Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't think the weather in Scotland is ever fine though.

I was just there three weeks ago
It was fine, sunny at times even
Didnt see any fictional cathedrals over there though, sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Limoncello is very, very good.

But I don't get the joke with the crepes?

Oh; I LIKE the costume design of Nadine; she says she feels out of place - she's the only woman wearing trousers in the whole level.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2016

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Samovar posted:

Oh; I LIKE the costume design of Nadine; she says she feels out of place - she's the only woman wearing trousers in the whole level.

the joke is he's a giant rear end in a top hat bewildered by a poor person trying to give advice and relate to him

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samovar posted:

Rich douchebag acts like rich douchebag. He is privately informed he is a rich douchebag acting like such by a guy he buys a crepe from, and then ruins that mans life because he's a rich douchebag.

Then he flubs the story while trying to tell it to his rich douchebag friends.

I agree with Ironicus that it was a good conversation in every way. The levels in it are :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh. I thought it was a pun in French.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samovar posted:

Oh. I thought it was a pun in French.

I suppose you could make one with crepe and creep.

And also, as a native French speaking (though from the godless new france and not super amazing home country of napoleon and the metric system), his accent is not HORRENDOUS, but it is very noticeable and anyone with a passing familiarity with the language can tell he's an anglo, probably a brit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tashilicious posted:

And also, as a native French speaking (though from the godless new france and not super amazing home country of napoleon and the metric system), his accent is not HORRENDOUS, but it is very noticeable and anyone with a passing familiarity with the language can tell he's an anglo, probably a brit.

Quebecer? I'm told that accent sounds as odd to True French as the English one does to Americans.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Quebecer? I'm told that accent sounds as odd to True French as the English one does to Americans.

It does. You can usually very easily spot a european french from a north-american french with accents as you could with an American and a Brit.

Getting a better fix on regional accent/dialect is harder, but it's also similar to the english equivalent.

My paternal grandmother went to Paris once with my mom, and she was trying to order "a tarte au poire" (peach pie/cobbler). Now, she is very heavily Montrealer, and her R's tend to roll a fair bit, so when you have R's close like that it can sort of muddy your phrase.

However, the parisian waiter literally kept going "I do not understand your silly accent" to her. So it was a stream of "Une tarrrrte au poirrre" and "Quoi" in a vicious cycle of french and parisian smug that nearly cratered france.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tashilicious posted:

My paternal grandmother went to Paris once with my mom, and she was trying to order "a tarte au poire" (peach pie/cobbler). Now, she is very heavily Montrealer, and her R's tend to roll a fair bit, so when you have R's close like that it can sort of muddy your phrase.

However, the parisian waiter literally kept going "I do not understand your silly accent" to her. So it was a stream of "Une tarrrrte au poirrre" and "Quoi" in a vicious cycle of french and parisian smug that nearly cratered france.

Impressive. I took French in high school and spent a couple of weeks there so naturally I assumed I was pretty good at it. Tried to show off to a French guy at summer camp and he was almost physically hurt by how bad my accent was. Basically the only difference between me and the game's anecdote is I didn't break anyone's kneecaps. And of course that was back when I was actively using the language. These days I just try to keep "I'm sorry, my French is very bad, it's been [X] years since I've used it" memorised should the need to communicate ever show up.

Man, now I want to hunt down an old commercial from the 90s or early 00s. I can't recall what it was for, but the punchline was a prasebook-using tourist saying "je voudrais faire une achete" in not only bad pronounciation but also a full American Southern drawl.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Impressive. I took French in high school and spent a couple of weeks there so naturally I assumed I was pretty good at it. Tried to show off to a French guy at summer camp and he was almost physically hurt by how bad my accent was. Basically the only difference between me and the game's anecdote is I didn't break anyone's kneecaps. And of course that was back when I was actively using the language. These days I just try to keep "I'm sorry, my French is very bad, it's been [X] years since I've used it" memorised should the need to communicate ever show up.

Man, now I want to hunt down an old commercial from the 90s or early 00s. I can't recall what it was for, but the punchline was a prasebook-using tourist saying "je voudrais faire une achete" in not only bad pronounciation but also a full American Southern drawl.

Oh god he butchered the last word. Translation, he said "I want to make a purchasing", basically. Achete is what you use for a past tense or just a different sentence structe. "je voudrais acheter" would be the proper way of saying that. In the structure you wrote, he should say "Achat", pronounced like "a-sha", or "a cat" in french.

But if you want to see the biggest differences between the languages, just look at the swears. French (from france) swears tend to be similar to english ones; scatological, sexual, descriptive this. poo poo, balls, whore, whorehouse, etc.

Quebecois swears are entirely religious. Host (Ostie), Tabernacle (Tabarnak!), Chalice (Calisse/Kaliss/cawliss depending on accent and how you wanna spew it), and so on. It's just a weird and fascinating aspect of language and culture that is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUGW0jszPzo

Uncharted; Bringing people together over linguistic and grammar trivia. :eng101:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't think the weather in Scotland is ever fine though.

Yeah, the only way to take that line is as a joke. Ironically, we had some really great weather during this game's launch week.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You know, I think Elena does know. And Sully does know she knows, as does Nate. Note that Nate only mentions she doesn't know in front of Sam. She's his ace in the hole. If poo poo goes really wrong with Sam, be it his fault or not, Nate can call her in for help.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Elena absolutely knows. She knew the second he left. Come on, Drake's excuse was literally "that thing I said last night would never happen, happened exactly like I thought it wouldn't on the very next day! What a weird coincidence!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not to mention Jameson probably called and was all "Hey Nate didn't show up for work today, what's up?". Then again maybe Drake was smart enough to say "Hey boss, can I take a vacation?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, and as for Indiana Jones references, "Belloq's Rafe's staff is too long, they're digging in the wrong place."

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone's struggling to place Nadine's voice actress, that's Laura Bailey, essentially the female counterpart to Troy (In that she's frigging' everywhere).

I'm not a huge fan of how Nadine's boss fight is handled, though that's simply because I detest the "Playable boss fight that the player has to lose," cliche. Surely Naughty Dog could have done a cutscene where Nate gets a lucky shot in and takes Nadine down, only for some goons to come in and for him to have to jump out the window. As it stands, it just felt to me like artificially making Nadine look more badass when she hasn't really earned those credentials.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I don't know, the whole scene made it pretty clear she's way better at hand to hand than Drake is.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The only problem I have with the Nadine encounter is that she is looking for the cross and well, Nate doesn't have it, so he has no reason to be so cagey.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yeah, isn't the entire point of that scene to make her earn the bad-rear end credentials that have only been hinted at in conversation up until that point?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GoneRampant posted:

If anyone's struggling to place Nadine's voice actress, that's Laura Bailey, essentially the female counterpart to Troy (In that she's frigging' everywhere).

I'm not a huge fan of how Nadine's boss fight is handled, though that's simply because I detest the "Playable boss fight that the player has to lose," cliche. Surely Naughty Dog could have done a cutscene where Nate gets a lucky shot in and takes Nadine down, only for some goons to come in and for him to have to jump out the window. As it stands, it just felt to me like artificially making Nadine look more badass when she hasn't really earned those credentials.
This game has all the best SR4 Boss voice actors

Bruceski posted:

Oh, and as for Indiana Jones references, "Belloq's Rafe's staff is too long, they're digging in the wrong place."
There are a lot of Raiders references in this game; still my favorite is the Last Crusade reference from the beginning.

Also Sully loving over Rafe at the last second of bidding is probably my favorite Sully moment

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tippis posted:

Yeah, isn't the entire point of that scene to make her earn the bad-rear end credentials that have only been hinted at in conversation up until that point?

It also fulfills the 'Nate loses at the beginning so now when they have their confrontation at the end of the game it feels satisfying' standard that's been in all of these games.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

The only problem I have with the Nadine encounter is that she is looking for the cross and well, Nate doesn't have it, so he has no reason to be so cagey.

I think he's being cagey specifically so she thinks he has it. His plan was to get the hell away and keep Sam a secret.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Drake does get a few shots in and she shrugs them off like she's a fighting game character and he's just doing chip damage so :shrug:

edit: I'm sure Drake, having been a fighting game character in the past, is already aware of this

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm in agreement with Ironicus re: the way Uncharted games introduce new characters. It gets a little annoying to have a brand new character show up and have everybody go "Yeah I remember you." and leave me mildly confused as to if I completely forgot about old characters.

That said, I'm already won over by Nadine and I like her presence in this game a lot just based on what we've seen so far.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Uncharted; Bringing people together over linguistic and grammar trivia. :eng101:

I can't wait until the MGSV LP brings this conversation into full circle with LESS ENFANTS TERRIBLESSS

Really like the rivalry brewing between Sully and Sam over who knows what's better for Nate, his surrogate grandpa or long lost brother. And with Elena that's three people looking out for him. Nathan Drake is kind of a mess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xinder posted:

I'm in agreement with Ironicus re: the way Uncharted games introduce new characters. It gets a little annoying to have a brand new character show up and have everybody go "Yeah I remember you." and leave me mildly confused as to if I completely forgot about old characters.

That said, I'm already won over by Nadine and I like her presence in this game a lot just based on what we've seen so far.

On the one hand it can be a bit disorienting for the player. On the other hand it helps promote the "has a life outside of being on-camera" aspect of worldbuilding.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

While there was a break between updates I went back to reread the UC3 LP thread and its kind of funny in retrospect how people were worried how this game was going to be all depressing and serious when the news about the creative shake ups at ND started.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hey, you know there was at least one new character where everybody else wasn't all, "It's been a while after our long and storied past together, full of interesting anecdotes that will only be alluded to."

Jeff!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

standard owl posted:

Hey, you know there was at least one new character where everybody else wasn't all, "It's been a while after our long and storied past together, full of interesting anecdotes that will only be alluded to."

Jeff!

And most of the bad guys. So not knowing Drake before an adventure means you die.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

standard owl posted:

Jeff!

That explains why they never went back to it.

tangledstring
Sep 8, 2012
Wasn't Tenzin also a character that no one has a long and storied past with?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

And Salim

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bruceski posted:

On the one hand it can be a bit disorienting for the player. On the other hand it helps promote the "has a life outside of being on-camera" aspect of worldbuilding.

Also it'd be weird if people in the treasure hunting business, which I have to imagine is relatively niche, hadn't at least heard of each other.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much only the main characters get that treatment, which makes it an even worse storytelling device because you can immediately tell if a character is important or not if they have a ~history~ with the protagonist(s).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CJacobs posted:

Pretty much only the main characters get that treatment, which makes it an even worse storytelling device because you can immediately tell if a character is important or not if they have a ~history~ with the protagonist(s).

Cutter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The guy who runs around with your gaggle of buddies for half a game isn't a main character?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CJacobs posted:

The guy who runs around with your gaggle of buddies for half a game isn't a main character?

If that's your standard, Salim and Tenzin no longer work.

Writers don't include background details on characters who don't hold significant plot relevance because doing so causes problems for the viewer/reader/player in following the plot and/or understanding what is significant. Building out Jeff, whether he was Elena's ex or they'd just met for this job, doesn't help the writing of a game if he's going to be a nonentity who gets killed off.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 9, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

God drat this game is pretty.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't even want to think how long some guy had to work on Drake's tuxedo jacket animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

It also fulfills the 'Nate loses at the beginning so now when they have their confrontation at the end of the game it feels satisfying' standard that's been in all of these games.

Yeah, it seems to be the better class of unwinnable, like Jetstream Sam. No resources wasted by a player who doesn't know it's unwinnable, early enough it leaves room to develop while late enough in that there's effective scaling (More "Oh, crap. The boss is a badass." than "My guy is just a chump.") and the mechanics make it immediately obvious you're outclassed rather than giving the feeling that maybe you could have won, if you tried harder.

Nice and neat.

• Locked thread