Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zzulu posted:

The moment Fedor started fighting not cherry picked heavyweights he started looking like poo poo. He got owned by all the good ones (and Dan Henderson, who is a middleweight) and was last seen getting almost killed by Homer Simpson before the corrupt judges gave him a BS win

...said about every 'good fighter' ever, once they break their bones/age too much and the newer generation simply outpaces them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Don Frye was a funny showman. I kinda wish more fighters nowadays in the UFC were, cause if you can't be actually good at least have some style that isn't essentially 'teenage manbaby.' poo poo, I even miss Bob Sapp lol.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah except the same generation is still fighting in the UFC

Josh Barnett won a fight just the other week, Dan Henderson is fighting for the title soon

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I want Henderson to KO Bisping one more time, and retire with the belt. He'd be the greatest American hero of all time.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

Don Frye was a funny showman. I kinda wish more fighters nowadays in the UFC were, cause if you can't be actually good at least have some style that isn't essentially 'teenage manbaby.' poo poo, I even miss Bob Sapp lol.

The UFC has some big personalities, but it certainly does seem more reserved than it use to be.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zzulu posted:

yeah except the same generation is still fighting in the UFC

Josh Barnett won a fight just the other week, Dan Henderson is fighting for the title soon

He never fought Josh Barnett tho - that fight got cancelled on account of him (as in Josh) supposedly failing the drug test. Dan Henderson, fair enough, but drat...if you think a guy who spent his 20s fighting people from around the world, including a lot of UFCers, who goes through poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtFvR7QRmow

or fights downright behemoths, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3QzX1ZadJM

...or just basically, used combat sambo - which is all about being explosive, thus increasing chances for you to break your bones, won't be diminished by the time he enters his 30s? *shrug* I dunno what to tell you, lol. He wore himself out, but he was something else in the 2000s and most in the UFC p much acknowledged it, even if he never could get in due to Dana/Pride mobsters or whatevs.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey I haven't checked in on this thread in a few days fellas hehe just wanted to stop by and find out if ronda rousey is still fat. If anyone could let me know I'd appreciate it, have a blessed day everyone :D

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

el B posted:

I want Henderson to KO Bisping one more time, and retire with the belt. He'd be the greatest American hero of all time.

I could rewatch that fight over and over. Henderson hit him after he was clearly KO'd like a massive piece of poo poo and I loved it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey I haven't checked in on this thread in a few days fellas hehe just wanted to stop by and find out if ronda rousey is still fat. If anyone could let me know I'd appreciate it, have a blessed day everyone :D

Rounda Rousey still fat

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

If you want to be a fedor fan then it's really, really important to not over-extrapolate his accomplishments.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ElGroucho posted:

Rounda Rousey still fat

Is she, like, completely out of MMA now officially or just taking a chubby break?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

proof of concept posted:

cough cough JOSH BARNETT cough OVEREEM a-hem

I was only counting actual fights. Also one of those 4 losses was from a split open eyebrow that they couldn't close up I believe. A loss but not due to lack of skill.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was responding to this part:

jonathan posted:

the only opponents he wasnt tested with were guys under contract with the ufc

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

proof of concept posted:

If you want to be a fedor fan then it's really, really important to not over-extrapolate his accomplishments.

And where do I do that, exactly? I'm the first to admit that nowadays I don't feel like watching him anymore, since now his fights genuinely are super-fixed. I just find it hilarious when folks say: "Naw, it was always like that with him in 2000 blahblahblah, UFC 4evah." lol

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

CrazyLoon posted:

Is she, like, completely out of MMA now officially or just taking a chubby break?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooboy knows! Her return will make UFC a ton of PPV if she comes back in a year or so but who knows. That lost just kind of broke her.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

proof of concept posted:

I was responding to this part:

Ohhhh, my bad then, i apologise for the smart rear end response. I mean yeah there are quite a few greats from ufc that he didnt fight, and a few pretty greats from ufc that he fought passed their prime.

Semi related to fedor, I've always liked working out with a tractor tire, a sledge hammer and a hill. Took the old lady out to the football training park near my house. She does crossfit 3 days a week and yoga 3 days. I always figured crossfit would be good conditioning but with these semi-heavy anaerobic exercises she really had difficulty. Makes me wonder what she isn't doing on those workout classes.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BexGu posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooboy knows! Her return will make UFC a ton of PPV if she comes back in a year or so but who knows. That lost just kind of broke her.

I don't get it, her biggest loss was as an olympian. She's been through failure before. As a fighter in general, why play into the whole drama thing ? If I was a pro fighter I'd have the humbleness of a hockey player pre and post game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

jonathan posted:

I don't get it, her biggest loss was as an olympian. She's been through failure before. As a fighter in general, why play into the whole drama thing ? If I was a pro fighter I'd have the humbleness of a hockey player pre and post game.

That was before she as the face of a sport and a movie star. I really think she started to believe the hype a little too much about being the greatest female fighter of all time.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

CrazyLoon posted:

Dana White has stopped insisting that she is coming back. Only that "when she comes back" she'll break records. Even if she gives an interview now you can't ask questions about fighting or she ends the interview.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Trast posted:

Even if she gives an interview now you can't ask questions about fighting or she ends the interview.

Holy loving loll (or should I say Holly lol) please tell me there is a video montage of this

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
No OP I do not remember Ronda Rousey

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trast posted:

Dana White has stopped insisting that she is coming back. Only that "when she comes back" she'll break records. Even if she gives an interview now you can't ask questions about fighting or she ends the interview.

Hello I am famous for X and I will give you an interview but if you ask me about X I will STORM OFF

please pay me to do an interview?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
shes a bad sport and has poor character and believes dumb things and acts like a baby when things dont go her way

im so happy with the work shes done in highlighting the equality of gender in a hypermasculine sport to prove that women fighters can be just as much of worthless undignified retards as their male counterparts

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I'm not surprised, motherfucker

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

whoflungpoop posted:

shes a bad sport and has poor character and believes dumb things and acts like a baby when things dont go her way

im so happy with the work shes done in highlighting the equality of gender in a hypermasculine sport to prove that women fighters can be just as much of worthless undignified retards as their male counterparts

:eyepop:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

evobatman posted:

It was Joanna Champion :getin:

Many of the female UFC fighters started with MMA because their boyfriends were fighters and they wanted to try it, or somebody at their gym said they should take a lesson. Bethe Correia was a fat accountant who wanted to lose weight. We like Paige VanZant because she can take a beating and have some good wins, but without her pretty face, she wouldn't be here. Through luck or connections, they managed to end up in the UFC.

Joanna on the other hand, had 50 professional kickboxing fights before being asked to fight in the UFC.

To bring this full circle, Paige VanZant did crossfit before getting into MMA, and she only tried MMA because she dated Cody Garbrandt.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Robot Pride posted:

these comments are so dumb that i doubt you can feed yourselves safely

i wrestled in high school and some in college and never took steroids and also did a bit of ultramarathon and my military combat (line) training, etc

you see the person in the uniform that meets marathon runners at the finish line in the olympics?? yeah, that person is not allowed to let the runner leave their sight once finishing till they watch them produce a urine sample and then it is run through a full panel....2 hour marathons can be legitimate but if you need more reasons to rationalize your sedentary lifestyles then go ahead but at least be honest about it

was pretty sure my post was dripping if not drenched in obvious sarcasm :shrug:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Trast posted:

What kind of sad sack would want to interview her now

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
hahaha ronda owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-maD43JRz-U

naem
May 29, 2011

I would know nothing about the sport without her honestly and now I watch people hurt each other all the time thanks Rhonda

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frosted Flake posted:

e: I'd kind of like to see hockey players fight people outside of their style too.

Most hockey players are just one-arm throwing machines. Big windmill right hands firing like a piston. All they do with that left is grab/hold the shirt. Most of them usually end up breaking that hand or fingers after gassing out.

They know gently caress about the sweet science.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
ronda from 5 days ago.

she's probably over it, but I don't think she's been training at all. there's like 5 girls now who can contend the title and haven't taken a yearlong depression break. surprised the UFC still has her ranked tbh.

this is still my favorite picture of her

face to foot style, how'd you like it?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
they still have her ranked because they don't want people to forget about her because if she comes back before people forget about her they're going to make a zillion grillion dollars

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
kind of like how they still think jon jones will get his poo poo together

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I would know nothing about the sport without her honestly and now I watch people hurt each other all the time thanks Rhonda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5RdAHYHWKg

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

No one's posted any vids nor mentioned Ronda tapping out of interviews because they asked her about literally her profession besides that one guy so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that was bullshit :(

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I liked Anderson Silva a lot, too bad he was already ancient in fighting years by the time he unlocked his greatness.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

No one's posted any vids nor mentioned Ronda tapping out of interviews because they asked her about literally her profession besides that one guy so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that was bullshit :(

I tried to google it and got some weird interview where a creep tells her that she's his whole life and stuff. She didn't walk out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPooRTDdzMg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

I liked Anderson Silva a lot, too bad he was already ancient in fighting years by the time he unlocked his greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgxcvmkPD-I

• Locked thread