Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are we going to see "I hope you get ads!" as an online insult gain popularity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

Do you think it is theft if you go to the bathroom or make a sandwich during a commercial break on TV?

Fairgame please respond to this question, I want to know.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

The BBC has some of the same problems US media does: 'balance' over Truth, self-important and arrogance. They are by no means a standard of excellence when it comes to reporting.

I don't disagree with that but the BBC is still much better than most other UK-based media though. God the media in the UK is such a shitshow.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

The pressure of condensed poo poo at Wells Fargo hit critical mass and they were forced temporarily to pull the release valve, fired 5,300 employees for being low-level fuckers.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/

quote:

The phony accounts earned the bank unwarranted fees and allowed Wells Fargo employees to boost their sales figures and make more money.

"Wells Fargo employees secretly opened unauthorized accounts to hit sales targets and receive bonuses," Richard Cordray, director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, said in a statement.

Wells Fargo confirmed to CNNMoney that it had fired 5,300 employees related to the shady behavior over the last few years. Employees went to far as to create phony PIN numbers and fake email addresses to enroll customers in online banking services, the CFPB said.

The scope of the scandal is shocking. An analysis conducted by a consulting firm hired by Wells Fargo concluded that bank employees opened up over 1.5 million deposit accounts that may not have been authorized, according to the CFPB.

The way it worked was that employees moved funds from customers' existing accounts into newly-created accounts without their knowledge or consent, regulators say. The CFPB described this practice as "widespread" and led to customers being charged for insufficient funds or overdraft fees -- because the money was not in their original accounts.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

theflyingorc posted:

...dude, journalism has always been for-pay.

Like, it's never going to be for free, because that would require government funding, and government holding the purse strings on journalism is never a good thing.
The BBC is not perfect but it's better than any of the cable news channels in the stated

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Most of them for me seem to be from goons. Also some Donald Trump and Johnson ads. :laffo:

But always simple banner ads at the bottom and top.

That's the point though. Small personal ads that are (I believe) manually approved. They are also outrageously expensive compared to advertising through Google.

http://adage.com/article/digital/google-q4-2015-earnings/302462/

Cost per click is way down. Revenue is up, but only because they keep expanding. Eventually there won't be any more sites and services to add Google ads to, and then it's a race to the bottom. They've staved this off for a while by ad targeting and mining every bit of personal data ever but even that train is going to derail eventually.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Andrast posted:

There are a ton examples of examples of good public broadcasting services, I just used BBC because it's well known. Acting like the only alternative to American style media is RT is idiotic.

Like PBS?

Andrast posted:

I don't disagree with that but the BBC is still much better than most other UK-based media though. God the media in the UK is such a shitshow.

I would say the same about PBS, NPR, ProPublica and other non-profit news orgs in the US.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

straight up brolic posted:

The BBC is not perfect but it's better than any of the cable news channels in the stated

Didn't they cover up a huge pedophile ring a few years ago

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/773990062237286400

Did the AP just catch up on this thread or something?

quote:

The tweet omitted the important distinction between discretionary meetings and official meetings. It read:

BREAKING: AP analysis: More than half those who met Clinton as Cabinet secretary gave money to Clinton Foundation.

It now will be replaced by a tweet that says:

AP review: Many of the discretionary meetings Clinton had at State were with people who gave to Clinton Foundation. http://apne.ws/2csSI4s

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack posted:

Fairgame please respond to this question, I want to know.

Nah, the commercial still airs and whatever television station airs it still gets to count an impression against the advertiser.

In the case of ad block, the ad doesn't serve and the publisher gets nothing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BiohazrD posted:

That's the point though. Small personal ads that are (I believe) manually approved. They are also outrageously expensive compared to advertising through Google.

http://adage.com/article/digital/google-q4-2015-earnings/302462/

Cost per click is way down. Revenue is up, but only because they keep expanding. Eventually there won't be any more sites and services to add Google ads to, and then it's a race to the bottom. They've staved this off for a while by ad targeting and mining every bit of personal data ever but even that train is going to derail eventually.

Then it sounds like it's a failed model that should go away.

We can't put the genie back in the bottle on post-scarcity information. We should embrace it as a net positive for our society and work to improve on it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Government license is actually the most popular tv news financial formula in most of Europe

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FairGame posted:

Nah, the commercial still airs and whatever television station airs it still gets to count an impression against the advertiser.

That is not how television advertising works.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

how long does it take to figure out you made a dumb tweet

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

We can't put the genie back in the bottle on post-scarcity information. We should embrace it as a net positive for our society and work to improve on it.

You know what makes advertising revenue go up? When people have money to spend on luxuries.

FairGame posted:

Nobody is getting paid for impressions. Like ever.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

paranoid randroid posted:

About the same amount of time everyone forgets that you made it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Like PBS?

I would say the same about PBS, NPR, ProPublica and other non-profit news orgs in the US.

Why are you acting like state funded media is some affront to journalism when I literally never said that it's the only option, just that it can provide good journalism?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

SA manages to have non-intrusive ads I always see. I even read and click some of them. Because they aren't super loving annoying.

Lightning Knight posted:

Most of them for me seem to be from goons. Also some Donald Trump and Johnson ads. :laffo:

But always simple banner ads at the bottom and top.

Case in point there's a banner add for a CYOA book by a goon that I clicked a minute or two ago because it looked interesting. How can I resist a $13 book called STAR BASTARDS that's an old school CYOA RPG, I loved the Lone Wolf books when I was a kid.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BiohazrD posted:

You know what makes advertising revenue go up? When people have money to spend on luxuries.

That's fair. I mean, like I said, I'm not opposed to ads when they're not incredibly annoying. No pop ups, no videos, no sound, and keep them out of the body of the text in trying to read.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
following exhaustive review, the AP has decided to change its pants after concluding that the bad smell was potentially due to having crapped them at some point in the past couple of weeks

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Wow, with quality control like that who wouldn't want to subscribe for a year and uninstall their adblocker?

See also The New York Times.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

following exhaustive review, the AP has decided to change its pants after concluding that the bad smell was potentially due to having crapped them at some point in the past couple of weeks

they flew too close to the wingnut sun and got burned

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

BiohazrD posted:

That's all people get paid for. Click rate on ads is hilariously low since virtually no one clicks on them--at least not intentionally.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lightning Knight posted:

But if nobody pays it will just disappear, journalism just doesn't appear out of thin air it requires feet on the ground actually doing things and that requires money, "I don't like how you charge for this so I'm going to do everything I can to get around it because I still want it" is not a valid argument. What method of payment would you even consider?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FairGame posted:

That's all people get paid for. Click rate on ads is hilariously low since virtually no one clicks on them--at least not intentionally.

Which is their own fault. If they made better ads they would get more clicks. Adblock has a function to show non-intrusive ads. If they made good, non-intrusive ads, they'd get clicks.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Also,

https://twitter.com/AP/status/773990680054099968

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

Wow, with quality control like that who wouldn't want to subscribe for a year and uninstall their adblocker?

See also The New York Times.

Hey now, NYT sometimes fixes their stories the next morning.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Which is their own fault. If they made better ads they would get more clicks. Adblock has a function to show non-intrusive ads. If they made good, non-intrusive ads, they'd get clicks.

They probably wouldn't.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dexo posted:

Haha and it's still lovely and deceptive, just in the vague way now.

quote:

It now will be replaced by a tweet that says:

AP review: Many of the discretionary meetings Clinton had at State were with people who gave to Clinton Foundation. http://apne.ws/2csSI4s

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

socialsecurity posted:

But if nobody pays it will just disappear, journalism just doesn't appear out of thin air it requires feet on the ground actually doing things and that requires money, "I don't like how you charge for this so I'm going to do everything I can to get around it because I still want it" is not a valid argument. What method of payment would you even consider?

I'm not opposed to government funded journalism, and I'm not opposed to well-implemented ad schemes. They have to actually come with good journalism though. If ads incentivize bad journalism, it's s bad payment model for the industry.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Haha and it's still lovely and deceptive, just in the vague way now.

"Many" is a very elastic word, isn't it?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

FairGame posted:

My statement was hyperbole, the revenue from impressions is minuscule. We're talking 2-3 bucks per 1000 hits.

The reason for this is because nobody clicks ads. If nobody clicks your ad, they don't buy your product. If they don't buy your product why are you spending money on ads? You keep people buying your advertising service (even though nobody clicks) is by making it dirt cheap.

This is exactly why you start to see pages with 10, 15, 20 ads. Without them the revenue from impressions isn't enough.

The internet ad bubble is bursting and we are watching it in real time.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree with your sentiment, but you're not going to get enough of a return for your money on them on clicks an overwhelming majority of the time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Andrast posted:

Why are you acting like state funded media is some affront to journalism when I literally never said that it's the only option, just that it can provide good journalism?

Because we already have public journalism and I'm a little suspect that the Bush Adminstration's mouthpiece would have been better about WMDs than CNN.

But then again, I'm glad I don't need government approval to own a TV either.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FairGame posted:

Anyway, ad block is still theft. We're not going to convince one another otherwise.

They can just block users that use adblockers simply enough it would seem.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

OddObserver posted:

"Many" is a very elastic word, isn't it?

Many believe that the AP is trashing its reputation in a desperate effort to get more clicks from the Drudge/Breitbart crowd.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Because we already have public journalism and I'm a little suspect that the Bush Adminstration's mouthpiece would have been better about WMDs than CNN.

But then again, I'm glad I don't need government approval to own a TV either.

You are being really weird about a form of media that's present pretty much every European country.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

BiohazrD posted:

My statement was hyperbole, the revenue from impressions is minuscule. We're talking 2-3 bucks per 1000 hits.

The reason for this is because nobody clicks ads. If nobody clicks your ad, they don't buy your product. If they don't buy your product why are you spending money on ads? You keep people buying your advertising service (even though nobody clicks) is by making it dirt cheap.

This is exactly why you start to see pages with 10, 15, 20 ads. Without them the revenue from impressions isn't enough.

The internet ad bubble is bursting and we are watching it in real time.

You're talking about programmatic ads. The CPM for direct-sold ads (the poo poo you'd see on NYT, WSJ, etc., is easily as high as $40. Probably higher right now because advertisers are weird as hell and blow all their budget in Q4 even though they're not advertising consumer goods. Which is staggering and stupid.

Most of the sites we're talking about using ad-block on in this discussion are big sites that have a dedicated digital ad sales staff. Not places that are just set-and-forget with google adwords.

You're spot on if you're talking about google adwords poo poo, though.

Homeless Friend posted:

Some sites are doing this, yeah. I expect more to follow suit.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

kaleedity posted:

I agree with your sentiment, but you're not going to get enough of a return for your money on them on clicks an overwhelming majority of the time.

Then it would seem the system isn't working out for them.

I don't have an answer for how journalism should make money. But trying to tack technological development that make our lives better down so corporations can make more money is the answer, I'd rather they went out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

There isn't some magical way to tell if a user is blocking ads. It's done on your web browser, and will only work as long as the web browser allows it. That'll never go away on Chrome because it is a web browser made by an advertising company, but you can bet on it eventually happening in Firefox/Safari/IE

• Locked thread