Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Your right to avoid self-incrimination does not mean you can refuse to answer any random question.

E: basically, how would giving your name incriminate you in any way? If it won't, the Fifth ain't gonna do poo poo.

If it could possibly in any way incriminate me, even in an obtuse way, it's my right to withhold that information :colbert:

Say, for example, that one of the officers hears my name as I'm giving this information and it turns out they're looking for me because someone tried to, I dunno, pin the vandalizing of a car near my place of employment on me? That would constitute evidence enough for a warrant in a lot of courts I'd bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Epic High Five posted:

If it could possibly in any way incriminate me, even in an obtuse way, it's my right to withhold that information :colbert:

Say, for example, that one of the officers hears my name as I'm giving this information and it turns out they're looking for me because someone tried to, I dunno, pin the vandalizing of a car near my place of employment on me? That would constitute evidence enough for a warrant in a lot of courts I'd bet.
How do you feel about contempt charges?
Also, they know your name and address because they sent you the summons, remember?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nm posted:

How do you feel about contempt charges?
Also, they know your name and address because they sent you the summons, remember?

Exactly! So they don't need me to possibly incriminate myself. I guess I could just lie and if they correct me be all like AHA! you didn't need it after all, then probably get tazed

I served like 3 years ago and they didn't ask me poo poo, just sat me in a room and after awhile said I could leave bc apparently I wasn't juror material

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I witnessed and called in a shooting once at a place I worked, and I was so eager to be of any help I could that the police assumed I was the owner when they showed up. It wasn't until they asked me to help them get access to the security cameras that my boss chimed in.

I just assumed it was my duty and the right thing to do to report what I could and never gave a thought to lawyering up.

Like I guess I shouldn't have volunteered anything even though there was no way it could have been me but why?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cumshitter posted:

I witnessed and called in a shooting once at a place I worked, and I was so eager to be of any help I could that the police assumed I was the owner when they showed up. It wasn't until they asked me to help them get access to the security cameras that my boss chimed in.

I just assumed it was my duty and the right thing to do to report what I could and never gave a thought to lawyering up.

Like I guess I shouldn't have volunteered anything even though there was no way it could have been me but why?

Who knows? Anything you say can be used against you. Maybe it comes back to you in the form of conspiracy charges because someone they caught named you because they knew you were around and were hoping for a plea, and you can't provide an alibi?

In the case you described it's not likely to bite you in the rear end but not everything is so clear cut. I've never been in the situation but certainly if anything ever seems fishy I'm clamming up. This was what convinced me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

It's not something I've done but I certainly understand why somebody would never tell anything to any branch of law enforcement ever except through a lawyer. I was mostly curious when I asked initially.

Obviously in the case of Bundy and co they're well beyond any help this could offer

V V V OWNED V V V

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cumshitter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

etc.

e: Lol beaten between searching for the video and hitting post

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Though as a white middle-class man I think it's probably fine to help cops out usually - I gave a description of a guy who ripped off a 7-11 once and it was no big deal. Don't try this if you're poor or belong to a race with skin any darker than lilly white though.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thank god the guy tried to suicide by cop 15 minutes later or I could have been hosed. At least one of us dodged a bullet there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm 44 years old and I've never been called for jury duty. :( I'd be happy to do it, I have a lot of free time.

I got called in twice, both within a couple years of each other when I was a college student.

I was all "I'm a student and honestly I'd have no issue serving but you called me in a week before finals..." Both times the judge just chuckled, shook my hand, thanked me for coming in and told me to have a nice day. I got the feeling he enjoyed having someone who showed up on time, quietly sat through all the explanations and gave a reasonable reason to not serve instead of people coming up with bullshit.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I sat through a grand-jury selection process once.

Around here, those things sit a jury for a 3 months and they hear a bunch of different cases every week. It was expected to be something like a 9-2 commitment 3 days a week. Must have been 200 people called in for 22 spots and they excused people for almost any reason. It was the people who wanted to be there that got on, and it looked like they fell into two groups.

#1 People with nothing to do - old people, homeless, crazies
#2 People who knew their company would pay for jury duty and wanted to slack off

Only judge and prosecutor had any say. Made me realize how little a grand jury indictment actually might mean.

e: Is there a way to make this stupid animated background go away?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Good christ I hate that video so much. It's the Sugar is the Bitter Truth of law.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Having experienced being part of a jury, I think I'd opt for a bench trial if I was innocent, and a jury trial If I Did It.

"If I were innocent?" Not sure which word to use. Whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Good christ I hate that video so much. It's the Sugar is the Bitter Truth of law.

What's wrong with it? (I'm genuinely asking, I don't know) I mean he seems to be exaggerating and assuming the worst case in all possible situations, but I think the cop that came up after him and was like "yeah that's basically all true though I only ever arrest guilty people :smug:" was pretty, uh, concerning?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now I don't come from the most diverse area but the vast majority of people I know who legitimately hates cops are middle class white people who have some variety of hosed in the head going on. The kind if people who get caught speeding and go on the warpath over it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Now I don't come from the most diverse area but the vast majority of people I know who legitimately hates cops are middle class white people who have some variety of hosed in the head going on. The kind if people who get caught speeding and go on the warpath over it.

I mean I don't hate cops or anything I just think that the system as it stands is set up to psychologically push them away from "protect and serve" and towards "we must stop the crime enemy at all costs," mix in a bunch of other fun human biases that aren't being addressed or trained for and you have a recipe for trouble.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I lift weights with a couple cops. They used to be my best regulars when I was in restaurants. I like cops fine. It's a constitutional right and can be expressed without any animosity being necessary

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I lift weights with a couple cops. They used to be my best regulars when I was in restaurants. I like cops fine. It's a constitutional right and can be expressed without any animosity being necessary

My experience has also probably been skewed because these are Florida cops, all the old people here cause the state's funding priorities to be "pay the cops whatever is needed to keep those scary thug people away from my golf cart" and "screw education I don't have any school-age kids and my grandkids live across the country."

I met a retired NYPD officer once while watching a rocket launch and chatted him up while we were standing around waiting for liftoff and he was a real cool guy. He told me a bunch of great stories (like once he had to deal with a drunk guy thought he was playing Wii in the middle of Times Square on the giant TV screen and was very adamant about finishing his game, or how a cops' drug of choice is cocaine because it's out of the system before they can test for it at the end of the day) and how he always tried to be nice to people and not arrest them unless he had to. He also mentioned that "the cops down here are way different - they like to gently caress with you, I've never seen cops do that until I came here" so yeah.

Also he had some dank NJ weed with him that he shared with me because he was the coolest goddamn officer ever :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No cop is going to ever arrest someone they did not think committed a crime (outside of some racist bullshit arrests).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

No cop is going to ever arrest someone they did not think committed a crime (outside of some racist bullshit arrests).

Well obviously, but this guy was more talking about even people who did commit pretty minor crimes he'd just let go. Like he was really disappointed with that Wii guy because he thought it was hilarious to watch him and when he tried to get him out of the street the guy threw a punch and "aw dammit buddy now I have to arrest you"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm a young, light skinned, (half) Hispanic woman. I've done a lot of police liaison work as an advocate for various people and groups of people. I am friendly, helpful, gentle, and kind. gently caress the police.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Among other things, it means I get to read a spate of the third party posts after this one. It promotes and spreads libertarian Bundy-style paranoia about law enforcement, a problem at the best of times.Refusing to speak with the police, ever, makes it much harder for them to do their jobs, and creates a massive social gulf between law enforcement and the rest of society that actually winds up adding to problems of police abuse, by creating the psychological factors that PP mentioned earlier.

To speak briefly to the anecdotes above, one of the central problems of police regulation in the US is that for a bunch of valid, messy constitutional reasons, there isn't one way the police approach things, because there isn't one set of police practices- instead there are about 18,000. It's not even "Florida police", it's "police from a particular precinct office who entered the force during a five year span when they were taught by instructor X under policy Y".

Epic High Five posted:

You've already demonstrated you don't know what the fifth amendment does.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

What's wrong with it? (I'm genuinely asking, I don't know) I mean he seems to be exaggerating and assuming the worst case in all possible situations, but I think the cop that came up after him and was like "yeah that's basically all true though I only ever arrest guilty people :smug:" was pretty, uh, concerning?

Are you referring to the person who was coordinated to speak at the same time with, and worked with, the main speaker, who established the framing and promotion of the recording? Again, the guy might be a law professor, but he's promoting a lefty form of the same sort of alienating paranoia that sovcit gurus do (you're probably going to get some fun videos in your youtube recommendations for a while, btw). The video is meant to appeal to, and feeds upon, a desire to see the police as an antagonistic Other.

I mean, are we really having the "here's a seminar by a Professor telling you One Weird Trick that lets you gently caress the police, who totally have it out for you" conversation in the Bundy trial thread?

edit: christ, I forgot the channel it's hosted on.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Sep 8, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

DV, you make some good points above. I have seen a lot of really horrible stuff go down that I couldn't stop, like the police tazing a disabled young man in my care... but your points that attitudes like those increase the gulf between the police force and the rest of society resonate with me, and I'm going to feel into my next steps as I reconsider my position.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sorry, that video puts me on the warpath, it's very effective at its goals, and it comes up on SA periodically. My claims basically boil down to:

1. To be clear, WrenP-Complete, your police may well be total dickbags. But, literally, #Notallpolice. The Tenth Amendment, which is ultimately a Good Thing, means there's going to be wild variance in police quality from one location to the next (short version: the founders said, "hey, letting the central government claim direct control over all law enforcement seems like a one-way ticket to tyrant town"). Some police are in fact not taze-happy racist paranoiacs. The biggest determining factor is their workplace policies and culture.
2. Refusing to speak to the police, in particular, isn't a very effective way of evading police abuses, and it often makes the situation worse- either immediately for you, immediately for them (if you could have actually helped them), and in the long term worse for police-public interactions. Are there valid times not to do it? Totally, but not at all times, and not often.
3. Most importantly, the person who hosted that video on youtube is a varminting enthusiast with a penchant for WWII videos, especially ones starring the Germans.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Sep 8, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Reminds me of a thing in some of this year's gay pride parades in canada. Some BLM protesters have objected to police having a float or participating in the parade. They've requested that even LBQT officers only participate wearing civilian clothes rather than in uniform, because their uniforms are offensive somehow? Letting them participate is erasing all the bad things they did to gay people in the 70s and 80s. Or something. Black gays feel unsafe having police gays in the parade.

Meanwhile everyone else is going "uh, we worked really hard for 20 years to create a genial relationship between the police and the gay community, why would we want to turn that back into an adversarial relationship?"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Reminds me of a thing in some of this year's gay pride parades in canada. Some BLM protesters have objected to police having a float or participating in the parade. They've requested that even LBQT officers only participate wearing civilian clothes rather than in uniform, because their uniforms are offensive somehow? Letting them participate is erasing all the bad things they did to gay people in the 70s and 80s. Or something. Black gays feel unsafe having police gays in the parade.

Meanwhile everyone else is going "uh, we worked really hard for 20 years to create a genial relationship between the police and the gay community, why would we want to turn that back into an adversarial relationship?"

They probably don't care about how it impacts anyone other than themselves and their agenda.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sir we just received an Ambee Alert, have you seen this ma-

gently caress off copper, show me a warrant!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Let's see how those fine people who hang out on the Bundy facebook are taking things:

quote:

Chris Becker Of course santili gets to go. Hes a spook working both sides and creating inner conflict among people who strive for freedom.

quote:

Gavin Seim for Liberty Pete has always stood with us and has showed up on the ground all over America. There is zero real evidence that he's a spook. Maybe you're referring to the clear fake "fax" to the FBI that those who don't like him Photoshoped together.

Stop spreading division.

Gavin has a little blue tick, he's one up on Milo

quote:

Chris Becker if you've ever seen any of Pete's shows or heard any of the accounts of how he handles his business and the people he conducts it with you would know there is nore than an email to the fbi sgowing how decisive he is. Not to mention his blatant anti semetic stance on everything. Santili is the only one spreading division.

Lol look into where gorilla radio started. It was bot him, there are contracts and other documents proving how little he cares for freedom and how much he lusts for power. I seem to recall a paypal account that had all of its money "mysteriously" go missing under his watch foecing the canclation of a massive nation wide protest

quote:

Chris Becker Except when he steels their money and scuttles massive protests. Oh and dont forget the shitstorm he tries to bring on real patriots hahahaha

quote:

Sandy Turner I said day one when I met Pete that I don't trust him. His broadcasts from Burns, OR did little but anger the residents and turn them against what was being done for freedoms. I have always maintained that he would be released without charges being brought. The rest of the Patriots sit in prison and he skates. Change your name Pete. Your "freedom fighting" days are over now. No one will trust you again after this.

Poor, poor Pete.

And here we go, the foundation of their defence neatly summarised:

quote:

Tim Casey The court is a court of laws, which means you can appeal anything that is incorrect. Look at the big picture, if you loose you have to set up the case for appeal.
Do the charges require that he did them knowingly????? Bundy believes he was in the right. Does the us government own this land??? Or does the state own it???? Who is the law of the land legally Feds state, sheriff???? What does the treaty state on rights and privileges, was it ever changed.
Does the sheriff over rule the state police, the fed, on roadways???? A man was killed after leaving a traffic stop, informing the officers, they were on there way to the sheriff, who was expecting them.
What are the processing of the law for a traffic stop, on a suspect????
What are the rules of engagement, does that state have a right to self defense???? A person points a gun at you, can you point one back. Note usually different laws for law enforcement, but did they have legal rights to be there????
What are laws on stealing, conviction of cattle???? Did they have legal grounds to convocation, what legal warrant did they have???
There are dozens of arguments, that you can create to bring to the Supreme Court, if your case looses.
You can use the disarmed people, to stand outside the courthouse, to inform the people on states rights and federal power, use laws and show the laws.
By informing the brain dead people of there rights, and how to defend there rights, will create a backlash of corruption.
Good luck I hope you win.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When to talk to police is complex and nuanced and it is fairly hard to explain in a youtube video. Further, most people are bad at reading cops and determining when they are being lied to.
Generally, talking to the police when you shouldn't causes more legal problems than not talking. In my career, I have seen precisely one case that would have been helped by my client talking. In that case, his GF's abusive ex showed up and started dragging her to the car. My client beat the poo poo out of him and STFUed when the cops showed.
If he had talked, the cops would have run ex's sheet, found several DV convictions and almost certainly would have arrested ex instead. Case was still dismissed, but he spent a night in jail and probably lost a bond fee.
However, that is a narrow case that depended on this guy having a fairly extensive rap sheet.
Yes, there are plenty of times when people talk and nothing bad happens, even good things, but 99 times out of 100 basically the same result occurs when you stfu.

Basically, my philosophy is "when in doubt, invoke."

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Zero protestors at the courthouse today. Where are the thousands of patriots? Where are the horses draped in flags?

I saw Kenneth Medenbach being interviewed by a reporter in the morning, they were both standing alone on an empty block. Kinda sad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

Zero protestors at the courthouse today. Where are the thousands of patriots? Where are the horses draped in flags?

I saw Kenneth Medenbach being interviewed by a reporter in the morning, they were both standing alone on an empty block. Kinda sad.

Stuck in traffic because you can't take horses on the MAX. drat socialists.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj9Cqx7JZek

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

Having experienced being part of a jury, I think I'd opt for a bench trial if I was innocent, and a jury trial If I Did It.

"If I were innocent?" Not sure which word to use. Whatever.

To me it would boil down to " Do I want to put my future in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Your Gay Uncle posted:

To me it would boil down to " Do I want to put my future in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty?"

Nah, you're putting your future in your attorney's ability to convince those 12 people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Whats amusing is that we just had all these posts about people in this thread having jury duty. I mean if you're paid salary and its a one or two day trial why the gently caress not. I feel for the sole proprietors and hourly workers though, jury duty has to loving suck for them.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats amusing is that we just had all these posts about people in this thread having jury duty. I mean if you're paid salary and its a one or two day trial why the gently caress not. I feel for the sole proprietors and hourly workers though, jury duty has to loving suck for them.
I got paid $10 a day for two days. They've since raised it to $15. It sucks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I meant if your job pays you.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Among other things, it means I get to read a spate of the third party posts after this one. It promotes and spreads libertarian Bundy-style paranoia about law enforcement, a problem at the best of times.Refusing to speak with the police, ever, makes it much harder for them to do their jobs, and creates a massive social gulf between law enforcement and the rest of society that actually winds up adding to problems of police abuse, by creating the psychological factors that PP mentioned earlier.

To speak briefly to the anecdotes above, one of the central problems of police regulation in the US is that for a bunch of valid, messy constitutional reasons, there isn't one way the police approach things, because there isn't one set of police practices- instead there are about 18,000. It's not even "Florida police", it's "police from a particular precinct office who entered the force during a five year span when they were taught by instructor X under policy Y".

You've already demonstrated you don't know what the fifth amendment does.

Are you referring to the person who was coordinated to speak at the same time with, and worked with, the main speaker, who established the framing and promotion of the recording? Again, the guy might be a law professor, but he's promoting a lefty form of the same sort of alienating paranoia that sovcit gurus do (you're probably going to get some fun videos in your youtube recommendations for a while, btw). The video is meant to appeal to, and feeds upon, a desire to see the police as an antagonistic Other.

I mean, are we really having the "here's a seminar by a Professor telling you One Weird Trick that lets you gently caress the police, who totally have it out for you" conversation in the Bundy trial thread?

edit: christ, I forgot the channel it's hosted on.

He's not really presenting any get out of jail free device. His entire point is how much the cops are allowed to use, everything, and the ways that talking can bite you in the rear end even if your innocent. One of the themes is that the majority of cases are pleaded out even if you choose to remain silent. You can still talk to the cops after you've seen your lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

V. Do you want your fate in the hands on one guy who has seen the prosecutor and the cops on a regular basis and has to deal with them and possibly an election? Also was probably a prosecutor before this.

The only reason to go with a judge trial is if you have a complex legal (rather than factual) defense in a case with no jury appeal. Aka "yeah, I was spying on those 8 year olds changing but under penal code 12, they didn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, therefore please acquit me. Also I'm an ephebophile and that's perfectly normal judge."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Well obviously, but this guy was more talking about even people who did commit pretty minor crimes he'd just let go. Like he was really disappointed with that Wii guy because he thought it was hilarious to watch him and when he tried to get him out of the street the guy threw a punch and "aw dammit buddy now I have to arrest you"

Lots of cops are like that. Where I live I get pulled over on very rare occasions, but I'm genuinely nice and work with the cop and at worst get a verbal warning or in the case where my tail light was out, notified and then the cop took pictures with me and the bike because mopeds and motorized bikes are those quirky things. Most of the time they leave me be and wave when they go by despite not actually having a license tag for the bike (My SoS branch is kinda stupid). In the long run you're gonna have a better time being nice and helpful, while instantly going "Mah Rights!" tends to piss the cop off and get you everything he can give you because "You're gonna gently caress with me, I'm gonna gently caress with you"