Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

ya hes been here for like ~1 year?

tbf I play a lot of games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
a little kid stepped on my ankle while i was hooping w/ my mentee sorry if im toasty

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

i actually dont care whos factually old or new in terms of years its more so a description of your brain and also whether you type w/ capital letters or not

Ah, well I would say the posters that were most fun to play mafia with played right around when I first started in 2012 or so. 2013 was okay and it has just kinda rolled downhill since. Golden Zucchini, Dhaes, winvirus, Ecco, Mills, fronz, Authorman, Auryn, yuming, Power of Pecota, Scientastic, KhyrosFinalCut, Deadbeat Dad, Barehanded Brother, wins2172 or whatever his numbers were, Ernie when he had his cool long name, Cordyceps, Brazen Apothecary...these were the people playing good mafia back in the day. People you could have long debates with, that didn't go ad hominem on the first possible opportunity, people who you had to actually convince. It was a different, better time. I don't play mafia today really because it grosses me out how low effort the game is these days. People don't post, people don't argue or even defend their votes or opinions, they just put them out there and shitpost all around them in lieu of content. It's gross.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
friendly reminder any of those players you listed will quickly attack you for making large effort posts these days.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
including you

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

Podima posted:

how loving much money do you spend on alt accounts/avs/namechanges, god drat

no money, friend. do i know you? this is the only account/name i've ever had

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kashuno posted:

including you

I attack effort posts because that is how arguments are refined or shown to be weak arguments, I do not attack them because they are effort. I quite enjoy long, well thought out posts.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Spiros posted:

Ah, well I would say the posters that were most fun to play mafia with played right around when I first started in 2012 or so. 2013 was okay and it has just kinda rolled downhill since. Golden Zucchini, Dhaes, winvirus, Ecco, Mills, fronz, Authorman, Auryn, yuming, Power of Pecota, Scientastic, KhyrosFinalCut, Deadbeat Dad, Barehanded Brother, wins2172 or whatever his numbers were, Ernie when he had his cool long name, Cordyceps, Brazen Apothecary...these were the people playing good mafia back in the day. People you could have long debates with, that didn't go ad hominem on the first possible opportunity, people who you had to actually convince. It was a different, better time. I don't play mafia today really because it grosses me out how low effort the game is these days. People don't post, people don't argue or even defend their votes or opinions, they just put them out there and shitpost all around them in lieu of content. It's gross.

no way im reading this

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i disagree

##vote spiros

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

how loving much money do you spend on alt accounts/avs/namechanges, god drat

i never realized GG/AA was stuntastic

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ya I'm just looking back on why I played this game at all. It's pretty weird I still hang around here actually l0l

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stuntastic posted:

no money, friend. do i know you? this is the only account/name i've ever had

Ah someone else who posts in the Mafia community threads had the same av as you. :shrug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I started out posting a lot less and making big effort posts and lots of analysis of every player in the game and then got hosed for it repeatedly so now I just spit fire

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spiros posted:

I attack effort posts because that is how arguments are refined or shown to be weak arguments, I do not attack them because they are effort. I quite enjoy long, well thought out posts.

I think this gets lost in translation sometimes, frankly. If that's the case, great, but I see a LOT of people making GBS threads on those who effortpost or post more than just shitposting. For example, look at what happened to me when I replaced into Ecco's In re Lacenda game - I made a point of putting in effort and catch-up reads to make up for lost time, and I was attacked for what, 3 solid game days?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Spiros posted:

not going to single them out but a lot of those players you posted were basically lovely lurkers who would fit right in with current mafia.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Stuntastic was a cool dude back in the day

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

JakeP posted:

i never realized GG/AA was stuntastic

Spiros posted:

Stuntastic was a cool dude back in the day

no to the first, yes to the second

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
TBH in the year+ I've played almost every single game of mafia that has been hosted and overall it hasn't gotten better or worse on the whole

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

TBH in the year+ I've played almost every single game of mafia that has been hosted and overall it hasn't gotten better or worse on the whole

Accurate. There are ebbs and flows, but as someone who started reading literally every single mafia game played on these forums a little bit before you joined it's stayed pretty consistent. We as a community keep going through these cycles of navel-gazing, but tbh a lot of it is rose-tinted glasses and inaccurate memories.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Spiros posted:

Why do you think Kashuno is an old time poster

He's super new 2 me

Because dongs has been here for 3 months and it's really cute to watch him talk about the mafia community as if he is an authority. :swoon:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i think shine 1 with its vanilla (x-shot power role) game was the best designed game in the four (?) months since ive been here by a long shot except for my all 1-shot cop game that ruled

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

Because dongs has been here for 3 months and it's really cute to watch him talk about the mafia community as if he is an authority. :swoon:

im really smart

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Stuntastic posted:

oh lol thats weird. AA was using your avatar for a few months

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember all the "wow we used to have so many more players!!!!" crap over and over

Meanwhile we just filled a 40 person soldier game and I reached out to literally no one to fill it.

And a short time ago we had 10 simultaneous games running.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Podima posted:

I think this gets lost in translation sometimes, frankly. If that's the case, great, but I see a LOT of people making GBS threads on those who effortpost or post more than just shitposting. For example, look at what happened to me when I replaced into Ecco's In re Lacenda game - I made a point of putting in effort and catch-up reads to make up for lost time, and I was attacked for what, 3 solid game days?

Well, that is how it is nowadays. It's different when making large cases is common and people are willing to address what you said without calling you a retard. It used to be less toxic, I feel. I won't pretend there weren't always people against effort, though! That was wv's MO.

JakeP posted:

not going to single them out but a lot of those players you posted were basically lovely lurkers who would fit right in with current mafia.

Sure, wv + fronz + dbd + brazen all lurked but they made up for it with funny or good posts

Only people who are like that these days imo are gulag, Keane and sometimes this dongs fella

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Spiros posted:

Well, that is how it is nowadays. It's different when making large cases is common and people are willing to address what you said without calling you a retard. It used to be less toxic, I feel. I won't pretend there weren't always people against effort, though! That was wv's MO.

Sure, wv + fronz + dbd + brazen all lurked but they made up for it with funny or good posts

dhaes and BHB too, but yeah I agree, and enjoyed all of them

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't know why I keep coming back to this community after my sabbaticals, but I do.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Stuntastic posted:

How you doin these days bud, still playing league and poo poo? This is Diqnol btw

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Woah, I always thought of you as an old-timer. Did you and I start playing around the same time?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

GlitchThief posted:

Woah, I always thought of you as an old-timer. Did you and I start playing around the same time?

I started playing before Kash, around May of last year, and he started like right after me in June or July I believe.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
My $0.02: I try to put effort into my Mafia games and I prefer playing with other people who will do the same. I don't even care if people use a lot of words or not as long as they're (giving off the appearance of) hunting for scum and sharing their opinions.

That said, I rarely feel attacked for putting effort in. Cased, maybe - but that's part of the game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Also the only people who can speak with, uh, "authority" on mafia that are still around are unfortunately Ecco, Keane, Busb, maybe Windshipper.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GlitchThief posted:

Around July last year. I just literally play almost every single game that starts up.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kashuno posted:

friendly reminder any of those players you listed will quickly attack you for making large effort posts these days.

I wouldn't. I'm sure wins wouldn't, at least.

Spiros posted:

yes, this. it's part of mafia.

Spiros posted:

Ya I'm just looking back on why I played this game at all. It's pretty weird I still hang around here actually l0l

yes, this.

Podima posted:

Accurate. There are ebbs and flows, but as someone who started reading literally every single mafia game played on these forums a little bit before you joined it's stayed pretty consistent. We as a community keep going through these cycles of navel-gazing, but tbh a lot of it is rose-tinted glasses and inaccurate memories.

I mean, games in The Old Days were actually better, but what most people don't know is the old days ended in like 2010 or '11. Potentially coincidentally that's when votebot became a thing. Hm.

Spiros posted:

Also the only people who can speak with, uh, "authority" on mafia that are still around are unfortunately Ecco, Keane, Busb, maybe Windshipper.

and I get regularly sassed for it so.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

My $0.02: I try to put effort into my Mafia games and I prefer playing with other people who will do the same. I don't even care if people use a lot of words or not as long as they're (giving off the appearance of) hunting for scum and sharing their opinions.

:same:

EccoRaven posted:

I mean, games in The Old Days were actually better, but what most people don't know is the old days ended in like 2010 or '11. Potentially coincidentally that's when votebot became a thing. Hm.

:troll:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Kashuno posted:

Around July last year. I just literally play almost every single game that starts up.

I have no idea how people do this. Whenever I try to play more than one game at a time I find it more stressful than fun.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mafia used to stress me when I did a lot but I've learned to just chill. After I was in 6 games at once and then hosed up that cop claim I became one with mafia and don't make mistakes

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

I have no idea how people do this. Whenever I try to play more than one game at a time I find it more stressful than fun.

Yeah I had a small period where I was extremely active as a mafia player and I straight up couldn't handle it. I'm assuming it's all in the name of hunting scum / hiding from town, but sometimes people get really personal with their poo poo and experiencing that in like, a matrix of mafia play, was insanely stressful.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Like 80/20, yeah, but I do think the community as a whole lost interest with mafia as a novel game around that time, and so votebot was more a symptom of a larger disinterest in "mafia" as a game rather than its cause. It comes in conjunction with the end of the Big Game Queue, too, which fell out of favor about the same time as well.

Though I suppose a more charitable interpretation of history would be that the community became less structured and more free-form over time, willing to play with ideas and definitions rather than strictly adhering to principles and rules. As a conservative person obviously I dislike it, but it's ultimately a matter of preference since mafia continues to live on the forums in AD 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

man i want to look through the games taht have been recently completed if only there were a tool that automatically compiled it and no im not talking about an extremely good wiki that tonnes of people read and use