Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ah, I see. You were pointing out the problem with what you assumed other people misreading the cards would say and we thought you were actually objecting.

So, uh, carry on thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

That's the only problem I could see someone having with that combo. They think that they die at end of turn but they actually get exiled. The combo isn't relying on EOT death though.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out why the cards need to be read for that combo.

Most people would assume that Saheeli's minus reads "make a copy of target creature" instead of "make a copy of target artifact or creature".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The other possible misreading I see is someone thinking that you can't keep using liquimetal coating, but of course you actually get that effect for free when you create the tokens.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's not good but it is far from the worst instant win combo involving rules corner cases that someone made an image of I've ever seen.

It involves just 3 cards, just two of which do nothing outside of the combo, for a total cmc of just 6, in UB, the best colors for hare-brained schemes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Saheeli also actively helps you dig for more combo pieces

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Sigh, even combo in modern is a linear strategy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I thought that when you make a copy of a permanent, the copy doesn't keep characteristics applied to it through higher layering.

Like, if I use rite of replication on an activated Mutavault, I just get a land, not a 2/2 land creature.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlternateNu posted:

I thought that when you make a copy of a permanent, the copy doesn't keep characteristics applied to it through higher layering.

Like, if I use rite of replication on an activated Mutavault, I just get a land, not a 2/2 land creature.

I loving told you people.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

You're misreading it the same way I misread it at first; when Saheeli makes copies, the copies are artifacts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sigh, even combo in modern is a linear strategy.

At least using this combo will open tiit opportunities as you can place each copy closer and closer to the opponent.

The final clone will be in their hand, and under the guise of retrieving your token... you go in for the handshake.

Total dominance.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

in what way is this relevant to signal the rats, or hidetsugus second rite or splendid reclamation

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

At least using this combo will open tiit opportunities as you can place each copy closer and closer to the opponent.

The final clone will be in their hand, and under the guise of retrieving your token... you go in for the handshake.

Total dominance.

one of the easiest ways to win at professional rel is to put extra cards directly into your opponents hand, and then call the judges on them for a deck check and also for cheating

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is a turn 3 win with the godhand I guess. If you use Altar of the Brood there isn't even any way to disrupt it with removal.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

You are not reading the part where her copies are specifically artifacts so it does work.

It dies to literally every creature removal spell, burn spell, and artifact removal every printed, and it's a 3 card combo, but it works.

e:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is a turn 3 win with the godhand I guess. If you use Altar of the Brood there isn't even any way to disrupt it with removal.

It still dies to every piece of artifact removal or player-targeting burn ever printed, but this does make it not die to path to exile at the cost of not killing breach decks

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
who did this

fess up now

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

atrus50 posted:

who did this

fess up now

:laffo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

atrus50 posted:

who did this

fess up now

Sweet.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

atrus50 posted:

who did this

fess up now

Are they still there? I'll swipe them on my way home

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

It still dies to every piece of artifact removal or player-targeting burn ever printed, but this does make it not die to path to exile at the cost of not killing breach decks

Presumably you'd play it in a shell where you can board out the combo when they get a chance to bring in artifact removal and just be a snapcaster bolt deck or whatever.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

I loving told you people.

Sigma-X posted:

You are not reading the part where her copies are specifically artifacts so it does work.

It dies to literally every creature removal spell, burn spell, and artifact removal every printed, and it's a 3 card combo, but it works.

e:

Elyv posted:

You're misreading it the same way I misread it at first; when Saheeli makes copies, the copies are artifacts.

Holy gently caress, you people are easy.

atrus50 posted:

who did this

fess up now

Also, this is awesome.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 8, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I read an HP Lovecraft story for the first time last month and it was so bad I laughed at the Sick Twist, are they all like that?

SoI was cool tho

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I read an HP Lovecraft story for the first time last month and it was so bad I laughed at the Sick Twist, are they all like that?

SoI was cool tho

tbf the stories are like 100 years old now

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dynavolt Tower
Artifact
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, get EE (two energy counters).

T, Pay EEEEE: Dynavolt Tower deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im getting really interested in izzet energy the speed this is goin.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Soul Glo posted:

SoI was cool tho

the dude is ridiculously racist. almost all of his stories are extremely racist. also his prose was loving trash.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Same as magic really.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

black potus posted:

Same as magic really.

i mean tbh the way they solved the cuthulu problem was "ram it with a boat" so it really wasn't all that different.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

rabidsquid posted:

the dude is ridiculously racist. almost all of his stories are extremely racist. also his prose was loving trash.

He's a writer, a person who uses words to describe things, whose main thing is "a horror that cannot even be described." Dude made a nice little racket for himself.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Soul Glo posted:

SoI was cool tho

HP Lovecraft, along with his compatriot Robert E Howard, get a lot of undeserved credit for doing poo poo that their contemporaries were already doing, but better (see: Arthur Machen, for one).

I have no idea why two of the worst people ever get all this renown, but yeah most of his stuff is formulaic and terribly racist.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Can anyone explain this to me?

I was about to drop the hammer and enter the 5 match comp sealed league on MTGO and I followed this link

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2016-09-08

How are these decks comp sealed legal, some of them have like 15 rares in there, I just don't get it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AceClown posted:

I was about to drop the hammer and enter the 5 match comp sealed league on MTGO and I followed this link

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2016-09-08

How are these decks comp sealed legal, some of them have like 15 rares in there, I just don't get it.

Those aren't sealed league decks, those are Standard league decks.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

AceClown posted:

Are you making some kind of weird joke or are you actually illterate?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Haha sorry, that page links from the "view undefeated decks" link on MTGO when you're about to join a sealed league, apologies.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Holy gently caress, you people are easy.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sigma-X posted:

e:

The deck would probably be running 4x Pact of Negation or some silliness like that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dehtraen posted:

The deck would probably be running 4x Pact of Negation or some silliness like that.

The question is whether the deck would play Artificer's Intuition or Reshape. :v:

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

13 pennies is what got me

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just wanted everyone to know that I just lost a game because someone Deflecting Palmed my Deflecting Palm, which I played in response to his other Deflecting Palm, which he played in response to my first Deflecting Palm.

I don't know the exact ruleness of which Deflecting Palm to target, but whatever it was, my opponent got it right.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Human Crouton posted:

I just wanted everyone to know that I just lost a game because someone Deflecting Palmed my Deflecting Palm, which I played in response to his other Deflecting Palm, which he played in response to my first Deflecting Palm.

I don't know the exact ruleness of which Deflecting Palm to target, but whatever it was, my opponent got it right.

Deflecting Palm is a source of damage and an ABAB pattern would work out that way.

Targeting the same Deflecting Palm twice would fizzle as damage is already prevented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

Should be the last one your opponent played but good loving luck on MTGO.

• Locked thread