Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Oh son of a bitch I hadn't thought of this till you said this but since the new phone has speakers at the top and the bottom what the gently caress is Saddle Brown leather case going to look like?

EDIT: Lol so I guess the case is just going to block the speaker? They don't show any pictures of the top but it doesn't look like there are any holes there.

There isn't a speaker on the top edge of the phone, it's in the earpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

There isn't a speaker on the top edge of the phone, it's in the earpiece.

Oh weird I must have miss read that. OK then Saddle Brown 4 lyfe.

My Current saddle brown which is a year old is holding up great.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ClassH posted:

Windows doesn't have XCode8 installable so there will have to be an itunes update soon. However right now it's pretty easy to update to the ios10.
Old way that doesn't work
1. Find ISPW for your device.
2. Open itunes shift click and update.

New way
1. Find Configuration Profile file
2. Install profile by emailing it or clicking link
3. Now It will show up as an OTA update

Here is the link for the profile if anyone wants it. If its not cool to post this I can remove it.
https://beta.applebetas.tk/iOS

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Question Mark Mound posted:

Definitely this. I've got a friend who thinks I'm a hardcore Apple fanboy and was mocking the 7 for not being 1440p which is apparently now the industry standard. Unless I look at the screen and can see individual pixels like in the pre-iPhone 4 models, I don't actually see the problem with the 6/6S/7 display.

Your friend is an idiot, sorry.

I hate that if you don't agree with some people on their likes and dislikes they claim you to be a fanboy. There is no middle ground for those people, they are never happy with anything deep down inside because they never get exactly what they want.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Your friend is an idiot, sorry.

I hate that if you don't agree with some people on their likes and dislikes they claim you to be a fanboy. There is no middle ground for those people, they are never happy with anything deep down inside because they never get exactly what they want.
I definitely agree with your statement of my friend. She's the same with graphics cards and loves telling us about AMD benchmarks. I just like nice effects when Snake blows stuff up. :shobon:

Incidentally, she broke her last phone by dropping it in the toilet - seemed like a good chance to tell her of the 7's improved water resistance.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
This iPhone release is kind of boring, but I'd rather go for a boring iPhone than an Android device that'll get updates for maybe all of six months, if that, before getting dropped by the manufacturer like a hot potato.

That said, apparently the next major iPhone version is going to be the one with the exciting changes. Rumors say stuff like an edge-to-edge screen, wireless charging, and other such stuff borrowed from Androidland. I personally suspect the removal of the headphone jack has something to do with the leadup to those features.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The next iPhone is always going to be the greatest iPhone.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

MarcusSA posted:

And the most boring :rolleyes: I have no idea what people who claim that are looking for. I'm constantly impressed by how much they push the platform forward each year. 3D Touch is great (I would hate to use the iOS 10 UI without it)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The articles will already be there because online "reporting" is generally done by a worthless bunch of neckbeards who are angry at, literally, EVERYTHING that happens.

There's another wrinkle to this in that it's not just neckbeards who get their dicks hard writing about Apple doom and gloom, but the publishers behind these stories getting their dicks extra hard over how much traffic these stories generate. It seems there's few topics on the internet that get shared and actually clicked more than anything that follows the line of "Super [popular/hot/successful] [person/company/whatever] actually is a total gently caress up for these ten obvious epic fails!" Whether it's celebrity mug shots, iPhones bending, headphone jacks, or whatever else.

I think a good reality check on this is to talk to people who don't follow the things cool to hate on Reddit and ask what they think of the new iPhone. In my experience, normal people are typically always excited about the new thing, regardless of the incredible flaw that the internet is obsessed with. Moms who heard they can take better photos of their kids, and other mass-market audiences, are the bread and butter of Apple's market. I think it's really hard for tech-heavy people to mentally reconcile that Apple doesn't need them or care about them anymore, when they might take personal ownership of Apple's current success because they ran a Macintosh club in college in the pre-OS X days. I've seen people on the MacRumors forums angry that the iPhone launch day line now includes so many people who are just in line because it's the new thing, like waiting in line for a new gadget is some nerds only treehouse club.

Your typical iPhone owner doesn't give a poo poo that they can't hook up their $400 headphones they got a sick deal on over at Massdrop while charging at the same time. I wish I could figure out why this is so hard for people to come to grips with.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well this won't help.

With iPhone 7, Apple breaks tradition, won’t say how many sold at launch

Apple's official reason: We know we'll sell out so it isn't a good metric.

Everyone else with a blog: Because you expect to sell less than last year's launch.

The truth? Probably in the middle. Possibly both.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They are taking a cue from Microsoft with the xbone sales.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
At some point, and we're likely already there, smartphone sales are going to hit a point like iPad sales where everyone who wants one already has one that's working fine for them that they don't need to urgently replace. It seems real weird to parse Apple hitting that point, where they're commanding an ecosystem filled with over one billion devices, as "Apple is doomed," but, ya'know... It's the internet and everyone loves their asinine anti-Apple hot takes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It would've helped if Apple wasn't so glib about their sales figures (and other data points) in the past.

Almost every media event has some slide that demonstrates how far ahead Apple is of everyone else. To be fair: most of the time, these facts are completely true. However, there's usually a piece of context that is left out that would make their claim less grand.

So the schadenfreude factor in seeing Apple contradicting itself further promotes the click-baity articles.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, Apple has enough cash to last them decades. Their biggest problem is that they are basically a one product company now since the iphone is responsible for so much of their revenue.

Probably wont hurt though getting a licensing fee from every pair of lightning headphones and poo poo are sold

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

io_burn posted:

Your typical iPhone owner doesn't give a poo poo that they can't hook up their $400 headphones they got a sick deal on over at Massdrop while charging at the same time. I wish I could figure out why this is so hard for people to come to grips with.
My God the charge-while-listening is the biggest complaint on every comment section since the speculation started. I've had an iPhone since the 3GS and I have no idea when (or if) I've ever listened to music while charging and pretty sure it's common for a lot of others as well.

If these armchair audiophiles who think their precious ears will get cancer unless they use their fancy headphone setup and listen to FLAC, they can buy those mobile lightning port DAC/amps that are already out instead of plugging directly into the phone. Or buy one of those retarded $2000 "high-end" MP3 players.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
No headphone jack is good. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is an idiot.

Airpods are definitely dumb though.

Also probably my favorite part of the entire thing is how the DoF mode for the 7+ isn't ready for launch and has to be patched in later, lmao.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Acquilae posted:

My God the charge-while-listening is the biggest complaint on every comment section since the speculation started. I've had an iPhone since the 3GS and I have no idea when (or if) I've ever listened to music while charging and pretty sure it's common for a lot of others as well.

If these armchair audiophiles who think their precious ears will get cancer unless they use their fancy headphone setup and listen to FLAC, they can buy those mobile lightning port DAC/amps that are already out instead of plugging directly into the phone. Or buy one of those retarded $2000 "high-end" MP3 players.

Here's something to consider about comments- In the last 30 days my site (TouchArcade.com) has gotten 4.1m visitors and 2,873 comments. Even assuming every single comment was from a unique person, which they're not (idk how to pull the number of unique commenters with our analytics), 0.07% of the people who visited left a comment. Hilariously enough, NPR, who recently axed comments saw similar participation percentages. I'm not saying the whole charging while listening thing isn't a potential issue for some, but it's not a great conclusion to ever assume people being angry in comments represent the views of any kind of significant portion of an audience.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

io_burn posted:

Here's something to consider about comments- In the last 30 days my site (TouchArcade.com) has gotten 4.1m visitors and 2,873 comments. Even assuming every single comment was from a unique person, which they're not (idk how to pull the number of unique commenters with our analytics), 0.07% of the people who visited left a comment. Hilariously enough, NPR, who recently axed comments saw similar participation percentages. I'm not saying the whole charging while listening thing isn't a potential issue for some, but it's not a great conclusion to ever assume people being angry in comments represent the views of any kind of significant portion of an audience.

The internet is just a big echo chamber for morons to make big deals about stuff that isn't a big deal.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I love how the Apple Twitter account updated in preparation for the event and, after they blew their load early, still have yet to actually post a tweet.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Considering the number of people I see using the terrible leaky headphones that came with their iPhone I'm not sure the removal of the jack will be a big deal - when these people get a 7 they'll just switch to lightning headphones and continue as normal. Most people I know don't seem to really care too much about headphones and just use what came in the box. Those that care seem to use Beats or some form of wireless over-ear headphone. I wonder what proportion of users have high-end 3.5mm headphones that would be affected by the removal of the jack.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bill Barber posted:

No headphone jack is good. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is an idiot.
dude you don't have to bend THAT far to take it in the rear end from your phone manufacturer.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Lady Gaza posted:

I wonder what proportion of users have high-end 3.5mm headphones that would be affected by the removal of the jack.

Obviously very low. A greater proportion do use the charger and earpods simultaneously, but that's still a small percentage. And a Y-adapter will suffice for that I think?

Gonna be hard for me to decide between the Plantronics whatever and the bullshit $160 airpods.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Lady Gaza posted:

Considering the number of people I see using the terrible leaky headphones that came with their iPhone I'm not sure the removal of the jack will be a big deal - when these people get a 7 they'll just switch to lightning headphones and continue as normal. Most people I know don't seem to really care too much about headphones and just use what came in the box. Those that care seem to use Beats or some form of wireless over-ear headphone. I wonder what proportion of users have high-end 3.5mm headphones that would be affected by the removal of the jack.

All of this, and obviously Apple knows it. Internet power users (or is it ~*special snowflakes*~?) make up such a small part of their market that they don't care if a negligible fraction of their customers (read: revenue-sources) have to buy a new dongle.

Yes, sorry, the big, cold-hearted corporation doesn't care about you.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Dumb ios10 question - Is there a way to change the thumbnail picture on one of the face-recognition albums?

I've been poking around and 3d touching things and googling it relentlessly, and I can't figure out a way to do it. Am I overlooking something incredibly obvious and simple because I'm an idiot, or is it just not possible?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Michael Scott posted:

Obviously very low. A greater proportion do use the charger and earpods simultaneously, but that's still a small percentage. And a Y-adapter will suffice for that I think?

Gonna be hard for me to decide between the Plantronics whatever and the bullshit $160 airpods.

Tons of options out there that have "good enough sound" (probably well above the Plantronics).

JLabs Epic 2 is $100 and has good reviews, waterproof, etc.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 8, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Michael Scott posted:

Covered already but no, Lightning is a chain protocol and every device in the line except the one at the end needs a controller chip and both male and female cabling.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Welp. http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/belkin-lightning-audio-adapter-iphone-7/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Haha so you have to plug a dongle into a dongle

gg no re Apple

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Pivo posted:

Haha so you have to plug a dongle into a dongle

gg no re Apple

Or just wait for the inevitable announcement tomorrow that some other accessory company is making an identical product but has a 3.5mm jack instead of an extra lightning port.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

JLabs Epic 2 is $100 and has good reviews, waterproof, etc.

This is the one to go with if you have to buy wireless headphones right now.

The key thing is the 12-hour battery life. The hardware is really smart about automatically sleeping/waking up based on activity, so it feels like it lasts even longer than that most of the time. It makes them perfect for 'leave in a jacket pocket and charge once every couple of days' use.

If I didn't already have an Epic2 I'd be tempted to wait for the AirPods, though, because the 24 hour case thing is even better for 'leave it in a pocket and don't have to think about it for a while' treatment.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

io_burn posted:

Or just wait for the inevitable announcement tomorrow that some other accessory company is making an identical product but has a 3.5mm jack instead of an extra lightning port.

I'm glad the free market is already giving us $40 solutions to problems Apple intentionally created for us. God bless Apple, God bless America.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm glad the free market is already giving us $40 solutions to problems Apple intentionally created for us. God bless Apple, God bless America.

I'm glad that you're glad.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

io_burn posted:

This is a good thing to realize because I see people complain about so many things like this on the Internet and I just can't relate to the outrage someone can have over something like still being able to plug headphones into their phone.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

SimpleCoax posted:

This is a good thing to realize because I see people complain about so many things like this on the Internet and I just can't relate to the outrage someone can have over something like still being able to plug headphones into their phone.

It's probably a pretty normal thing to not be able to relate to someone's complete and total meltdown over the lack of a headphone jack on a phone they don't have to buy suddenly becoming the most important thing in their life.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SimpleCoax posted:

Especially for something they haven't spent any money on.

It's like someone complaining that fire will burn them. I mean, its simple: don't touch it. But it's there so by gawd they are going to touch it because its there and they have. to. touch. it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I like how it's blatantly an Apple adaptor that has been given to a 3rd party to release so no-one can print the "Apple release $40 add on to restore previous functionality".

ggwp

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

io_burn posted:

At some point, and we're likely already there, smartphone sales are going to hit a point like iPad sales where everyone who wants one already has one that's working fine for them that they don't need to urgently replace. It seems real weird to parse Apple hitting that point, where they're commanding an ecosystem filled with over one billion devices, as "Apple is doomed," but, ya'know... It's the internet and everyone loves their asinine anti-Apple hot takes.

You have to realize that consumer products spaces are filled with analysts trying to make it big by predicting the right change at the right time. All of those articles usually come from an analyst somewhere that went "Oh, yeah. By July Apple will be bankrupt and Tim will be eating over a hobo fire because of the missing audio jack." If he's right, he gets to move to another company for seven figures or charge a shitload more for the particular fund he manages. The rest of the articles are "Me too!" pieces that are journalists jockeying for position.

This is also why you see retarded articles about "X Killer"s. "Is Super Mario Run a Halo killer? Bob Dopington from JP Morgan Chase says, in his expert financial market analysts opinion, that it will feast on Halo's corpse like stench clings to a dead yak."

Weedle posted:

e: what this guy said ^^^

It seems like a lot of people have come to expect their socks blown off every two years by iPhone innovation, but that's unsustainable. The iPhone is already a near-perfect device and eventually people are just going to have to accept that there isn't a whole lot else to be improved about it barring a major technological breakthrough like a battery that lasts a week or something.

I want my socks blown off by something. First Intel and now Apple. No, don't tell me about bullshit like "transistors" or "car-sized batteries", that's all just to confuse idiots who don't know that that's a pack of lies. I just want Apple to give me a phone that I can adhere to my skin like a piece of tape that not only softens my skin, but has perfect call and data reception everywhere and runs for years without a recharge. :colbert:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

io_burn posted:

It's probably a pretty normal thing to not be able to relate to someone's complete and total meltdown over the lack of a headphone jack on a phone they don't have to buy suddenly becoming the most important thing in their life.

I don't think it's really fair to paint everyone who's annoyed by this change as having some kind of childish meltdown. I'm a frequent user of the 3.5mm jack, I use the same pair of headphones every day with my phone and my laptop (using a 3.5mm extender no less) so it's not just a case of attaching the dongle once and leaving it there. Of course I don't have to buy this phone, and I'm not going to, but I'm going to need a new phone eventually. Having to choose between sticking with an ecosystem that I'm mostly pretty happy with and that I have a lot invested in vs. being able to seamlessly use my phone for one of its primary uses is annoying. It's even more annoying because I think this move was motivated by the opportunity to sell more Beats headphones, AirPods, and MFi licenses.

I'm not melting down, but this is a frustrating change that seems to benefit Apple and no one else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've actually gone out and bought those little nubs you stick in your heaphone jack so that dust and lint doesn't get in there since I never use headphones. I've had issues with Android phones in the past acting oddly because the debris in there was tricking out the sensors. I'm actually looking forward to not having a headphone jack, nice and clean.

That being said, I don't think my preferences should make standards for others use cases. That little butt plug looking thing worked just fine to solve my use case and even had a sim ejector tool on the other end to boot!

• Locked thread