Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've been considering CoC in 15mm (it fits my grognardy love for accurate battle ranges) but won't having multibases make it hard to split one dude off? Or hell, mark casualties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Why not just single-base your 15mm dudes? Or do you already have them multi-based?

I have a bunch of 15mm ACW stuff where the figs are multi-based in groups of 4. Like this:

I am strongly considering running them in Sharp Practice counting each base as a single miniature, essentially playing at the regimental level. I think it should translate fine and will probably look bad-rear end on the table.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah you can single base them, or just use casualty markers if you have them on multibases.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ilor posted:

Why not just single-base your 15mm dudes? Or do you already have them multi-based?

Yeah they're already FoW based. I've got a load of PSC guys I could possibly use though...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Also, Ilor, next week I should be good for an attempt at CoC. If you're still game?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot. I'll need some hand-holding for the interface, though - I've never done anything on Roll20 before. Also, I'm in Eastern (Daylight) US time zone, if that matters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've got most of a roll20 sorted, I just hit a stumbling block with good tokens for all the units.

I'm going to be away from a computer for a week starting from tomorrow, so if people have any good ideas, let me know.

You can take a look at what I've done here.

https://app.roll20.net/join/1636299/Z4COvQ

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Sorry to jump in, but CoC looks pretty rad. Is there anyway I could tag along and spectate/learn how it works?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Given that Roll 20 was originally designed for multi-player RPGs, I'd guess the answer is, "sure!"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I made a blog entry about painting French line infantry on our Nappy blog, with a step-by-step tutorial:

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog

The army is growing!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xenolalia posted:

Sorry to jump in, but CoC looks pretty rad. Is there anyway I could tag along and spectate/learn how it works?

Yeah, totally, you just join the game and whoever's got GM privileges just doesn't assign you any tokens.

Or they assign you a bunch of tokens, and you play also, it's pretty flexible there.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

lilljonas posted:

I made a blog entry about painting French line infantry on our Nappy blog, with a step-by-step tutorial:

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog

The army is growing!

Looking great!

And since this page already has some good pictures, I'll post some more! Had a buddy in town last weekend for some Bolt Action as a send-off to 1st Ed:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Something about the tape measure in the background makes me love this photo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Enentol posted:

Looking great!

And since this page already has some good pictures, I'll post some more! Had a buddy in town last weekend for some Bolt Action as a send-off to 1st Ed:

drat that board looks good. Teddy bear fur?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

That's a super nice looking board and minis you've got there!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Enentol posted:

Looking great!

drat dude. I'd read a guide on how you made that table, it looks great

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

This is such a great shot. They all are, but I really like this one.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I posted some of my thoughts on starting sharp practice on our blog. Will follow up with baby's first battle report tomorrow

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/09/sharp-practice-v2-dipping-into-lard.html?m=1

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

I posted some of my thoughts on starting sharp practice on our blog. Will follow up with baby's first battle report tomorrow

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/09/sharp-practice-v2-dipping-into-lard.html?m=1
Dammit, muggins, did you play this game at MTS this weekend? I wish I had known, I'd have liked to check it out!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ilor posted:

Dammit, muggins, did you play this game at MTS this weekend? I wish I had known, I'd have liked to check it out!

Oh man I didn't realize there was another michigoon in this thread. Where you at son?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Phi230 posted:

drat that board looks good. Teddy bear fur?

Yep! Found something decent on Fabric.com. They don't carry that specific one anymore, but you want one with a tight pile and a pile that is at least 20mm. I trimmed it down in a patchy manner with some beard/hair clippers and then painted on some craft store acrylics. Not completely happy with the tone, but it works well enough

Bad news is that dice don't lay flat in most areas. Good news is that you never have to worry about miniatures tipping over. It's nice and cushioned, even for metals.

lilljonas posted:

That's a super nice looking board and minis you've got there!

Thanks!

Flippycunt posted:

drat dude. I'd read a guide on how you made that table, it looks great

I was super anxious to try making a fur board, but it's a lot easier than you think! The mat was pricey, simply because of shipping to :canada: but the rest of the materials and process was cheap and easy.

ExtraNoise posted:

This is such a great shot. They all are, but I really like this one.

It was a super tense game. Hold Until Relieved, with the Germans starting on a small supply depot in the center of the board. The one squad on the right had to hold out for two turns until my reinforcements could make it in. Thanks to some amazing shots by my Stug and some failed order tests by his T-34/85 it ended up in a draw:

A comissar and some Soviet snipers contesting against a Stug and a single remaining German sniper.

We're planning a big slugfest on October 1st to celebrate second edition. I'll be sure to take some excellent shots. There's a small chance that some Italians may be making their way to the Eastern Front....

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Enentol posted:

We're planning a big slugfest on October 1st to celebrate second edition. I'll be sure to take some excellent shots. There's a small chance that some Italians may be making their way to the Eastern Front....

I sure would love seeing more AAR-type posts made in this thread!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

Oh man I didn't realize there was another michigoon in this thread. Where you at son?
I'm in Ann Arbor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ilor posted:

I'm in Ann Arbor.

:quagmire:

I am angry at my spam folder for eating the Labor Day sale announcement from Dreamforge. I really want more Soviets, thy were 50% off, but I didn't find out until this morning. :(

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

:quagmire:

I am angry at my spam folder for eating the Labor Day sale announcement from Dreamforge. I really want more Soviets, thy were 50% off, but I didn't find out until this morning. :(

All of Black Tree/EOE Orbis's (why do all of these companies have two names?) stuff is 50% off right now:

http://eoeorbis.com/collections/world-war-2

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ExtraNoise posted:

All of Black Tree/EOE Orbis's (why do all of these companies have two names?) stuff is 50% off right now:

Oh, gently caress yes, I can finish off my US platoon for CoC! I got the lot used and only had enough dudes for like 2 and a half squads. :argh: Thanks for the heads-up!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ExtraNoise posted:

Nice. I picked up a ton of stuff to give a Stalingrad army more character. Assault troops, scouts and all the partisans they make. I think the assault and scout troops will make up their own units and I'll give mixing the partisans throughout the army a shot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of WWII games, my LGS is doing a big Invasion of Normandy event tomorrow for Bolt Action. I'm interested to finally get to grips with the game (it's when the window closes for BA2 pre-orders too, so I can finalise whether or not I buy in on it). I just hope that they don't try and turn it into a big apocalypse-style ubergame, that seems like it wouldn't be terribly representative. Also: seems like WGF heads are roughly in scale (at least in comparison to the Commandos that some guys were assembling for the event), so if I go for it I can diversify my BA dudes a little.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ExtraNoise posted:

Chuikov!

How well do these match up with the WGF plastics?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Chuikov!

How well do these match up with the WGF plastics?

The WGF soldiers are noticably thinner but it's not terrible or anything.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

WLG sold out of copies of BA v2, so that's pretty great news.

I put up our amateur battle report for Sharp Practice here

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dreamforge has really fast shipping, all my soldiers are here and now I have to figure out what to do with them.

I've got 4 boxes of russians earmarked for a Stalingrad list, but now I've got some US and German infantry to play with. Chain of Command is the obvious answer, I guess.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mine also arrived today. Between these reinforcements and what I already had, I should be able to fill out two good Chain of Command platoons and hopefully stir up some local interest...

The Warlord US Weapons sprue is going to be a big help. I don't know where else you're even find a loose plastic bazooka.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

When Chain of Command says a BAR team is:

BAR
Two crew
One Rifleman with M1 Garand

how many actual people is that? Is it two people, one with the BAR and one with the rifle? 4 people? 3 people and a gun?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, I found a Euro shop with the WGF Russians, but between the box of British, the pack of 44 plastic hirdmen for SAGA and viking dice I'm kinda pushing my plastic crack spending limits. Probably no more purchases until November.

Christ, we're barely 1/3 into September...

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

$2 Hitler

http://eoeorbis.com/collections/world-war-2/products/mow005-hitler?variant=1314900544

Yes please.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

When Chain of Command says a BAR team is:

BAR
Two crew
One Rifleman with M1 Garand

how many actual people is that? Is it two people, one with the BAR and one with the rifle? 4 people? 3 people and a gun?

Unfortunately there are a few places where the lists are not so clear. Two crew are holding the Bar or reloading/spotting, so they only provide firepower throught the Bar. The third man is part of the team, but can shoot with his rifle as well. That's the difference, crew are busy with the gun, but there are often additional teammembers who don't count as crew.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

Unfortunately there are a few places where the lists are not so clear. Two crew are holding the Bar or reloading/spotting, so they only provide firepower throught the Bar. The third man is part of the team, but can shoot with his rifle as well. That's the difference, crew are busy with the gun, but there are often additional teammembers who don't count as crew.
For what it's worth, Rich has amended the BAR team to be one crew (the guy with the BAR itself) and two riflemen (guys carrying extra magazines). So when the whole 3-man team fires, the total firepower is 5 (3 for the BAR and 1 for each of the riflemen). I think this is addressed in the FAQ.

Generally, when a team is listed with special equipment (e.g. a Bren or an MG42), that line refers only to the weapon itself. The "crew" are the people required to man it effectively, and anyone else in the team is considered a rifleman. So an MG42 has a crew of 2 (a gunner and a loader). It is of note that if the LMG is inadequately crewed, it loses firepower (as now the gunner is having to dink around with prepping and loading his own belts, swapping out barrels by himself, etc, reducing his overall rate of fire).

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Quite tempting as an objective marker for Allied armies.

"And as always your main objective: KILL HITLER."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

muggins posted:

WLG sold out of copies of BA v2, so that's pretty great news.

I put up our amateur battle report for Sharp Practice here

Thanks for this, now I need to get another historical system :mad: