Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego flyer for September says 2 sets are coming for sale on Sep 15th for VIPs - Caterham and Death Star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't notice bent baseplates but I did notice that the baseplates seemed the most "off", other than the minifigs; it seems like the one thing (so far) that just immediately felt/looked like a (still pretty good) knockoff and not real LEGO.

I have an unopened full size green baseplate that I picked up at the LEGO Store a couple months ago that I'm going to try using instead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I the only one that thinks it's kind of weird they brought back the Death Star so quick after it seemed like they were having a hard time getting rid of it, then raised the price on top of that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

NESguerilla posted:

Am I the only one that thinks it's kind of weird they brought back the Death Star so quick after it seemed like they were having a hard time getting rid of it, then raised the price on top of that?

No, it's a very weird move. The fact that they've really only updated the minifigs is very odd. I'd have redone it from the ground up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably some licensing shenanigans

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lawen posted:

I didn't notice bent baseplates but I did notice that the baseplates seemed the most "off", other than the minifigs; it seems like the one thing (so far) that just immediately felt/looked like a (still pretty good) knockoff and not real LEGO.

I have an unopened full size green baseplate that I picked up at the LEGO Store a couple months ago that I'm going to try using instead.

I was thinking of grabbing one if things don't fit properly.

The Market Street plates were okay, though. The are also the correct green color. Green grocer plates kinda look pukey.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

No, it's a very weird move. The fact that they've really only updated the minifigs is very odd. I'd have redone it from the ground up.

Maybe they are literally old sets that have been repackaged with new minifigs.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Finally got the SSD.

Arrived as a 10lb taped football, marked value 15.00 "Sample Blocks"

Inside was bubble wrapped, with 2 very thin bags holding everything

Total of 52 bags, some sealed, some ziploc style

Sticker sheet was just stuck in a ziploc with a couple sprues with guns still on them

Manual was folded in half, but is spiral bound

Print quality looks about as clear as Lego, with the black and dark greys being very similar

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jeff8472 posted:

Arrived as a 10lb taped football, marked value 15.00 "Sample Blocks"

Everything from China is packed that way; I'd like to think it's so that if the boat bringing it here capsizes, it'll float.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
One really wonders why they went with what could only be pronounced as Star Weiners instead of literally anything else.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Slugworth posted:

One really wonders why they went with what could only be pronounced as Star Weiners instead of literally anything else.

Star Weiners go great with Spaceballs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plus idioms are the hardest part to learn when picking up a foreign language.

Is why most any corporation when translating press releases or the like have a native speaker on contract to proofread everything.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
I just finished my Leppin Green Grocer. I was missing a gray 1 with a hole and stud on either side to stick a pole through to hold up the fire escape on the back. And then a flat smooth 2x1 white piece for the windows out front.

Then one of the minifigs I got two left legs...

Baseplate is definitely almost twice as thick as official, and made it hard to get them together, but yeah I'll just take the pins out for now.

Colors in the book varied page by page, but this one really confused me late in the build. Are they green, brown?

The flower are loose on the green stems, they fall off really easy.

Overall I like it. For $60 and like a week delivery It was awesome and fun. I want to order so many more to fill in my collection.

Helper

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

SSD update: Stopped at building internal frame. Lepin only gave me the top sections of all the hinges. 22 blue and 6 black. Guess i will have to bricklink some replacements

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty funny how the definition of "big set" has changed in my lifetime. I decided to dig my parts collection to see how complete my Beta I Command Base (6970) and this is what I ended up with. It's over 90% complete.. missing parts are a few wings, one plate and a few greebles. Haven't pulled the base plates out of the closet so they aren't here yet.

Back in the 80's this was as big as they got. Galaxy Explorer had a bigger part count (322 to the base's 247) but having a moon base as a kid was a big deal.

Today 247 pieces ain't jack poo poo.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I would say volume of finished model is a better indicator than piece count. Nowadays there are so many different 1x1 pieces and they are used very liberally. It is easy to make a 1000 piece count model when you have 300 cheeze slopes or other small bits.

All these tiny bits do add a lot of detail and life to the models though. Lego looks far more interesting now than just 10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought an official Lego 32x32 baseplate for the Lepin Green Grocer. Made all the difference in the world.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

jeff8472 posted:

SSD update: Stopped at building internal frame. Lepin only gave me the top sections of all the hinges. 22 blue and 6 black. Guess i will have to bricklink some replacements

Have you opened all the bags? When I was building the Green Grocer they were in different bags from each other.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

How do people deal with rear end in a top hat cats*? We get frustrated that at the end of the day everything has to go back into tubs or else things get knocked over, chewed, missing.

*Assuming that pictured helper cat is not an rear end in a top hat cat :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't have a cat.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I suppose lego on the table and cats in the tub would solve itself eventually

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My cats completely ignore all lego. If it doesn't smell like food they don't give a poo poo.

Probably depends on the breed, more playful types probably love knocking poo poo off shelves.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Always have a box handy. When faced with a choice between Lego or a box cats will always choose the box.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

Always have a box handy. When faced with a choice between Lego or a box cats will always choose the box.

or even a paper grocery bag

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My cat just loves attention so he'll jump on the table and lie on the pieces. He also picks them up with his mouth.

What I'm saying is don't have Lego around a Siamese.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

jeff8472 posted:

Man I still want an SSD. hinges don't seem like they're that expensive.
Wonder if you just got unlucky with your vendor selection.

Also every report I've read would've packed it in an unmarked box with lose bags and not your bubble wrapped messed.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

It's pretty funny how the definition of "big set" has changed in my lifetime. I decided to dig my parts collection to see how complete my Beta I Command Base (6970) and this is what I ended up with. It's over 90% complete.. missing parts are a few wings, one plate and a few greebles. Haven't pulled the base plates out of the closet so they aren't here yet.

When I picked up all my old Lego from my parents' house recently I had this one blue gun thing that I remember making as a phaser or something to go as some Star Trek redshirt for halloween one year. I knew it was from some space set but didn't know what until I did an image search on that set you mentioned and found this:

Haha, what the hell even is that thing, some space base monster on ice skates?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that's a hilariously ugly set, but I wanted it anyways as a kid.

Looking at it now it's an incredible source of classic space parts. The printed bricks and rocket engines are super desirable.

The window frames too, as they were pretty fragile and can be hard to find in good condition.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

mattfl posted:

Have you opened all the bags? When I was building the Green Grocer they were in different bags from each other.

Yes. Definitely missing those pieces. Hopefully that is all.

w00tazn posted:

Man I still want an SSD. hinges don't seem like they're that expensive.
Wonder if you just got unlucky with your vendor selection.

Also every report I've read would've packed it in an unmarked box with lose bags and not your bubble wrapped messed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1735413

This was the vendor, had a good reputation and was 2nd cheapest for the set. I will keep building the other parts to see if theres stuff missing. Also one of the 7 engine pieces http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30360&idColor=86#T=C&C=86 is cracked almost in half along the inside 2x3 area

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got one order in a box and the other in a plastic wrapped bag thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Yeah that's a hilariously ugly set, but I wanted it anyways as a kid.

Looking at it now it's an incredible source of classic space parts. The printed bricks and rocket engines are super desirable.

The window frames too, as they were pretty fragile and can be hard to find in good condition.

I had this as a kid. I used those snake arm things like a billion times for everything. Probably at least 20% of that set is missing/broken now, sadly. It's in my bucket along with king's castle, old and new Blacktron, Mtron, old space police, and Mtron.

I really need to go through that someday.

I might even still have the instructions, in a box with a pile of transformers data cards and unused FLAG POINTS

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If LEPIN released a space monorail I would buy 4.

No joke :stare:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

djfooboo posted:

If LEPIN released a space monorail I would buy 4.

No joke :stare:

I don't think I'll be buying any LEPIN stuff since the only modular I'm missing is Market Street, and I'm not terribly interested in the big flagship sets (mostly because they're display pieces and I have no space for displaying big sets).
But if I could buy a lot of 100 monorail tracks with LEPIN quality for $25, I'd buy a bunch. Some track pieces are $15+ on BL!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to say that I remembered having a the Lego removal tool as a kid and I'm thrilled to see on Bricklink that I didn't just imagine it. I had the beige prybar and I see they have a newer one with a Technic axle remover as well.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I never got to have one when I was little--but now it ships standard with any sufficiently big set. :D

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Apollodorus posted:

I never got to have one when I was little--but now it ships standard with any sufficiently big set. :D

They didn't exist when I was little.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Davros1 posted:

They didn't exist when I was little.

Brick separators were introduced in 1990, but it was a mail order purchase from Lego.

Now Lego stuffs them in so many sets people incorporate them into builds.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

jeff8472 posted:

I also jumped on the Lepin SSD. Done with the superstructure, most of the "core" and now just working on the final cladding. So far all I'm missing is one blue bottom hinge and one right grey 2x4 wedge. The label sticker was also pretty mangled, but I wasn't planning on using it. All in all, not too shabby for what it cost.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Finished SSD build. Had to cannibalize 3 sets to get some hinges to at least build it.

Missing pieces:
9 dark grey 1x2 grill tiles
8 Black 1x2 grill tiles
Bottoms halves of 6 black hinges
Bottom halves of 22 blue hinges

Might be missing 1 small bag of pieces.
Fair number of leftover pieces. 12 guns on the plastic sprues. Strange having to put hands and arms onto torsos and legs onto hip pieces. Minifigs are ok, but not up to new lego standards

Positives:
Matched the official lego set exactly in building process. I built following the Lego PDF.
Pieces fit well
Great value.

Negatives:
Missing pieces
Stickers were trashed, the plaque sticker also had the STAR WNRS logo which isn't great for display.
Pieces felt slightly lighter than Lego bricks. Were slightly sharper and a few were damaged. Noticeable injection molding marks.
Some big smooth tiles had scratches, couple plates had holes in the bottom that were damaged and had to be pushed or cut to make pieces fit together 100%
Lots of the longer plate pieces, especially 2x12 pieces had a curve to them that made long pieces bow slightly. The more layers that went together seemed to help
Several times I noticed some bits of grease on pieces, although my hands weren't noticeably dirty after building, and there wasn't a plastic off gassing smell you might expect from cheap chinese plastic bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

xzzy posted:

Brick separators were introduced in 1990, but it was a mail order purchase from Lego.

Now Lego stuffs them in so many sets people incorporate them into builds.

I've got plenty of the orange ones that came with sets but found two of these wide green ones in my last Craigslist bulk buy.
http://brickset.com/sets/630-1/Brick-Separator-Green

tomapot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 11, 2016