Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I could have sworn there was an ambassador whose name started with M. M'rel or something like that?

There was an Andorian ambassador M'Giia in Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
M'lady

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's not very logical to have everyone have similar names in your whole culture. Unless Spock's full name rivals Siddig el Fadil's :v:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Spock el Spawk el Spahk el Spunk Spork Spook Spank Splock

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Welcome to Vulcan, the planet of 44 people.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I could have sworn there was an ambassador whose name started with M. M'rel or something like that?

M'ret was one of the pro-Unification guys Troi helped escape when she was undercover, but he was Romulan.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cojawfee posted:

Welcome to Vulcan, the planet of 44 people.
Well, in the JJ timeline it's even fewer...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cojawfee posted:

Welcome to Vulcan, the debris field of 4.4 billion people.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm pretty sure that I could out-drink an alien like Scotty did.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know there's no real answer for this, but Rom being a "failure" for being an amazing engineer with no business talent bugs the hell out of me. For businesses to prosper, don't people need to have services to sell? Rom should just have gotten a manager/business partner to market his talents if he couldn't do it himself.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

For a doctor, Bashir racks up a bit of a body count. That's a beautiful explosion effect too.

The Founders being biological whiz kids makes sense, but it's sort of strange too--how could a shapeshifter know about its form's internal anatomy? It isn't absorbing their data like an Andalite, so there's no physical connection between a changeling and the forms it can take. At some point they'd either have to have dissected a real creature or else all of their knowledge is stolen from the races they conquered, which is actually a theory I like more. The Changelings being vacuous rulers who had earned their godhood title based on absolutely no real merit of their own feels incredibly fitting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McNally posted:

There was an Andorian ambassador M'Giia in Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy.

MorgaineDax posted:

M'ret was one of the pro-Unification guys Troi helped escape when she was undercover, but he was Romulan.

I think I mixed the name up with M'Ress, the cat lady from TAS.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm spending my 50th watching an excellent episode from each series.

I need your help, though: which Voyager episode should I feature?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Zurui posted:

The Thaw, that one episode where the Doctor writes a holonovel that pisses everyone off, the episode where the Doctor becomes Hatsune Miku, basically any episode starring the Doctor.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have a weird soft spot for Omega.

Obvious answer is Tuvix.

Less obvious: Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy

Comedy answer is Threshold.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I vote for Blink of an Eye. I watched Trials and Tribblations today, and I'm gonna watch the new WoK Director's Cut at a friend's place tonight.

I also sold a big chunk of my Eaglemoss Star Trek ships on ebay so happy 50th anniversary :toot:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timeless is the only Voyager episode that I remember the name of offhand, so I reckon it's good.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

that name is reserved for the nerdy fish race with the vape harmonicas :colbert:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I vote for Blink of an Eye.

Yeah, second. It's pretty Star-Trekky.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

Zurui posted:

I'd probably go for Living Witness. It's pretty unvoyagery but then that might be a selling point

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I'd vote for Timeless too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Evek posted:

Really not sure if Justman is trolling Gene or being sincere.

It's a joke memo.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Both. Go through that list and say them aloud. A good third of them are audibly the same.

Also several sound dirty and at least two are racial slurs.

WickedHate posted:

I know there's no real answer for this, but Rom being a "failure" for being an amazing engineer with no business talent bugs the hell out of me. For businesses to prosper, don't people need to have services to sell? Rom should just have gotten a manager/business partner to market his talents if he couldn't do it himself.

Yeah, Rom's character was changed hugely over time. Remember how he was so obsessed with getting the bar that he actually tried to murder Quark in the first season? Kinda weird on rewatch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think it would have been cool if we'd started seeing saucer-less Galaxys.

EDIT: I mean, really, they should have separated Odyssey for what was obviously a combat mission.

The Saucer has additional impulse reactors, both together are more powerful than the hull alone, even if only a bit, and probably has more self-repair and supply ability in a long term war like the dominion.

I would imagine large portions of the thing were empty space - supposedly even portions of the D saucer were just structural framework for future occupancy. Maybe in the war they swapped out labs for extra reactors or something.

The Odyssey didn't need to seperate because she offloaded her non-essential personnel onto DS9.

Plus for a recon mission, the saucer has all the good sensors.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 9, 2016

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Data Graham posted:

Saavik being an example of the variation on the rule (which I think I also heard) that said all Vulcan names (regardless of sex) should start with S and end with K (which also gives us Sybok).

I feel like there has been one hell of a game of telephone between all the various creative teams over the decades.

You could almost make that the rule for families. Spock's family names were all S___K names, or something like that. Maybe Tuvok's family names were all T___K names.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Like quark was gonna let basically free maintenance go? I assure you, quark would have squashed any potential partners.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

50 years ago right now, 'The Man Trap' aired on NBC.

It's airing right now on BBC-A in better quality than it aired back then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bull3964 posted:

Useless trivia - Ensign Darnell, the first of many Ensign Rickys to be sacrificed for the good of the Federation, was played by Michael Zaslow. Zaslow would gain great fame in the 70s & 80s as soap opera villain Roger Thorpe. Then he got ALS and died.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WickedHate posted:

Perhaps this was the Ferengi equivalent of being a STEM major. If you aren't good at business you just ain't good and should have applied yourself harder to profit-seeking, you dumb loving idiots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Voyager 5x23: Relativity -

I'm a time travel nerd so the plot of this episode appeals to me. Also the future uniforms are pretty excellent.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, Rom's character was changed hugely over time. Remember how he was so obsessed with getting the bar that he actually tried to murder Quark in the first season? Kinda weird on rewatch.

he was still obsessed with getting the bar in the second to last episode. on the other hand, in the first season there was that episode where quark spread that replicator disease that made it so you can't communicate. odo busted quark on the basis that quark said rom fixed the replicator and he said something like "rom couldn't fix a sandwich"

now keep in mind, odo had known quark for like 5 years at this point. jesus he's a lovely security guy too. worf was right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everyone in Star Trek is the worst at everything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bull3964 posted:

Lol @ that plant puppet which is a guy with his hand in a pink glove.

Picture quality's excellent though.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Civil Defense is a good episode.

That is all.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone in Star Trek is the worst at everything.

Sisko is terrible at being married for long :ocelot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harry Kim is bad at noticing that Ensign Jenkins is practically begging him to throw her over the console and have his way with her right there on the bridge.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Timeless is the only Voyager episode that I remember the name of offhand, so I reckon it's good.

I like Timeless because Geordi explains in no uncertain terms that Chakotay is effectively committing mass murder and Chakotay gives no fucks.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You can't just bust quark though. He's mostly harmless, and knows about all the illegal business that goes through the station. It's good to have a predictable crime boss running the show. Illegal poo poo is gonna happen, might as well keep an eye on one person who's gonna know everything, and bust the underlings.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

quark is more of an underling/middle man than a crime boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Better the ferengi you know than the naussican you don't :colbert: