Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Teeter posted:

I wish this game showed which type of pokeball was used to catch each pokemon. It's the smallest and most insignificant feature but the regular games and even pokeadvisor have had it.

I like to live dangerously and see the highest CP pokemon that I can catch with regular balls. I feel like Kramer when he explains the rush he gets from driving with low fuel, there's just something special about tossing basic balls at 1000+ cp with a deep red circle

Basic pokeballs are for garbage mon, regardless of their CP. I'll try and catch a 1000 CP tauros with a pokeball, because when a rare poke comes around I want to have enough great and ultra balls to catch those fuckers on the first try. I've had way to many pokes run away from me because I thought I could land them with a basic, even when their CP was low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I nailed an 850cp Haunter with a single red ball today. Felt pretty good. :hellyeah:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AirRaid posted:

I nailed an 850cp Haunter with a single red ball today. Felt pretty good. :hellyeah:

Did you already have him in your dex?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I heard a reviewer say "isn't it refreshing how this game doesn't hold your hand and you have to figure things out yourself or talk to other people about it, just like in the olden days?" But the reality of that is that nothing is ever settled and people never stop unknowingly spreading false information.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

Did you already have him in your dex?

I did. Does that affect catch chance in any way?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AirRaid posted:

I did. Does that affect catch chance in any way?

Yeah, catch rate is like 95% if you don't have that guy yet. So grats

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Wait what, catch rate goes up if you don't have the 'mon in your dex?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Explain how my GF has seen 4 Squirtles and every single fucker has run away then. :suicide:

She has caught Wartortle and Blastoise (34cp Blastoise, hah), but Squirtle does not like her.

Also: The aforementioned Haunter that took one red ball to the face is 91% IV.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Teeter posted:

I wish this game showed which type of pokeball was used to catch each pokemon. It's the smallest and most insignificant feature but the regular games and even pokeadvisor have had it.

I like to live dangerously and see the highest CP pokemon that I can catch with regular balls. I feel like Kramer when he explains the rush he gets from driving with low fuel, there's just something special about tossing basic balls at 1000+ cp with a deep red circle

This goes back to nothing in my play that leads me to believe that the type of ball has any impact on catches. I have had reds run/caught from ultras just as often as basic balls.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

But the reality of that is that nothing is ever settled and people never stop unknowingly spreading false information.

Yes they do. :smug:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have 75 Pokemon ready to revolve and 2 more lucky eggs left. Looks like I'll be at level 26 by the end of the week

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Teeter posted:

I always enjoyed this part of the ds games since you could fashionably match certain pokes with nicer-looking balls. However, this is much easier when you have about a dozen balls to choose from compared to the app version.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Holy poo poo the XP grind is real once you get into the late twenties. 250,000 XP to go from 27 to 28. Considering I have a little over 1.1 million XP total, that's nearly a quarter of my total XP to go up 1 level. Going to take me like 2 weeks to go up 1 level even with Lucky eggs.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

The Arcanine is 1762, and the Pidgeot is 1625 so the Arcanine has a little over a 100 more CP. What that means is the Arcanine is actually a much lower level since he would be well into the 2000s if he was powered up.

So Pidgeot is a really good pokemon, provided you ignore CP and also spend twice as long at the gym dodging even the quick moves.

Charitably, I could surmise that your Pidgeot is level 32 with IVs of 7-0-0, and that your Arcanine is level 22 with IVs of 2-12-15.

Your Pidgeot would then have 123 HP compared to your Arcanine's 122. Your Pidgeot's level-adjusted Defense would be 123 compared to your Arcanine's 120.

Your Pidgeot's level-adjusted attack would be only 132 compared to Arcanine's 145, but the base-DPS on a wing-attack/hurricane routine is 17.6 compared to the 14.9 for an Arcanine with Fire Fang, meaning the dog only has about 93% the offensive power of the bird.

So this Arcanine you have, in return for winning you less prestige when you train at friendly gyms, is worse than your Pidgeot in each metric, and you are either a moron or have an actual, literal physical disability preventing you from proficiently playing this repetitive tapping game for children.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Boywunda posted:

Holy poo poo the XP grind is real once you get into the late twenties.

https://i.redd.it/3ui41p4126kx.png

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Boywunda posted:

Holy poo poo the XP grind is real once you get into the late twenties. 250,000 XP to go from 27 to 28. Considering I have a little over 1.1 million XP total, that's nearly a quarter of my total XP to go up 1 level. Going to take me like 2 weeks to go up 1 level even with Lucky eggs.

Level 30 is 2 million xp total, so you're actually a little over halfway :downs:

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Snowy posted:

I feel your pain, I pocket purchased 8 incense with all the coins I was going to spend on bag space and incubators. Might as well have just deleted them, as helpful as incense seems to be.

I shot an email to Niantic after pocket purchasing 57 incenses ($40 worth of coins I was going to use for Incubators) awhile ago -- took them about two weeks, then they responded to me with a solution that was based on a misinterpretation of my problem (go talk to Apple about refunds + a broken link).

They got it the next time around though and put the coins back in my acct

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Eikre posted:

Charitably, I could surmise that your Pidgeot is level 32 with IVs of 7-0-0, and that your Arcanine is level 22 with IVs of 2-12-15.

Your Pidgeot would then have 123 HP compared to your Arcanine's 122. Your Pidgeot's level-adjusted Defense would be 123 compared to your Arcanine's 120.

Your Pidgeot's level-adjusted attack would be only 132 compared to Arcanine's 145, but the base-DPS on a wing-attack/hurricane routine is 17.6 compared to the 14.9 for an Arcanine with Fire Fang, meaning the dog only has about 93% the offensive power of the bird.

So this Arcanine you have, in return for winning you less prestige when you train at friendly gyms, is worse than your Pidgeot in each metric, and you are either a moron or have an actual, literal physical disability preventing you from proficiently playing this repetitive tapping game for children.

"Hmmm if I lowball your Arcanine's IVs by a considerable amount and then assume your Pidgeot has all its IVs in attack it proves that you're an idiot"

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Got all excited when I saw an allied gym with a sliver of rep needed to bump to next level. Smashed my face against the lowest mon on the gym being a 2000k Snorlax a few times before heading to the next allied gym where I ran into almost the exact same idiocy.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

"Hmmm if I lowball your Arcanine's IVs by a considerable amount and then assume your Pidgeot has all its IVs in attack it proves that you're an idiot"

No, you loving moron. When I said "charitably," I meant charitably to your point of view. If I selected different IV sets, it would have been better for the Pidgeot and worse for the Arcanine. The dog might have closed the gap on attack, but come out with, like, 20% less survivability. You want me to do the loving math?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Eikre posted:

No, you loving moron. When I said "charitably," I meant charitably to your point of view. If I selected different IV sets, it would have been better for the Pidgeot and worse for the Arcanine. The dog might have closed the gap on attack, but come out with, like, 20% less survivability. You want me to do the loving math?

A: I assume that, yes, he does.

B: Wow, there's a lot of anger in this thread sometimes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Cartouche posted:

Got all excited when I saw an allied gym with a sliver of rep needed to bump to next level. Smashed my face against the lowest mon on the gym being a 2000k Snorlax a few times before heading to the next allied gym where I ran into almost the exact same idiocy.

I dislike that too, which is why I normally will leave a lower 'mon (1300->1400ish) so people can ... you know, actually contribute. I don't give a poo poo if they get knocked out - though I is nice when they stay up for more than half a day.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah I spent a lot of time in the Destiny thread and even with the XBONE users it never felt this hostile lol.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I dislike that too, which is why I normally will leave a lower 'mon (1300->1400ish) so people can ... you know, actually contribute. I don't give a poo poo if they get knocked out - though I is nice when they stay up for more than half a day.

Really, all they needed to do was to train it one more fight to bump it to the next level. It was literally a sliver away from doing just that. At first I thought they must have dumped the snorlax in by accident and then had nothing to train against it, but then I considered how close to the next level it was. Maybe there WAS a lower CP mon that recently got knocked out, leaving the gym just underneath the next level?

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 8, 2016

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What's the benefit to being a higher level? Evolutions & hatches start with higher CP? Is that it?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Eikre posted:

Weird, I'm used to the format of ATK/DEF/STA, you must be using some strange European system

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

indigi posted:

yeah I never commented on the "berries totally change ring color!!" convo because it's astoundingly clear that it absolutely doesn't. people who think that it does should deffo get their eyes checked. thanks

quote:

Conclusion
So it is likely that there are 511 discrete possible target ring colors which vary linearly according to catch rate. What this means is that it's impossible to say for sure, for example, that simply by eyeballing a color, you can determine the exact catch rate. It's basically impossible for a human to differentiate between 2 colors as close as 0xFF8000 and 0xFF8400.

I quoted that same block of text when I posted the link to that thread originally. Don't tell us you can eyeball the difference.

The colour does change when you change balls. This implies that razzberries, if they do affect catch%, could also modify the ring. We don't know how much this value is, so there's no reason to speculate that it's 10 or 20%.

edit: pokemon go plus/buddy system video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuvdUo-fEQM

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 8, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

What's the benefit to being a higher level? Evolutions & hatches start with higher CP? Is that it?

Pretty much

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Note that if you do this, please don't leave a Hypno behind. It's just awful to train against. Parasect and Pinsir with Bug-moves can do it, a Persian with Dark moves or a Raticate with Bite + Hyper Beam. But yeah, they need to be lower CP than the Hypno for the bonus prestige and you still have to deal with those awful animations when dodging.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

A: I assume that, yes, he does.

Pidgeot, level 32. 0-0-14. Arcanine, level 21. 15-9-15.

HP: 134 vs 119
DEF: 123 vs 115
ATK: 126 vs 149; Fire Fang does 100.1% of a wing-attack/hurricane routine.

quote:

B: Wow, there's a lot of anger in this thread sometimes.

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm having great fun.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Weird, I'm used to the format of ATK/DEF/STA, you must be using some strange European system

No, you're just not very good at eighth grade math or children's video games.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Note that if you do this, please don't leave a Hypno behind. It's just awful to train against. Parasect and Pinsir with Bug-moves can do it, a Persian with Dark moves or a Raticate with Bite + Hyper Beam. But yeah, they need to be lower CP than the Hypno for the bonus prestige and you still have to deal with those awful animations when dodging.

Man I've had some really bad encounters against hypnos. My parasects, scythers, etc. all have crap health, best movesets, and I still have to dodge everything to stand a chance (going like 1300 vs 1600) because psychic eats grass. And every grass man is a bug man pretty much. I've sent my pidgeot on them and tore them up with wing attack/hurricane, so he's basically my new gym hero. Vaporeon is my strongest but it has aqua tail, and water gun x3/dodge gets boring.

I might get rid of my golbats and fearows and train up some more pidgeys, but the moveset roulette makes it kinda gash. Pidgeot is the bird god though.

edit: ^^^ big fan of the way you think about IVs. I'm reconsidering what's trash and what's still usable in gyms. I have decent attackers but no dedicated defenders.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 8, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Grinding Hypno is the second worst thing ever (behind grinding Snorlax). Lately I've been just going Hypno v Hypno and relying on my dodging to win. It does take a while though and occasionally I end up running out of time. All I want is a ~1000CP Slowbro with Water Gun and it'll be much easier.

e: the worst thing is how there are no Dark pokes which aren't Dark/Poison so basically useless against Psychic.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Cartouche posted:

Really, all they needed to do was to train it one more fight to bump it to the next level. It was literally a sliver away from doing just that. At first I thought they must have dumped the snorlax in by accident and then had nothing to train against it, but then I considered how close to the next level it was. Maybe there WAS a lower CP mon that recently got knocked out, leaving the gym just underneath the next level?

Alternatively, maybe they trained it up so that it would be harder to knock their 'mon off?

Mierenneuker posted:

Also yeah, gently caress Hypnos. I'll usually leave a flareon, electabuzz, scyther, etc. Something that's not trash (has a decent moveset) but also not gonna wipe the floor with any other valor that wants to train with at least the first 'mon.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Julio Cruz posted:

Grinding Hypno is the second worst thing ever (behind grinding Snorlax). Lately I've been just going Hypno v Hypno and relying on my dodging to win. It does take a while though and occasionally I end up running out of time. All I want is a ~1000CP Slowbro with Water Gun and it'll be much easier.

e: the worst thing is how there are no Dark pokes which aren't Dark/Poison so basically useless against Psychic.

I actually have an easy time training against snorlax(es). I mean, yeah, the HP tank is hard to drain, but pretty much ever move is easy to dodge, so hey.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Alternatively, maybe they trained it up so that it would be harder to knock their 'mon off?

Also yeah, gently caress Hypnos. I'll usually leave a flareon, electabuzz, scyther, etc. Something that's not trash (has a decent moveset) but also not gonna wipe the floor with any other valor that wants to train with at least the first 'mon.

Training a gym up to nearly the next level isn't a bad idea - if you leave it with an empty slot sometimes it gets filled by a level 7 player's 200CP Raticate which is less than useless. Making sure someone has to win a fight before they can get the slot stops that from happening.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Eikre posted:

Pidgeot, level 32. 0-0-14. Arcanine, level 21. 15-9-15.

HP: 134 vs 119
DEF: 123 vs 115
ATK: 126 vs 149; Fire Fang does 100.1% of a wing-attack/hurricane routine.

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm having great fun.

No, you're just not very good at eighth grade math or children's video games.

Wait so what format are you using now, and how are you calculating raw stats from IVs?

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

RE: RAZZBERRIES. CONFIRMED. THEY INCREASE CAPTURE CHANCE: PROOF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuvdUo-fEQM&t=930s 15:30-15:40
Goes from orange, to yellow. confirmed with my eyeballs. Get your poo poo checked, Indigi. :smuggo:

edit: aw poo poo nevermind he switched to a greatball. I don't know anymore.
edit2: if I go out today I'll get the screenshots.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 8, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Eyochigan posted:

RE: RAZZBERRIES. CONFIRMED. THEY INCREASE CAPTURE CHANCE: PROOF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuvdUo-fEQM&t=930s 15:30-15:40
Goes from orange, to yellow. confirmed with my eyeballs. Get your poo poo.r. checked, Indigi. :smuggo:

That's not very good proof though, there's a cut right after he tosses the berry. That might be a different pokemon.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I'm just happy that we're bringing data into it tbh I don't have a dog in this fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Snak posted:

I assumed that sponsored stops would be a thing if the game was successful enough. Like they couldn't put sponsored stops in if the game wasn't a bit hit and culturally relevant right now, but the goal of having them was probably right there in the proposal for the game.

They had sponsored portals in ingress and that wasn't a big hit.

• Locked thread