Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A Note 7 burned a family's Jeep to the ground yesterday in St. Petersburg, Florida.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/us-world-news/203370813-story

This is starting to seem significantly more than 1%. If you are determined to keep your device, charge if outdoors and on something that can't catch fire. Never leave it unattended near anything flammable

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm going to be headed to the the EU in a couple of weeks from the US. Is it possible to use Android pay or do I have to pay with cash for everything?
Haven't seen this answered but I just moved to the UK from the US and could easily use my Android Pay with my Bank of America card without a hassle at anywhere that took contactless cards, which is pretty much everywhere.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Definitely seems like a big deal, but more than 1% would require there to be a lot less Note 7s sold or a lot more incidents.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A Note 7 burned a family's Jeep to the ground yesterday in St. Petersburg, Florida.

This is starting to seem significantly more than 1%. If you are determined to keep your device, charge if outdoors and on something that can't catch fire. Never leave it unattended near anything flammable

It's not even close to 1%, your math is significantly off.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

This isn't a Nexus phone, there were a lot sold. It isn't even close to 1% just because of news articles though your reactionary posts so far in this thread are on par with this.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Considering the Galaxy Note 7's reputation has been decimated, I'm guessing Samsung will offer some incredible deals once they start selling it again.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I'm a little suspicious because

quote:

Nathan said his vehicle was a point of pride, telling FOX 13 News he had made many upgrades to the vehicle. Now those upgrades are ashes and Nathan will have to find a new ride.

I mean, maybe it was the phone, or maybe he tried to burn down his truck to get a big fat settlement from Samsung and he's trying to play it up.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

monster on a stick posted:

I'm a little suspicious because

I mean, maybe it was the phone, or maybe he tried to burn down his truck to get a big fat settlement from Samsung and he's trying to play it up.

It sounds a lot like the local news was trying to appeal to their viewers actually.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mogomra posted:

It sounds a lot like the local news was trying to appeal to their viewers actually.

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff that local news goes crazy for. If/when it turns out to be a fraud they can run with that story too. Definite win-win.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

XIII posted:

My debit card is chip and PIN (in the rare case the chip reader works. 90% of the time it's still swipe and PIN)

Actually most debit cards are able to be processed as debit (chip + pin or swipe +pin) and that same card may be processed as a credit transaction (chip + signature or swipe + signature) provided it has a visa or MasterCard logo but the money is still deducted from your account directly

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like I missed something not reading the thread for a couple of weeks when we're suddenly acting like Samsung doesn't produce garbage that should be avoided. I'm not even talking about their phones melting down, what changed were we all decided living with TouchWiz bullshit was ok?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The only people who decided TouchWiz bullshit was okay are the same people who are now okay with houses burning down because the Note 7 is so good, man!!!!

No one with any sense is advocating Samsung.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

No you don't get it, you can almost get rid of most of TouchWiz, which is preferable to just getting a phone without it because

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

I feel like I missed something not reading the thread for a couple of weeks when we're suddenly acting like Samsung doesn't produce garbage that should be avoided. I'm not even talking about their phones melting down, what changed were we all decided living with TouchWiz bullshit was ok?

I am okay with, and actually don't mind using at all, the newest iterations of Touchwiz found on the S7/Note 7. I usually install Good Lock which has some neat features, and some Samsung apps/features are much better than stock, such as the Camera app. I've been using Nexus since the Nexus S and like that too, nothing wrong with enjoying more than one platform.

LastInLine posted:

The only people who decided TouchWiz bullshit was okay are the same people who are now okay with houses burning down because the Note 7 is so good, man!!!!

No one with any sense is advocating Samsung.

:lol: never mind, this thread is ridiculous.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Note 7 is finally as life changing as its supporters always thought it would be

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To be fair to Samsung, they finally found a way to top Apple in the news cycle on a day when the new iPhone was announced.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Humerus posted:

No you don't get it, you can almost get rid of most of TouchWiz, which is preferable to just getting a phone without it because

1% of Note 7's get rid of it on their own.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/FAANews/status/774025375722639360

I don't see how the Note 7 line has a permanent black mark at this point.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

1% of Note 7's get rid of it on their own.

In the only appropriate way, cleansing fire.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Three Olives posted:

I don't understand why Samsung hasn't been forced to issue a recall by now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, they should recall every single note 7

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Can't wait for the Note 8, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Actually, they did a (voluntary) recall- in ten countries, amounting to 2.5 million devices.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-canada-recall-1.3750978

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Three Olives posted:

because it's still a really great phone!!!!!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mister Macys posted:

Actually, they did a (voluntary) recall- in ten countries, amounting to 2.5 million devices.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-canada-recall-1.3750978

In the USA it is technically a "product exchange" and not a recall coordinated with the CPSC. The distinction means you can still buy a Note 7 today from a retailer and it wouldn't be illegal.

http://www.recode.net/2016/9/2/12778440/samsung-note-recall-concerns-feds

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You guys really need to shoot deregulators. Just sayin'.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Macys posted:

You guys really need to shoot deregulators. Just sayin'.

At least firearms are (mostly) unregulated! And, yeah, it's not a recall unless it's a mandatory recall coordinated with the appropriate government agency. That includes signs in all stores that sold the product, as well as doing your best to contact customers, a task that is trivial given that you *have their phone numbers*.

I agree with everybody in the thread -- Samsung is going to have to re-release the product with a distinctively marked case if they want it to be allowed on planes and so on.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Where/what brand USB C to A can I buy that won't explode my Moto Z?

If I have an A to C cable can I use my existing Anker battery backup to charge it?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Do you think you can smother a burning phone by hitting it against your desk just right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CLAM DOWN posted:

never mind, this thread is ridiculous.

You think it's okay to trust your communications of last resort and digital identity to a literal time bomb.

You don't get to say this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

7.0 image is out for the 6P, is this a new build? Maybe this the fix for the halted rollout.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You think it's okay to trust your communications of last resort and digital identity to a literal time bomb.

You don't get to say this.

I do not think that's okay and I do not think that. Don't put words in my mouth or tell me what I think, please.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Millions of people have bought the N7 at this point and nearly every instance of "phone lights self on fire" is being reported. It's bad enough that these days you can literally get Samsung'd to death by your huge demon phone burning your house down around you as you sleep but it isn't like they only sold a few thousand like OnePlus does.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Where/what brand USB C to A can I buy that won't explode my Moto Z?

If I have an A to C cable can I use my existing Anker battery backup to charge it?

Any cable that is approved by Benson Leung should be fine: https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

Yup, a working A to C cable and your external battery should work, just don't expect fast charging.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

As I said earlier though, since Samsung seems to be unable or unwilling to ID specific bad batches, it's going to become impossible to check for the suspect devices once replacement devices start hitting the channel. So, any place where it's important that you don't have a pocket bomb will keep the ban in place long after the replacement devices have come out unless Samsung is providing a means to identify the Rev2 version of the Note 7.

Seems like the best approach at this point for Samsung would be to quick-run off a million new backplates with Note7 Model B on it and replace the plate when they swap or confirm safe the battery.

Wait, it's unibody, isn't it. Is there something they could replace easily to mark it when they're in-repair?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

go3 posted:

because it's still a really great phone!!!!!

This.

The camera on it is amazing and made some of the best pictures of my children ever, god rest their souls (died in a house fire :( )

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

that's a drat shame :sympathy:

was that before or after you got arrested for terrorism and never heard from again because your phone went up on a plane, and you knew better, but you couldn't not bring that glorious phone with a minor battery combustion issue on a plane

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Are there moral and/or ethical ramifications of sending pallets of unsold Galaxy Note 7s to impoverished third world countries?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

isndl posted:

Are there moral and/or ethical ramifications of sending pallets of unsold Galaxy Note 7s to impoverished third world countries?

solve world hunger by giving every starving child the ability to order a pizza

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

solve world hunger by giving every starving child the ability to order a pizza

And cook the pizza as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So maybe you guys can help me. Chrome on my shield tablet stopped playing videos. It plays the first second normally, then after one second the picture stops and the sound keeps going. After four seconds the sound also stops and nothing happens anymore. This happens with .webm files and pretty much every video streaming site.
It only happens in chrome, everything works fine in Firefox or things like the YouTube app.
I already tried restarting the tablet and deactivating/uninstalling all chrome updates and letting it update again.
Anyone got any ideas?