Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Another example is from Reconguista where the guy (is it Cumpa?) is sidling out of shot behind the space pope when something gets announced. It's a thing that gets brought up a lot as a "wow I didn't notice that first time I watched" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Miyazaki is the grumpy old man of anime, Tomino is the crazy man shouting at kids to get off his lawn.

He'd honestly be seen as a lot less like that if there was a broader selection of his stuff translated. IIRC he even has a weekly column (or something along those lines) but you only hear about what he has to say when it can be painted as controversial.

One example I like to use is how he had positive and negative things to say about the first episode of Attack on Titan but the story everyone ran with is "Crazy old Tomino hates the newest popular anime!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Srice posted:

He'd honestly be seen as a lot less like that if there was a broader selection of his stuff translated. IIRC he even has a weekly column (or something along those lines) but you only hear about what he has to say when it can be painted as controversial.

One example I like to use is how he had positive and negative things to say about the first episode of Attack on Titan but the story everyone ran with is "Crazy old Tomino hates the newest popular anime!"

I'd actually like to read more of his musings myself.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

Another example is from Reconguista where the guy (is it Cumpa?) is sidling out of shot behind the space pope when something gets announced. It's a thing that gets brought up a lot as a "wow I didn't notice that first time I watched" moment.

still makes me laugh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EthanSteele posted:

Reconguista is full of stuff like this. See if you can spot how early in the series Raraiya actually starts regaining her mind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just finished Seed and boy was that a television show. I'm gonna break up Seed and Destiny with catching up to IBO and then I'll start that loving thing. Idk, I've heard tell of how Destiny is basically the worst of the two, but I have a hard time believing that when Seed bored the poo poo out of me for the most part and only near the end did poo poo finally start happening. Rau's voice actor was drat amazing though, bless him and his ham.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm glad you are watching a more good Gundam before going to a more bad one

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Destiny actually starts out fairly decently, and there's even a genuinely pretty good colony drop sequence from what I remember. But then it gets bad... Really bad.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Destiny is nowhere near as bad as Age.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's when kira and the cast appear

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone defend age anymore? It's gotten to the point where we barley talk about it, and we've always got someone trudging through a bad or dumb show we can get a conversation out of. But not age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone defend age anymore? It's gotten to the point where we barley talk about it, and we've always got someone trudging through a bad or dumb show we can get a conversation out of. But not age.

Nobody really defended Age to begin with aside from vague "it's not THAT bad."

I mean I'll defend it as "good concept, poor execution" but that's about it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

AGE is a great example of what not to do with writing, animation short cuts and pacing for example!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually I'll defend Age's music. Age had some really loving good songs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Age has better than average pacing for a Gundam show

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fine, if we're trying to find good things to say about AGE, It has a man willing to wear a full space navy uniform underneath a trench coat and fedora for dramatic purposes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
AGE had episode 26.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
AGE has a flying lemon with punchy arms. It also has some okay Gundam designs, even if they do look like a strange mix of 00, IBO and UC designs.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Some (definitely not all) of the AGE mobile suits were cool. Gundam Legilis was a neat mix between the 2 sides' styles.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Age has SUPER PILOT, racist genocidal grandpa, and the most comically awful villainous master plan & motivation combo. A lot of it is just terribly dull but every few episodes something makes you laugh with how stupid and trite it is.

Age is much worse than Destiny but I find the latter more rage inducing than the former which is just boring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Age has SUPER PILOT, racist genocidal grandpa, and the most comically awful villainous master plan & motivation combo. A lot of it is just terribly dull but every few episodes something makes you laugh with how stupid and trite it is.

Age is much worse than Destiny but I find the latter more rage inducing than the former which is just boring.

In the positives column, Destiny also has "Stargazer" as a spinoff, which is much, much better than anything associated with Age.

If you're going to watch Destiny anyway, at least track down Stargazer to get something halfway decent out of it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

A lot of the concepts of age were really cool- century long war, how that could change a young pilot over the years, a child growing up in their father's shadow, etc.

Just the execution was so, so bad. Also nothing in gen 3 was good, aside from some mobile suit deigns. .

The second gen suits were legit awesome though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

A lot of the concepts of age were really cool- century long war, how that could change a young pilot over the years, a child growing up in their father's shadow, etc.

Just the execution was so, so bad. Also nothing in gen 3 was good, aside from some mobile suit deigns. .

The second gen suits were legit awesome though.

The Age-2 was kind of ugly, though. That transformation was really clumsy.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

There was that cool scene in the first ep where flit shanked the vegan suit with his beam knife

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
hello did someone say girard spriggan

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

hello did someone say girard spriggan

I thought they said elbow smash.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is 0083 Rebellion worth a read? I was thinking of checking it out after I'm finished with The Origin.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Man, G Gundam feels like a totally different show once they reach Hong Kong.

I'm so good at video games I make them explode so this show really speaks to me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has there been any news about the Build Fighters OVA since it was announced?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Has there been any news about the Build Fighters OVA since it was announced?

It came out, and can be veiwed on gundaminfo's youtube page

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

It came out, and can be veiwed on gundaminfo's youtube page

I assumed they meant the Build Fighter classic one, not the Try one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I assumed they meant the Build Fighter classic one, not the Try one.

Oh right. Then no, as far as I'm aware

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

they made it and then threw it into a fire

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't build fighters begin with an ova before th TV series was made?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't build fighters begin with an ova before th TV series was made?

No, that was Gunpla Builders Beginning G. Similar premise, very different (and much worse) show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh right, that was the one that was almost Pokémon like with the whole gunpla master nonsense right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Build Fighters Try brought back the idea that clear plastic is magic from Builders Beginning

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Build Fighters Try brought back the idea that clear plastic is magic from Builders Beginning

What was the clear plastic spot in Try? It was the Quebeley Papillon's gimmick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not Dave posted:

Mind you, a good chunk of Try suits did seem to get superpowers from including more clear plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not Dave posted:

Clear as in transparent colors, not as in colorless transparent.