Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommieGIR posted:

And for that pleasure, Florida will be the first to suffer the wrath of Climate Change.

Everywhere that's blue and yellow/pale yellow. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Chicago has food.
We have amazing loving food, lots of excuses for being drunk in public, and some great breweries, but other than that, it's kind of a meh city with lovely weather. I'm from Cicero, so maybe I'm biased towards the suburbs that just kind of melt into the edges of Chicago Proper, but the outer burbs are really the worst, that whole region of affluent trash by 355 is unbearable. I lived in Indianhead Park for 2 years, and was so happy to head back to my city and experience culture again. Plus having all of those L stops close by is really nice

SouthsideSaint posted:

Hey now. Some of the dunes are still nice and southern Indiana has a few nice quiet towns.

In Northeastern Indiana, I stopped at a gas station run by a man who I swear came straight from the Dust Bowl. Straw hat, overalls, scraggly white beard, very few teeth, constantly chewing tobacco, covered in dirt even though he was indoors, and talking in an accent I could barely understand. He was super nice and nothing was expensive, it just made me uneasy being handed change by what had to have been some sort of ghost

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Indiana has the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is a great place to watch fast things.

Just wish MotoGP still stopped there.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

xzzy posted:

Indiana has the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is a great place to watch fast things.

Really the only redeeming part of Indiana.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So everyone remember that 1HZ diesel in my mates landcruiser that cracked a piston and went all chugaluggy?

Well... It blew up again! (Something something too much boost something something) and this time it did it properly! This time it let go in a spectacular run away and the tacho reads to 6000rpm and it was still accelerating past that.

Pulled the head off this evening for shits and giggles...

Farewell #6! You died on the fury road shiny and chrome!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's an impressive failure. Looks like it blowtorched that channel through the piston.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a fan of the penis shaped indentation in the piston.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Collateral Damage posted:

That's an impressive failure. Looks like it blowtorched that channel through the piston.

and about 3mm into the wall of the bore!

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 8, 2016

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

tater_salad posted:

Came here to say this. Should we get married now? Oh wait it's not legal where I live

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Pretty standard for IDI diesels.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

slothrop posted:

Came here to say this. Should we get married now? Oh wait it's not legal where I live

I'm in a legal state so you want to move?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

tater_salad posted:

I'm in a legal state so you want to move?

I'd say he is the one that has to move considering the circumstances.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Memento posted:

Everywhere that's blue and yellow/pale yellow. Enjoy!

That's one way to solve the Texas drought.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ferremit posted:

So everyone remember that 1HZ diesel in my mates landcruiser that cracked a piston and went all chugaluggy?

Well... It blew up again! (Something something too much boost something something) and this time it did it properly! This time it let go in a spectacular run away and the tacho reads to 6000rpm and it was still accelerating past that.

:stonkhat:

What caused the runaway? All of the boosts get past the seals in the turbo?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing the oil was getting through the hole in the piston.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing the oil was getting through the hole in the piston.

Probably the opposite. the crankcase being pressurized by the turbo through the hole in the piston forcing oil through the crankcase breather into the intake.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Gotta keep in mind that this is a 22:1 CR indirect injection diesel- minimum compression pressure is 450psi... That much pressure going into the crank case is going to do some funky things to oil flow!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It won't be 450psi after expanding past the piston rings, but it could definitely push oil from the breather into the intake.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

True. Im pretty sure the best description of what happened immediately after that crack formed in the piston was "Gratuitous Violence"

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

Don't worry, you won't be alive to see it actually disappear. It would take 40 meters of sea level rise to fully submerge Florida, and estimates put us at something like 60 centimeters by 2100.

A fun toy, allowing you destroy Florida as much as you want:

http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/florida.shtml

If I'm reading this right, Death Valley will suddenly fill with seawater any second now.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, that's the problem with assuming sea level rise will affect everywhere equally. There are proper studies if you're the sort of person who has to care about this stuff for a living, but as long as you stick to the coasts (and ignore anomalies like the Netherlands) it's reasonably accurate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are also places where it’s kind of accurate, in that water can travel up river valleys to flood low‐lying areas well inland, but as a practical matter, the cost/benefit of putting barriers at a few openings is immense, so they’re not in nearly as much trouble as coastal areas, where 1 km of sea wall only saves 1 km of waterfront property.

For example, we’re probably not going to let the Rio Grande flood half of Texas.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

There are also places where it’s kind of accurate, in that water can travel up river valleys to flood low‐lying areas well inland, but as a practical matter, the cost/benefit of putting barriers at a few openings is immense, so they’re not in nearly as much trouble as coastal areas, where 1 km of sea wall only saves 1 km of waterfront property.

For example, we’re probably not going to let the Rio Grande flood half of Texas.

I don't think the Rio Grande is the problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

It is according to the map at the top of this page, unless its scale is retarded.

Replace “half of Texas” with “California’s Central Valley” and “Rio Grande” with “the San Francisco Bay”. I know that example works.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That area of southern/central Texas is not at sea level.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty ok with this.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad it doesn't take DFW with it, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Assuming everyone migrates to the nearest big city, Dallas will probably draw in so much stupid that it reaches critical mass and turns into what we saw in Idiocracy.

Austin will suffer for it too.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Godholio posted:

I'm pretty ok with this.

Considering the amount of people here with no flood insurance currently, I'm pretty saddened by that thought.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Considering the amount of people here with no flood insurance currently, I'm pretty saddened by that thought.

I wonder if flood insurance underwriters have had the foresight to write in exclusion clauses for climate change induced sea level rise. I'm guessing if your house gets permanently flooded by rising seas your flood insurance carrier is going to weasel out of paying a claim somehow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

I wonder if flood insurance underwriters have had the foresight to write in exclusion clauses for climate change induced sea level rise. I'm guessing if your house gets permanently flooded by rising seas your flood insurance carrier is going to weasel out of paying a claim somehow.

I guess it comes down to settling whether it's an act of god or man's fault.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Geoj posted:

It's all underwritten by the federal government, so I bet not.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I suspect so many states are reticent to acknowledge climate change as by doing so, they will drastically alter their most wealthy tax base with waterfront property. If they show they believe many million dollar properties are eventually going to be worthless along with the land they sit on, they will be forced to find alternate revenue. No one wants to eat that poo poo sandwich yet. Rich folks can also afford to sue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My Apartment in Berkeley is safe up to +40 meters :smug: The water would be lapping at the building next door that's just downhill from me...:ohdear:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My Apartment in Berkeley is safe up to +40 meters :smug: The water would be lapping at the building next door that's just downhill from me...:ohdear:

Of course in Oakland all the rich folks up in the hills will be fine, it's just the lovely parts that will be washed away. Climate change is racist.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

Assuming everyone migrates to the nearest big city, Dallas will probably draw in so much stupid that it reaches critical mass and turns into what we saw in Idiocracy.

We have enough stupid here already.

Serious talk though, the Dallas Morning News ran an article about the population growth yesterday or the day before. We're expected to add around 3M people to the metroplex over the next decade. That's not counting effects of, say, Houston, suddenly becoming Atlantis.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

some texas redneck posted:

We have enough stupid here already.

Serious talk though, the Dallas Morning News ran an article about the population growth yesterday or the day before. We're expected to add around 3M people to the metroplex over the next decade. That's not counting effects of, say, Houston, suddenly becoming Atlantis.

Lol at 60+ meters NYC will be long gone so who gives a poo poo.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Probably more of a horrible owner failure, but it works

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He probabably fixed it by cutting the front coils.

SLAMMED, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

It is according to the map at the top of this page, unless its scale is retarded.

Replace “half of Texas” with “California’s Central Valley” and “Rio Grande” with “the San Francisco Bay”. I know that example works.

The map I posted shows where the geology allows for the infiltration of seawater from increased storm surge and rising sea levels, due to porous sandstone and limestone close to the surface. The sandstone (yellow) will only allow infiltration but the limestone (blue) will experience infiltration as well as dissolution, meaning sinkholes will open as well as the water table rising.