Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

All Australian airlines have banned the Note 7 and it may have burned down a house in SC.

Seriously people, get rid of these things. Buy a cheap sub $100 phone on Amazon or swappa to get you through until you get a replacement. But I would stop using them if your have them and return them

and suffer the shame of not being seen with the newest phone?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
So like. What if... The Note 7 had a replaceable battery?

E: It was meant to be a joke about how this thread hates user replaceable batteries, but now the non-user replaceable battery in the Note 7 is apparently a literal bomb and is banned from some airports. So, in this specific case, if it was the actual battery that was the issue, Samsung could recall the batteries themselves instead of the whole phone. Sorry I had to explain that.
VVVVV

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 8, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mogomra posted:

So like. What if... The Note 7 had a replaceable battery?

What are you talking about? Of course you can replace the battery. It just voids your warranty and fucks up the IP68 crap.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Thank you, fishmech.

You'd still be replacing it with an OEM battery if you like reliable and safe batteries, which would still have backfired in this event because it's either an OEM battery failure or a system power management failure. It would also be more difficult to diagnose (considerably so if the battery unique identifiers aren't visible in device info and only on the battery itself) and a more complicated process than most modern phone havers are willing to put up with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The flight bans move this into new territory. The bans aren't going to be lifted by Samsung saying 'lol, I think we got them all.'. They need to issue a sudden, silent, and forced update that bricks all affected devices. They need these removed from consumer hands in totality, otherwise the bans can't be lifted.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm leaning towards switching off of iPhone towards Android, and I haven't kept up on the device cycles; where in the wave of new phones are we as far as the major players go? Should I sit tight for new announcements and price drops on the last generation?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Teddybear posted:

I'm leaning towards switching off of iPhone towards Android, and I haven't kept up on the device cycles; where in the wave of new phones are we as far as the major players go? Should I sit tight for new announcements and price drops on the last generation?

Google will announce new NexusPixel phones in the next month but really unless you have a compelling reason to switch, just don't.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Teddybear posted:

So apparently some of Samsung's phones are turning into literal bombs. The LG V20 just got announced, and Google is going to be repurposing the Nexus line into a Google-branded Pixel line, that announcement is October 4th. Lenovorola released their Moto Z last month, which is still locked in to Verizon exclusivity but will be opened to GSM carriers by the end of the year.

e: of these I think that the Pixel phones are the most compelling, but there obviously hasn't been "official" word yet.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

nimper posted:

Google will announce new NexusPixel phones in the next month but really unless you have a compelling reason to switch, just don't.

I have a 5s and was hoping to upgrade to something more advanced, but neither the new stuff announced nor the sixes really do it for me. I don't have a ton tying me into Apple's infrastructure as far as exclusive/drm content.

Farchanter posted:

So apparently some of Samsung's phones are turning into literal bombs. The LG V20 just got announced, and Google is going to be repurposing the Nexus line into a Google-branded Pixel line, that announcement is October 4th. Lenovorola released their Moto Z last month, which is still locked in to Verizon exclusivity but will be opened to GSM carriers by the end of the year.

e: of these I think that the Pixel phones are the most compelling, but there obviously hasn't been "official" word yet.

Avoid Samsung, keep eye on LG and Google. Got it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

The flight bans move this into new territory. The bans aren't going to be lifted by Samsung saying 'lol, I think we got them all.'. They need to issue a sudden, silent, and forced update that bricks all affected devices. They need these removed from consumer hands in totality, otherwise the bans can't be lifted.

Even then, since you can start a fire at any time with any app designed to just run the phone as hot as possible, it's more or less an on demand fire. Even bricking phones won't work because people can just turn it off or put it in airplane mode and have a ready made fire bomb for the plane.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mango sentinel posted:

Any details on this?

In case you haven't found anything:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/08/deal-alert-get-free-moto-mod-purchase-moto-z-droid-z-force-droid/

quote:

You can get a free Incipio OffGRID Power Pack ($59.99 value) with the purchase of a Moto Z Droid with the promo code MOTOZPOWER. Or you can get a free JBL SoundBoost Speaker ($79.99 value) when you buy a Moto Z Force Droid with the promo code MOTOZSOUND.

Both codes can be applied at checkout when you shop on Moto's own website for the Moto Z Droid or Moto Z Force Droid.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

that's really cool.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Syrinxx posted:

Chip & PIN doesn't even exist in the US...

Obviously you haven't been to WalMart, Target, Walgreens, or CVS. Hell, Target phased it in last fall.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Obviously this is contrary to this threads hilariously singleminded groupthink, but the Note 7 is still an awesome phone. Once I get a replacement from work I fully plan to keep using it. I still use a Nexus for my own line and will probably get a Pixel since I can't root or mess around with my work phone, but the Note 7 is really good assuming you get a model without bad batteries.

Recalls happen, battery problems happen, did you all poo poo your pants like this over Tesla too? Lenovo? Etc.

Alternative pants posted:

Obviously you haven't been to WalMart, Target, Walgreens, or CVS. Hell, Target phased it in last fall.

I went to a CVS and Walmart as recent as Feb and I still had to swipe.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

US is going to chip and sig, not chip and pin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's chip and signature, not chip and pin.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Target supports chip & pin for the Redcard but yeah, otherwise it's chip & sign.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the RedCard isn't a real credit card.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I upgraded my Nexus 5X to 7.0 and the adaptive brightness seems like it's too dim all the time now no matter what the brightness slider is at. Is this what they meant by "better battery performance" in the patch notes? :rolleye:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Any details on this?

No, though it's kind of funny since Lenovo (which owns Motorola) had a big battery recall not that long ago.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/hf004122

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Obviously this is contrary to this threads hilariously singleminded groupthink, but the Note 7 is still an awesome phone. Once I get a replacement from work I fully plan to keep using it. I still use a Nexus for my own line and will probably get a Pixel since I can't root or mess around with my work phone, but the Note 7 is really good assuming you get a model without bad batteries.

Recalls happen, battery problems happen, did you all poo poo your pants like this over Tesla too? Lenovo? Etc.

The only other device(s) in recent memory that are on equal footing for consumer risk have been 'hoverboards' and yes, we did ban the poo poo out of them everywhere.

Samsung will put an updated device out that doesn't have the issues, but the one you own today is an unacceptable risk to keep around. Samsung will not provide the exact conditions leading to the thermal runaway and they also cannot provide an exact breakdown of which devices are affected. Because of that, every Note 7 in the field needs to be treated as if it's a minor bad day away from being a fireball. You don't gently caress around with faulty lion batteries.

As I said earlier though, since Samsung seems to be unable or unwilling to ID specific bad batches, it's going to become impossible to check for the suspect devices once replacement devices start hitting the channel. So, any place where it's important that you don't have a pocket bomb will keep the ban in place long after the replacement devices have come out unless Samsung is providing a means to identify the Rev2 version of the Note 7.

This has nothing to do with the merits of the Note 7 as a phone. It's going to be known as the phone that explodes and is likely going to continue to be banned from places other phones can go (like flights) that are going to make it near useless to own. Samsung needs to do something drastic about this to repair the branding of the device.

Internally, the issue was severe enough that Samsung has severed ties with their own affiliate battery production (Samsung SDI). It's a really big loving deal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You're completely correct and "recalls happen, battery problems happen" isn't disagreeing with anything you just said.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/08/vodafone-australia-confirms-nexus-6p-nougat-update-halted-huawei-working/

Finally some answers..

Nougat is delayed on the 6P, Huawei is working in it.

No news on the Nexus 6 and 9.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bull3964 posted:

The only other device(s) in recent memory that are on equal footing for consumer risk have been 'hoverboards' and yes, we did ban the poo poo out of them everywhere.

Samsung will put an updated device out that doesn't have the issues, but the one you own today is an unacceptable risk to keep around. Samsung will not provide the exact conditions leading to the thermal runaway and they also cannot provide an exact breakdown of which devices are affected. Because of that, every Note 7 in the field needs to be treated as if it's a minor bad day away from being a fireball. You don't gently caress around with faulty lion batteries.

As I said earlier though, since Samsung seems to be unable or unwilling to ID specific bad batches, it's going to become impossible to check for the suspect devices once replacement devices start hitting the channel. So, any place where it's important that you don't have a pocket bomb will keep the ban in place long after the replacement devices have come out unless Samsung is providing a means to identify the Rev2 version of the Note 7.

This has nothing to do with the merits of the Note 7 as a phone. It's going to be known as the phone that explodes and is likely going to continue to be banned from places other phones can go (like flights) that are going to make it near useless to own. Samsung needs to do something drastic about this to repair the branding of the device.

Internally, the issue was severe enough that Samsung has severed ties with their own affiliate battery production (Samsung SDI). It's a really big loving deal.

Oog. Thank you. I had been working on the assumption that all the reported explosion/fires had happened while charging, and that as long as I didn't charge while outside the room/sleeping I could mitigate risk. Can you put out a Li-Ion battery with a household extinguisher, or am I wildly optimistic?

I am asking this dumb question because I bought my phone to replace one that was stone-cold dead, so I don't have a spare, and my carrier, Verizon, is adopting the policy "Eh, not our problem, Samsung's" and offering only to let me exchange the phone (presumably permanently) for a different model with no change fee.

Ignore because I am a dummy. I called Verizon and they'll give me a loaner. Off to the store.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 8, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oog. Thank you. I had been working on the assumption that all the reported explosion/fires had happened while charging, and that as long as I didn't charge while outside the room/sleeping I could mitigate risk. Can you put out a Li-Ion battery with a household extinguisher, or am I wildly optimistic?

I am asking this dumb question because I bought my phone to replace one that was stone-cold dead, so I don't have a spare, and my carrier, Verizon, is adopting the policy "Eh, not our problem, Samsung's" and offering only to let me exchange the phone (presumably permanently) for a different model with no change fee.

Do you fly at all? If so there's a decent chance you won't be able to take your phone with you so it may be prudent to just exchange it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ignore because I am a dummy. I called Verizon and they'll give me a loaner. Off to the store.
Yeah, a household extinguisher is fine for a phone battery. Researchers just drop them in water, so that's ab option, also.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, a household extinguisher is fine for a phone battery. Researchers just drop them in water, so that's ab option, also.

Lithium? WTF? Or was that sarcasm, in which case, yeah, I totally fell for it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

The whole email just keeps slamming Samsung ("Moto Z Force Droid packs a rigorously-tested, high-quality battery...")

It's been a while since I've been in this thread because I like my phone, but I've always been a fan of Moto phones but the Moto Z looks terrible with that squre thing on the front. Also the back isn't rounded but I guess you're supposed to put something on it anyway.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lithium? WTF? Or was that sarcasm, in which case, yeah, I totally fell for it.

Water or soda is recommended for in-flight Li-Ion fires. There's not much raw elemental lithium in batteries.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bull3964 posted:

My bad. I only ever see people using PIN in my store.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but how do you use a chip without a pin? When I insert my chip card anywhere I've been in the world, literally nothing can happen without entering a pin. Or, do you mean chip, pin, then signature?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but how do you use a chip without a pin? When I insert my chip card anywhere I've been in the world, literally nothing can happen without entering a pin. Or, do you mean chip, pin, then signature?

Nope! You stick the card in and the display on the reader asks for a signature that isn't checked against the card or any database, the card gets charged.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Nope! You stick the card in and the display on the reader asks for a signature that isn't checked against the card or any database, the card gets charged.

I've never seen that, that's kinda hosed up!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never seen that, that's kinda hosed up!

Yes it is!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sounds like Tunga was spot on then huh?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What about debit cards? Do you have Interac or Maestro there? Do you just use swipe for those?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

What about debit cards? Do you have Interac or Maestro there? Do you just use swipe for those?

Some banks have chip debit cards; most are just swipe.

Remember, we just started the transition to chips. It's gonna take a while before all the swipe stuff goes away.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

My debit card is chip and PIN (in the rare case the chip reader works. 90% of the time it's still swipe and PIN)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

Meet the new and improved galaxy note *6*! Now with one less number (so we don't gently caress up next year's model) AND 100% less exploding battery! Thats right, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT LESS! And best of all, its Free! Thats right, absolutely FREE* when you trade in your un-exploded Galaxy Note 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
drat, my LG G4 just died to the bootloop fault. It's in warranty, so I know will get it fixed/replaced, but is there a reliable way to copy my data from it first? No super-valuable data on there, but it would be nice to be sure, particularly as my carrier's (Virgin UK) repair service delete everything off a phone when the fix it as standard practice.

And yes, I really should have backed up more often, particularly as someone mentioned the bootloop error to me last month. Fortunately most of my pictures etc are on a memory card.

Oh, and just when my day couldn't get much shittier, I tried dusting off my old phone, an Xperia Z1, which must have had some damage to the sim card slot. Pushing the card in gouged my sim to hell, so that'll need replacing too. Bugger.