Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Geoff Johns has confirmed Joe Manginello is playing Deathstroke and he's the villain of the Affleck directed Batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dacap posted:

Geoff Johns has confirmed Joe Manginello is playing Deathstroke and he's the villain of the Affleck directed Batman

I am still really hopeful about the Affleck solo film, but this is kind of meh.

The clip of him from before didn't look amazing and there is nothing really terrible about Joe Manginello, but he's not an especially compelling actor. There's better villains from a story perspective as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Actually, this is going to own.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Actually, this is going to own.

Especially the part where Deathstroke slowly takes off his costume :allears:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My only exposure to Joe Manginello is the new PeeWee movie, so I'm just going to assume Deathstroke is really pissed at Batman for snubbing his birthday invite.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The clip of him from before didn't look amazing and there is nothing really terrible about Joe Manginello, but he's not an especially compelling actor. There's better villains from a story perspective as well.

All I can think of when I hear his name is Marshall's bro-douche friend from How I Met Your Mother.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke the Terminator" is painfully 90s for a guy who debuted in 1980. Ahead of his time as always.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just realized that a wolf man is going to be playing a character created by a Wolfman. :haw:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Timby posted:

All I can think of when I hear his name is Marshall's bro-douche friend from How I Met Your Mother.

He was also "Big Dick Rick" in Magic Mike XXL.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dacap posted:

I hope is just one of the villains. Deathstroke is not really a high profile villain outside of Teen Titans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like that it's a villain Batman hasn't tussled with on screen before and since Batman is literally America I'm preemptively ready to hunker down for some deep cuts on American interventionist policy and drone warfare collateral damage.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

Read this as Joe Pantoliano

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just realized that a wolf man is going to be playing a character created by a Wolfman. :haw:

Fueling speculation that Lobo will make an appearance.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Geoff Johns is writing the Batman movie and rewrote the Wonder Woman movie with "Crisis of Conscience" collaborator Allan Heinberg, lol. The future is looking real dark and it's not because it's gritty.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Equilibrium posted:

Geoff Johns is writing the Batman movie and rewrote the Wonder Woman movie with "Crisis of Conscience" collaborator Allan Heinberg, lol. The future is looking real dark and it's not because it's gritty.

I almost want to say it's hard to do worse than Goyer but that's clearly not the case.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is Geoff doing a full rewrite of Affleck's script?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've honestly come to appreciate Goyer's style. It's very light on exposition and relies a lot on the director to step up the visual storytelling though. He's lucky his biggest scripts were done by Nolan and Snyder.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

greatn posted:

I've honestly come to appreciate Goyer's style. It's very light on exposition and relies a lot on the director to step up the visual storytelling though. He's lucky his biggest scripts were done by Nolan and Snyder.

Ehhhh....Batman Begins was basically all exposition. Fear fear fear fear FEAR fear Fear...FEAR, explain oneself completely, repeat. Nolan(s) wrote more of Dark Knight and even more of DKR to the point where they probably basically did all of both, and the differences show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Deathstroke as a major character in the movies bums me out because that probably means we're unlikely to get more Manu Bennett in Arrow.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Deathstroke as a major character in the movies bums me out because that probably means we're unlikely to get more Manu Bennett in Arrow.

that's good, his plot was done by season 2 and the one time they brought him back in season 3 was really dumb and pointless

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nolan did a page one rewrite of the Goyer Batman Begins script, itself influenced by the Year One script Aronofsky and Miller wrote a half decade prior. Beyond that, Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises were 100% Chris and Jon, with Goyer getting a credit for the use of characters like Rachel and other reoccurring aspects that can be linked back to his Begins draft (thus the story, and not screenplay, credit). Goyer did sit in on the writing sessions for Dark Knight, but acted as the watchman of canonical stuff - basically keeping them from diverting too much off the established archetypes of Batman/Joker/Two-Face stuff. He was basically entirely out of the picture during Dark Knight Rises' development as he was working on the story Bible for Da Vinci's Demons and writing Man of Steel by that point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lobok posted:

Fueling speculation that Lobo will make an appearance.

I want and not want this at the same time.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

that's good, his plot was done by season 2 and the one time they brought him back in season 3 was really dumb and pointless

That's because the writer's room for Arrow is stupid as gently caress. I mean look at seasons 3 & 4.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Geoff doing a full rewrite of Affleck's script?

They're announced as co-writers from the beginning.

Anyway, weren't the seasons where Johns was in charge the best ones for Arrow and Flash? And they started to become worse after he left?

edit:
Another Batman movie trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGeQKu8RXDc

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

A Robin reference from Slade would be kind of cool but mentioning the whole Teen Titans wouldn't work in the DCEU.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure how I feel about the voice acting so far. Burt still sounds dead on, but Adam West...I think he's going a bit too far. He sounds more like Parody Adam West, and not how he was in the actual show, where he was super serious every time.

Also the Joker not having a mustache is a goddamn crime.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's also been 50 years since he first played Batman. I'll cut him some slack.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The animation is also boring. It reads exactly like any of the recent DC-WB animations, which undermines the whole aesthetic and tonal novelty of it.

It looks dumb.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's a good choice he's very charming and sexy. Also he's a really big guy so it's good that they have someone to match Aflecks Batman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

The animation is also boring. It reads exactly like any of the recent DC-WB animations, which undermines the whole aesthetic and tonal novelty of it.

It looks dumb.

Well, there's a big, major problem - the lighting. It's like they took the DC house style coloring and applied it to an animated feature. Batman 66 took place more or less completely in daytime, not in Thrillkiller Gotham or Sin City.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Stealing this from BSS, but apparently Geoff Johns just gave a big interview on Justice League to the Wall Street Journal.

DC’s Geoff Johns Reveals How ‘Justice League’ Will Address ‘Batman v Superman‘ Criticisms

Apparently they are making big changes to Justice League to address the BvS criticisms. Sounds good. They are going to make sure they don't have terrible editing, weird character motivations, cameos shoehorned in during the final fight that kill the pacing, bad writing, and a lack of impactful action scenes?

Nope.

Apparently the lessons DC learned from BvS are:

quote:

Mistakenly in the past I think the studio has said, ‘Oh, DC films are gritty and dark and that’s what makes them different.’ That couldn’t be more wrong. It’s a hopeful and optimistic view of life. Even Batman has a glimmer of that in him. If he didn’t think he’d make tomorrow better, he’d stop.

Eh, lighter tone could be good, but it wasn't really what dragged BvS down.

quote:

Johns says Justice League will directly address Affleck’s more violent and volatile version of Batman

Okay, fixing the "not my Batman" issue. It didn't bother me before and if they change it back, it won't really bother me again. But this is still not what dragged BvS down...

quote:

Johns also says that Justice League won’t have any of Snyder’s “controversial flourishes,”

This apparently means: no "nightmare scenes, slow motion, dream sequences, and other Snyder visual flair."

I'm not super crazy about Snyder, but why have him direct at this point then?

It feels like DC didn't learn any of the right lessons from BvS and Suicide Squad and is either bullshitting for PR purposes or flailing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 9, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The lesson they need to learn is not to listen to Geoff Johns.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I think there may be more slow motion in the trailer for Wonder Woman than in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman combined.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
BvS in all likelihood is gonna be the only decent one of these movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what happened last time we had a comic book guy make a movie? We got The Spirit.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm not sure how I'm missing that point when the post you quoted literally contains the words "the [PoC] director never makes it onto the shortlist in the first place" but hey man

If the point you're trying to make here is that PoC/female/LGBT representation in major studio direction is rare enough that it ought to be celebrated as an unalloyed good regardless of any other context, then I sympathize with that? But like, it feels like a needlessly cynical place to set your goalposts when we already have folks mentioning Taika Waititi, Rick Famuyiwa, and James Wan and their upcoming superhero blockbusters. Like that list is still way way way too small to declare that Hollywood Racism is Over by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a micro-trend that inspires more initial confidence than the idea of giving the director's chair to white dudes 14 times in a row and then remembering that a black dude exists around the same time you need someone for Black Panther

If that's not the point you're trying to make, then man, you've lost me

My point is that that the idea that the particular film executivse that would narrow down a shortlist of directors to a minority, and then reject that minority based on the landscape of diverse directors would not be the same film executives who would even include a minority director in the first place. Therefore, it's completely absurd to believe that "pandering" to minority directors would harm them in the long run.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Detective Dog Dick posted:

BvS in all likelihood is gonna be the only decent one of these movies.

Damning with the faintest of praise.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

It looks dumb.

Seriously; it's a no-brainer.

It feels like DC didn't learn any of the right lessons from BvS and Suicide Squad

The thing is that fans (like yourself) aren't actually 'teaching a lesson' with their inarticulate responses, so any effort to please you will never succeed. I'd say BVS made a mere billion dollars because it lacked Ellen Page, Superman's ice-breath attack, and cameos from the Air Bud pups.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Damning with the faintest of praise.

Regardless of what you think the quality of BvS is, it's by far the most ambitious and visually impressive superhero movie ever made. But for whatever reason, people watch super hero movies for their plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think there may be more slow motion in the trailer for Wonder Woman than in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman combined.

That's what stood out to me about that trailer too, since I don't think there was a single second of slow-mo in either of MoS or BvS.

• Locked thread