Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Maybe you should have better things to do with your day than chat up strangers in parking lots and give them rides.

I'm missing the "fun" part of that story, and also it easily could have ended with you getting stabbed.

E: VVV Yea, I'm the beep boop robot for not wanting to waste my precious free time on some random idiot.

Haha holy poo poo you're the worst. Why do you inconvenience yourself with the inefficiency of being alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Haha holy poo poo you're the worst. Why do you inconvenience yourself with the inefficiency of being alive.

Jesus that's harsh.

Fine, I'm a sociopath, I guess.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Jesus that's harsh.

Fine, I'm a sociopath, I guess.

A sociopath who better hope he never gets a flat tire.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean I grew up in and vehemently hate a lot about the south but the people here are genuinely pretty outgoing and like talking to you about whatever or just helpin' out.

Southerners are into the long con; life and scams move faster in the northeast.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A sociopath who better hope he never gets a flat tire.

He works hard for his bucks to pay someone to handle that for him if the need arises.

-or-

A Self-reliant Ron Swanson type would never accept help.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I used to really enjoy the dudes that would break dance on the BART train between Oakland and SF. They were cool and good and nice to talk to. I gave them a Canadian $10 once and they thought the weird plastic money was cool and we talked about Montreal for a bit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

This makes sense cause everyone in the south has a gun.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Shut up about this horseshit and post bwm

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Planet X posted:

Anyone who paid to read this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Every cent that WampaLord's parents invested in raising him was a waste of money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PCjr sidecar posted:

He works hard for his bucks to pay someone to handle that for him if the need arises.

-or-

A Self-reliant Ron Swanson type would never accept help.

Who doesn't have AAA? I'm confused by this line of questioning.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is sad, but also kind of hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/51pynu/my_m32_younger_brother_m22_passed_away_5_years/

- OP's brother invested 10's of thousands of dollars in bitcoins
- Brother invests more in bitcoin mining equipment.
- Brother uses bitcoins to buy tons of drugs around 2011 from the Silk Road
- Brother dies from overdose of said drugs.
- Brother's ex-roommate took the bitcoins from his PC after he died.
- The $20k of bitcoins are now worth around $100k
- OP didn't notice for 5 years and now wants to know if he can get in touch with the police or "someone at bitcoin" to get the money back.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Even if that was cash money in a briefcase, what does he expect the police to do about it? Open an investigation on a 5 year old theft on his word?

Killstick fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 8, 2016

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Planet X posted:

I don't have an article for this, purely anecdote based on conversations I've had since moving to the SF bay area and personal observations:

A lot of people here are setting themselves up for the ultimate BWM, so BWM that they're counteracting their personal windfalls from FYG(W)M under Prop 13 of 1978. (Prop 13 is that godawful property value assessment law that's been actively loving up California for >30 years now. Wikipedia for more details; I could go on forever.)

Long story short on Prop 13, for background info: Your house value, for taxable purposes, cannot go up by more than 2% in any given year. If you bought that house for $100,000 in 1985 and lived in it for 30 years, you're going to pay property taxes as if it's worth $200K even though the market price for the house is now $1,800,000. This creates a hilarious incentive to not ever sell or downsize unless you get a pie-in-the-sky good deal, because whoever buys the house (including your next purchase when you downsize) will have the tax value reset to the current market value. It's pretty ugly, but there's the TL;DR version. (Actually, another proposition passed in 1985 lets elderly people transfer their low tax assessments to new properties, so they never feel the impact at all; taxes are for young people, duh!)

There are loving Teslas, BMWs, Porsches, Jaguars, etc etc all over the place here. Living here is the first time I've seen a Lotus outside of a video game, same with a Maserati. There is a literal Rolls-Royce dealership / garage in my town. The average and median household incomes are both just shy of $100K in my town. The average house price is $1.8M, and the average condo (not many in the town, to be fair) clocks in at $1.1M. The average rent on a 2BR is $3,500ish per month. (I'm paying $3,795, but receive a grossed-up $2,500 post-tax subsidy per month for my rent from my employer. It's the only way I can afford to live here.) 42% of the town population is over the age of 45, and approximately 20% is over the age of 65.

In 2005, the average detached house price was $931K. In 1998, it was $531,000. Data was not easily googled in low enough effort for this post prior to 1998, so gently caress it. You get the point either way. Live here for 20 years, you're looking at a 300% increase in your home value.

I chatted with some people at one of the library's book clubs about the cost of living here and how well off everyone seems to be. I was surprised to find out how many of them are making what appear to be astronomical mortgage payments far out of line with what their purchase dates should've indicated. Ends up, they're not paying mortgages per sé, they're making HELOC payments.

With house values skyrocketing so much, it appears that lots of these people bought fancy cars, high-end furnishings, etc etc, using home equity loans. The old guy I see tooling around town in the brand new, bright red Ferrari (not kidding - he exists) very likely "paid" for it using an equity loan against his house, which he's only able to afford to live in because he and his generation wrote the state's tax code to specifically benefit them and gently caress over everyone younger than them.

BWM: Taking all the benefits gained from loving over your children and spending them on fancy cars, then leaving them a house with a completely unnecessary HELOC against it when you die.

(Unless this is GWM because the only people who'll get hosed over by it are the next generation?)

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

pathetic little tramp posted:

Whole lotta non-Southerners in this thread, I met a very nice person who was driving from Louisiana to her home in Canada while I was filling up at a filling station in Tennessee over the weekend. We're not gremial friends now of course, but it was in fact completely normal to notice her Ontario licence plate and ask if she was vacationing or heading to Canada and wish her well on the rest of her journey.

What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I am looking forward to the coming schadenfreude as more and more people die, lose, or otherwise permanently disable bitcoins in wallets. The first few rounds have happened between high profile bitcoin "bank" breakins, the short lived mnemonic wallet app that used a arbitrary string as the static seed for wallet generation meaning anyone who could guess the string got the wallet, and that guy dump-diving to find his million dollar hard drive he threw away.

Sure eventually computers will be able to brute force old wallet addresses, especially those found to have been generated with weak crypto, but that is going to be a while. Technically bitcoins in "offline cold storage" can be stolen if you can guess the private key.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

silvergoose posted:

Who doesn't have AAA? I'm confused by this line of questioning.

AAA is BWM since you can get a tow add on to your car insurance for like $10.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Sundae posted:

I don't have an article for this, purely anecdote based on conversations I've had since moving to the SF bay area and personal observations:

A lot of people here are setting themselves up for the ultimate BWM, so BWM that they're counteracting their personal windfalls from FYG(W)M under Prop 13 of 1978. (Prop 13 is that godawful property value assessment law that's been actively loving up California for >30 years now. Wikipedia for more details; I could go on forever.)

Long story short on Prop 13, for background info: Your house value, for taxable purposes, cannot go up by more than 2% in any given year. If you bought that house for $100,000 in 1985 and lived in it for 30 years, you're going to pay property taxes as if it's worth $200K even though the market price for the house is now $1,800,000. This creates a hilarious incentive to not ever sell or downsize unless you get a pie-in-the-sky good deal, because whoever buys the house (including your next purchase when you downsize) will have the tax value reset to the current market value. It's pretty ugly, but there's the TL;DR version. (Actually, another proposition passed in 1985 lets elderly people transfer their low tax assessments to new properties, so they never feel the impact at all; taxes are for young people, duh!)

There are loving Teslas, BMWs, Porsches, Jaguars, etc etc all over the place here. Living here is the first time I've seen a Lotus outside of a video game, same with a Maserati. There is a literal Rolls-Royce dealership / garage in my town. The average and median household incomes are both just shy of $100K in my town. The average house price is $1.8M, and the average condo (not many in the town, to be fair) clocks in at $1.1M. The average rent on a 2BR is $3,500ish per month. (I'm paying $3,795, but receive a grossed-up $2,500 post-tax subsidy per month for my rent from my employer. It's the only way I can afford to live here.) 42% of the town population is over the age of 45, and approximately 20% is over the age of 65.

In 2005, the average detached house price was $931K. In 1998, it was $531,000. Data was not easily googled in low enough effort for this post prior to 1998, so gently caress it. You get the point either way. Live here for 20 years, you're looking at a 300% increase in your home value.

I chatted with some people at one of the library's book clubs about the cost of living here and how well off everyone seems to be. I was surprised to find out how many of them are making what appear to be astronomical mortgage payments far out of line with what their purchase dates should've indicated. Ends up, they're not paying mortgages per sé, they're making HELOC payments.

With house values skyrocketing so much, it appears that lots of these people bought fancy cars, high-end furnishings, etc etc, using home equity loans. The old guy I see tooling around town in the brand new, bright red Ferrari (not kidding - he exists) very likely "paid" for it using an equity loan against his house, which he's only able to afford to live in because he and his generation wrote the state's tax code to specifically benefit them and gently caress over everyone younger than them.

BWM: Taking all the benefits gained from loving over your children and spending them on fancy cars, then leaving them a house with a completely unnecessary HELOC against it when you die.

(Unless this is GWM because the only people who'll get hosed over by it are the next generation?)

Yeah California is pretty rotten for bwm. When I worked there, in an office of 60 people I was one of 3, literally 3, who was contributing to a 401(k) or had any type of retirement account. Of course, the big problem is loving housing costs are skyrocketing and wages are not. The starting salary 10 years ago was 28k + benefits, the starting salary now is 16$/hr + benefits are available for purchase. Hard as hell to contribute to a retirement fund when your rent is 1200 w/ roommate but still, amongst the starters, 50% buy brand new BMWs or Lexuses.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is sad, but also kind of hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/51pynu/my_m32_younger_brother_m22_passed_away_5_years/

- OP's brother invested 10's of thousands of dollars in bitcoins
- Brother invests more in bitcoin mining equipment.
- Brother uses bitcoins to buy tons of drugs around 2011 from the Silk Road
- Brother dies from overdose of said drugs.
- The $20k of bitcoins are now worth around $100k
- OP didn't notice for 5 years and now wants to know if he can get in touch with the police or "someone at bitcoin" to get the money back.

I'm trying to remember that line about how Bitcoin is slowly figuring out why financial regulations are in place.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

MrKatharsis posted:

relying on towing on your car insurance is BMW because if you use it, it counts as an insurance claim!

AAA costs more up-front but is probably better with insurance at the end of the day

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah California is pretty rotten for bwm. When I worked there, in an office of 60 people I was one of 3, literally 3, who was contributing to a 401(k) or had any type of retirement account. Of course, the big problem is loving housing costs are skyrocketing and wages are not. The starting salary 10 years ago was 28k + benefits, the starting salary now is 16$/hr + benefits are available for purchase. Hard as hell to contribute to a retirement fund when your rent is 1200 w/ roommate but still, amongst the starters, 50% buy brand new BMWs or Lexuses.

And those companies doling out $2500 rent subsidies are part of the problem!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barry posted:

I'm trying to remember that line about how Bitcoin is slowly figuring out why financial regulations are in place.
I mean, it's strictly more traceable than a suitcase full of money would be. Of all the forms of money that can be used to buy drugs and are able to be stolen upon death by a roommate, bitcoin is the most traceable. :shrug:

fake edit: okay maybe gold bars would be better - they aren't traceable still but like, they're really heavy if you have 100k worth and you can probably find the storage locker with a little PI work

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Wickerman posted:

relying on towing on your car insurance is BMW because if you use it, it counts as an insurance claim!

AAA costs more up-front but is probably better with insurance at the end of the day

Not with any insurance I've ever had(Geico, Nationwide, Progressive). I've used it regularly once every few years with zero impact on my premium. It certainly doesn't show up in the "claims" section of my online account.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

MrKatharsis posted:

Not with any insurance I've ever had(Geico, Nationwide, Progressive). I've used it regularly once every few years with zero impact on my premium. It certainly doesn't show up in the "claims" section of my online account.

Depends on the state. In Colorado, tow claims and glass chips don't affect your rate.

If you replace the windshield every year or file, like, 6 towing claims a year, though, you'll be dropped.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I mean, it's strictly more traceable than a suitcase full of money would be. Of all the forms of money that can be used to buy drugs and are able to be stolen upon death by a roommate, bitcoin is the most traceable. :shrug:

fake edit: okay maybe gold bars would be better - they aren't traceable still but like, they're really heavy if you have 100k worth and you can probably find the storage locker with a little PI work

Sure, when compared against a suitcase full of cash under your bed or other methods used to commonly buy drugs, bitcoins are alright.

But if it was in some account at a banking institution, roommate wouldn't have been able to run off with it.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

100k of 24k gold only weighs about 5 1/4 pounds. It's rather dense for its weight but I wouldn't call it heavy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

And those companies doling out $2500 rent subsidies are part of the problem!

Agreed, though otherwise they'd have no workers given there is still no incentive for an owner (Prop 13 applies to secondary and investment properties as well) to drop his prices until Prop 13 goes away. There's a reason so many of the tech companies are bleeding workers / moving sites elsewhere right now, even apart from the unicorn bubble. Even in tech fields, the pay doesn't keep up with the cost of living. Most companies end the rent subsidies after 2-3 years, which coincidentally is just about the median employee tenure duration. Go figure! :v:

I love my job here, but it's still extremely likely that I'll head back east the moment my rent subsidies end. It's too BWM to pay more in rent than I'd pay in Manhattan for comparable pay to anywhere on the east coast, gorgeous weather and relaxed work environment or not. :(

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 8, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Craptacular posted:

100k of 24k gold only weighs about 5 1/4 pounds. It's rather dense for its weight but I wouldn't call it heavy.

Alright my order of magnitude estimate was wrong - bitcoins it is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Agreed, though otherwise they'd have no workers given there is still no incentive for an owner (Prop 13 applies to secondary and investment properties as well) to drop his prices until Prop 13 goes away. There's a reason so many of the tech companies are bleeding workers / moving sites elsewhere right now, even apart from the unicorn bubble. Even in tech fields, the pay doesn't keep up with the cost of living. Most companies end the rent subsidies after 2-3 years, which coincidentally is just about the median employee tenure duration. Go figure! :v:

I love my job here, but it's still extremely likely that I'll head back east the moment my rent subsidies end. It's too BWM to pay more in rent than I'd pay in Manhattan for comparable pay to anywhere on the east coast, gorgeous weather and relaxed work environment or not. :(

As now landed gentry I see the appeal in FYGM of prop 13, but jesus it is draining this state dry. There is no penalty for allowing market values to skyrocket, so as long as you can "get in" you're golden. (I live in LA burbs.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackmet posted:

Depends on the state. In Colorado, tow claims and glass chips don't affect your rate.

If you replace the windshield every year or file, like, 6 towing claims a year, though, you'll be dropped.

Whoa. Do I have to prove the glass chip or crack was while I was on the same insurance? My windshield is cracked all to hell, but I've got a new chip that will probably crack this winter too.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

As now landed gentry I see the appeal in FYGM of prop 13, but jesus it is draining this state dry. There is no penalty for allowing market values to skyrocket, so as long as you can "get in" you're golden. (I live in LA burbs.)

I dunno, I'm not some huge tax protestor but California public spending has at something like tripled in the last 20 years which in real terms is better than a 100% increase with only a 20% corresponding increase in population. It's hard to be too sympathetic when there are unfettered spending increases every year and then all the local governments cry because they can't arbitrarily tax the piss out of all the homeowners to pay for it.

I got a 47% property tax increase this year due to a computerized revaluation and it was an expensive and time consuming pain in the rear end to battle with appeals and appraisals. It'd be nice to have some legal protection from that kind of tax shock.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

47% property tax increase

:captainpop:

that shouldnt be legal anywhere

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Auto insurance tow coverage charges per car and only covers your specific cars. AAA is both cheaper for 3+ cars, and they will also tow any vehicle you're willing to stand beside and wait for the truck.

Wickerman posted:

And now you understand why Prop 13 got passed in the first place.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I dunno, I'm not some huge tax protestor but California public spending has at something like tripled in the last 20 years which in real terms is better than a 100% increase with only a 20% corresponding increase in population. It's hard to be too sympathetic when there are unfettered spending increases every year and then all the local governments cry because they can't arbitrarily tax the piss out of all the homeowners to pay for it.

I got a 47% property tax increase this year due to a computerized revaluation and it was an expensive and time consuming pain in the rear end to battle with appeals and appraisals. It'd be nice to have some legal protection from that kind of tax shock.

It's also hard to be too sympathetic to the California property owners who:
-Consistently battle multifamily and mixed use development, whether through zoning control, CEQA, or lawsuits (such development pays for its cost of services way better than single family homes do)
-Complain about being "locked in" to their current properties, even when they're sitting on assets that have doubled or tripled in value over a short time without any action on their part
-Benefit from an arbitrary statewide rate-of-increase cap on their assessed property value

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Wickerman posted:

Post quieter or Rahm Emanuel will hear you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The state should do away with the separated tax and proposition systems, then. Right now it's a simple majority to pass a proposition but requires a 2/3 majority to pass a tax to pay for said proposition. Guess which half of that deal never seems to pass? But this is getting a bit off-topic for the BWM thread.

BWM: It is bad with money to take a loan against an unrealized 300% gain in your house value and then use the loan to buy sport cars and $700 shoes.

quote:

Not saying this is what happened for the poster, but if your house went up by 47% in market value, absolutely it should be legal. House values jumping by 10-20% per year isn't that unusual for the SF bay area, unfortunately.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 8, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

My co-op got reassessed at more than double its previous EAV and as president it fell to me to break the news to everyone. I really appreciated the guy who made a snide comment about my employer (I work for the city), even though the assessor is a completely different unit of government :v:

The frustrating thing is that the new assessment is in all honesty a "fairer" number, but when the jump comes all at once it's a real kick in the teeth and unnecessarily raises anti-tax sentiment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It happens with income all the time, property value is just much murkier and less obviously real as the amount of dollars you earn. Excluding the social security maximum, doubling your income will more than double your tax bill, does property really need to be that different?

Maybe you could salve the tax shock by spreading out the increase over a few years, so you still eventually pay the full amount as if it occurred all at once, but the bill isn't due until later.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Sundae posted:

Also living in the Penninsula and probably in the same town, BGame!

I always figured people were either living way outside their means, old money, or just all highly paid tech execs. I never figured the degree of bwm though.

Did you hear about the new rent control ordinance around here?

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/artic...6425167903.html

I feel especially bad for the person in the story but this has become common with the rash of rent increases all over this city. Prior to finding our current residence, we were paying $2000 for a tiny 1br which had its rent bumped up to $3000 the next year. poo poo's going to get ridiculous with the property owners in this area if this passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

Also living in the Penninsula and probably in the same town, BGame!

I always figured people were either living way outside their means, old money, or just all highly paid tech execs. I never figured the degree of bwm though.

Did you hear about the new rent control ordinance around here?

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/artic...6425167903.html

I feel especially bad for the person in the story but this has become common with the rash of rent increases all over this city. Prior to finding our current residence, we were paying $2000 for a tiny 1br which had its rent bumped up to $3000 the next year. poo poo's going to get ridiculous with the property owners in this area if this passes.

Yep! I'm in Burlingame too. I'm excited for the rent control ordinance because my wife and I are filthy renting proles.

• Locked thread