Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Strategists. They're Alberta-based so a lot of their episodes have a heavy Alberta-focused but they also cover federal politics. Last episode was a deep-dive into the Alberta PCs' new leadership rules.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-08/why-trudeau-is-like-trump

Trudeau’s dominance of social media has made him wildly popular. A poll in the middle of the summer claimed that he would “win 80 percent of seats if an election were held today.” And this during a period when Canada shed 71,000 full-time jobs; the justice minister informed the Assembly of First Nations that Canada wouldn’t be adopting the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples as it had repeatedly promised; and the Atlantic provinces also lost their traditional guaranteed appointment to the Supreme Court, a matter of importance to a country with intense regional differences. Each of these issues, in any other period of Canadian history, might have led to serious political crises.

Here’s the foremost of Trudeau’s lessons so far: If you can control the viral space, traditional politics don’t matter. Virality provides one of the greatest political covers ever. While Trudeau was being photographed with the pandas, Canada quietly approved a sale of weapons to Saudi Arabia that made it the second-biggest arms dealer in the Middle East. During Elbowgate, an assisted suicide law was passed that should have been hugely controversial. Instead of discussing the medicalization of death, Canada’s public media were obsessed with how forcefully the prime minister had brushed aside one of his colleagues and whether he apologized too much.

His opponents, who’ve tried to paint him as shallow and stupid, miss the point. He understands the division of labor: He’s the Face, so that the faceless bureaucrats can do their jobs. His task as prime minister is to create the conditions under which what he considers the best policies, crafted by experts, can be implemented. He possesses an odd combination of total narcissism and complete lack of ego. If I were his political opponents, I’d fear him deeply. He can get things done with the Canadian people barely noticing, whether they like it or not.

Conservative and NDP social media is so awful, Libs are going to rule forever.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Neither have a party leader at this point either, just damaged goods

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We need an obese female health minister

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

the trump tutelage posted:

Assholish reminder that black people make up 3% of the population. It's far more egregious a racial oversight that there aren't any East Asian and specifically Chinese people in his cabinet.

Sure, I just think the phrasing was funny.

"You don't have anyone like me in your racially diverse cabinet."

"Well, we have work to do."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I don't know about that, I never listen to podcasts.

BUT I did listen to this one today, recorded yesterday, and thought it was quite good.

Has Conservatism Fallen Off The Right Edge Of The Cliff? with Stephen Lautens

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/canadianglen/2016/09/08/has-conservatism-fallen-off-the-right-edge-of-the-cliff-with-stephen-lautens

Thank you for this, it was surprisingly good. A little too much focus on Trump, but I guess their idea is that we arent too far behind. Kind of scary to think Harper might have actually been keeping our political right in line. Or at least quiet in the background.

e: Lautens keeps calling the Koch brothers the "cock brothers" and I dont know if its intentional or not but I cant stop laughing.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 9, 2016

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

the trump tutelage posted:

Assholish reminder that black people make up 3% of the population. It's far more egregious a racial oversight that there aren't any East Asian and specifically Chinese people in his cabinet.

I'll bite. Apologies if I'm tripping over Poe's Law here.

"Grace-Edward Galabuzi, Ryerson University associate professor in the department of politics and public administration, notes that there were five Black/Caribbean Canadians and about three East Asian Canadians who were elected but not represented in the cabinet, and yet there are four South Asians appointed."

Reminds me of situations I've run into working with coastal First Nations. First Nations guy who's been working on the project for years is highly competent and well qualified, but his family came from the village up the next inlet rather than this one, therefore he doesn't count when we're discussing First Nations involvement. No detail is too small for discriminating people.

If we're going to throw in some weighting to get more East Asian cabinet members should it be towards mainland or Taiwan ancestry? Might make a difference in policy if the PROC continues its dick swinging in the South China Sea. This sort of thing could really make PM Selfie's selection matrix an utter bitch.

gently caress. This is giving me flashbacks to working a sawmill with the "fuking ragheads are taking are jerbs" poo poo flying around.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Trudeau is saving it for the next round where he gets to have the most progressive cabinet ever, all over again.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

blah_blah posted:

Trudeau is saving it for the next round where he gets to have the most progressive cabinet ever, all over again.

Left of the NDP!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Where's the Deaf/hard-of-hearing representation in Trudeau's cabinet

I demand representation regardless of competence

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And the guys with big dicks like me? We're underrepresented yet make up like 3% of the population

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I demand Nazi representation, too. Just get some blond slacker, give him a haircut and black suit, he doesn't have to be a real Nazi, and let him play League in the Ministry offices all day while trudeau comes in at lunch to smoke a bowl. Trot out the fellow here and there to be a mouthpiece for generic government policies, boom. The old men of Bruderheim are satisfied, their votes secured.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Might as well at never-nudes to that list.

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

So we are mocking visible minorities who suffer from mis- and under- representation every day for having the audacity to want to be represented in government?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The government doesn't even represent the political will of the people, what the gently caress difference does it make what ethnicity they are?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I dunno, I think a looot of brown people would disagree and say it does matter. Quite a bit. Why start trusting paternal whitey to start making decisions that benefit them now?

I mean, I get mocking the abacus-manipulating "one of these, three of those, a sprinkle of that... there, racism is over" sort of mentality that no doubt drives the LPC brain, but even with all the stupid baggage, greater representation of minorities in all levels of government is objectively A Good Thing.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Stickarts posted:

So we are mocking visible minorities who suffer from mis- and under- representation every day for having the audacity to want to be represented in government?

We're mocking the inane idea that Cabinet and/or Parliament should be a perfect microcosm of Canada, because for like 30 years now there's been a cottage industry of people acting earnestly and gravely shocked that the democratic process hasn't produced a Parliament with precisely twelve black people, six Sikhs, one-and-two-thirds Eastern European women...

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Stickarts posted:

I dunno, I think a looot of brown people would disagree and say it does matter. Quite a bit. Why start trusting paternal whitey to start making decisions that benefit them now?

You can't possibly believe that you're contradicting anyone in this thread by saying this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Canadians don't give a gently caress about policy apparently, Stevey Harper would probably still be in office if he had just managed to form a cabinet that was 51% women, 4.8% South Asian, 4% Chinese, 2.9% Black, etc, etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sell all the weapons to Saudi Arabia you want as long as the minister approving the sale isn't a white guy.

Whoops, guess that one was Stephane Dion, let's criticize the government.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

You quote two of three paragraphs I wrote, skipping the one where I explain I understand and even agree to a certain extent with the cynical humour, then proceed to explain to me what I already stated I understand.

And I believe there was a shitload of people in this thread who admitted to having little-to no daily interactions with FNMI and were confused as to why that might be problematic. Just because we are all filthy commies in here doesn't mean we all have a perfect understanding of race. I'm not even insinuating I do here, cuz I deffo don't, but when a thread full of (presumably) white males starts mocking minority representation the hair on my neck goes up a bit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When he's reelected with 105% of the vote Justin Trudeau will appoint the most representative cabinet in Canadian history. The only hard part will be finding 36 million ministries to hand out.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ikantski posted:

He’s the Face, so that the faceless bureaucrats can do their jobs. His task as prime minister is to create the conditions under which what he considers the best policies, crafted by experts, can be implemented. He possesses an odd combination of total narcissism and complete lack of ego. If I were his political opponents, I’d fear him deeply. He can get things done with the Canadian people barely noticing, whether they like it or not.

So he's basically Zaphod.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stickarts posted:

I mean, I get mocking the abacus-manipulating "one of these, three of those, a sprinkle of that... there, racism is over" sort of mentality that no doubt drives the LPC brain, but even with all the stupid baggage, greater representation of minorities in all levels of government is objectively A Good Thing.

Like, I agree with you that minority representation in government is a good thing, but I absolutely cannot stand the fact that this is what people have chosen to criticize Trudeau over. Not his terrible policies, not his bad actions, not the fact that Liberal priorities like continuing to support the tar sands and export weaponry to oppressive dictatorships are objectively making the world a worse place. But the fact that his representative cabinet isn't quite representative enough.

It's yet another emblem of our obsession with optics over substance. We love Trudeau because he walks around shirtless, does yoga, calls himself a feminist, and hugs panda bears. We hate him when he doesn't appoint enough minorities to cabinet or shoves his way through a crowd. We never once bring policy into it, because who cares about that boring poo poo?????

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

vyelkin posted:

Like, I agree with you that minority representation in government is a good thing, but I absolutely cannot stand the fact that this is what people have chosen to criticize Trudeau over. Not his terrible policies, not his bad actions, not the fact that Liberal priorities like continuing to support the tar sands and export weaponry to oppressive dictatorships are objectively making the world a worse place. But the fact that his representative cabinet isn't quite representative enough.

It's yet another emblem of our obsession with optics over substance. We love Trudeau because he walks around shirtless, does yoga, calls himself a feminist, and hugs panda bears. We hate him when he doesn't appoint enough minorities to cabinet or shoves his way through a crowd. We never once bring policy into it, because who cares about that boring poo poo?????

And I 100%, unequivocally, agree with you. Inside or out of this thread, I have been extremely critical of the libs and my tack on this issue isn't meant as some rousing defence of liberal policy at all.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

So he's basically Zaphod.

If this whole PM thing is just a scheme to heist the one remaining avro arrow, my opinion of him will go up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
What about nudist under representation? A not insignificant portion of the population self identifies as nudists and feels the need for proper representation. Where will identity politics end exactly?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

What about nudist under representation? A not insignificant portion of the population self identifies as nudists and feels the need for proper representation. Where will identity politics end exactly?

How can we trust Members of Parliament who wear a cloth over their bodies while they talk? How do we know what they're thinking?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jm20 posted:

Justin Trudeau is basically a nudist already, so you're covered.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

How can we trust Members of Parliament who wear a cloth over their bodies while they talk? How do we know what they're thinking?

I, for one, do not trust a minister who will not cover his genitals in protest against the behavior of the PM's nipples.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

Justin Trudeau is basically a nudist already, so you're covered.

Covered is the exact opposite of what I am advocating for. How can we trust Sarah Hoffman for instance if she wears clothes? What about Brad Wall? If they wear clothes they are obviously hiding something.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just scoop parliamentarian brains into jars, because the meat they wear inhibits truly logical policy work.

800 quatloos on the newcomer!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I for one will not rest until the speaking order at question period is composed using the progressive stack.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Next time someone calls this thread a leftist groupthink circle jerk, just pretend I quoted all the posts on this page in response.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
'The left' as you remember it is dead. It was killed by the new left, which is a group of people yelling at each other about how their safe space wasn't respected and they got triggered by the micro aggressions of the person next to them while ignoring the giant boot that's stamping on everyone's face forever.

EDIT: and they love Trudeau, because he went to pride.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This thread is an angry ball of cynicism and hate with no one true target.

Are we allowed to post Libs gonna Lib yet? I feel like we have more than enough ammunition to do so.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

This is pretty true. Everyone in here is either trolling, full of toxic hate, literally retarded, or a combo of the above.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

Are we allowed to post Libs gonna Lib yet? I feel like we have more than enough ammunition to do so.

This goes against thread group-think, but you may proceed.

LEGAL WEED, COMING SPRING 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

We've been posting it since election day, why stop now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

We've been posting it since election day, why stop now?

Speak for yourself. To be fair, these Libs didn't lib that hard. They campaigned on a tax cut for people rich enough to understand tax brackets, voted yes on C-51 with nebulous adjustments forthcoming and said they'd do the Saudi deal. I have to think that smart people who voted Liberal knew what they were going to get.