penetration and killing power, yes.

When you're shooting a projectile with mechanical force, you have to supply as much work to draw the bow back as it will release when you shoot. You're not using an explosion to move your projectile. For something you're doing with just your arms and back, like a longbow, 150 lbs. draw weight is reasonable... provided the archer has been training for a very, very long time. However, crossbows have a much shorter power stroke than a longbow, so it is less efficient when imparting energy to the projectile. To get a crossbow to deliver similar performance to that longbow you probably need 300ish lbs. draw weight, far too much to be spanned by hand. It can be done with a belt hook, which allows you to employ both your legs.

Machines are another option. You still have to do the same amount of work to span the crossbow, but you can do it more slowly over a larger distance. A goats foot lever spreads out the work by think 4:1, which makes a 400ish lb. crossbow manageable and still pretty quick to fire. But stacking up against a matchlock demands easily over 1000 lbs. draw weight. To span that you need to drastically increase your mechanical advantage by using a windlass or a cranequin, but all that mechanical advantage means you'll be working at it for a pretty long time. It will actually work out slower than a matchlock, especially if you account for hooking and unhooking the machine.

I don't agree with you here on two key premises: First I don't think that by the time you get real lock-fired guns (and especially once you get corned powder) that either man-portable crossbows or selfbows are really their equal in terms of wounding potential and penetrative power. At the same time, crossbows, even windlass-driven types, are noticeably faster to span than arquebus or muskets are to load (half a minute vs. a whole minute). There are a lot more discrete steps in loading early firearms, and you need to take care not to blow yourself up you also need to make sure that the cherry on your match is ready, etc etc.

Edit: For crossbow speed I'm referring to the shot-to-shot time in this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOeZTV9wiA

Matchlock time comes from Hegel and seems in line with this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf0ZiVr9qw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I don't agree with you here on two key premises: First I don't think that by the time you get real lock-fired guns (and especially once you get corned powder) that either man-portable crossbows or selfbows are really their equal in terms of wounding potential and penetrative power. At the same time, crossbows, even windlass-driven types, are noticeably faster to span than arquebus or muskets are to load (half a minute vs. a whole minute). There are a lot more discrete steps in loading early firearms, and you need to take care not to blow yourself up you also need to make sure that the cherry on your match is ready, etc etc.

Edit: For crossbow speed I'm referring to the shot-to-shot time in this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOeZTV9wiA

Matchlock time comes from Hegel and seems in line with this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf0ZiVr9qw

Thanks, would crossbows have been more accurate and had a longer effective range than 30YW (or so) era muskets? Were crossbows mostly obsoleted or were there any niche uses or groups that still used them? Like I remember the Genoese being famous for their crossbowmen, is that at all still a thing by the 30YW?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

First I don't think that by the time you get real lock-fired guns (and especially once you get corned powder) that either man-portable crossbows or selfbows are really their equal in terms of wounding potential and penetrative power.

By "competitive" I didn't mean to imply that crossbows with very high draw weights were equal to matchlocks. I was getting around to the discussion of spanning with mechanical devices by specifying that not all crossbows will give you the least of what a matchlock can do--a high likelihood of penetrating quality body armor and causing wounds at short range. That requires a very heavy crossbow, which takes longer to span. They will be less powerful than a matchlock, but still sufficient to have a good chance of getting that result.

quote:

At the same time, crossbows, even windlass-driven types, are noticeably faster to span than arquebus or muskets are to load (half a minute vs. a whole minute). There are a lot more discrete steps in loading early firearms, and you need to take care not to blow yourself up you also need to make sure that the cherry on your match is ready, etc etc.

The rate of fire for a matchlocks is given by most sources at between 1 and 2 shots per minute, but I can definitely believe that the faster number is at best an optimistic ideal-conditions estimate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"welp, my quiver got water in it and now I can't fire my crossbow" said no crossbowman ever.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

"welp, my quiver got water in it and now I can't fire my crossbow" said no crossbowman ever.

yeah but if you get the bowstrings wet, Battle of Crecy

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I'm sure I've read that yew became extremely expensive over the course of England's wars, at least by the time the Tudors come to power.

FAUXTON posted:

One of the most famous anecdotes from the Hundred Years War involves hired crossbowmen being unable to shoot because they let their strings get wet.
e:fb

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pellisworth posted:

yeah but if you get the Genoese wet, Battle of Crecy

:v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

Hm, what's this, a book by an alleged "internationally recognized expert on the Eastern Front"?

Welp.

Edit: he also based the entire thing on loving SS records and just shrugs and goes "there's no way to establish Soviet losses so let's just take the SS claims at face value".

100 to 130 pounds! :argh:

OwlFancier posted:

Also minor point but I believe the soviet 152 fired an about 90lb shell, the American 155 was the one firing 100lb shells but it also had about double the range.

And the D-1 152 howizter on it's gun carriage is actually slightly larger than the T34 so it would probably look even stupider than the Israeli Shermans.

According to British technical documents, 152mm rounds weighed between 99 lbs and 131 lbs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
idgi, what is loophole 14 :confused:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

pewwww I shot the kroner out of your hand, Danish scum

Now please have a high-ranking general come tour our defensive line, what's the worst that could happen?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Tias posted:

It's been a recurring thing in Trin's ww1 blog. Loophole 14 is on the italian/austrian front, and provides the observer an incredibly good view of the austrian position. However, it's being watched by an Austrian sniper at all times.

Multiple Italian officers have been killed when the soldiers say "don't look through loophole 14, you'll get shot" and the officers respond with "MMMM gently caress YOU I'M BRAVE"
*bang*

So this intrepid soldier was attempting to kill the general the same way, but in a stroke of bad luck, the austrian sniper wasn't there/watching or decided not to shoot.
In disgust, they took loophole 14 apart.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

look through it and find out

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oooh, that trench! Yeah, the cavalry officer insisting he won't die and gets shot in the face is morbidly funny :D

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Splode posted:

It's been a recurring thing in Trin's ww1 blog. Loophole 14 is on the italian/austrian front, and provides the observer an incredibly good view of the austrian position. However, it's being watched by an Austrian sniper at all times.

Multiple Italian officers have been killed when the soldiers say "don't look through loophole 14, you'll get shot" and the officers respond with "MMMM gently caress YOU I'M BRAVE"
*bang*

So this intrepid soldier was attempting to kill the general the same way, but in a stroke of bad luck, the austrian sniper wasn't there/watching or decided not to shoot.
In disgust, they took loophole 14 apart.

You skipped the best part. Once the general left, the soldiers brought a coin to the loophole, and as soon as it reflected sunlight, it was shot.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hi guys! Here's a photo of my great-grandfather. Could anyone be so kind to identify the uniform and give me any details about where he might've been deployed or what was his unit?

I am guessing Austro-Hungarian, since it would fit his place of birth and age, but you never know.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

EvanSchenck posted:

If it is competitive with a matchlock in penetration and killing power, yes.

When you're shooting a projectile with mechanical force, you have to supply as much work to draw the bow back as it will release when you shoot. You're not using an explosion to move your projectile. For something you're doing with just your arms and back, like a longbow, 150 lbs. draw weight is reasonable... provided the archer has been training for a very, very long time. However, crossbows have a much shorter power stroke than a longbow, so it is less efficient when imparting energy to the projectile. To get a crossbow to deliver similar performance to that longbow you probably need 300ish lbs. draw weight, far too much to be spanned by hand. It can be done with a belt hook, which allows you to employ both your legs.

Machines are another option. You still have to do the same amount of work to span the crossbow, but you can do it more slowly over a larger distance. A goats foot lever spreads out the work by think 4:1, which makes a 400ish lb. crossbow manageable and still pretty quick to fire. But stacking up against a matchlock demands easily over 1000 lbs. draw weight. To span that you need to drastically increase your mechanical advantage by using a windlass or a cranequin, but all that mechanical advantage means you'll be working at it for a pretty long time. It will actually work out slower than a matchlock, especially if you account for hooking and unhooking the machine.

The crossbow equivalent to a 120-140# longbow in terms of power is a +1200# crossbow. In terms of kinetic energy, it's getting close to a 22., but KE is something that people like to point at and think that it's the be all end all, while it's not.

Momentum is probably more important once you're dealing with longer ranges than pointblank, and also armors that are made of many layers of cloth, or e.g. when you shoot a horse. Hence, when you look at infantry archers, they usually shoot heavy arrows with longer bows. That's also true for the Turks.

Are there Swedes here? There's a collection of looted bows from the Turkish Wars in the Skokloster, nearly all of them being Crimean Tartar bows. That's highly unusual, these are typical infantry bows according to Yücel's book. What a soldier would carry, not the bling stuff that you see in museums. Imo worth examining, because there's hardly any military grade equipment on display anywhere, but in Vienna.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Are there Swedes here?
as far as i can tell, it's mostly swedes

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

HEY GAL posted:

as far as i can tell, it's mostly swedes

And Brit's. The two powerhouses of world history. ;)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grey Hunter posted:

And Brit's. The two powerhouses of world history. ;)
set up a game of Pike and Shotte and we'll see ;)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

mcustic posted:

Hi guys! Here's a photo of my great-grandfather. Could anyone be so kind to identify the uniform and give me any details about where he might've been deployed or what was his unit?

I am guessing Austro-Hungarian, since it would fit his place of birth and age, but you never know.

I'm 95% certain that's an Austro-Hungarian blouse/tunic/whatever (the pocket shape and the hat), but anything more than that is beyond my resources.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

my dad posted:

You skipped the best part. Once the general left, the soldiers brought a coin to the loophole, and as soon as it reflected sunlight, it was shot.

:laffo: gently caress you I ain't relieving you of that rear end in a top hat

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

The rate of fire for a matchlocks is given by most sources at between 1 and 2 shots per minute, but I can definitely believe that the faster number is at best an optimistic ideal-conditions estimate.
and they don't go off about one time out of every five shots, for reasons

so you need to include the time it takes the dude to figure out what's wrong and fix it and try again in your estimate of how long it takes him to shoot

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: gently caress you I ain't relieving you of that rear end in a top hat

Do you reckon the AH troops had one of those identification guides, but instead of the tank/plane/ship silhouettes it's portraits of General Cadorna and co with "DO NOT SHOOT THIS MAN" next to them

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Do you reckon the AH troops had one of those identification guides, but instead of the tank/plane/ship silhouettes it's portraits of General Cadorna and co with "DO NOT SHOOT THIS MAN" next to them

"His imperial and royal Majesty would like to congratulate Gen. Cadorna to yet another very successful offensive at the Izorno and would like to offer his most heartfelt encouragement to continue operations in this sector."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The A-H photo is definitely of a private since a noncom would have stars on his collar patches, and an officer would have lace and other decorations. He also appears to have a plain isignia disc on his hat but I really cannot make out what the regiment would be. Based on pictures online, he looks like he is K.u.K rather than either of the Landwehr.

Where is the man's family from?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

"His imperial and royal Majesty would like to congratulate Gen. Cadorna to yet another very successful offensive at the Izorno and would like to offer his most heartfelt encouragement to continue operations in this sector."

it is beginning to seem to me like "find good ground, dig into it, and wait until your enemies attack you like some big idiot" has been HRE-->AHE practice since 1626

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

it is beginning to seem to me like "find good ground, dig into it, and wait until your enemies attack you like some big idiot" has been HRE-->AHE practice since 1626

"General, the Swedish are coming!"
"My God, this is it! Let's see what these dogs are made of. How do they approach?"
"...they are attempting a frontal assault again, sir."
"Oh. Well, then. Roll up the musketeers and artillery and let me know how many we kill this time before they give up."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
now at wittstock, the Imperialists (and Saxons) discovered that Swedes could also utilize enveloping attacks and not just attack your prepared position from the front, but Baner and Leslie were better generals than Horn, and Hatzfeldt was a worse general than Wallenstein or probably even Gallas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wittstock

quote:

The Imperial forces decided to wait for the Swedes on a range of sandy hills, the Scharfenberg. A part of the Imperial front was further defended with six ditches and a wall of linked wagons. Their commanders waited for some time for the Swedish troops to appear on the open fields to their front. Instead, the Swedish army was turning the Imperial left flank, moving behind the cover of a series of linked hills. The Imperial troops were forced to redeploy their lines to set up a new front....
edit: this is probably an illustration of how everyone's always fighting the previous battle, Hatzfeldt probably expected it to go like Noerdlingen went. Visibility was also very bad through the trees, so Hatzfeldt may have thought he was facing the entire Swedish army to his front, which would account for why he didn't just roll them forward while Baner was getting bogged down in the woods trying to flank him.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 9, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

now at wittstock, the Imperialists (and Saxons) discovered that Swedes could also utilize enveloping attacks

I'm imagining a catholic soldier in a bar trying to convince all his mates that Swedes can only move in straight lines Shaun of the Dead style

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

Conrad von Hotzendorf didn't believe in that. He believed in ATTACK! ATTACK!

Conrad von Hotzendorf was a nitwit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Conrad von Hotzendorf didn't believe in that. He believed in ATTACK! ATTACK!

Conrad von Hotzendorf was a nitwit.

Conrad von Hotzendorf was tragically hosed up dude. His diary entries are dark as gently caress - he was obssessed with spending time with his mistress, and wrote constantly about how he was crushed by the weight of the responsibility of his position and the pressure to always show a strong masculine side that never backed down. A lot of correspondence revolves around how he didn't want to have to portray a tough manly man all the time and just wanted to spend time with his mistress and get away from the world.

Not that it excuses what he did, but I found the section in The Sleepwalkers on the demands of 1910's society on military men fascinating. They were supposed to be these unflappable paragons of manly manliness, which possibly led to the inflamed rhetoric and "Attack Attack Attack!" mentality of many of the players, but private writings show high ranking dudes on all sides to all be pretty tortured and stressed, often suffering from similar recurring nightmares and mental health problems.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

They rolled into Bosnia and waited for Ferdinand to get assassinated. Checks out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

but private writings show high ranking dudes on all sides to all be pretty tortured and stressed, often suffering from similar recurring nightmares and mental health problems.

These were people who, with the stroke of a pen, could(and did) set into motion battles that lead to tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands dead on each side. I almost feel like anyone who didn't have doubts or nightmares with that kind of responsibility on their shoulders and blood on their hands was already a sociopath or something.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 8, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Elyv posted:

These were people who, with the stroke of a pen, could(and did) set into motion battles that lead to tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands on each side. I almost feel like anyone who didn't have doubts or nightmares with that kind of responsibility on their shoulders and blood on their hands was already a sociopath or something.

I always feel a little sorry for this guy despite some of his gently caress up's now, you got all those weird issues on top of living in your uncles shadow.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the early modern...
http://theorbo.com/

it's good

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

the early modern...

it's good

absolutely

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

the early modern...

it's good

The size of that lute. Muskets of you era are smaller than that!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

The size of that lute. Muskets of you era are smaller than that!

http://theorbo.com/theorboinformation/theorboinformation/about.html

it's italian
it's classicizing
it's goddamn ridiculous

there's music for it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5AIpJC5LcA

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now I want a TV show or something where the main character is a 17th century musician who's lute is also his musket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Now I want a TV show or something where the main character is a 17th century musician who's lute is also his musket.

Il Musicista, starring Antonio Banderas as a lutist who's also an avenging killer.