Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

qbert posted:

Still getting landscape freeze on 3.17 on Bookmarks screen. Happens after doing a pull to reload.

Is that what it was? The reload. Huh.

That's not so bad. I'm fine with just being able to start the app in landscape again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
On the plus side, when I reinstalled I forgot to reflexively set the browser setting to Safari and it seems like the built-in one is a lot better now. I switched over to using Safari when that option was added but I think I'll keep the Awful browser for now since it's a lot more convenient :toot:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Updated and my starred forums persisted. Good stuff. Thank you.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

david_a posted:

On the plus side, when I reinstalled I forgot to reflexively set the browser setting to Safari and it seems like the built-in one is a lot better now. I switched over to using Safari when that option was added but I think I'll keep the Awful browser for now since it's a lot more convenient :toot:

With WKWebView, The Awful browser is now literally just a hosted in-app instance of Safari :v:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This seems weird:

iPhone 6S latest version of iOS.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jealous Cow posted:

This seems weird:

I've noticed if you back out of the webview with media playing in it sometimes it doesn't destroy it and I continue to hear audio

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I just emptyquoted a post and it kicked me to the home screen

Here is the post I made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787824&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post463816557

Making this post did not kick me to the home screen.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Still having the crashing problems. Maybe a memory leak. Seems like it happens sometimes on pages with tweet embeds?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Teddybear posted:

Still having the crashing problems. Maybe a memory leak. Seems like it happens sometimes on pages with tweet embeds?

Is this on the trump thread? I've been seeing more frequent crashes too, I think the volume of twitter/image embeds there exacerbates the issue where the thread viewer always reloads from network 3 times.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Is this on the trump thread? I've been seeing more frequent crashes too, I think the volume of twitter/image embeds there exacerbates the issue where the thread viewer always reloads from network 3 times.

Come to think of it, yeah. It happens not infrequently there. Some others too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Anyone mined posting a link to a page this happens on frequently? I want to see what it does to my iPhone 5 in Awful vs Safari.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Just had it happen in the cute thread in PYF.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Teddybear posted:

Just had it happen in the cute thread in PYF.

Pretty cruel to make someone have to look through PYF.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a shortcut to embedding YouTube videos other than typing the (video type="youtube"] etc part by hand? No biggy if not.

Copy the URL, then tap in the text box to see the select/paste/etc. menu, then tap "[video]", then tap "Paste".

dragon enthusiast posted:

3.16 SE

if I log out, the app crashes the first time I try to log back in. Works just fine the second time

Noted!

glassyalabolas posted:

Awful 3.17 is in the App Store but I keep getting an error message trying to update it. I'm posting this from my computer like a neanderthal.

This seems to have fixed itself? Unfortunately it's not something I have control over, as best I can tell.

qbert posted:

Still getting landscape freeze on 3.17 on Bookmarks screen. Happens after doing a pull to reload.

Dang. Guess it's time for round two!

Housh posted:

I get a bug when I refresh my bookmarked threads only on my iPad Pro. The smiley face icon to indicate it's refreshing will keep bouncing forever until I terminate the app. Works fine on my iPhone though.

Is this still happening on Awful 3.17? Does it happen consistently for you? Anything you notice about what triggers it and what doesn't?

carry on then posted:

With WKWebView, The Awful browser is now literally just a hosted in-app instance of Safari :v:

Actually an SFSafariViewController, so it's even more tied into Safari (cookies etc.) than that!

Jealous Cow posted:

This seems weird:

Weird indeed. Wonder if we've got a retain cycle somewhere holding on to a posts page with an embed on it or something.

Regular Nintendo posted:

I've noticed if you back out of the webview with media playing in it sometimes it doesn't destroy it and I continue to hear audio

By "webview" here do you mean the Awful Browser aka Safari View Controller?

anthonypants posted:

I just emptyquoted a post and it kicked me to the home screen

Here is the post I made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787824&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post463816557

Making this post did not kick me to the home screen.

Sorry for your loss. I wonder if it was related to the content of the post, or just some other coincidental fuckup. Either way, I'll check the crash logs!

Teddybear posted:

I'll poke around.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pokeyman posted:

Copy the URL, then tap in the text box to see the select/paste/etc. menu, then tap "[video]", then tap "Paste".

For some reason I thought I'd tried this, but maybe I imagined it! Thanks

Testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz4NNKYNumM

E: perfecto!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The Dave posted:

Pretty cruel to make someone have to look through PYF.

It's the cute thread though! It's cute! :3:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

By "webview" here do you mean the Awful Browser aka Safari View Controller?

Yes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Whoops, got the two mixed up in my head, it is SFSafariViewController isn't it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crap. Not sure how much we can fiddle with it then.

carry on then posted:

Whoops, got the two mixed up in my head, it is SFSafariViewController isn't it?

It is.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
So this happens a lot, mostly when I try to upload pics from my ipad and uploads several at a time

Try again with only three pics and it still doesn't work.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's been happening to me for a few years now. I think it has something to do with imgurl and not Awful.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Imgur rate limiting.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah, I can't really remember a time it worked for me but I still try it almost every time anyway

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Not a viking posted:

So this happens a lot, mostly when I try to upload pics from my ipad and uploads several at a time

Try again with only three pics and it still doesn't work.

Sorry about that. It's probably the most brought up issue around these parts. Someday…

Speaking of The List, combing through like 3+ years of backlog is pretty gross. Anyway, if anyone's looking for the TODO list, it's now in the repo proper (instead of a gist only I can edit, how thoughtful of me).

Who am I kidding, it's a completely unreadable list.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
anyone else have an issue on the app when trying to view your own profile? not that it matters, but my own profile loads up as a blank page. It's for the best, probably

E: iPhone 6s

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wait-how do you upload pics in the app?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

long press when making a post and pick [img]

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

baram. posted:

long press when making a post and pick [img]

Holy poo poo this is game changing.

Test:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good dog

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey does this work

Edit: that's loving awesome.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

that doggo's sense of floof must be heightened since it clearly sacrificed it's sense of sight.

good doggos

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

It also does cats

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Hey that's neat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thought for a second this was the 'pictures that look NWS but aren't' thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

App is crashing a lot for me since the latest update. I'm on iOS 10.0.1, 6s+

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Just copied a quote link, switched to Messages and then back to Awful app, and immediately swiped back from the thread to my Bookmarks page. However Awful created the "Detected an SA link -- open it? Or ignore it?" modal dialog box at the same time. The result of which was Awful became entirely nonresponsive to touch till I force-quit it!

I didn't think to try rotating my phone to Landscape or whatever. Also note that I copied the SA link by long-pressing on the attribution link of a quote tag, which I think is why it made the modal dialog box -- usually I copy links to posts by tapping the unfilled "•••" ellipsis symbol at the bottom right of the post in question and hitting "Link" and selecting "Copy" from there.

I believe my usual method causes Awful to instantly recognize the link so it won't react specially if it later sees that same link in the clipboard. Whereas this unusual method appeared to bypass the "recognize on copy" behavior.

(Also I still want threads to open to the correctly-scrolled place when the app reopens after being evicted from memory!)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seconding the frequent crashes, usually on page load or after replying

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Using the iOS 10 GM here and yeah, lots of crashing.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i guess i'll stay on whatever 10-beta i'm on since it doesn't crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's not crashing for me on 10.0.1 :shrug:

• Locked thread