Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

Like 80/20, yeah, but I do think the community as a whole lost interest with mafia as a novel game around that time, and so votebot was more a symptom of a larger disinterest in "mafia" as a game rather than its cause. It comes in conjunction with the end of the Big Game Queue, too, which fell out of favor about the same time as well.

Though I suppose a more charitable interpretation of history would be that the community became less structured and more free-form over time, willing to play with ideas and definitions rather than strictly adhering to principles and rules. As a conservative person obviously I dislike it, but it's ultimately a matter of preference since mafia continues to live on the forums in AD 2016.

I've had long discussions with Ecco on this in the past and I would argue that Ecco is being silly wrt her two pet projects from back in the day but it is true that mafia was already beginning its decline even when I first started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

dongsbot 9000 posted:

man i want to look through the games taht have been recently completed if only there were a tool that automatically compiled it and no im not talking about an extremely good wiki that tonnes of people read and use

I mean you say this but votebot is actually not good at sorting games based on completion time, something's wonky with its sorting algorithm. And the wiki used to be fairly active with input from much of the community, but declining interest + spambots in 2014 pretty much made it stagnant.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
its actually fairly robust if instead of looking at the completed games list you just look at kashunos game history

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I mean you say this but votebot is actually not good at sorting games based on completion time, something's wonky with its sorting algorithm. And the wiki used to be fairly active with input from much of the community, but declining interest + spambots in 2014 pretty much made it stagnant.

Accurate, votebot's sorting is thoroughly hosed up for reasons I don't fully understand.

Being brutally honest, if the wiki's registrations could be reopened again (and I know I've asked about this) for some chunk of time, I think it'd pick up the update pace - at least for completed games. As of right now, I only see like 3-4 mods going in there and updating.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

Like 80/20, yeah, but I do think the community as a whole lost interest with mafia as a novel game around that time, and so votebot was more a symptom of a larger disinterest in "mafia" as a game rather than its cause. It comes in conjunction with the end of the Big Game Queue, too, which fell out of favor about the same time as well.

Though I suppose a more charitable interpretation of history would be that the community became less structured and more free-form over time, willing to play with ideas and definitions rather than strictly adhering to principles and rules. As a conservative person obviously I dislike it, but it's ultimately a matter of preference since mafia continues to live on the forums in AD 2016.

I think the forums as a whole has also seen something of a decline.

I think mafia is doing fine, and I find the games as engaging and the community as fun as it was back IN THE HEY DAY.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

how about everyone promises to try really hard in mafia and make posts and then we all join ecco's game which will have some delightful twist like a scum jailer- ninja juggernaut interaction and tmm and kash will get into a big argument about something dumb and then a bunch of people will lurk cuz theyre playing wow and then we'll no lynch d1/d2 and then ill say something like "mafia is dead :twisted:" and ill mess up lylo and everyone will say "yeah mafia is doing great"

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

make mafia great again

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Podima posted:

Accurate, votebot's sorting is thoroughly hosed up for reasons I don't fully understand.

Being brutally honest, if the wiki's registrations could be reopened again (and I know I've asked about this) for some chunk of time, I think it'd pick up the update pace - at least for completed games. As of right now, I only see like 3-4 mods going in there and updating.

if I ran the circus and my will could become law we'd have solved the wiki problem ages ago instead of never. I'd also probably make the regular editors admins because not having to captcha is really nice.

CCKeane posted:

I think the forums as a whole has also seen something of a decline.

I think mafia is doing fine, and I find the games as engaging and the community as fun as it was back IN THE HEY DAY.

I do not disagree. Things are different but that doesn't make them worse, just different. (I mean I think some things are worse but communities need an Ecco around even if they don't like it.)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who owns the wiki registrations, Ecco? I know you've said before but I'm blanking.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

dongsbot 9000 posted:

then we all join ecco's game which will have some delightful twist like a scum jailer- ninja juggernaut interaction

one of the liner notes for one of the games I designed over the summer:

quote:

[im ecco im so tricky {i am a parody of myself at this point}]

Podima posted:

Who owns the wiki registrations, Ecco? I know you've said before but I'm blanking.

Twelvebaud I believe, who is not dead irl but might as well be.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i hope i leave for good before ecco does because i cherish her posts as eccentric and absurd as they and her brain are

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i miss izzhov and adahn1986

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

dongsbot 9000 posted:

i hope i leave for good before ecco does because i cherish her posts as eccentric and absurd as they and her brain are

I like you too, you're my favorite of the 2016 cohort. Did you see a while back I complimented you for a post you made in my last game? It makes me laugh when I think about it still.

e:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729528&pagenumber=1285&perpage=40#post463356679

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i was really triggered for a multitude of reasons, mafia and non-mafia, at the end of the game but i genuinely believe that even if we lynched tremta instead of kaoslord, there was like a 0% chance town wins that game at lylo b/c of the jailer - ninja juggernaut interaction

like we lynch tremta, game continues - assuming i live, they kill some other person who i cant remember

its like me, pmom, chaoslord im snap voting chaoslord cuz pmom was jailed during a n w/ a k and then we lose

SO eccoraven in the future please change your ecco raveniness game scale to make that EXTREMELY TWISTY instead of barely twisty or whatever you put it on and scale accordingly for me ty

of course then all teh scum team roll up and say "hmm this game was extremely balanced maybe you shouldnt suck rear end, dongs" which is lmao as heck

same thing whatever game had the 5 man scum, 1 sk, 9 town game that kash then was like "hmm maybe town shyouldnt have played so bad"

lets do some self-evaluation boys and girls

ANYWAY all games from now on should have to get a seal of approval for me and then i get to also play iin them i think mafia would be improved fi i were just given free reign to swag out it would definitely be from my persepctive and i think im morei mprotant than every1 else so.,...

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

dongsbot 9000 posted:

how about everyone promises to try really hard in mafia and make posts and then we all join ecco's game which will have some delightful twist like a scum jailer- ninja juggernaut interaction and tmm and kash will get into a big argument about something dumb and then a bunch of people will lurk cuz theyre playing wow and then we'll no lynch d1/d2 and then ill say something like "mafia is dead :twisted:" and ill mess up lylo and everyone will say "yeah mafia is doing great"

this really is mafia.txt

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm putting that post in the OP.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

I like you too, you're my favorite of the 2016 cohort. Did you see a while back I complimented you for a post you made in my last game? It makes me laugh when I think about it still.

e:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729528&pagenumber=1285&perpage=40#post463356679

tHANKS im glad to hear ppl appreciate mh posts

reasons i play mafia;

1. to entertain ppl
2. to be unrepentingly lovely to ppl i cant normally do irl b/c of my highly scrutinized psoition in life (but i am cutting down on this i SWEAR TO GOD and laso podima)
3. to swag out of CONTROL and just own scum w/ my soul reads

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

tats in order form most to least important

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Believe it or not I usually go into every mafia game with the actual real intent of really trying to do well and make real reads and not shitpost and I try really hard but something ends up happening and I lurk or just post like rear end in general.

:smith:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

I'm putting that post in the OP.

Amazing!

CapitalistPig posted:

Believe it or not I usually go into every mafia game with the actual real intent of really trying to do well and make real reads and not shitpost and I try really hard but something ends up happening and I lurk or just post like rear end in general.

Weirdly enough I have faith in you and mafia players in general. The one time I asked Jimson to not be a complete idiot hellfucker failure (:h:) in a game was Shine II and he did drat well there. Same goes for you in that game, even though I didn't have to ask!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jimson infuriates me because he's reasonably intelligent but posts like it's fyad mafia

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Spiros posted:

Also the only people who can speak with, uh, "authority" on mafia that are still around are unfortunately Ecco, Keane, Busb, maybe Windshipper.

how am I not on that list

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Jimson infuriates me because he's reasonably intelligent but posts like it's fyad mafia

much like your POSTING!!!!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

:same: :smith:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

JakeP posted:

how am I not on that list

Neither of us is qualified and basically nobody who has posted after us either

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Spiros posted:

Neither of us is qualified and basically nobody who has posted after us either

I started playing here years before you, when you were first starting I was making a comeback

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

JakeP posted:

I started playing here years before you, when you were first starting I was making a comeback

When was your first game

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This conversation is seconds away from being a regdate penis measuring contest.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Spiros posted:

When was your first game

im looking for it, it was a GBS xmen game

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3068449

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

I just want proper tribute paid to me as a mafia elder

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Asiina posted:

given that the best player has a reg date of, uh, i cant see my reg date while making a post and im way to laz y to find out and reedit it, but its me

thats the point of this post - to point out that im the best

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i like jakep despite being apparently exceptionaly old cuz he has a nice avatar even though im still bemused by how many town-on-town mislynches he drove in my everyones a cop game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

i like jakep despite being apparently exceptionaly old cuz he has a nice avatar even though im still bemused by how many town-on-town mislynches he drove in my everyones a cop game

People showed me too much respect in that game iguess

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

given that the best player has a reg date of, uh, i cant see my reg date while making a post and im way to laz y to find out and reedit it, but its me

thats the point of this post - to point out that im the best

*looks at u carefully*

No, you must mean someone else. Do you mean *squinting* Spiros is the best? Ah, now it makes sense.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i dont even know who you are

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jake is unironically the best mafia player here by a wide margin.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
mafia is good and also mafia is bad

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Jesus gently caress I've been playing for over 8 years. :/

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Jake is unironically the best mafia player here by a wide margin.

ever since Merk left I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i've been here for 4.5 years and holy poo poo it does not feel that long

my first game was this beauty by a time traveling retro futurist