Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Man, since I started baking sourdough I've been going through a loaf in 3-4 days average. Just made some dough, current loaf is running low..

Never going to buy store bread again :)

Here's my latest and greatest, 50% whole wheat:

edit: i also noticed my starter is way more active when i feed it whole wheat flour instead of regular, is there some science behind this? more nutrients?

edit2: a question: how wet does a dough have to be to rise properly? can it be pretty dry? i'm tired of folding and flouring unruly wet doughs, it sticks to Everything.. going to buy one of those teflon baking surfaces soon.

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

I made rosemary and sea salt bagels!

these were made with instant yeast. I did try sourdough bagels the previous day but hadn't fed my starter enough recently so they were like awful slightly risen pancakes, I had to throw them away. Being from the UK we don't have a lot of great bagels in the shops (and not at all in the bakery near me) so these were amazing, best bagels I've ever had. I've sliced most of them up (I made 12 in total) and frozen them so I can grab them and toast them straight out the freezer.

Next on my list of breads to make is challah . I've never braided bread before (I've done a twist with two strands, but not a proper braid) so I'm excited to try that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

do the 6 braid, it's super easy

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

edit: i also noticed my starter is way more active when i feed it whole wheat flour instead of regular, is there some science behind this? more nutrients?

yep, whole grain flour has a higher ash content (read: more minerals) than white flour, which makes the cultures in your starter very happy.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
I did a three braid Challah for my sister's housewarming and it wasn't bad at all, had one false start but turned out okay:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
The girlfriend and I are cooking dinner for her family. We're doing homemade lasagna and I'd like to make fresh bread to go with it. Any suggestions for a loaf or recipe that anyone would recommend?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

bartlebee posted:

The girlfriend and I are cooking dinner for her family. We're doing homemade lasagna and I'd like to make fresh bread to go with it. Any suggestions for a loaf or recipe that anyone would recommend?

this is quick and works great, if you have French bread pans.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/french-bread-235423

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

bartlebee posted:

Kenji's focaccia is dead easy if you still have 10+ hours to dinner. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/easy-no-knead-olive-rosemary-pistachio-focaccia-kenji-recipe.html Just be aware that the top can burn FAST. Also, if your pan is well-seasoned, you can cut the oil in half to a tablespoon each below and on top.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

do the 6 braid, it's super easy
yea I want to do the 6 braid because it sounds more impressive hah. I was pretty kickass at making friendship bracelets as a kid so I think that'll put me in good stead.

bartlebee posted:

this - http://thecontentedbaker.com/roasted-garlic-baguettes/ When I made it I made one giant loaf instead of baguettes because the recipe in the book it's from is just one big loaf (you need to bake it for longer if it's one loaf - I think about 40-50mins), but you could do two large oval shapes, or even individual rolls. I imagine it'd go really well with lasagne. At the end of the day it's just a simple white bread recipe with roasted garlic in, so it's easy and tasty.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
drat, those all look really good. Thanks for the suggestions; now I just have to choose. I figure I'll probably do some hour breadsticks and then a loaf of one of the other recipes posted. Will report back with amateur bread next weekend.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So continuing the thread of what should I make, I've made the Workhorse Loaf: Simple Crusty White Bread on Sunday for 4 weeks now and a no knead once. I'm thinking of branching out but not sure where to start going from here. I don't have french bread pans or anything really more complicated that quick loaf pans and a dutch oven. Maybe start looking at more whole wheat recipes?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Carillon posted:

So continuing the thread of what should I make, I've made the Workhorse Loaf: Simple Crusty White Bread on Sunday for 4 weeks now and a no knead once. I'm thinking of branching out but not sure where to start going from here. I don't have french bread pans or anything really more complicated that quick loaf pans and a dutch oven. Maybe start looking at more whole wheat recipes?

Sourdough!!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

A cinnamon/raisin bread is good once you've got the simple white bread recipe down. You can do a swirl or not.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Try a miche, the flavor is amazing! Weekendbakery.com has a good recipe

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

artificial posted:

yea I want to do the 6 braid because it sounds more impressive hah. I was pretty kickass at making friendship bracelets as a kid so I think that'll put me in good stead.

I had never braided anything before, but I made challah a few months ago. I decided to look up how to braid it and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP6j7esQyjk

My recipe made two loaves, so for the first I figured I'd keep it simple and do the 3-strand. That went so well that I decided to go whole hog on the other and make it a 9-strand. The both turned out great, although the 9-strand was a little flat.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ive been baking the no knead sourdough for weeks now. Loaf 7 cooling right now :)

feed your starter erryday :q: :q:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I made some biscuits.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm doing the carmelized onion + goatcheese (~20% and ~5%) thing again today, w/ 30% spelt because oh yeah i have some spelt flour

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 10, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stringent posted:

I made some biscuits.

My mouth started to water. No exaggeration.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

First sourdough I'm actually proud of. I tried a few no knead recipes but they were all very high hydration, next to impossible to work with, and barely rose at all. Ended up using this one cut in half https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/.

Got one ear, but the score lines didn't really separate that much. I just used a razor blade since I couldn't find anything the right size to use as an improvised handle.

pumpie2
Nov 17, 2009
Okay I know this has probably has been talked about before but can anyone recommend a good bagel recipe? I can never get a good rise and they always seem to deflate as they hit the water. I have tried four times now and I'm starting to feel like bagels just won't ever be a thing I can make. I just started reading this thread as bread making is a new hobby for me but I haven't reached a point where I'm comfortable making anything other than plain bloomer without clinging to my Paul Hollywood bread book .

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have made Peter Reinheart's :bagl: a few times with great success.

Since converting his weights is a pita (the sponge is 100% hydration and I never write down the math) my next attempt will be using these weights with the above method. Imo you need the diatastic malt powder. You are overpoofing if they are deflating at the water as well.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Yeah the malt powder is essential to me as well.

My first time making bagels i would always have trouble shaping them. I would roll them out individually and adjust them to look the right shape, and it would take so long the bagels would be overproofed. Now I just quickly wrap them around my hand and fiddle with them a little and they're a lot better, though never quite perfect.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Making a poolish from FWSY but mixing in cheese and going to do it in pans like the pan au gruyere from Tartan.

But I'm a great big dummy and didn't bring my cheese to room temp before mixing it in, so about 10 seconds after mixing my poolish in I also mixed in the cheese and brought my entire dough down to like, 65 degrees.

I assume I just severely retarded the rise (rather than just ruining the loaf), which FWSY calls 2-3 hours under normal circumstances, but I'm not sure how much extra time I should plan for.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Put a glass of water in the microwave, 1-2 minutes, use that as a proof box. Done!

I'm curious why they call for the cheese in the poolish? Is it a kneed or turn & fold method? I'm doing a cheddar jalapeno now and mixed everything in after the first turn, following an overnight poolish 1.5hr autolyse and then 30 minutes after adding salt.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All the Tartine recipes use levain but I'm generally more comfortable using poolish so I just mixed the two.

I mixed poolish around 7 last night. Did final mix around 8 this morning then added cheese at first fold. Thanks for the microwave tip!

pumpie2
Nov 17, 2009
You guys were completely right. I skipped the first proving ( I have been altering a recipe for sweeter pecan and maple syrup bagels) and finally have bagels that are not basically crunchy Frisbee's! They are a little ugly but still a hundred times better than what I was achieving before.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Are those poppy seeds?? Jesus Christ it must be like eating sand. (They look good shapewise though)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
jesus dude are you trying to make someone piss a false positive?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

PFlats posted:

jesus dude are you trying to make someone piss a false positive?

lmao more like catch a small buzz

poppy seeds do rule though, i bet that tastes amazing

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So this is a question I haven't been really able to find an answer to, I've been feeding and culturing a starter for about 3 weeks now, was looking to use it this weekend. The issue is I just threw together some flour and water and have been feeding it by look/feel rather than percentages. It grows and climbs the sides so I assume it's active, but I realize I don't know the hydration level. Is there an easy way to tell what that looks like, if it's stiff/liquid and how much water extra/less I'll need for a given recipe?

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
You can just calculate it as 100% hydration if it's close to the consistency of a thick pancake batter. Honestly, the small amount of starter you'll be using compared to the water/flour for the rest of the dough it really doesn't make that huge of a deal in the finished product.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you've been keeping track of your random volume measurements it's roughly a 2/1 four to water for 100%

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm not an experienced baker, but I'm trying to cook more, so I made this cinnamon raisin bread yesterday. It looked beautiful, and the flavor was great, but the crust came out a bit...crusty, for my taste. It was dry, and a little tough, without being hard. Is that suggestive of anything in particular I might have done wrong?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
sup, breadgoons

i've been asymptotically approaching my ideal sourdough boule for a while now. for this batch, I tried doing the bulk rise in the fridge, with the idea being to retard yeast growth while letting the lacto do their thing. it ended up taking about 60 hours to triple in volume, but the results were really, really good -- really robust, deep flavor. perfect texture, too.

the downside is that i have to plan way, way ahead.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Today I made my first two loaves of bread from Flour Water Salt Yeast and oh my god am I glad I did this. It's really tasty, surprising for my first attempt, but I weighed everything and followed the directions and it turned out amazing. Guess I'll keep working on this for a few weeks and then move up to the more involved ones?

loaf #1

loaf #2

loaf #1 cut open

The rise was pretty fast because my apartment was so warm that the dough was 80.4F when I finished mixing, and passed the poke test after proofing for only about 50 minutes.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Good job, those loaves look fantastic already! Can't wait to see what you produce in the future

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Third sourdough with this recipe and I seem to finally be getting the hang of it.

Crumb is much better this time; previous two loaves both had lots of giant air bubbles. I slightly upped the hydration by using all of the levain instead of just the amount the recipe called for, and used way less flour when shaping.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Two more loaves, same recipe. Got one of these not quite right-side down as you can see in the pictures. :)

These turned out even better than the last, I'm guessing partly because I was better at the stretching/folding part of the process. The crust was a really nice blend of crunchy with some chewy. My friends loved it too and it went well with stew, soaking up the broth readily.

inside:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Anyone got a good cornbread recipe? The one I've been using is from a book from the 60s and it's dry and bland.