Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No sweat, couple tips I learned the hard way. Just like regular paint, powder coat paint is only as good as the prep, you need clean metal, both from a rust and old paint standpoint, and from an oil and grease standpoint.

For the bark busters I did today, I ran them on a coarse wire wheel to get the factory paint off, then I wiped them down with acetone and a coffee filter (no fuzz from a coffee filter, unlike a rag).

Also, any powder coat you buy will come with a time and temperature, the powder I did today was 20 minutes at 400 degrees. The thing you have to remember is that the powder needs to cook at that temperature for that time to cure properly, so if you're putting room temp parts in there, the curing doesn't begin until the part hits 400 degrees. So for the bark busters I put them in at 400 for 30 minutes.

Lastly, get the biggest, hottest toaster oven you can. I bought one today that is 18x9 and hits 450 degrees.

Thanks for this. I already have a lovely sugar blasting setup so prep isn't a big deal for me anyway. Your degrees threw me for a bit until I realised you use inferior imperial capitalist units :downs:

Good tip on the coffee filter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha, yeah, sorry, 400 Fahrenheit

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Holy drat, now I want to do my own powder coating!

Question:

If I had, say, a kickstand that was rusty and abused (because it's a kickstand), would powder-coating be a good option for it? I'm mostly trying to de-rust then keep it from getting further wrecked when I put the stand down on asphalt.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sold it. Goodbye WR250X, you were a fantastic bike. Now, I am bikeless. :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Sold it. Goodbye WR250X, you were a fantastic bike. Now, I am bikeless. :(

buy Z3n's superduke :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lynza posted:

Holy drat, now I want to do my own powder coating!

Question:

If I had, say, a kickstand that was rusty and abused (because it's a kickstand), would powder-coating be a good option for it? I'm mostly trying to de-rust then keep it from getting further wrecked when I put the stand down on asphalt.

Yes, it would basically be the hardest available coating outside of ceramic coating.

That said, regularly grinding against asphalt will wear down any coating to bare metal eventually

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, it would basically be the hardest available coating outside of ceramic coating.

That said, regularly grinding against asphalt will wear down any coating to bare metal eventually

I figure if it's easy enough to do at home, I could just re-coat it from time to time. I'd just like to keep it from getting (more) trashed and rusty.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What's with some powder coats looking glossy and smooth and others (like oor Jim's) looking gritty? Is it just about the coarseness of powder you get? Is there a strength/durability benefit to the grittier stuff compared to fine?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

What's with some powder coats looking glossy and smooth and others (like oor Jim's) looking gritty? Is it just about the coarseness of powder you get? Is there a strength/durability benefit to the grittier stuff compared to fine?

different paints have different finishes.
I saw one that was flat black with copper colored lumps popping out of it everywhere. Gnarly stuff.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

After selling the ex250 (miss that one) and the wr250x, I can afford an upgrade, but I can't afford anywhere near that. The 1290 is an "after I graduate college and know what income is" dream bike.

I have my sights set on Jazzzzz's 690 SMC, though. :toot: 2x the power to weight, plus an extra gallon of gas tank, minus any ability to put luggage on the back, here I hopefully come.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I figure if it's easy enough to do at home, I could just re-coat it from time to time. I'd just like to keep it from getting (more) trashed and rusty.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/kickstand_shoes/

Not as cool as DIY powdercoating, admittedly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

I specifically did my bark busters in a light wrinkle finish, which gives t that bumpy look. You can of course also get the flat, satin, eggshell, gloss, semi gloss, etc that you can get in regular paints as well. There are also heavy wrinkles, textures, color veins, all sorts of stuff

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 8, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lynza posted:

Most of the kick stand would be fine, it's just the bottom of the foot (and maybe only a few specific spots there ) that would get ground down. And you don't see those most of the time anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Most of the kick stand would be fine, it's just the bottom of the foot (and maybe only a few specific spots there ) that would get ground down. And you don't see those most of the time anyway.

Powdercoat, let the ground contact patch wear away, then sand the rust off and spray on bed-liner or similar.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The guzzi got some crash bars

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

After selling the ex250 (miss that one) and the wr250x, I can afford an upgrade, but I can't afford anywhere near that. The 1290 is an "after I graduate college and know what income is" dream bike.

I have my sights set on Jazzzzz's 690 SMC, though. :toot: 2x the power to weight, plus an extra gallon of gas tank, minus any ability to put luggage on the back, here I hopefully come.

Alternately, buy Koruthaiolos's TR650.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

The best would be a thick rubber tire-like coating

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Alternately, buy Koruthaiolos's TR650.

I almost did, last December. I feel really bad about getting his hopes up on that, by inquiring. At the end of the day, I had to pass because I couldn't feasibly get supermoto wheels for it, and it was too exotic. Fully nuts for the TR650, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I almost did, last December. I feel really bad about getting his hopes up on that, by inquiring. At the end of the day, I had to pass because I couldn't feasibly get supermoto wheels for it, and it was too exotic. Fully nuts for the TR650, though.

So just as an anecdote, my experience with them is that they have excellent street manners on 70/30 tires. My father in law just did a trip from Arkansas to Deals Gap and back on his with street tires on the stock wheels and apparently it was good.

Def. a little bit exotic though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

clutchpuck posted:

The best would be a thick rubber tire-like coating

Or you could make a replaceable foot from rubber or aluminum held in to a newly powder-coated luck stand.

I just realized this would be awesome, and now I want to do it to my FZ's rear end-looking center stand.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Elviscat posted:

Or you could make a replaceable foot from rubber or aluminum held in to a newly powder-coated luck stand.

I just realized this would be awesome, and now I want to do it to my FZ's rear end-looking center stand.

I wonder how hard it would be to make one from a recycled tire. You'd need some tough shears for a radial, but I bet it would be rad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, cut the tread block off so it's no more than 3/8" thick so it doesn't mess with the kickstand's geometry, cut some 1/8" alu stock into an hourglass shape, drill and countersink both ends, grind a compatable shape in the rubber with a burr, then drill and tap two holes ib the stand's foot, then use two #10 stainless screw to hold it on. Grind flat for looks. You could probably do it in a couple hours with a Dremel and a tap.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So just as an anecdote, my experience with them is that they have excellent street manners on 70/30 tires. My father in law just did a trip from Arkansas to Deals Gap and back on his with street tires on the stock wheels and apparently it was good.

Def. a little bit exotic though.

To follow up, they were Shinko 705s, so 80/20 and not street. He still says it's awesome on pavement though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since the powder coating discussion sparked a decent amount of interest and questions, I videoed myself powdering a part tonight, so I can explain it, i'll post it up in a bit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since the powder coating discussion sparked a decent amount of interest and questions, I videoed myself powdering a part tonight, so I can explain it, i'll post it up in a bit

:f5::f5::f5:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

e: i posted this then went back to the control panel and got really excited because i saw this thread at the top. :smith:

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 9, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll finish editing tonight and post it. Promise!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh my renders of the video have no sound!! Apparently I'm running into this: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1056445

Video still coming!!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh my renders of the video have no sound!! Apparently I'm running into this: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1056445

Video still coming!!

Looks like from that thread it may just be an issue with the latest version of Creative Cloud and you can workaround by installing an older version of Premiere - grab Premiere CS2 from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

And install it using the keys on that site (There are free downloads of unlocked CS2 versions of all their software on that link - Adobe shut down the auth server for that version and they made those unlocked versions available for download so users would not be prevented from using their copies of CS2, but anyone can download them by creating an account using a throwaway email; CS2 is effectively free for anyone at this point)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Drained the oil, changed the oil filter (after much loud swearing), pulled the timing coil cover and made a start on scraping off the old gasket, replaced the o-ring on the plug bolt for the main crankcase oil drain line (which I'm fairly certain was the source of the leak coating my boot).

There was a ton of instant sealant in there, I've got my fingers crossed that's the reason it was leaking and PO tried to take the easy way out instead of replacing the o-ring and torquing the bolt down.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Now, I am bikeless. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I woke up this morning and my first thought was "I need to go on a rid-OH NOOO"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

Looks like from that thread it may just be an issue with the latest version of Creative Cloud and you can workaround by installing an older version of Premiere - grab Premiere CS2 from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

And install it using the keys on that site (There are free downloads of unlocked CS2 versions of all their software on that link - Adobe shut down the auth server for that version and they made those unlocked versions available for download so users would not be prevented from using their copies of CS2, but anyone can download them by creating an account using a throwaway email; CS2 is effectively free for anyone at this point)

Gonna try this because

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Did my 5k mile oilchange today. (Yeah, I know the interval is 8k, but I'm normally lazy but felt like doing poo poo today.)

Pro tIp: If you're doing this outside on a windy day, put some rocks in your drain pan. The wind picked up the second I pulled the drain plug and blew the drain pan halfway down my driveway.

After that fiasco, I just did my monthly general inspection, clean the bugs out of the crevasses, clean and re-grease the chain, etc.

Re-adjusted the back brake lever and shifter for my new chunkier boots.

Also installed the new USB-C quickcharger for my Nexus 6P.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Since my aborted road trip about a month ago, my bike's chain was still sounding weird so I decided to get a closer look. I've been dealing with a bunch of personal and business crap so I haven't been riding at all since I got back, which is probably a good thing seeing as the sprocket was the source of my noise after all. Swapping out both sprockets and a new chain got rid of the sound. It's easier to see in person than in the picture, but the teeth are starting to hook slightly.

Google's showing me plenty of sprockets with worse wear, but was I right to turn back after all? I probably could have made it the extra 500 or so miles but the last thing I wanted was to be stranded on a highway in Florida during august.

e: quick edit to explain where the hell I was. I was about 500 miles from home when I decided to stop, so another 500 miles to get back. It would have been another 250 to my destination, so total distance would have been ~1500 miles. I noticed the sound around 300 miles into the trip and couldn't ignore it any longer.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 11, 2016

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I had a good run of projects crossed off the list for today. New upgrades/installs on the DRZ are as follows.

Installed the 'case savers' covers. Hopefully the masking tape is strong enough to hold it as it cures.
Installed a mirror to at least attempt to get my bike looking legal-ish. I still need to figure out a permanent mirror solution, but for now I just have a little bar end tucked into my bars to give me at least some vision.
New tail light assembly. I ditched the integrated unit the PO installed (with smoke colored lens) because it was too dim to see even at night. The new system is the basic thumper talk unit, and it works much better.

Also, my O-ring set just arrived, so tomorrow is going to be carb-overhaul-day. :toot: Time to learn more about motorcycles.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fishvilla posted:

Installed a mirror to at least attempt to get my bike looking legal-ish. I still need to figure out a permanent mirror solution, but for now I just have a little bar end tucked into my bars to give me at least some vision.

If you have any sort of handguards, get this. They are cheap, bolt in fast, and work really well.
https://www.amazon.com/PowerMadd-34289-Trail-Handguard-Mirror/dp/B00E62MUYM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Since my aborted road trip about a month ago, my bike's chain was still sounding weird so I decided to get a closer look. I've been dealing with a bunch of personal and business crap so I haven't been riding at all since I got back, which is probably a good thing seeing as the sprocket was the source of my noise after all. Swapping out both sprockets and a new chain got rid of the sound. It's easier to see in person than in the picture, but the teeth are starting to hook slightly.

Google's showing me plenty of sprockets with worse wear, but was I right to turn back after all? I probably could have made it the extra 500 or so miles but the last thing I wanted was to be stranded on a highway in Florida during august.

e: quick edit to explain where the hell I was. I was about 500 miles from home when I decided to stop, so another 500 miles to get back. It would have been another 250 to my destination, so total distance would have been ~1500 miles. I noticed the sound around 300 miles into the trip and couldn't ignore it any longer.

Sprockets don't wear out that fast and you'd probably have been fine for another 500 miles, but that one is definitely on its last legs, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

Sprockets don't wear out that fast and you'd probably have been fine for another 500 miles, but that one is definitely on its last legs, yeah.

It's worth noting that this is true, unless we're talking an aluminum sprocket.

edit: As another note, never buy aluminum sprockets.