Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AradoBalanga posted:

Music rights in Japan are an abyss of red tape and strict dealings, which affects things like SRW's music catalog. As much as the RIAA here in the U.S. are shitlords when it comes to music rights, their Japanese counterparts are just as bad, if not worse in some cases.

Not shown: Vega putting added security on her own motorcycle to prevent Akira from "borrowing" it in a crisis.

I thought SRW licensing in japan works upon good relations and a metric ton of gentleman's agreements.
Also on VAs who fuckin love their job and the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Wait you can change the soundtrack in the PSP version? HOW!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Z3 was the best (for soundtrack changes). I put Beautiful World for Evangelion.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Japanese music licensing agreements are such a catastrofuck that they're the reason that Super Robot Wars Original Generations: The Moon Dwellers has a block on using the PS4's native streaming function.

Also, having Rah Xephon and Raideen in the same game makes the lack of cross-series synchro attacks a real bummer. :(

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
That is one of my many gripes with the game, Rahxepxon is considered a spirtual homage to Reideen and YET there is no combo attack.

ALSO no combo attack with Unit 01 :/

Reideen's good as well... especially since Tanky Super Robots are very few.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I thought SRW licensing in japan works upon good relations and a metric ton of gentleman's agreements.
Also on VAs who fuckin love their job and the game.
The voice actors part is definitely true, but there are some actual issues with music and/or featured series that not even a truckload of gentleman's agreements can patch up. See: the Giant Robo license and its own flavor of clusterfuck.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

heavybassX posted:

Wait you can change the soundtrack in the PSP version? HOW!?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

What's interesting about MX Portable (and A Portable) is that you can set different themes for the pilots and the mechs, and then choose which set plays. So, in A Portable, you could have the Hyaku Shiki still using the more accurate MS in the Flash, but have Quattro use Here Comes Char for any unit he pilots.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

heavybassX posted:

That is one of my many gripes with the game, Rahxepxon is considered a spirtual homage to Reideen and YET there is no combo attack.

My one big gripe with MX is that the OP shows all these amazing combo attacks that you never actually get to perform! There's no Double God Arrow or Triple Kung Fu Beatdown anywhere in the game :(

Also, the melodies to Zeta Gundam's OPs and ED were written by Neil Sedaka, one of the biggest songwriters and performers in the US in the 1950s and 60s, so he gets to name his own price for those songs. The lesson here is: Go domestic when choosing who writes the theme songs to your cartoons even if you don't think anyone outside your home country would be interested in them.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
I know Heero Yuy's VA loves Super Robot Wars and when he gets asked to do it and can record new lines for free.

Z2 is an example of how much development he got in said game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

heavybassX posted:

I know Heero Yuy's VA loves Super Robot Wars and when he gets asked to do it and can record new lines for free.

Z2 is an example of how much development he got in said game.

There are a number of people who deeply love the series that actively contribute on their own but Midorikawa is easily the one that stands out.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Materant posted:

There are a number of people who deeply love the series that actively contribute on their own but Midorikawa is easily the one that stands out.

Didn't they post some kind of video from the studio and when the SRW guys got there Midorikawa was sleeping there waiting?

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
I'm curious what the next chapter is going to be?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Is there some reason we're not trying to pick up the other Shuffle Alliance members? Are things just too hectic right now?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

Huh. Is there some reason we're not trying to pick up the other Shuffle Alliance members? Are things just too hectic right now?

We've only run into DG Cell Clones of them so far and presumably don't know where the originals are, what with them being wandering martial artists and all.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
We have only met the DG Clones of the other shuffle alliance members, not the actual ones.

You meet them later on when the path splits for the first time

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Kouji and Prof. Yumi discuss Kouji resuming his seat aboard Mazinger Z.
It and the Great Mazinger, their battles done, were offered to the Robot Museum as symbols of peace but now that new threats have emerged, Kouji is willing to fly his unit again. Plus, he figures this is what his grandpa and father would want.
Yumi accedes and will get in touch with the museum to make arrangements. And what about the Great’s pilot, Tetsuya? Undergoing rehab after the injuries he suffered in the final battle against the Mycenae Empire.
Knowing him, Kouji figures that means training; regardless, Yumi will have him and Jun join the Nahel Argama soon. Sayaka, Boss and co. will also be headed Kouji’s way, so things will be pretty lively aboard the ship.

After Yumi hangs up, Kouji tells Kaine that the fighting’s only going to get worse and using the TFO wouldn’t do. Both Mazingers have been at the museum for a while now and, from what Kouji’s heard, they’ve drawn a whole lot of kids over to the place.
Tap and Kaine are a bit curious, though, as to why he wanted to send his bot to such a place – wouldn’t it be better to just keep the thing stashed nearby, ready to use, like the Raideen?

Michiru explains that there are some in the Federation army that don’t care for civilians having such powerful machines; sending them to the museum was a way to placate them. The local staff still keep the Mazingers ready to deploy if need be.
Dangerous, Tap ponders; what if someone stole them? Yet another reason why Kouji is heading over to get it ASAP.

Daisuke wonders if Kouji’s sure about this – he thought he wanted to explore space aboard his TFO. He still is, though he’s putting that on hold for now. Once the fighting’s over, however, he’ll even expand the TFO to allow it to fly to any corner of the universe.
Kaine is amused Kouji’s got a dream like that but thinks it’s an appropriately manly undertaking. Tap laughs at the two acting all grown up despite their bath-peeping escapade.
How does he know about that? Roux told him – looks like she really was onto them.
Either way, Kouji will keep on helping Duke and the others restore peace in order to pave the way for his own dream. No time to waste, then, and Kaine tells him to go grab his bot already.

Kouji is ten minutes away from the Robot Museum, having taken the long way around to avoid any enemy spotting him. Then again, he figures no one would assume that the stuff on display at the museum are the legit Mazingers.
Maybe not but the suddenly-appearing Balendos has a good nose for easy prey and sends his mooks after Kouji – once he’s captured, they’ll pry intel on the Grendizer out of him.
Kouji can’t well run and risk the Vegans figuring out what’s up with the museum, so he’ll just have to break through their ranks.

You only need to kill two Minifoos with the TFO.

While doing so, Kouji levels up and gets Prevail L3

Kouji’s feeling pretty good but Balendos decides to cut his celebration short, sending the Saucerbeast Jinjin. The thing easily immobilizes the TFO and captures Kouji.

He’s brought inside the Mother Burn, where Balendos introduces himself properly – he’s got some questions to ask.
Kouji tells him to take a hike, prompting Balendos to zap him some – not as torture but, rather, to get a mind-control device to work its magic. Kouji yells back that tricks like those won’t break him and Balendos is more than willing on putting that theory to the test.
It doesn’t take long for the device to start working, so Balendos starts questioning him. For instance, what happened during his first battle? That was two years ago, against a mechabeast controlled by Baron Ashura – the first time he piloted his grandpa’s invincible robot, Mazinger. That which can become either a god or a devil.

Balendos is curious. What then? Kouji beat Dr. Hell and left to study in the US. Meanwhile, Tetsuya and the Great Mazinger fought and beat the Mycenae Empire.
And where are the two Mazingers now? In the Robot Museum, standing as symbols of peace.
That sounds perfect to Balendos and, with directions to where the museum is, he’s got a task for Kouji: grab the Mazinger and crush Duke with it.

Our people are looking into Kouji’s sudden disappearance from the Federation’s radar network. Asuka wonders if he could’ve decided to visit someplace else but, when Kaine asks, has no idea where.
“Shouldn’t you know since you’re such great peeping-tom buddies?” she fires back, causing Kaine to cringe that the story’s getting around. Asuka warns him that if he peeks at her while she's bathing he's going to shoot blood from his nose a good four meters in the air; Kaine can only quietly wonder if that’d be from the sight or from her punching him.
Regardless, Vega and Misato are worried at this unscheduled pit stop and decide to send someone to look – Duke offers to do it.

Mission 11 – The Manipulated Devil

Duke checks the museum up ahead and it doesn’t seem like anyone’s around… that is, until the Vegans pop out of the woodwork. Balendos comes over in the Great Mazinger, very happy to see Duke here by his lonesome.
When asked how he managed to get his hands on the thing, Balendos sasses that a little birdie told him about the museum.

And in comes Kouji with the Mazinger. Duke figures he was captured and Balendos gets straight to the point: “He’ll obey anything I say – anything. So if you want to save your friend’s life, you’ll hand over the Grendizer this instant.”
Duke shakes his fist at such villainy but Balendos doesn’t care, zapping Kouji some more to prove his point. Duke cannot bring himself to surrender the Grendizer, though, knowing that it’ll mean condemning this world to the same fate as Planet Fleed. Begging Kouji’s forgiveness, he readies himself to fight.
Balendos gets a kick out of his decision, not that it surprises him. “After all, this is the man who watched as his countrymen got slaughtered and fled to Earth – the one who abandoned even his little sister!”

Still, Duke will not allow the Grendizer to be turned into a force of evil like the Vegans. Balendos applauds his commitment but, unfortunately, it’s now time for him to pay the piper – he’ll die by the hands of the newest addition to the list of friends Duke’s forsaken!
He sics Kouji and his invincible bot over to fight; still, Duke is determined to find a way to rescue him.

Mission Objective: Reduce the Mazinger Z under 60% HP and use the convince command
Mission Failure: Grendizer or Mazinger destroyed, dealing damage to Great Mazinger
Kouji isn’t that resilient in his current state but both the Mazinger and Great Mazinger pack a hefty punch. Be somewhat careful because a clean hit from both their strongest attacks could take a big chunk off the Grendizer’s HP.

Duke moves onward and that’s all.

Enemy Phase!

Once more, Kouji grumbles about defeating Duke who, in return, thinks to himself that he needs to get in closer and find a way to break the mind control.

And they do the same.

Player Phase!

We’ll keep our distance as most of the Mazinger’s weapons are close-range.

: You’ll have to forgive me, Kouji, but I’ve to goad Balendos into a false sense of security!
: …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpWn-1G1e0

Enemy Phase!

Duke wrecks two Minifoos for morale, leaving the others as spares.
Just to avoid a lucky crit killing Kouji, I just have him defend.

Player Phase!

Just move Duke adjacent and select the command as instructed.

: Hrm?! What is he doing?!
: Pull yourself together, Kouji!
: …
: You’re being controlled by Balendos! Come back to your senses, Kouji!
: Urk…Grrgh…
: drat it… it’s not working?!
: Fool; the mind controller is in here with me! So long as that’s intact, Kouji’ll obey!
: Heh…heheheh…
: What’s so funny?!
: You are, Balendos. Now I know what I must do to save him – my thanks!
: Rrgh, curses…! Still, do you actually think you stand a chance against the Great Mazinger?!
: The renowned hero responsible for defeating the Mycenae Empire… it’ll certainly be a strong enemy!
: Hmhmhm… I will enjoy personally wringing the life out of you!
: (The Great Mazinger could be a big boost to our forces, so I can’t destroy it…! I’ll just have to figure out some way to immobilize it!)
: W-wings…
: ?!
: The wings’… compartment…
: Kouji?!
: Hit it there… it’ll power down for a—
: That’s enough out of you! Is the mind control not working?!

*Zaaaaap!*

: !!
: Kouji…! Hold on, I’ll be saving you soon!

Enemy Phase!

We just need to get a hit to connect against Balendos. Better yet, he’ll readily seek us out now.

: Come and feel the might of the Great Mazinger!
: I just have to get a clean hit on its back…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQE3fIsl5dc
Ow.

: drat it, he got me!
: There! Come back to normal, Kouji!
: Urgh….gck…!!
: I told you, Duke Fleed! Nothing will work while the mind controller is still in one piece!
: Come on, Kouji! I know a man of your caliber can break his control!
: …Hrk…!
: You and your Mazinger Z fought and beat Dr. Hell yourselves, so this should be nothing to you!
: …Rrgh…!
: Or are you going to let said Mazinger be turned into an agent of evil?!
: !
: Will you let it actually become a devil?!
: Uurgh…! GRAAAAAH!!

: Wh-what?!
: Kouji…!
: Sorry, Duke. For a second there, I almost forgot something real important…!
: That the Mazinger’s no agent of evil, but of peace!
: Idiocy! Didn’t you, yourself, say that it could be either a god or a devil?!
: Zip it! I don’t care about being either of those!
: Wha?!
: I’m Kouji Kabuto – pilot of the Mazinger Z, the guardian of peace. That’s more than enough to me!
: Bl-Blast you…!
: Kouji!
: Right, I’ll show this guy how a Mazinger oughta be used! And then I’ll yank Tetsuya’s Great right out from under him!

Player Phase!

Kouji’s got his proper ride back and it’s pretty much tailor made for him: strong melee attacks and a bulky frame… though I do get kick out of the fact that switching to it has made Kouji more vulnerable than aboard his untouchable TFO.
Like I said before, it lacks a bit in range but we can make do – when it’s in range, the Mazinger’s pretty high-powered.

We still can’t destroy Balendos – we’ve to weaken him under 60%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GIv5leGPOU
:pcgaming:

Balendos sees that the Great Mazinger can’t handle much more and ejects. He hasn’t run, though, bringing in his forces to just destroy everything and be done with it.
He’s brought a gaggle of saucerbeasts, too, but the Nahel Argama arrives just then – time to fight back.

Now it’s just a straight clean-up. The new Saucerbeasts are stronger than other mooks we’ve fought thus far, and their AI likes to gang up on folks, but it’s easy if you take it slow.

Still not strong enough to break A.T. Fields, though.

With some help from Light and Asuka, Iino goes and blasts one of the Jinjins. And I just remembered I haven’t deployed Mondo’s worthless rear end thus far… I’ll need to fix that next mission.

Let’s have Kirakuni engage his first enemy.

No kill but that’s fine – Beecha comes over and wraps it up.

Judau and Vega do their thing.

I long for the day where I no longer need this babysitting gig.

And Puru Two finally gets a boost to her Cyber Newtype powers.

Enemy Phase!

Those spare Minifoos serve their purpose as free kills for Kouji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zOKdw8fwKo
Two-in-one Rocket Punches.

One thing that surprised me is that nearly all the Saucerbeasts seemed to have a problem with Ginga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x70M4v33FXc
At least it lets me show this.

:gonk:

Thankfully, the last Gubigubi is out of range and goes after Kaine.

These are especially annoying because they, obviously, have shields.

Puru Two and Beecha run after the stuff Ginga weakened, taking a kill each (and levels).

Go, Vega!

Perfect.

Not really any need for this but having the Cellfighter recharge the Dendoh gives some nice exp.

Eris learns trust, even.

While we close in on Balendos, we turn our sights to the surviving Koakoa.
Judau finishes it off.

Bright takes the last Gubigubi and, surprisingly, learns Accelerate.

Now to wrap this up!

: I don’t need the Great Mazinger to claim your head!
: Well, I and the Grendizer would never be beaten by cowards!

: You’ve got some nerve using those dirty tricks against them, Balendos!
: Kch… I could’ve destroyed both Duke Fleed and Kouji Kabuto had things stayed their course…!
: Hah… Seems to me that Mr. “Captain of the Vegan Royal Guard” isn’t too keen on taking care of things himself.
: Yeah, he must not be too sure of his own power if he’s gotta pit folks against each other.
: How dare you!
: Bring it, Balendos! Someone like you isn’t giving us pause in a straight-up fight!

: Too bad, grandpa! Did ya really think the Mazinger Z would be done in by a creep like you?
: Or the Great Mazinger or Grendizer, for that matter!
: Enough, you brats! I’ll nail those impertinent mouths shut!
: Not happening! The two of us also got a major beef to settle with you after all that!

: I’m paying you back, with interest, for all that abuse!
: Keep on crying, boy! I’ll have you six feet under soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtwSlD7oWY8

Notable drops today were a Magnetic Coating and Super Alloy Nu-Z. Akira also had stuff to say but I forgot that when deploying:

: Using mind control to force Kouji to attack his friend… there’s low and then there’s you…!
: Your bellyaching means nothing to me! In battle, victory is everything!
: And there’s just no way we’re letting you take that victory today!

Balendos isn’t too happy with this defeat but he DID manage to grab a lot of data on the Great and runs off with it.
That’s all enemies taken care of and a crisis averted. We got lucky, Douglas sighs in relief, as the Vegans could have easily just stolen both Mazingers.
You can always count on “Bad Guy Hubris”.

Boss and Sayaka show up right then, happy to see Kouji and the Mazinger safe. Sayaka figures that’s the unit that really suits him but Kouji insists the TFO also fits him like a glove.
Boss wants to know where the enemy is and his goons, Nuke and Mucha, point out that the battle’s already over – looks like they were too late for the party, despite Boss’ haste. Kouji appreciates the effort nonetheless.

While Kouji and Sayaka get reacquainted, Boss promises it’ll be smooth sailing now that he’s on the job – Nuke and Mucha are nowhere near as confident. Asuka looks on, pondering the arrival of another group of Three Stooges. Seems like we got quite a lot of those nowadays.
Asuka isn’t sure she’d put the Getter Team on the same level as Kaine and co, though Akira turns the table by asking if the three EVA kids don’t count as well? “You better not be bunching me together with that idiot and the First Child!” she threatens.
Boss asks around to find Daisuke (and is jealous of his good looks); when he speaks up, Sayaka calls in Hikaru.

Daisuke is surprised to say the least but Hikaru says she’s here to fight alongside him and the others. She made up her mind to do so during Operation Yashima and will not take “no” for an answer.
Sayaka vouches for her piloting skill, having received some extreme training in the Photon Lab. “S-Since when…?” Kouji asks and is ignored.
Daisuke isn’t too keen on having her, a woman, fighting and Asuka gets in his face: “Now that’s old-fashioned and then some. What about all the other girls in the team, huh?”. Daisuke argues that it isn’t women’s fate to do battle and then it’s Domon’s turn argue back: “When a person is determined to fight, their gender matters not. If you’re worried, then watch her back.”

Hikaru insists she wants to help and, at length, Daisuke understands and thanks her. Kouji’s glad to see that issue taken care of, though Asuka figures he shouldn’t say anything – today’s mess is all on him. True and that’s why he’ll be working twice as hard to make up for it and, in truth, she’s eager to see what the original Super Robot can do.
One last thing: Sayaka’s brought Kouji’s old pilot suit and helmet, courtesy of Shirou. Seeing these again is quite the nostalgic sight to him and Boss adds that Kouji’s brother worked daily on keeping the helmet shining.
So, now there’s the question: will Kouji wear his new suit or the old one?

This IS an actual choice, determining what appearance Kouji’ll have for the rest of the game. I don’t care too much about his skintight space suit, so it’s back to the classics!

And he switches to the Mazinger’s suit instantly! He’s very attached to it after wearing it for so long; had you chosen the other, he says he wants to keep those dear memories safe inside his head.

Yumi contacts Kouji's father Kenzo to let him know that the Mazingers are all right, due to the efforts of Kouji and Daisuke.
Umon’s actually sent a recent request for Kenzo and he’s in the middle of putting the outer armor on a new Spazer; once that’s done, he’ll send it over to the guy. Umon and Yumi have also been building Earth Spazers of their own and they’re almost finished – hopefully, they’ll be useful to Kouji and the others.

As Yumi signs off, Tetsuya walks in, pleading with Kenzo to let him join the fight too.
Kenzo refuses, saying that he’s currently working on a fix for the Great Mazinger’s weak spot and also some new weapon. If Tetsuya’s to make proper use of all those, then his body needs to be in top shape – if he tried to use it now he'd probably be knocked unconscious. He understands how he feels but, right now, Tetsuya’s got to focus on his rehab.

Jun agrees, knowing that it won’t be long before he’s ready to get to work.
Tetsuya accepts, though asks if it’d be possible to speed up the modifications on the Great? Kenzo can do that, yes.
Meanwhile, Tetsuya tells Kouji and Ryouma to wait a bit more: he’ll rise from his ashes and they’ll fight together again.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 24, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I completely forgot that Kouji's outfit was a choice you could make. It's an interesting touch that adds a little bit to this game's overall look and feel.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Now that Mazinger's back, I feel I can do a small rant about it's treatment in the localization called Tranzor Z.

Now when I saw it as a small kid, I had no idea that there was a thing as japanese anime, that subbing was a thing done to japanese anime and all that. I just knew that this was a really cool show that at times really confused me. This wasn't just bad dubbing or heavy censorship, it wasn't Funimation style whitewashing of anything that could possibly be considered offensive, it turned out to be giving the show to a company that literally did not give a poo poo. For example:

1. Mazinger Z ran 92 episodes. Three B Productions only did 65 episodes, which was standard number of episodes for syndication. Now, I will freely admit there were several episodes that could have been dropped and not affected anything, there were several other episodes that would have been pure nightmare fuel for little kids. But they apparently chose their episodes at random. There were a lot of major arcs dropped, and several series changers, such as the Plider getting wrecked and needing to be rebuilt. Or when the Afrota S was completely destroyed and they built Sayaka her new Diana mech. No explanations given, just one day hovercraft, next day jet powered plider. Really confused me and my friends as to what happened.
The really stupid thing is they never bothered to remove references to those cut episodes. You might recall the famous Mazinger Z episode where Koji had the Afrota equipped with booster rockets to enable Mazinger to fly, teasing Sayaka about how her mech now looked much better. They actually had a flashback to that scene in an episode of Tranzor, which again confused me and my friends because we could not remember that happening at all.

2. Both heavy censorship in some episodes, and a really sloppy way of covering them up. The best example I have is the very first episode. In Tranzor, an early scene had Koji and his brother Shiro relaxing at home, talking to their live-in housekeeper. In the US version that was literally the only appearance she made, and no mention of her was ever made again. Because in Mazinger Ashura drops by thier house, interrogates the maid for the location of Koji's grandfather, then proceeds to murder her. Now I can understand this being edited as it was a pretty intense scene, not to mention when the brothers return to find her body and start panicking. Not exactly kid friendly material. However to pad out the time caused by removing this scene, they showed their laziness again, and caused me confusion the entire series.

See, they had a scene where Koji's grandpa, half buried under rubble and dying, still has the strength to start talking about Mazinger's weapons, and including scenes showing these weapons in action. HOWEVER, NONE OF THESE WEAPONS WERE EVER USED OR SEEN BECAUSE THEY WEREN"T MAZINGER"S WEAPONS. They spliced in action footage from the Great Mazinger series. So the entire series I was wondering when Mazinger would start throwing his chest piece like a boomerang, or shooting lightning out of his fingers. I always thought they would be some kind of mid-season upgrade which never happened.

I know there were other serious edits to other episodes, the only way to identify when they were done is to look for the obvious clue. Another serious source of confusion to my little mind is once in awhile instead of the usual launch sequence, they would show Koji getting shot through tubes, jumping into a strange fighter jet, then having Mazinger shot out from the ocean instead of a swimming pool. Yes, they used Great Mazinger launch footage to pad out time from scene cutting.

4. Let's not forget Boss was renamed Bobo, and Shiro was named Toad. Which shows Koji's parents really hated him.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Small confession to make, ever since I got into Super Robot Wars... there was one mech I always have attachment to and that's Mazinger Z... yes he's outdated by Great and heck Grendizer but there's a few reasons why he still stands strong today.

1, Kouji is the framework of all hotblooded characters, ever HB protagonist in mechdom came from Kouji.

2, Mazinger Z is known as the Iron Wall and it shows... no matter what gets thrown at it, he ALWAYS hits back hard.

3, Sayaka is the first tomboy heroine in Animedom, just like Sayla Mass created Hentai

4, BOSS BOROT RULES! He is one ballsy motherfucker and the fact that his will is absolute concrete over the years demonstrates how popular he is.

So we have Kouji in the Mazinger Z, Sayaka in the Diana A, Boss in Boss Borot as well as Nuke and Mucha and then we get Hikaru in the TFO.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016

Rabidredneck posted:

Now that Mazinger's back, I feel I can do a small rant about it's treatment in the localization called Tranzor Z.

Now when I saw it as a small kid, I had no idea that there was a thing as japanese anime, that subbing was a thing done to japanese anime and all that. I just knew that this was a really cool show that at times really confused me. This wasn't just bad dubbing or heavy censorship, it wasn't Funimation style whitewashing of anything that could possibly be considered offensive, it turned out to be giving the show to a company that literally did not give a poo poo. For example:

1. Mazinger Z ran 92 episodes. Three B Productions only did 65 episodes, which was standard number of episodes for syndication. Now, I will freely admit there were several episodes that could have been dropped and not affected anything, there were several other episodes that would have been pure nightmare fuel for little kids. But they apparently chose their episodes at random. There were a lot of major arcs dropped, and several series changers, such as the Plider getting wrecked and needing to be rebuilt. Or when the Afrota S was completely destroyed and they built Sayaka her new Diana mech. No explanations given, just one day hovercraft, next day jet powered plider. Really confused me and my friends as to what happened.
The really stupid thing is they never bothered to remove references to those cut episodes. You might recall the famous Mazinger Z episode where Koji had the Afrota equipped with booster rockets to enable Mazinger to fly, teasing Sayaka about how her mech now looked much better. They actually had a flashback to that scene in an episode of Tranzor, which again confused me and my friends because we could not remember that happening at all.

2. Both heavy censorship in some episodes, and a really sloppy way of covering them up. The best example I have is the very first episode. In Tranzor, an early scene had Koji and his brother Shiro relaxing at home, talking to their live-in housekeeper. In the US version that was literally the only appearance she made, and no mention of her was ever made again. Because in Mazinger Ashura drops by thier house, interrogates the maid for the location of Koji's grandfather, then proceeds to murder her. Now I can understand this being edited as it was a pretty intense scene, not to mention when the brothers return to find her body and start panicking. Not exactly kid friendly material. However to pad out the time caused by removing this scene, they showed their laziness again, and caused me confusion the entire series.

See, they had a scene where Koji's grandpa, half buried under rubble and dying, still has the strength to start talking about Mazinger's weapons, and including scenes showing these weapons in action. HOWEVER, NONE OF THESE WEAPONS WERE EVER USED OR SEEN BECAUSE THEY WEREN"T MAZINGER"S WEAPONS. They spliced in action footage from the Great Mazinger series. So the entire series I was wondering when Mazinger would start throwing his chest piece like a boomerang, or shooting lightning out of his fingers. I always thought they would be some kind of mid-season upgrade which never happened.

I know there were other serious edits to other episodes, the only way to identify when they were done is to look for the obvious clue. Another serious source of confusion to my little mind is once in awhile instead of the usual launch sequence, they would show Koji getting shot through tubes, jumping into a strange fighter jet, then having Mazinger shot out from the ocean instead of a swimming pool. Yes, they used Great Mazinger launch footage to pad out time from scene cutting.

4. Let's not forget Boss was renamed Bobo, and Shiro was named Toad. Which shows Koji's parents really hated him.

I wish Mazinger Z did throw his heatsink as a boomerang, I know it was mentioned in the Grendizer vs Great Mazinger movie which this chapter is based off.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
If we're talking about old anime dubs, may as well share the story of how my cool grandfather got me into SRW nearly a decade after his death, and how G4 came close to preventing it. It's a pretty pointless, meandering story about a couple minor coincidence, but it's pretty neat, I think, and it definitely blew my mind at the time.

So, I was a kid in the nineties, as many people were, and I'd sometimes visit my grandfather in New Hampshire. He was a pretty cool guy, he always tried to have stuff kids were currently interested in around the house to entertain me, and generally put a ton of effort into knowing the popular trends (his wisest move being just asking my mother what stuff I was into whenever a birthday or Christmas was coming up). In this story, this behavior manifested in his having a selection of VHS tapes with some cartoons on them for me to watch whenever TV failed me (this was years before Cartoon Network would become basic cable, it was still in the mythical realm of "extended cable" that like three people bothered to shell out for, and Disney was still a subscription service, leaving Nickelodeon as the only kids-only channel, which isn't much selection).

Now, this collection included an episode of Dragonball, which would later contribute to me finally deciding to watch DBZ, but more importantly, there was a tape I would later (read: ten minutes ago, prepping this post) figure out was most likely a VHS release of Starvengers, the English adaptation of Getter Robo G (it could also have been Robo Formers, a VHS-only redub). The robot stuck with me, the way it could combine into different forms by rearranging the order of the jets. The blue one was my immediate favorite, and was piloted by the coolest dude of the three. I was about five, so that was as much information as I retained from the viewing (also, I distinctly remember that Liger was fighting underwater at one point in the episode I watched, if any astute reader wants to identify the specific episode of Getter Robo it was adapted from).

Flash forward to high school, and I'm taking a 3D animation course at this vocational high school thing where you replace your elective classes with something useful, and a classmate brings a flash drive to help him slack off, containing a ZSNES loaded up with games. He copied the folder into his schoolwork folder, so the rest of the class gradually copied it for themselves over the network, or directly from him. I was among the last to do it, and ended up getting a flash drive specifically to keep it when the school year ended (fifty bucks for one gigabyte back then, almost exactly a decade ago, now you can get that for five bucks and it'll be shaped like a little skateboard). During my time peeking over shoulders at the games being played during class, I noticed stuff like Final Fantasy VI and other stuff that's well-known in the US, but one game caught my eye that was unfamiliar, but I certainly recognized the Gundams. After getting the emulator home, I played through the Squeenix stuff, including a fan-translated Frontmission, 7th Saga, and other cult classics, but in all my digging, I can never find the one that looked like that Gundam SRPG I'd seen.

G4 had taken over TechTV a year or two prior, I'd bugged my mother half to death to get the cable tier with TechTV, because XPlay sounded cool on the digital guide (and was totally worth it, btw). One of my favorite additions from G4's side of the equation was a British series called Robot Wars, or rather, Super Robot Wars, by the point in its run I came in watching. Good stuff, basically Battlebots except I'd say Battlebots treated things more like boxing, while Robot Wars was more like pro wrestling in its commentary and promos. Anyway, if I'd given a thought to the possible release dates of such things, I'd have realized, that game titled "Super Robot Wars 3" was not, in fact, a bad licensed game based on a British TV series made like a decade after the SNES stopped being produced, and might have investigated it sooner. But, eventually, I did fire up Super Robot Wars 3, and discovered it was the one I'd been looking for. Anyway, I might have lost interest due to the extremely swingy difficulty and perfunctory story, had I not noticed something very strange about one of the robots. I had seen it before. Or rather, its basic premise, as this was the original Getter and not G, not that I'd be able to truly tell the difference using such an old memory. That's what really caught my interest, and drew me into the game completely, as I began to investigate the different robots and their series. I might have gotten into SRW later, under different circumstances, but what made me an instant fan in that particular moment in time was a crappy English dub on VHS my grandfather picked up without really knowing anything about it, just figuring his grandson would have fun with it, and it took like a year longer than it needed to because of robotic punchsports.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

heavybassX posted:

4, BOSS BOROT RULES! He is one ballsy motherfucker and the fact that his will is absolute concrete over the years demonstrates how popular he is.

There are a number of Great Mazinger episodes available on the net, and one of my biggest complaints about that show is how they relegated Boss into a pure butt-monkey. In Mazinger, yea he provided a fair bit of comic relief, but he was also protrayed as a guy who would stand by his friends no matter what. Several episodes had him saving the day in some way, and while he may have piloted a literal scrap pile he showed he could be formidable in his own way.

But Great Mazinger, all the episodes I've seen had him be nothing but an incompetant nincompoop. Even in the very few instances he was allowed to do something heroic, it was either short lived or he screwed up somehow and his heroism was relegated to being a fluke of some kind.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Most of the animations in this game are pretty lackluster, especially in comparison to Z despite being on the same console, but goddamn that Thunder Break looked amazing.

Also I'm glad you made the objectively correct choice, Brunom. The Grendizer helmet looks terrible, Kouji has to wear the red suit + Photon Power Labs-shaped helmet. It's just right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MX was absolutely fantastic for the time it came out. It's not as good as stuff that came later by at the time it was absolutely the high-end of SRW animations. It's worth remembering that SRWZ came out 4 years later.

In comparison Super Robot Wars Alpha 2 came out 3 years after Alpha.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Most of the animations in this game are pretty lackluster, especially in comparison to Z despite being on the same console, but goddamn that Thunder Break looked amazing.

Also I'm glad you made the objectively correct choice, Brunom. The Grendizer helmet looks terrible, Kouji has to wear the red suit + Photon Power Labs-shaped helmet. It's just right.

Comparing it to Z is a bit unfair, considering it was a wholly different engine and it came out four years later. The better match-up would be Alpha 2 since it released pretty much a few months before this one.

Edit: Blah, Imp beat me to it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Because I can't read Japanese, when this choice came up I thought it would decide whether Kouji got the TFO or Mazinger Z for the rest of the game, and I was afraid of losing the unit I didn't pick altogether. I went with the Mazinger of course, but that it only changed the costume is interesting and cool.

EclecticTastes posted:

If we're talking about old anime dubs, may as well share the story of how my cool grandfather got me into SRW nearly a decade after his death, and how G4 came close to preventing it.
Your grandfather sounds like he was a cool dude. Ironically, it mirrors how mecha protagonist's own grandfathers left giant robots for their grandchildren to pilot.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 13, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Your grandfather sounds like he was a cool dude. Ironically, it mirrors how mecha protagonist's own grandfathers left giant robots for their grandchildren to pilot.

He was, I got my Super Nintendo from him (with the Super Game Boy, no less), and he introduced me to cream soda, for which I'll always be grateful. Much like a mecha protagonist's grandfather, he was killed by a sinister organization that operates well outside the laws of man and god, or in other words, the tobacco industry, hey-oooooo!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

He was, I got my Super Nintendo from him (with the Super Game Boy, no less), and he introduced me to cream soda, for which I'll always be grateful. Much like a mecha protagonist's grandfather, he was killed by a sinister organization that operates well outside the laws of man and god, or in other words, the tobacco industry, hey-oooooo!
Lung cancer took one of my grandparents too. The most sinister industry indeed. :smith:

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

He was killed by an Hashassin?

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016

Rabidredneck posted:

There are a number of Great Mazinger episodes available on the net, and one of my biggest complaints about that show is how they relegated Boss into a pure butt-monkey. In Mazinger, yea he provided a fair bit of comic relief, but he was also protrayed as a guy who would stand by his friends no matter what. Several episodes had him saving the day in some way, and while he may have piloted a literal scrap pile he showed he could be formidable in his own way.

But Great Mazinger, all the episodes I've seen had him be nothing but an incompetant nincompoop. Even in the very few instances he was allowed to do something heroic, it was either short lived or he screwed up somehow and his heroism was relegated to being a fluke of some kind.

When the updated episodes get to the last one, there's a scene that justifies Boss's worth to Tetsuya and if you are not convinced by that... his performance against Duke Gorgon in the Kaiser movie sealed the deal for me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is Super Robot Wars, you can turn goddamn anybody into the god-king of the universe.

...maybe not any given robot, though.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Glazius posted:

This is Super Robot Wars, you can turn goddamn anybody into the god-king of the universe.

...maybe not any given robot, though.

Are there enough credits in the universe to make the ZZ mechs strong enough for endgame in a gimmick run?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ardeem posted:

Are there enough credits in the universe to make the ZZ mechs strong enough for endgame in a gimmick run?

Sure, especially in NG+ with all the extra Haros. It'll be a wee bit slower but you can absolutely do it (though I wouldn't recommend it in MXP).

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I wonder how hard it would be to make the map renders into 3D-printable blueprints, because I would love the hell out of a printed version of that Borot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

“When a person is determined to fight, their genre matters not. If you’re worried, then watch her back.”

That's right, Real Robot, Super Robot, all that matters is their fighting spirit!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

That's right, Real Robot, Super Robot, all that matters is their fighting spirit!

Frickin' auto-correct; I had fixed this before! :argh:

But, to be fair, if anyone can speak of the lines between Real and Super being meaningless, it's the G Gundam folk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mazinger Z is pretty much unknown here in French Canada, but Grendizer was super popular when I was a kid. It was localized as Goldorak and all the characters had their names changed to the name of stars (Duke Fleed became Prince Arcturus for example).

So gently caress yeah Goldorak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtKvkVHaFE

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Grendizer, man how I loved that goddamn show.
For us it was this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQERjZOCtvM

And looordy now I realize how 1:1 the Arabic dub is. Remains to this day the most faithful dub I've ever seen.
To counter act that the only other mecha we got were Mazinger and Gundam Wing.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
All the Grendizer love as of late makes me wish we can see Grendizer return to SRW in a way.... it would be good in a handheld SRW, although for that to happen you need to bring back classic Kouji

• Locked thread