Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It's ok if you buy flock or whatever from Woodland Scenics, but lol forever if you buy their water effects or their sticks or pretty much anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume they sell sticks for the ancient railroad dudes who never leave their elaborate basement setups and just spend off time carefully paging through catalogues for things to add to their tables.

Also, as hilarious as they are, their trees and stuff were always way cheaper than the GW ones that were basically the same thing.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
My local hobby store is closed for renovations, so I went into a GW to grab three paints and got the new White Dwarf on a whim.

46 dollardoos

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WAR FOOT posted:

My local hobby store is closed for renovations, so I went into a GW to grab three paints and got the new White Dwarf on a whim.

46 dollardoos

Where the gently caress are you

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

australia

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

poo poo, sorry. $41. Not $46.

Carroburg Crimson
Stormhost Silver
Waystone Green
White Dwarf

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what have you done

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It is true what they say about Australia.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I thought the paints would just be $6 like normal :negative:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Do not give someone more money for less volume of worse-quality paints I mean come on

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A very lucky country indeed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

Why did you pay if it rang up at nearly fifty dollarydoos

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with wanting a lot of figures to represent your army. Some people live the visual appeal of tons of soldiers going at it. But the rules need to be able to cope with the model count. Things like a squad leader or standard bearer or musician or any kind of squad upgrade are probably best thought of as generic upgrades to a sqad with that play style though. Getting caught in the specifics for each model drags everything to a crawl.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TerraGoetia posted:

I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with wanting a lot of figures to represent your army. Some people live the visual appeal of tons of soldiers going at it. But the rules need to be able to cope with the model count. Things like a squad leader or standard bearer or musician or any kind of squad upgrade are probably best thought of as generic upgrades to a sqad with that play style though. Getting caught in the specifics for each model drags everything to a crawl.

a hundred other god drat games already figured this poo poo out gently caress you games workshop

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

S.J. posted:

a hundred other god drat games already figured this poo poo out gently caress you games workshop

Games Workshop also figured it out and it was called Epic.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Games Workshop also figured it out and it was called Epic.

Games Workshop even figured it out again and it was called Warmaster.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Then they figured it out a third time and the forbidden lore of competent game design destroyed their minds, so they created the age of sigmar

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Then they figured it out a third time and the forbidden lore of competent game design destroyed their minds, so they created the age of sigmar

Age of Sigmar: standing on the shoulders of giants, and then promptly falling off to the sound of Yakety Sax

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Please, Bo5A wasn't that good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

lilljonas posted:

Games Workshop even figured it out again and it was called Warmaster.

I think my favourite thing about Warmaster is how multiple different independent companies recognised the simple genius of the Warmaster system and ported it to many different time periods - Napoleonic, ancients, cold war, WWII, future fights, you name it. The rules are used as a jumping off point for more games who tweaked and improved on the original formula.

Meanwhile GW commissions this system, takes a look at it, goes "NOT SELLING ENOUGH ELVES" and shitcans it after 6 months, never looking back.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

WAR FOOT posted:

Are you Too Polite or is it like a social anxiety thing? Why would you not say "Y'wot mate cost big bikkies no thanks"?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

Playing 40k is like playing Munchkin. For 3 hours.

I played Munchkin for the first time recently

and it is orders of magnitude more enjoyable than a game of 40k

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I would rather play nothing but Munchkin till the end of time than another game of 40k

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Vitamin P posted:

Are you Too Polite or is it like a social anxiety thing? Why would you not say "Y'wot mate cost big bikkies no thanks"?

australian consumer law is very strict. once you're in a shop you have to buy your way out or fight some snakes until the proprietor is satisfied.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MikeCrotch posted:

I think my favourite thing about Warmaster is how multiple different independent companies recognised the simple genius of the Warmaster system and ported it to many different time periods - Napoleonic, ancients, cold war, WWII, future fights, you name it. The rules are used as a jumping off point for more games who tweaked and improved on the original formula.

Meanwhile GW commissions this system, takes a look at it, goes "NOT SELLING ENOUGH ELVES" and shitcans it after 6 months, never looking back.

Warmaster is a pretty dated system nowadays but yeah when it came out it was pretty good.

If you love push your luck, you're gonna love warmaster/BKC/CWC

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Moola posted:

I would rather play nothing but Munchkin till the end of time than another game of 40k

Would you rather play 40k or be consumed by opossums? Assume you would be conscious for the duration of both options.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

MikeCrotch posted:

Warmaster/xxxxxx Commander is indeed an awesome ruleset. I even have an all-GW Warmaster army so can play at warhammer world.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Vitamin P posted:

The teller was a brushtail possum and he was worried about setting it off into a clawing fit.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Would you rather play 40k or be consumed by opossums? Assume you would be conscious for the duration of both options.

how big is the 40k game, are we talking apoc?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Moola posted:

how big is the 40k game, are we talking apoc?

Whatever bullshit a standard game is these days. 2000 points? One game, but also one regular opossum, working by itself.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ok fine

I would play a game of 40k, rather have an opossum slowly and painfully eat me to death

put that on the back of the box GW

"Preferable to slow torturous death by an opossum. I guess"

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Weird, I'd prefer torturous death by opossum to ever playing Munchkin again.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

Given the people who play Munchkin it's basically the same thing.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Would you rather play a full game of 40k Apocalypse or have a scrunt infestation in your home for a week?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

grassy gnoll posted:

Whatever bullshit a standard game is these days. 2000 points? One game, but also one regular opossum, working by itself.

You have to play apocalypse, to completion, and you keep playing games until you win one. Also you have to play tyranids and they get to play space marines.

Safety Factor posted:

I would rather torture people who insist on playing Munchkin to death

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Would you rather play a full game of 40k Apocalypse or have a scrunt infestation in your home for a week?
These are pretty much the same thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who the gently caress wants to play Munchkin in 2016? I see it in game stores but no one is ever playing it.

I ask the same question about Flux but I think that is to scam parents into buying stuff for their nerd kids based on the box theme.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've used Munchkin as a gateway game to other stuff with some people. As long as you only play it once you're ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Radish posted:

Who the gently caress wants to play Munchkin in 2016? I see it in game stores but no one is ever playing it.

I ask the same question about Flux but I think that is to scam parents into buying stuff for their nerd kids based on the box theme.

It's a great "babbies 1st or 2nd game" hell, I went crazy buying expansions and sets for it when I first got into games. I can see why it sells, there's a reason you'll always see it or Catan at every bookstore.
It can still be loads of fun with the right group*

*Monopoly will be fun with that group, but that doesn't make monopoly a good game either.

edit: Actually it's terrible for introducing an actual child to gaming. Really it just fits the role of showing an adult board/cardgames can be fun but it still requires them to be in on the joke that the rules are intentionally vague and it's a "Remember how you used to be a brat and have to argue about how games were played when you were a kid?"

• Locked thread