Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Cheers guys that's very useful. I'm way behind the curve on what's good and current

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Serotonin posted:

Cheers guys that's very useful. I'm way behind the curve on what's good and current

If you want to wind up opponents get the infinite range AA walker that has both a higher energy value and better accuracy than any other AA unit in the game.

Also two packs of Pungari and flood buildings with them.

If you are not a total dick, listen to the other people here who actually know Shaltari. ;)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Reading the rules for Dropfleet (though these have likely changed) the Atlantis is a nasty piece of fuckin work. Love the model too! For those curious, it's basically a Moscow and a Seattle cellotaped together.

I'm also designing a campaign league for Dropfleet and planning to use a hex-style map for people to conquer stuff. Would anyone here be interested in reading bits over as I post them to help make it a better project?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 5, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Flipswitch posted:

Reading the rules for Dropfleet (though these have likely changed) the Atlantis is a nasty piece of fuckin work. Love the model too! For those curious, it's basically a Moscow and a Seattle cellotaped together.

I'm also designing a campaign league for Dropfleet and planning to use a hex-style map for people to conquer stuff. Would anyone here be interested in reading bits over as I post them to help make it a better project?

Sure!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

How does this look? (Realised I owned 2 Jaguars). Anything obviously bad or dumb standing out?

Clash: 1487/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1487/1500 pts]
Gate Group [276 pts]
Eden Gates: 3x Eden [150 pts]
Spirit Gates: 2x Spirit [86 pts]
Haven: Haven [20 pts]
Haven: Haven [20 pts]
Court of Elders [277 pts]
Coyote: Coyote(Warchief) [205 pts]
Yari Squad: 3x Yari, Yari(+Light Ion Cannon) [72 pts]
Swordpoint [224 pts]
Tomahawk Squad: 3x Tomahawk [114 pts]
Tarantula Squad: 2x Tarantula [110 pts]
Warrior Clan [140 pts]
Braves: 2x Braves [70 pts]
Warrior Clan [70 pts]
Warfist [270 pts]
Jaguar Squad: 2x Jaguar [220 pts]
Totem: Totem [50 pts]
Warfist [230 pts]
Ocelot Squad: Ocelot [95 pts]
Kukri Squad: 3x Kukri [135 pts]

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Using that, I would split up the jaguars (either move the kukris to the 2nd warrior clan and put the second jaguar with the ocelot, or put it with your commander) otherwise you have to keep them within 3" of each other.

As for things to think about, three squads of troops isn't really enough for an invasion tournament list, but could work for some scenarios. Also you are hovering on the lower bounds of AA (there are a fair few tough flyers around now, like a6 lifthawks and the phoenix with its infinite damage points), so be careful with how you use your kukris.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Incy posted:

Also you are hovering on the lower bounds of AA (there are a fair few tough flyers around now, like a6 lifthawks and the phoenix with its infinite damage points), so be careful with how you use your kukris.

True dat. The Njord is also a thing now and I expect it to be a popular PHR choice. Unless it is just me getting giddy over it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Incy posted:

Using that, I would split up the jaguars (either move the kukris to the 2nd warrior clan and put the second jaguar with the ocelot, or put it with your commander) otherwise you have to keep them within 3" of each other.

As for things to think about, three squads of troops isn't really enough for an invasion tournament list, but could work for some scenarios. Also you are hovering on the lower bounds of AA (there are a fair few tough flyers around now, like a6 lifthawks and the phoenix with its infinite damage points), so be careful with how you use your kukris.

I wondered about the troops and if I was not bringing enough. 4 squads enough? I'm assuming the new walker AA is worth taking? I love the walker designs so need no excuse to buy more

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Serotonin posted:

I wondered about the troops and if I was not bringing enough. 4 squads enough? I'm assuming the new walker AA is worth taking? I love the walker designs so need no excuse to buy more

People are losing their poo poo about the new walker

E - Walkers. The leopard is good too, and will wreck whatever you point it at,

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ok I've bought a totem, a panther , and Yuris

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Apparently if you run double Panther and cross the streams the game ends as we know it. Wish the Broadsword was as good, but people are catching on (myself included) with how good the Phoenix is.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Shaltari are a faction that rely on their powerful gate mechanic to get the right troops exactly where they want. Therefore it is advisable to take a good number of gates to ensure that yo---

code:
Groundzone Tankcommander
Clash: 1500/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1500/1500 pts]
		Gate Group [172 pts]
			Spirit Gates: 4x Spirit [172 pts]
		Court of Elders [416 pts]
			Gharial: Gharial(Warchief) [210 pts]
			Caiman Squad: Caiman [110 pts]
			Firstborns: 2x Firstborns [96 pts]
		Swordpoint [114 pts]
			Tomahawk Squad: 3x Tomahawk [114 pts]
		Warrior Clan [219 pts]
			Pungari: 4x Pungari Auxiliaries [84 pts]
			Kukri Squad: 3x Kukri [135 pts]
		Warrior Clan [214 pts]
			Pungari: 4x Pungari Auxiliaries [84 pts]
			Firedrake: Firedrake [130 pts]
		Warfist [235 pts]
			Caiman Squad: Caiman [110 pts]
			Panther Squad: Panther [125 pts]
		Speartip [130 pts]
			Ronin: 4x Ronin [76 pts]
			Yari Squad: 2x Yari(+Light Ion Cannon) [54 pts]
I think I may take this list to invasion. I hear they are running a6 buildings - drop every home building turn 1. Skim around and shoot things. Never compromise, that firedrake stays in gunship mode all game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gates are overrated. gently caress 'em.

Legend, I'm starting to write it up today so I'll do a big post sometime at the end of the week. :)

E: This is what I think of whenever I picture the Avalon-Battlecruiser in spaceflight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hthl28SEGfk

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 7, 2016

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I've been looking for a new miniature game to get into for ages. I miss Battlefleet gothic and epic 40k....and wouldn't you know hawk games basically has both!

I've preordered the dropfleet starter + phr fleet already. This way i got a 3rd army should someone want to try out the game

Really I'm struggling with, if i should do the same with dropzone or not at this point.
I LOVE the look of the resistance (gorkamorka anyone?!?!) but I'm undecided what exactly to grab. No resistance fleet, that I've seen, in dropfleet is kinda holding me back from them. Sad panda

So maybe a starter set + phr starter to keep things even?

Will the 3 factions play differently enough from one another?
What's the best way to quickly, and possibly cheapest, way to expand all 3 dropzone armies?

Thanks for any advice

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Really I'm struggling with, if i should do the same with dropzone or not at this point.
I LOVE the look of the resistance (gorkamorka anyone?!?!) but I'm undecided what exactly to grab. No resistance fleet, that I've seen, in dropfleet is kinda holding me back from them. Sad panda

The Resistance won't get a fleet as it would not make sense in the game world, sadly.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Not under the Resistance name, no, but Hawk have said at Cons they are considering a BSG-style rag-tag fleet "survivor" faction.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Loxbourne posted:

Not under the Resistance name, no, but Hawk have said at Cons they are considering a BSG-style rag-tag fleet "survivor" faction.

I think that was just OB speculating, wasn't it? Although they seem to have an inside like on a lot of hawk thinking.

Fluff-wise some resistance units would get carted around on UCM ships (this happened to Karl Foley I believe), but I can see it being a bit of a stretch to assume they take their bus with metal bolted on along with them.

Factions play fairly differently, scourge and shaltari probably have the most unique style ("fast with short ranged guns" and "confusing", respectively) while PHR likely have the greatest amount of styles to choose from.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There is going to be another faction, Dave did say as much during the pre-launch event but wouldn't speak further on it. They're considering another Dropzone faction and I think he said they envisioned as many as 8 factions at one point? Ithink?

The most important question he answered whether they would change the Shenlong-class to the Hung Dong-class was answered with an unfortunate no. :(

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Flipswitch posted:

The most important question he answered whether they would change the Shenlong-class to the Hung Dong-class was answered with an unfortunate no. :(

Preorder cancelled

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Ah, so they're going with the Long Wang option.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I stormed out tbh

Pierzak posted:

Ah, so they're going with the Long Wang variant.
i came up with the Schlong Long after but it was too late to change the question

How are you guys making lists with the Phoenix/seeing lists with the Phoenix? I'm struggling to make a list with it I like, but admittedly I'm being very spoilt and still trying to cram in all the toys in my lists:

Clash: 1500/1500 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1500/1500 pts]
    • Field Command[405 pts]
      • Phoenix: Phoenix(Captain) [285 pts]
      • Falcon Squad: 3x Falcon [120 pts]
    • Armored Formation [221 pts]
      • Katana Squad: 3x Katana [111 pts]
      • Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [245 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
      • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [246 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group[268 pts]
      • Praetorian Snipers: 4x Praetorian Snipers [144 pts]
      • Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
    • Air Wing[115 pts]
      • Retaliator Squad: Retaliator [115 pts]

I did have some Falcon-Bs in there instead of the A's, but I'm not too sure. The easy answer is to drop the Retaliator but I quite like the thing, maybe:

Clash: 1496/1500 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1496/1500 pts]
    • Field Command [385 pts]
      • Phoenix: Phoenix(Captain) [285 pts]
      • Falcon B Squad: 2x Falcon B [100 pts]
    • Armored Formation [221 pts]
      • Katana Squad: 3x Katana [111 pts]
      • Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [245 pts]
      • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [246 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
    • Special Ordnance [291 pts]
      • Scimitar Squad: 2x Scimitar, Condor [131 pts]
      • Falcon Squad: 4x Falcon [160 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [108 pts]
      • Praetorian Snipers: 3x Praetorian Snipers [108 pts]

Kinda fun lists to play around with, not looking to run anything super serious but I realized I have no idea how to build lists for this game because I am bad.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Legionnaire special weapons, hazard suits and little AA apart from the ferrum is what I've generally seen.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

I think the direction is scenario specific pieces for narrative/friendly gaming but not as a full faction.

They do intend to bring new (presumably alien) factions to Dropzone in future expansions and those will surely expand Dropfleet at the same time.

Last time I heard Dave talk about this he was talking about doing a phase 3 book then adding a new race. Depends how fast he wants to advance the storyline I guess. Dropfleet/phase 3 narrative will probably focus on what happened at the end of phase 2.

Out there prediction: the next race will be connected to the White Sphere artifact that is behind the PHR. Either more machines like it, the race who built it or whatever the Sphere may be running from, because I think it is on its own and adopted itself some humans.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

Even if they don't do this as a full on faction, I think it would be really cool if they made some random old human ships and had some sort of campaign like BSG.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Any places around Portland that demo dropzone or have a decent turn out? I'll be in that area this weekend, figured I'd ask

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Any places around Portland that demo dropzone or have a decent turn out? I'll be in that area this weekend, figured I'd ask

I've heard that Portland Game Store has a couple guys that play. My group has been doing our campaign from a buddy's house, without store support. We've just special ordered what we needed from one of the local shop owners.

We haven't had anyone in our group with enough free time to hit up a local store to support a regular night for gaming or a league, though that may change early next year.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

1k point Dropfleet trip report: St Petersburg goin' weapons free is fuckin' awesome when you quad crit the burnthrough lasers. Toasted me an Ifrit. :iia:

E: I also think the bases are completely garbage, I'm probs only going to use the very bottom of the base and use the inner middle bit as like a basing point to make a little planet surface or something

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 11, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I did some photoshopping as the closest thing to trying out my planned shaltari scheme. I was thinking preshading in greyscale using airbrush and drybrush and then hitting the whole thing with purple and violet glazes before picking out details.

And crossposting from the terrain thread:

Bistromatic posted:

I've been experimenting a bit with using aluminum foil to make crumpled up casts of cars for dropzone commander. There's definitely room for improvement but i'm pretty happy with these as a first test series.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That is a rather lovely colour, I think Scalecolor do some great purples near that tone?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks! I already got my canadian internet girlfriend to buy me some Golden paints that i hope will work for what i have in mind, if not i'll take a look at scalecolor. I really love Golden Shading grey though so i have high hope for their other stuff too.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Do we have anyone else going to invasion next weekend? If so, hope you've got your lists in (the deadline was yesterday).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Incy posted:

Do we have anyone else going to invasion next weekend? If so, hope you've got your lists in (the deadline was yesterday).

Sadly Grey & I are missing this one due to family commitments. Sucks because I really want to get some games in! :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm missing it because i forgot to book time off work!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Currently heading from Yorkshire to the lakes, so yeah, going to miss this one.

We will be at warfare in reading though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How would you goons pose the guns on the Moscow-Class? It's an awkward looking ship, I'm tempted top magnetize it so I can swivel them all.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So how much has phase 2 changed potential buying list for expanding from the starter?
I've gone through
http://gamerati.com/building-a-dzc-army-on-a-budget/
And I'm curious how things are shaping out basically

My starter arrives today and i picked up phase 1 & 2 books while in Portland.
Don't know what half the stats mean but drat there are some nice models!!

How screwed will i be picking my commander off of looks for scourge? I've seen a few examples in this thread of the scourge commander, desolator, flipping tanks with his close aoe of fuckoffness

is he still viable? Love the model

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 12, 2016

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The big crab beast? That one is the Oppressor. He is strong but harder to use than the Desolator as you need to expose him to the enemy in order to get the best out of him. He is considered to have a steeper learning curve than the Desolator, but easier than the Overseer which I think will be a unit newbies should steer clear of.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I've never built one myself, is it reasonably possible to magnetise between Desolator and Overseer? It would all depend on how the arms attach.

Oh and would anyone be interested be interested in the psd file for the shaltari cruiser photoshop i did? The most effort was cleanly masking stuff and other people might as well play around with it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Bistromatic posted:

I've never built one myself, is it reasonably possible to magnetise between Desolator and Overseer? It would all depend on how the arms attach.

I hear that it isn't, but haven't built either myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The arms go up into eight closely-set sockets that would likely make things a huge pain.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to magnetize unless you somehow cast or work metal caps for the sockets and then put magnets in the arms.