Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
iOS10 is loving fast as poo poo. updating the watch but its slow as poo poo (to update, apparently watchos3 is good as hell). win some lose some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
some people just dont have the courage to go buy matching $300 bluetooth headphones for their $800 pocket computerfone

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the very first android phone ever had no headphone port and required a dongle

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
what the gently caress is that

mini usb to headphone jack? where's the DAC? i didnt think you could possibly send analog audio out USB of any type

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Vintersorg posted:

ready to order 7+ 128GB matte black tmrw

needs MET

Are preorders starting at midnight? I'm getting the same one, unless they're sold out, then Silver works for me as well.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol these guys will be gently caress goddamn it

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/turn-your-iphone-into-a-smart-ruler#/

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PleasureKevin posted:

this looks terrible, just like the apple dongle

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sniep posted:

mini usb to headphone jack? where's the DAC? i didnt think you could possibly send analog audio out USB of any type

It's not exactly USB. The port is enough like a USB port that it fits a USB (mini) cable. But it actually has a corner cut out and I guess there's extra pins in their. It fit their pseudo-USB headphones as well as mini-USB. they called it extUSB, not sure if it was a standard or what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Dream#Hardware

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

PleasureKevin posted:

johnny ives replaced by dennis duffy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

finally, apple has achieved feature parity with the very first Android Telephone.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

these guys and every other accessory that uses the headphone jack to circumvent apple's parasitic Seal of Quality program

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

its stupid and dumb and forced and only benefits apple

no seriously what's the difference between my iphone 6s and the iphone 7 as far as audio goes? if I wanted lightning headphones, I could just use them with this phone if I wanted Bluetooth headphones, I could still connect it to my current phone

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

really might just dehumanize myself and use the upgrade program to get a jet black plus

apple is gonna make all the headphone ports go away now, any way

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

apple-pencil-charging.jpg

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

There's another wrinkle to this in that it's not just neckbeards who get their dicks hard writing about Apple doom and gloom, but the publishers behind these stories getting their dicks extra hard over how much traffic these stories generate. It seems there's few topics on the internet that get shared and actually clicked more than anything that follows the line of "Super [popular/hot/successful] [person/company/whatever] actually is a total gently caress up for these ten obvious epic fails!" Whether it's celebrity mug shots, iPhones bending, headphone jacks, or whatever else.

I think a good reality check on this is to talk to people who don't follow the things cool to hate on Reddit and ask what they think of the new iPhone. In my experience, normal people are typically always excited about the new thing, regardless of the incredible flaw that the internet is obsessed with. Moms who heard they can take better photos of their kids, and other mass-market audiences, are the bread and butter of Apple's market. I think it's really hard for tech-heavy people to mentally reconcile that Apple doesn't need them or care about them anymore, when they might take personal ownership of Apple's current success because they ran a Macintosh club in college in the pre-OS X days. I've seen people on the MacRumors forums angry that the iPhone launch day line now includes so many people who are just in line because it's the new thing, like waiting in line for a new gadget is some nerds only treehouse club.

Your typical iPhone owner doesn't give a poo poo that they can't hook up their $400 headphones they got a sick deal on over at Massdrop while charging at the same time. I wish I could figure out why this is so hard for people to come to grips with.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i dare anybody to find a normie whose eyes don't bug out when you explain to them that the next Internet Macintosh Pod Telephone won't have a headphone jack

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I'm not reading all those words I'll just assume you're some nerdo and your mad about something

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hosed up that people upset at the headphone jack are a bunch of transphobes
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/773902528798797824

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm not reading all those words I'll just assume you're some nerdo and your mad about something

I already have several years experience with audio via lightning from using newer music instrument input devices that connect through lightning, and its way better. Cleaner signal, less latency, more power. I remember when everyone was crying that the 32 pin connection was going away, until they saw their iPhone 6 fully charge in 2 hours.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
courage

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Apple says that it won't disclose sales because its distribution network is expanding, and the total number of phones sold will reflect supply rather than demand. "We know before taking the first customer pre-order that we will sell out of iPhone 7,” says Apple, "...and we have decided that [first-weekend sales are] no longer a representative metric for our investors and customers.”

courage

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

the iphone 8 will have a slide out keyboard

I would unironically buy that

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I would unironically buy that

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

that's odd. the explanation doesn't make much sense much like the Lightning headphones

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

dont post my friday night plans

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Perplx posted:

don't worry Apple has your edge case covered

just buy the power injector dongle with 2 female lightning ports

C.H.O.M.E posted:

this is literally disgusting to me.

i was joking, or so i thought

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

now imagine the 3.5mm dongle plugged into that one

now imagine that conglomeration dangling from the iphone of everyone who wants to use gps and listen to music at the same time

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW WHICH HOLE HAS THE JUICE AND WHICH HOLE IS PLAYING JUICE NEWTON

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

GameCube posted:

now imagine the 3.5mm dongle plugged into that one

now imagine that conglomeration dangling from the iphone of everyone who wants to use gps and listen to music at the same time

just loving lol if your car can't play audio and charge at the same time via its built in UBS port usually found in the middle console

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

remember when apple made that case with the audio jack hole that was too small for almost any plug, then they sold a tiny 3.5mm extension cable with one really skinny end

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

that wasn't a case. it was the original iPhone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I had the class discuss the new iPhone today as a case study in design tradeoffs and user experience

the class (design students, mostly 18 to 25 year olds in sf) was about evenly split between "it's fine" and "it's horrible"

the only positive anyone could come up with was "it can be made thinner" which was determined to be good because even though the phone itself is already too thin, it's still too fat when it's in a case

the argument was made that "it's old technology" and "sometimes Apple needs to force the rest of the industry to move forwards"

no one could think of how it directly improves the user experience

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

GameCube posted:

god i am trying SO HARD to find people defending this poo poo and i just can't. the world is in agreement: this is dumb as hell

i know a few android users here at work that are even defending it. it's very weird.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the world yawns but yospos continues furiously posting about dongles

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sniep posted:

probably some custom poo poo where it detects the adapter and remaps usb pins

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol if only there was some kind of wireless protocol over which to transmit the data for such accessories. alas...

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Sagebrush posted:

I had the class discuss the new iPhone today as a case study in design tradeoffs and user experience

the class (design students, mostly 18 to 25 year olds in sf) was about evenly split between "it's fine" and "it's horrible"

the only positive anyone could come up with was "it can be made thinner" which was determined to be good because even though the phone itself is already too thin, it's still too fat when it's in a case

the argument was made that "it's old technology" and "sometimes Apple needs to force the rest of the industry to move forwards"

no one could think of how it directly improves the user experience

i didn't know you were a special ed teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

• Locked thread