Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Pope Guilty posted:

What actual argument is being dishonestly described when alt right idiots complain about kafka traps?
Supposedly, it's when a liberal says "the fact that you deny that you're a racist proves you're a racist!"

I have literally never seen this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

pookel posted:

Supposedly, it's when a liberal says "the fact that you deny that you're a racist proves you're a racist!"

Sounds like something MRAs would insist is a thing with regards to rape allegations too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Methinks they doth protest too much.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

It was taken less than a minute after being posted and hits almost every single stereotype about that kind of person.

It was a poster named Vox Imperatoris from the Straight Dope message boards and he is the genuine article. It was taken less than a minute after being posted because like SA people are weirdly obsessed with Straight Dope posters and former posters. This information was gained from actually reverse image searching the drat thing instead of asserting the same dumb argument over and over again.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
More likely, the conversation goes like this:

Alt-right person: "So you see, cops are right to assume black people are violent, because black people are more likely to be criminals ..."
Liberal: "Uh, that's kind of racist."
Alt-right person: "I'm not a racist!!"
Liberal: "Actually, we all have ingrained racial prejudices because of societal conditioning -"
Alt-right person: "Kafkatrapping! Thought crimes! Identity politics!"

Source: have had this conversation a few times.

Discounting the actual overt white supremacists among them, they seem to be fairly ignorant of the idea of unconscious biases, and they take "that thought you just expressed has [not necessarily deliberate] racist overtones" as "you are an evil racist!" I've been told that accusations of racism are meant to manipulate emotions and shut down the conversation, which I find quite strange. Usually when someone says that something I said was racist, my reaction is to re-examine it, consider if they're right, and maybe apologize for it or defend it, depending on whether I agree with them. Either way, I don't take it as an attempt to stifle my free thinking.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was a poster named Vox Imperatoris from the Straight Dope message boards and he is the genuine article. It was taken less than a minute after being posted because like SA people are weirdly obsessed with Straight Dope posters and former posters. This information was gained from actually reverse image searching the drat thing instead of asserting the same dumb argument over and over again.
I tried Google and TinEye and came up with nothing. Where'd you find that?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm happy to be proven wrong if this is genuine, but I can't find anything either and the set-up of that image - the chessboard, the first year text books, etc - all seem incredibly deliberate solely to get a response from people.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Copy and pasting the url into the normal google search brought up a few forums where the same imgur image was linked or embedded.

"Unsourced image gets shared multiple times".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Copy and pasting the url into the normal google search brought up a few forums where the same imgur image was linked or embedded.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I'm happy to be proven wrong if this is genuine, but I can't find anything either and the set-up of that image - the chessboard, the first year text books, etc - all seem incredibly deliberate solely to get a response from people.
Dawg I get what you're saying but I've seen too much in the tvtropes mock thread to give any "by being a nerd I'm superior" image the benefit of the doubt.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

It seems fairly obvious to me that nazis promote animal welfare as a weapon against kosher and halal diets and as a way to demonize Jews and Muslims

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This Troper just basically destroyed The Libby at his school with one of these in a My Space bulletin. For some background, The Libby spread a rumor two years back that I masturbated during class several times; it still haunts me to this day. I posted a bulletin about it, The Libby responded making fun of me and giving a failed one of these. This would be a World of Cardboard Speech if the point wasn't to insult her. And I quote: "I was trying to get through my bulletin without mentioning any names as to avoid a massive bulletin war, but you just had to start being a bitch. Which is nothing new for you—in fact, it's something you do almost every time you dilate the second anus right above your chin—but I digress. The "loving retard" who spread that rumor just so happens to be you. How many times has your walking money pit hosed you today again? I'm guessing zero, you frigid bitch—you're probably too caught up in your ideals of "OMG, I'M GONNA SAVE MYSELF FOR MARRIAGE BECAUSE I'LL GO TO HELL OTHERWISE" to even put out to him. On that note, God doesn't love you. Hell, you're borderline proof that there isn't a god; no loving creator would make someone who's as much of a bitch as you are. Oh, and those puppies of yours. . . . I hope someone breaks into your house and loving drowns them." See, this is why you don't try and make fun of someone who is not only anonymous, but also a Something Awful goon. They will hit you five times as hard, and you will not recover.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Whether the image is made intentionally to be mocked or produced entirely earnestly and still worthy of mockery, I don't get why poptart_fairy is so invested in ensuring we stop mocking it. Or mock it properly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This Troper just basically destroyed The Libby at his school with one of these in a My Space bulletin. For some background, The Libby spread a rumor two years back that I masturbated during class several times; it still haunts me to this day. I posted a bulletin about it, The Libby responded making fun of me and giving a failed one of these. This would be a World of Cardboard Speech if the point wasn't to insult her. And I quote: "I was trying to get through my bulletin without mentioning any names as to avoid a massive bulletin war, but you just had to start being a bitch. Which is nothing new for you—in fact, it's something you do almost every time you dilate the second anus right above your chin—but I digress. The "loving retard" who spread that rumor just so happens to be you. How many times has your walking money pit hosed you today again? I'm guessing zero, you frigid bitch—you're probably too caught up in your ideals of "OMG, I'M GONNA SAVE MYSELF FOR MARRIAGE BECAUSE I'LL GO TO HELL OTHERWISE" to even put out to him. On that note, God doesn't love you. Hell, you're borderline proof that there isn't a god; no loving creator would make someone who's as much of a bitch as you are. Oh, and those puppies of yours. . . . I hope someone breaks into your house and loving drowns them." See, this is why you don't try and make fun of someone who is not only anonymous, but also a Something Awful goon. They will hit you five times as hard, and you will not recover.

When that got on This Troper, Clyde Cash edited out the last few lines.

I wonder why :mmmsmug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TomViolence posted:

Whether the image is made intentionally to be mocked or produced entirely earnestly and still worthy of mockery, I don't get why poptart_fairy is so invested in ensuring we stop mocking it. Or mock it properly.

Like I said earlier, I just posted to say that it was mocking the same people as this thread. Tess broke his forum break to repeatedly talk about my mother, and somfin got weird. :shobon:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TomViolence posted:

Because he wrote it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Please stop paying attention to poptart_fairy, you're just encouraging him to further derail

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

pookel posted:

The closest I've seen are jokes about how typical "I'm not racist because..." excuses (e.g. "some of my best friends are black") are super popular among people making racist statements.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I think it might be a warping of that line of thinking. Like, while there are some absolute nuts who will jump on anything to make someone appear racist, the chances of that being a genuinely widespread argument are almost nil. Even on the angriest parts of twitter and tumblr you'd be hard pressed for it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is this authentic Troper? Because, if so, this is up there with INHUMAN! and the pencil-breaker. Pure poetry.

Also, if authentic, the author totally jerked off in class. No "rumor" about it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The anti-semite has chosen hate because hate is a faith; at the outset he has chosen to devaluate words and reasons. How entirely at ease he feels as a result. How futile and frivolous discussions about the rights of the Jew appear to him. He has placed himself on other ground from the beginning. If out of courtesy he consents for a moment to defend his point of view, he lends himself but does not give himself. He tries simply to project his intuitive certainty onto the plane of discourse. I mentioned awhile back some remarks by anti-Semites, all of them absurd: ‘I hate Jews because they make servants insubordinate, because a Jewish furrier robbed me, etc.’

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past

(Jean-Paul Sartre, asking people to please stop feeding the trolls)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

GunnerJ posted:

The closest I've seen are jokes about how typical "I'm not racist because..." excuses (e.g. "some of my best friends are black") are super popular among people making racist statements.
I think there's also a failure of logic, because they don't seem to grasp the distinction between "you say you aren't racist, THEREFORE you are racist" and "you say you aren't racist, BUT ACTUALLY you are racist."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Antivehicular posted:

Is this authentic Troper? Because, if so, this is up there with INHUMAN! and the pencil-breaker. Pure poetry.

Also, if authentic, the author totally jerked off in class. No "rumor" about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFL1nrGeJIM

A prototypical alt-righter, tbh.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

TV tropes is an absolute goldmine. I recommend the F Plus podcast's episode on Troper tales if you want more than you can stand of it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Or the CrazyGoggs videos. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdvKqb8yY2M

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
In other news about weird alt-righters/anti-SJWs who don't understand what words mean, I insulted some rear end in a top hat on Tumblr (behind their back, admittedly), and one of those weird jagoffs who keeps thisisyourfallacy.com open in a tab at all times "called Poe's Law on me" because the mere act of disagreement with him meant I was a parody.

For people who pedantically nitpick everything, they sure are eager to misinterpret and twist meaningings.

(I was genuinely incensed by the "Poe's Law" accusation, though I tried to keep my responses short because I knew if I wrote anything more than a few short sentences, I'd be dismissed as an SJW for caring too much or something. But I didn't help write the original Poe's Law article back in 2008 just for some fuckwad to completely misinterpret it.)

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

pookel posted:

More likely, the conversation goes like this:

Alt-right person: "So you see, cops are right to assume black people are violent, because black people are more likely to be criminals ..."
Liberal: "Uh, that's kind of racist."
Alt-right person: "I'm not a racist!!"
Liberal: "Actually, we all have ingrained racial prejudices because of societal conditioning -"
Alt-right person: "Kafkatrapping! Thought crimes! Identity politics!"

Source: have had this conversation a few times.

Discounting the actual overt white supremacists among them, they seem to be fairly ignorant of the idea of unconscious biases, and they take "that thought you just expressed has [not necessarily deliberate] racist overtones" as "you are an evil racist!" I've been told that accusations of racism are meant to manipulate emotions and shut down the conversation, which I find quite strange. Usually when someone says that something I said was racist, my reaction is to re-examine it, consider if they're right, and maybe apologize for it or defend it, depending on whether I agree with them. Either way, I don't take it as an attempt to stifle my free thinking.

You've only got so much time in a day though, and time spent thinking about whether the thing you just said is an example of unconscious racism is time you can't spend saying more unconsciously racist things. Shutting up is basically anathema to the alt-Right (largely because they view silence and reflection as beta things) so you're deliberately trying to stifle my free thoughts and replace them with your (((liberal))) mind control/manipulation. This fear of having one's thoughts influenced by social interaction is actually what's at the core of all the Rationalist poo poo as well, the idea that if you don't have a well stocked mental fortress of Bayesian priors you're vulnerable to hostile memes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CrazyGoggs was a weirdo who made a video about a mentally ill woman who literally got sent to a mental institution after having a complete breakdown and "forgot" to volunteer that information in the video he made about her crazy posts. And also before he was CrazyGoggs he was Clyde Cash and spent a lot of time gaslighting an autistic person from a broken household because she made a lovely webcomic. For that reason I've never really been into endorsing his videos.

The Fplus episodes on TvTropes are great, though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Like I said earlier, I just posted to say that it was mocking the same people as this thread. Tess broke his forum break to repeatedly talk about my mother, and somfin got weird. :shobon:

You're right, buddy. I was the one who got weird about it. ;)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fitting that exercise & fitness receives only minor support. They're such ubermenschen they don't even need it.

pookel posted:

In some D&D circles, when the talk steers towards how much white people hate being called racist (they do), the conversation can take on elements of this. In the same way "I have black friends" is regarded as a dogwhistle to some people. In same cases they're right, in others it's just dogpiling. But that's neither here nor there.

Deified Data has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Sep 8, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Deified Data posted:

In some D&D circles, when the talk steers towards how much white people hate being called racist (they do), the conversation can take on elements of this. In the same way "I have black friends" is regarded as a dogwhistle to some people. In same cases they're right, in others it's just dogpiling. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt when we dogpiled you for saying something racist.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt when we dogpiled you for saying something racist.

I know you probably checked my post history for specific examples to support this witty retort and found nothing, so why did you bother posting it?

Ask me to clarify if you think I'm wrong about something. I know "It's coming from inside the thread!" is an exciting prospect but we could only be so lucky.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I know you probably checked my post history for specific examples to support this witty retort and found nothing, so why did you bother posting it?

Ask me to clarify if you think I'm wrong about something. I know "It's coming from inside the thread!" is an exciting prospect but we could only be so lucky.

*pushes up glasses in attempt to distract from extremely high-pitch nasal voice* I'll have you know my random aside about how D&D dogpiles on the poor innocent racist is totally something I pulled out of well-documented sources however your joke that I'm bitter about such a thing is completely unfounded and my legal team will be serving you forthwith

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Yes. I want a fully-illustrated PDF of all the mean things the nasty-wasty Debate and Discussion psychotrolls have done in the course of their criminality. And I want it on my desk by Monday.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Quoted Post: I don't know that this is a thing

quote:

I'll have you know my random aside

:shrug:

"There are no easily riled posters with trouble grasping context in D&D" seems like a weird hill to die on tbh

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Deified Data posted:

Post: It isn't a thing except in the minds of angry white people

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

:shrug:

"There are no easily riled posters with trouble grasping context in D&D" seems like a weird hill to die on tbh

"Hill to die on"? You gonna start talking about curing our little case of Dunning-Kruger next?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I hope a DE thing happens today so you can find something interesting to talk about. God bless.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Brainiac Five posted:

Yes. I want a fully-illustrated PDF of all the mean things the nasty-wasty Debate and Discussion psychotrolls have done in the course of their criminality. And I want it on my desk by Monday.
Well I mean you're the guy who seems to think the North Korean government is the only thing keeping the monsters in the PLA and US Army from massacring North Korean civilians. So you know glass houses.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, Rev. Always able to find the good in everyone*.

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/773850623129292800
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/773852278725967876
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/773857547392548864
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/773874540946546688
https://twitter.com/asherahresearch/status/773851657906053120
https://twitter.com/asherahresearch/status/773853667661320192

*in the ingroup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Clearly it's worth mentioning D&D to prove how epic c00l you are unlike those Social Justice Warriors in that forum that's totally racist against white people.

Deified Data posted:

True, you're easily riled when people suggest you're an idiot baby. Guess I need to be more sensitive.