Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just going to say 'make it so' to customers today and see if they react

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mossyfisk posted:

Doesn't the other Alpha Quadrant changeling we meet in DS9 shapeshift into a warp-capable starship?

It was a space-faring creature, not a ship.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This may just be me, but I sort of saw all of DS9 operating on a much, MUCH larger scale than they depict.

There's an episode where they have I think Jake and Bashir stuck in the midst of a war zone while the Federation is fighting the Klingons. Naturally most of the war scenes are happening outside of the cave they are in, and you only have four or five extras with guns to have as enemy Klingons, but the dialogue, the descriptions of the battles, and the general tone of it all suggest a Warhammer 40k-scale war, with Klingons enacting incredible acts of genocide and violence as they sweep across the planet like Mongols, Federation troops totally outgunned and pressed to desperation.

DS9 tells and doesn't show to incredible effect. I feel like for television, this ought to have a new term. Doctor Who is the original master of this, managing to take echoey sound stages and warhouse sets and transforming them into myriads alien worlds, alternate dimensions, strange timelines, etc. In fact, a First Doctor (maybe Second) episode has the Doctor and co end up in a gap between dimensions, exploring essentially a space outside of space, and this is demonstrated with basically a cheap, cheap sound stage set, nothing but white walls and floor, a little smoke, some cardboard walls...and it works, perhaps even better than a great special effects effort would, precisely because it looks so cheap and weird that it sells the weirdness of the setting.

Making a lot with a little is one of the wonderful things television does best.

That's a Star Trek \ TV budget thing in general. The Enterprise-D is huge and has tons of rooms never shown onscreen, but in the show, we mostly just see a bunch of beige hallways and never really get that sense. Like, there's a huge shuttlebay we never see, plus a room where they literally keep whales and dolphins.

Star Trek: TMP is one of the few times where we get a good sense of scale, because the movie did actually have a pretty big budget.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BBC-A is doing what CBS won't. A TOS marathon kicks off tonight at 8:30 with 'The Man Trap', all episodes will be unedited, they will not be cut down for syndication.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Clearly CBS would rather run a rerun of Big Bang Theory or one of their other garbage shows than anything else

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Bang Theory rerun is actually 8. 8:30 is some show called 'Life in Pieces.'

I guess if they ran it at 8:30 it would run into Big Brother. The horror.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's a Star Trek \ TV budget thing in general. The Enterprise-D is huge and has tons of rooms never shown onscreen, but in the show, we mostly just see a bunch of beige hallways and never really get that sense. Like, there's a huge shuttlebay we never see, plus a room where they literally keep whales and dolphins.

Star Trek: TMP is one of the few times where we get a good sense of scale, because the movie did actually have a pretty big budget.

I was thinking about the scale of a Galaxy class the other day and wondered if, like during the Dominion War for example, they stripped a Galaxy class of all excess personnel (families, science crews, maybe beef up engineering and security a bit, I think you'd end up with a crew of like 500), consolidated them in quarters on the interior sections of the saucer, and then locked off the vacant areas and shut off power to them.

No life support, no gravity, no replicators, no lighting, no automated cleaning robots (or whatever), in a considerable portion of a Galaxy class starship. Reroute that power to shields or weapons or both.

Would that make an appreciable difference?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Want.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jmgi/?cpg=nngnsornbst

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McNally posted:

I was thinking about the scale of a Galaxy class the other day and wondered if, like during the Dominion War for example, they stripped a Galaxy class of all excess personnel (families, science crews, maybe beef up engineering and security a bit, I think you'd end up with a crew of like 500), consolidated them in quarters on the interior sections of the saucer, and then locked off the vacant areas and shut off power to them.

No life support, no gravity, no replicators, no lighting, no automated cleaning robots (or whatever), in a considerable portion of a Galaxy class starship. Reroute that power to shields or weapons or both.

Would that make an appreciable difference?

Given that the energy-based weapons are designed to overload/damage/destroy other spaceships, I'm sure that their energy use is many orders of magnitude greater than what life support requires. Now if, instead of just leaving those areas empty, they were to convert them into additional dedicated weapon space, that would make the whole ship a massive terror death machine.

Thematically, that would be devastating. The ship design we associate with peace and understanding become a form of horror and destruction? It would really drive home the sacrifices the Federation would be willing to make, but it would be enough of a mindfuck for viewers that it would require more than just a passing reference.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think it would have been cool if we'd started seeing saucer-less Galaxys.

EDIT: I mean, really, they should have separated Odyssey for what was obviously a combat mission.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hell yes, the future is here

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

One charge lasts 10 hours? Christ. Needs to be a bit longer than that. I guess it's ok for convention wear.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Barclay has a soul because he was able to remember everything during transport, even though it's been established multiple times that the transporter breaks you down molecule by molecule and turns you into energy.

God what a poo poo episode that was.

The Barclay particles that comprise the matter stream remain entangled during transport! Or something!
                  /
                /
:techno:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think it would have been cool if we'd started seeing saucer-less Galaxys.

EDIT: I mean, really, they should have separated Odyssey for what was obviously a combat mission.

Saucer less galaxy looks really dumb though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

One charge lasts 10 hours? Christ. Needs to be a bit longer than that. I guess it's ok for convention wear.

Bluetooth tends to be quite energy intensive

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
There's a TOS communicator bluetooth speaker/mic set I saw at Best Buy. An absurd $150 but you can answer your phone on it and talk. I'd never pay that much for a loving gimmick but drat if part of me doesn't desperately want one.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bluetooth tends to be quite energy intensive

Why? Is it literally always transmitting, even when nothing is going on?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why? Is it literally always transmitting, even when nothing is going on?

There's a constant buildup of Bluetooth particles

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Subyng posted:

Saucer less galaxy looks really dumb though.

Way less dumb than some of the kitbash atrocities that cropped up

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Way less dumb than some of the kitbash atrocities that cropped up

can you post some screens of the kitbashes that appeared on screen other than the wolf 359 scene and the nebula? I dont remember any more than those. I mean I remeber a bunch of designs, but never ones seen on the actual shows/movies.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Good place to start.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/kitbash.htm

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ds9tm.htm

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This forever remains the best ship in trek

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Note that he refuses referrals from SA

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tunicate posted:

It's also written by an incredibly insufferable sperg who has a tantrum in almost every single Kelvin ship entry.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

After The War posted:

Given that the energy-based weapons are designed to overload/damage/destroy other spaceships, I'm sure that their energy use is many orders of magnitude greater than what life support requires. Now if, instead of just leaving those areas empty, they were to convert them into additional dedicated weapon space, that would make the whole ship a massive terror death machine.

Thematically, that would be devastating. The ship design we associate with peace and understanding become a form of horror and destruction? It would really drive home the sacrifices the Federation would be willing to make, but it would be enough of a mindfuck for viewers that it would require more than just a passing reference.
I thought that's what they were doing with those Galaxies in the Dominion war? Like at that point Starfleet was doing this poo poo to win, and I remember from my old beloved TNG tech manual that they had at least six spare Galaxy frames laying around which they just did not bother to finish building, probably as the writers leaving themselves room for a ship replacement plot or something.

So what I figured they did is they took those things, left out most of the advanced stuff, and loaded up extra power generators and poo poo in the empty spaces that normally hold Stellar Cartography and so on. The saucer section is much less of a liability if you replace the orphanariums with tertiary shield generators!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Via General Chat:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Spock, son of Spook, grandson of Spank

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I loved Spxyx's concept albums.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Tunicate posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's also written by an incredibly insufferable sperg who has a tantrum in almost every single Kelvin ship entry.

I said it was a good start, not that the writer is a particularly stable individual. :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mr. Spunk.

Or my favorite Megaman villain, Mr. Spark.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My son is also named Spork

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Spork is on there twice.

I mean, I know a spork is useful to have around, but come on Bob.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What the gently caress is Spxyx?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FlamingLiberal posted:

My son is also named Spork

That's Spokk to you

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Really not sure if Justman is trolling Gene or being sincere.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Evek posted:

Really not sure if Justman is trolling Gene or being sincere.

Both. Go through that list and say them aloud. A good third of them are audibly the same.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that I had heard of this "rule" as far back as the 80s when a schoolyard buddy told me about it. He also told me that all female Vulcan names started with T'

Which I think they more or less still hold to, don't they?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I could have sworn there was an ambassador whose name started with M. M'rel or something like that?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

T'pau, T'pol... Saavik? Valeris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Saavik being an example of the variation on the rule (which I think I also heard) that said all Vulcan names (regardless of sex) should start with S and end with K (which also gives us Sybok).

I feel like there has been one hell of a game of telephone between all the various creative teams over the decades.